The Rumour Thread

Just now, Gecktron said:

The 30K comparision was spot on. Seperated team working on bringing WHFB back *in some form* over the next few years. 

Going to keep expectations lowered for this one, considering the time frame they are giving and it's likely being handled by forge world. 

• Like 1

Now I feel much better about deciding to base the old dwarf army I've been refurbishing back on squares with the hopes of finding players for 6th and 8th edition fantasy and maybe some Kings of War rather than rounds for possible Warhammer Legends Dwarf rules with points next year. Maybe in 2-3 years I'll have a new ruleset for them.

Alright, so, old world will be back at some point as a form of 30k-ish thing. Forgeworld maybe. Great, more models for conversion fodder, maybe something old will return. Now with this out of the way:

Yoooo HYSH! Could that mean that after all the old tomes are redone in february we're getting Tyrion/Teclis next?! Oh, the hope..!

Gotta say, this is far more interesting than anything set in the age of myth, which was really only ever written as a pre-age of chaos backdrop for all it was fleshed out in AoS 2.0.

If it's anything like old WHFB I won't be playing it (rules, size of armies, etc) but it's good to see the old setting get attention, it really did have tremendous depth. It also makes for less of a glaring hole for anyone who's coming at it from Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, Vermintide or the eventual three Total War: Warhammer games. I'd be surprised if it wasn't the massive popularity of the last two that gave them the push to get on this.

• Like 1

Apart the big hint to Hysh that cannot be too far (when is the next preview? The 4th of January at the open day?) this is huge. Probably means some of the old armies will not get more updates in AoS but will mostly be relegated to this new game. But means also many conversion opportunities especially for Cities and Legions!!!

The interesting thing is that while I'm sure people will be able to play with their old models and stuff, is that this is going to mean new model ranges for the old world. That's exciting in itself, and will likely also let AoS players double dip on the models to some extent.

I think this proves the theory correct that the armies that are selling well and keeping aos going are the armies that were already present during the old world and have been expanded on and that the new armies are not as strongly supported. KO, Ironjawz, FYreslayers IDK, etc. 

Otherwise why on earth would they bring back the old world??? Just to annoy even more the people thst burnt all their models on pyres and left the hobby forever??? 

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! BURN IT ALL DOWN NOW.

Seriously though, seeing as we're looking at 2 maybe 3 years away I can't see GW creating a game solely designed for people to use models that will at the very youngest be nearly a decade (if not 2) old by then with a handful of new releases chucked in.

so looking at the guts of some pigeon for clues I'm guessing if not a new scale then all new models a la HH, maybe focused around a couple of specific armies but hey I'm generally wrong about these things.

still good news for those that want to revisit the old world, not sure I'd be getting that excited if I was hoarding a collection of Brettonian models whilst refusing to play with them with the existing WHFB rules. but we shall see.

and looks like we'll be getting some kind of larger army sized game before then which is interesting if that kind of thing appeals.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Icegoat said:

I think this proves the theory correct that the armies that are selling well and keeping aos going are the armