The Rumour Thread

4 minutes ago, novakai said:

I wonder if the recent lore bits of Gitmob being connected to Hysh and the sun related to the hint GW gave at the end.

Maybe Angel Aelves vs Grots and Sky titans or something

Or Giant Angel Aelves

Oh lordie, a Hysh army of sky grots, not an aelf in sight.  That would be profoundly entertaining.

Edited by amysrevenge
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

Thinking out loud here - GW has two fantasy games at present. High magic AoS and low magic Lord of the Rings. What if in 3 years the Lord o the Rings contract ends; or what if in that time GW feels that they've covered most of the armies, models and range from the films and hasn't any room to really expand without creating more of their own original content or going into the Silmarillion (which is very niche). As a result with a 3rd party licence that could expire and which might not want GW playing with their setting to create new stuff - perhaps GW's plan is to replace Lord of the Rings with Old World.

If not formally then informally; since by that stage GW might be running out of ways to release new stuff for Lord of the Rings and thus it might slow down in attention. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Overread said:

Thinking out loud here - GW has two fantasy games at present. High magic AoS and low magic Lord of the Rings. What if in 3 years the Lord o the Rings contract ends; or what if in that time GW feels that they've covered most of the armies, models and range from the films and hasn't any room to really expand without creating more of their own original content or going into the Silmarillion (which is very niche). As a result with a 3rd party licence that could expire and which might not want GW playing with their setting to create new stuff - perhaps GW's plan is to replace Lord of the Rings with Old World.

If not formally then informally; since by that stage GW might be running out of ways to release new stuff for Lord of the Rings and thus it might slow down in attention. 

I don't know I feel like with the new  LotrTV show coming out, they would try to keep the license and work with Amazon studio to make new mini for the range. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RexHavoc said:

There is a lot to unpack in this announcement. As someone that has continued to enjoy WFB & loved the first three years of AoS (this year has been ok, but I'm not impressed with many of the releases), I'm not actually as excited over the announcement as someone who loves WFB should be (Though I'm not going to shout and rant and rage on facebook either!) but it was better than I'd actually expected it be and the announcement & tease today was far better done than yesterdays.

The good-

• The old world is back!
  • We might finally see the battle for blackfire pass get its release! (That book looked awesome before they canned it!)
  • I'm still happily painting old world armies which now might see new models (and I have just enough to paint up at least 3 more models in this unit before the release! 🤣 )
  • More models for all the games!
  • Hoping to see reprints/remakes of classic books/campaigns, with modern quality books & terrain!
  • New fiction set in the old world! I'd love more WFB horror to come out! (Hell, I'd even try my hand at writing some!)
  • Hopefully a return of old (or at least new versions of) kits they got rid off, which have no good or easy alternatives (High elves, Tomb kings)
  • Mordheim might come back!

The bad-

• We just don't need it. The old world lives on in plenty of other games and model ranges. WFB rules are cheap 2nd hand (or even cheaper than that!) and there was never anything stopping anyone from continue playing it.
  • I'd hate to see them sweep away all the fan mad continuations & armies books put out since 2015.
  • It seems a little obnoxious to announce this not long after putting out CoS, as it was a bit of a refugee camp for peoples old world collections!
  • Announcing it three years in advance seems way off. Only reason they might be doing that is that they have (finally) noticed that others have filled the void WFB left and they want to try and stop some of that money going into those other games, possible before those games gain even more popularity (and it will be harder to get people to come back)
  • It's going to break up communities even more than they already are. Already arguments are breaking out between people that hate/love one game or the other.
  • Once again GW is catering to the loudest (and often most obnoxious) parts of the fan base (Or at least they appear to be, which is enough to give validation to these people. I still think they don't really care what people ask for but are happy to let them think that when they release something as it looks good on them)
  • Backwards character placement. There will be a whole host of characters (& places) added to the old world from AoS lore. I wasn't keen on them adding so many characters from the old world into AoS, but people do seem to enjoy it & for the most part, those that did return made sense (as much as sense can be made in these universes!).  But I can see it not working as well in reverse.
  • It will be just like the good old days- Only far more expensive!
  • Less resources pumped into AoS
  • Less money going into AoS over the next three years (Why would I buy the fancy new AoS army next year now, knowing I might not want to use it in WFB two years down the line) If AoS is the "most successful fantasy game ever", then why are they not concentrating on that. I've been saying for the past year it sounds like no one in GW really cares for AoS and they were just making the most of what they had been left with.
  • GW tried this before- trying to support too many games at the same time. It didn't end well and has taken them to know to bounce back from the culling of their lines.

The biggest thing I take away from this announcement is that GW do everything they do for money, but don't seem to care about the ramifications on the community. As hobbyists/a community are first loyalty should always be with each other- we are after all the ones we game with, talk too, hang out and get to know. But I know full well that all hell is going to break loose over the coming weeks/months/ years. Anyone with strong opinions has it it in for the other game and it's going to make the both games unpleasant to talk about online. I think this might be the time I final ditch both forums & social media for good and continue to enjoy the hobby in my home. I already grumble quite a bit about releases and I could see myself easily getting caught up in rows over painting/bases/games and taking away time from my actual hobby.

This! 100% this! 

I am in a similar situation. I really, really love the Old World. I 've never played WFB but i always had a soft spot for the lore, the novels and the dark fantasy feel of the warhammer world. How could i not? I grew up with Hero Quest after all! 

I am currently running a campaign of WFRP 4th edition and me, and my players who are mostly new to warhammer, are loving it. 

But this announcement, it is one of the few that i feel, excludes me as a consumer. My main games are AoS and 40k, but i also collect Underworlds, play warcry and i also started a small ork squadron for aeronautica. A lot of stuff and no time to properly play and enjoy everything unfortunately. And well, i can only speak from my area but there are many fellow gamers in the same situation, where for each new game GW puts out, there is one that gets dropped in order for the new one to get played. 

I know that most would say that AoS is well established and is not in danger etc and i really hope you are correct but allow me to think otherwise. Here, in Greece where i am located, the vast majority of AoS players are WFB veterans who are, from the comments i saw today, already preparing to jump ship. 

I am not going to reiterate RexHavoc's excellent analysis for the possible negatives of this development. Allow me to mention something that i noticed in last weeks Black Library Event. How many new AoS titles got announced? I think only two, one anthology with a story by Bill King(Yeah!) and a Lady Olynder novel. Nothing else... And the great Josh Reynolds has said in this forum that he hasn't written something for Age of Sigmar for a while. For someone who is invested in the lore of the realms, this was a huge dissapointment. 

Sometimes i think that AoS is a playground for the model designers, some where they can unleash their creativity unbound by the limits of the Old World. But the writers, the novelists, the loremasters, the creators of great maps, unforgetable characters and gripping storylines, were and still are in the Empire and in the Chaos Wastes and in Khemri and all the other places we know so much better that everything in AoS until now, even though so much time of development has passed. 

But, hey everybody wins i guess. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, novakai said:

I don't know I feel like with the new  LotrTV show coming out, they would try to keep the license and work with Amazon studio to make new mini for the range. 

I'm sure they would want to, but it's possible that the folks they licenced it from will have other ideas. I think the debut of the new series could either be very good for the SBG, or bad depending on the precise state of the contracts. I've not been able to find any info on when they next renew the lotr contracts, and the sudden surge of attention its got recently after languishing for a while could well be them making sure that they are sufficiently exploiting the licences. After all if they don't do much with it for years theres every chance the owners of the IP will switch to someone who will.

22 minutes ago, SirPergrin said:
6 hours ago, RexHavoc said:

There is a lot to unpack in this announcement. As someone that has continued to enjoy WFB & loved the first three years of AoS (this year has been ok, but I'm not impressed with many of the releases), I'm not actually as excited over the announcement as someone who loves WFB should be (Though I'm not going to shout and rant and rage on facebook either!) but it was better than I'd actually expected it be and the announcement & tease today was far better done than yesterdays.

The good-

• The old world is back!
  • We might finally see the battle for blackfire pass get its release! (That book looked awesome before they canned it!)
  • I'm still happily painting old world armies which now might see new models (and I have just enough to paint up at least 3 more models in this unit before the release! 🤣 )
  • More models for all the games!
  • Hoping to see reprints/remakes of classic books/campaigns, with modern quality books & terrain!
  • New fiction set in the old world! I'd love more WFB horror to come out! (Hell, I'd even try my hand at writing some!)
  • Hopefully a return of old (or at least new versions of) kits they got rid off, which have no good or easy alternatives (High elves, Tomb kings)
  • Mordheim might come back!

The bad-

• We just don't need it. The old world lives on in plenty of other games and model ranges. WFB rules are cheap 2nd hand (or even cheaper than that!) and there was never anything stopping anyone from continue playing it.
  • I'd hate to see them sweep away all the fan mad continuations & armies books put out since 2015.
  • It seems a little obnoxious to announce this not long after putting out CoS, as it was a bit of a refugee camp for peoples old world collections!
  • Announcing it three years in advance seems way off. Only reason they might be doing that is that they have (finally) noticed that others have filled the void WFB left and they want to try and stop some of that money going into those other games, possible before those games gain even more popularity (and it will be harder to get people to come back)
  • It's going to break up communities even more than they already are. Already arguments are breaking out between people that hate/love one game or the other.
  • Once again GW is catering to the loudest (and often most obnoxious) parts of the fan base (Or at least they appear to be, which is enough to give validation to these people. I still think they don't really care what people ask for but are happy to let them think that when they release something as it looks good on them)
  • Backwards character placement. There will be a whole host of characters (& places) added to the old world from AoS lore. I wasn't keen on them adding so many characters from the old world into AoS, but people do seem to enjoy it & for the most part, those that did return made sense (as much as sense can be made in these universes!).  But I can see it not working as well in reverse.
  • It will be just like the good old days- Only far more expensive!
  • Less resources pumped into AoS
  • Less money going into AoS over the next three years (Why would I buy the fancy new AoS army next year now, knowing I might not want to use it in WFB two years down the line) If AoS is the "most successful fantasy game ever", then why are they not concentrating on that. I've been saying for the past year it sounds like no one in GW really cares for AoS and they were just making the most of what they had been left with.
  • GW tried this before- trying to support too many games at the same time. It didn't end well and has taken them to know to bounce back from the culling of their lines.

The biggest thing I take away from this announcement is that GW do everything they do for money, but don't seem to care about the ramifications on the community. As hobbyists/a community are first loyalty should always be with each other- we are after all the ones we game with, talk too, hang out and get to know. But I know full well that all hell is going to break loose over the coming weeks/months/ years. Anyone with strong opinions has it it in for the other game and it's going to make the both games unpleasant to talk about online. I think this might be the time I final ditch both forums & social media for good and continue to enjoy the hobby in my home. I already grumble quite a bit about releases and I could see myself easily getting caught up in rows over painting/bases/games and taking away time from my actual hobby.

This! 100% this! 

I am in a similar situation. I really, really love the Old World. I 've never played WFB but i always had a soft spot for the lore, the novels and the dark fantasy feel of the warhammer world. How could i not? I grew up with Hero Quest after all! 

I am currently running a campaign of WFRP 4th edition and me, and my players who are mostly new to warhammer, are loving it. 

But this announcement, it is one of the few that i feel, excludes me as a consumer. My main games are AoS and 40k, but i also collect Underworlds, play warcry and i also started a small ork squadron for aeronautica. A lot of stuff and no time to properly play and enjoy everything unfortunately. And well, i can only speak from my area but there are many fellow gamers in the same situation, where for each new game GW puts out, there is one that gets dropped in order for the new one to get played. 

I know that most would say that AoS is well established and is not in danger etc and i really hope you are correct but allow me to think otherwise. Here, in Greece where i am located, the vast majority of AoS players are WFB veterans who are, from the comments i saw today, already preparing to jump ship. 

I am not going to reiterate RexHavoc's excellent analysis for the possible negatives of this development. Allow me to mention something that i noticed in last weeks Black Library Event. How many new AoS titles got announced? I think only two, one anthology with a story by Bill King(Yeah!) and a Lady Olynder novel. Nothing else... And the great Josh Reynolds has said in this forum that he hasn't written something for Age of Sigmar for a while. For someone who is invested in the lore of the realms, this was a huge dissapointment. 

Sometimes i think that AoS is a playground for the model designers, some where they can unleash their creativity unbound by the limits of the Old World. But the writers, the novelists, the loremasters, the creators of great maps, unforgetable characters and gripping storylines, were and still are in the Empire and in the Chaos Wastes and in Khemri and all the other places we know so much better that everything in AoS until now, even though so much time of development has passed. 

Gold

I love AOS, it has potential

But the speed for it to make sense, though there is indeed progress, is too slow

What the.... is happening here? 😳

I really love the Old World. But will this not completely divide the player base? Even I, myself, am divided at the moment. If that overall feeling stays for the next 3 years, with many potential players not really knowing what to invest in, maybe many will choose to stay with computer games. Which is even literally encouraged. 😬

Hey you guys, just a reminder this is the AoS Rumour thread not the WHFB Rumour thread, it’s a bit unfair to expect those of us interested in AoS rumours to have to wade through pages & pages of commentary related to a completely different game set in a totally different universe. M’kay. 

🧐

anyway getting back to the mortal realms, Rippa’s Snarlfangs warscroll is up, bit of a mishmash really, possibly the most notable thing is that they’ve got the Gloomspite keyword, which is to be expected I guess but also closes off any other speculation. Nice models though so in the bag they go...

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls//aos_rippas_snarlfangs_en.pdf

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Icegoat said:

Them being gloom spite is all the proof we need that gitmob is dead and so are classic orruks. No chance of them ever coming back in any form recognisoble to the old fans. 

Don't lie yourself.

They can do whatever they want. Like bring back a game that was killed 5 years ago. A new "army" of "classic" Orruks/orcs or Gobbos is not really dificult for them to do. 

20 minutes ago, Dirtnaps said:

I reckon the Gloomspite keyword on Rippa's Snarlfangs warscroll is just a place holder, from the little bit of lore we've gotten about them they're so at odds with the moonclan and spider clan grots beliefs that it just seems weird for them to be there.

Underworlds warscrolls are generally a bit of an afterthought, so giving them at least a few keywords where they can be used is a good idea. I wouldn't read too much into it.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Icegoat said:

Them being gloom spite is all the proof we need that gitmob is dead and so are classic orruks. No chance of them ever coming back in any form recognisoble to the old fans. 

And sylvaneth keyword on kurnothi warband means they will never, ever get their own faction, yes. It's definitely not because they wan't models from yet nonexistant faction be usable in AoS. /s

I'm not saying it *will* happen, but yeah, GW can do whatever they want. If they ever decide it's time to bring back gitmob, they will.

well they weren't lying about Sisters of Battle going quick. Put it in my cart at 11:01,  went and made a cup of tea and it was sold out in by the time it had properly brewed.

on the plus side I guess this means I have a bonus £100 spare now to blow on AoS models (or I don't know donate to a charity or pay some bills or something actually sensible)... 

also, extra unintended bonus, I just realised I get to tell my wife that I was really sensible, for once, and decided against buying it

Edited by JPjr
  • Haha 12

I don't get why people love sisters of Battle so much. The new models are the pinnacle of overdesigned. Fiddly to paint, fiddly to transport and while they look good as individual models they don't have a unified "pop" when all on the table. 

Personally I find all of GWs recent female sculpts a bit unappealing. You don't have much in the way of attractive female characters. They are all quite beefy and butch looking for lack of a better word. 

I much prefer sculpts like the daughters of Khaine or the other older elf ranges with long flowing hair etc.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 minute ago, HollowHills said:

You don't have much in the way of attractive female characters

that's one of the selling points for me, though I'd dispute that they're in some way a range of deliberately ugly characters, just that they actually have character beyond being lithe, flowing haired models in chainmail bikinis or whatever the 40K equivalent is. I love that they're making models of older or scarred and battle worn women and tbh think they're just barely scraping the surface here, I wish they'd do a lot more like this with an even more diverse range of body shapes, ages and the like.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

I don't get why people love sisters of Battle so much. The new models are the pinnacle of overdesigned. Fiddly to paint, fiddly to transport and while they look good as individual models they don't have a unified "pop" when all on the table. 

Personally I find all of GWs recent female sculpts a bit unappealing. You don't have much in the way of attractive female characters. They are all quite beefy and butch looking for lack of a better word. 

I much prefer sculpts like the daughters of Khaine or the other older elf ranges with long flowing hair etc.

Bro...they are chicks in armor and holding up weapons that most men would struggle with. At a minimum it would be like meeting a group of female MMA fighters. So yeah beefy would be and understatement. Not to mention the fact that they are crazy fanatical. 

If you want the skinny girls I believe there is a whole faction of ones with pointy ears in both 40k and AoS.

• Confused 2

GW isn't making Sisters of Battle as skimpy space-elf women style. They are thick, chunky and muscular and most of their body is covered in thick armour anyway. They've mostly got either helms or cropped hair with a few having a shorter bob-cut. They are going for a religious group of fanatical warrior women. Personally I really love the way they look; they've kept true to the old style whilst advancing it with some new things and some neat 80s style creative madness (stain glass window goggles anyone?!). 

The boxed set is also phenomenal good value from GW, esp as it not only contains all the models but the Codex too! I'm not surprised it sold out as fast as it did. Heck I'd have been in the running if I wasn't snowed under with Ossiarchs and totally out of money (sisters being one of the only two marine forces I could ever see myself building - the other being custodes)

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Overread said:

Heck I'd have been in the running if I wasn't snowed under with Ossiarchs and totally out of money (sisters being one of the only two marine forces I could ever see myself building - the other being custodes)

Don't make yourself feel bad, they would only have gone on the pile of shame anyway. By the time you get finished with your Bone Boys and everything else you've got on the backlog it'll be this time next year and they'll get a Battleforce!

4 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

Don't make yourself feel bad, they would only have gone on the pile of shame anyway. By the time you get finished with your Bone Boys and everything else you've got on the backlog it'll be this time next year and they'll get a Battleforce!

Aye that's what I'm consoling myself with. That and my guilt that my Necron force is still in its boxes unbuilt from my last 40K inspirational strike of interest. 

4 minutes ago, Overread said:

Aye that's what I'm consoling myself with. That and my guilt that my Necron force is still in its boxes unbuilt from my last 40K inspirational strike of interest. 

I have over £500's worth of Daughters of Khaine still unboxed and I'm sure we ain't the only ones...

• Haha 1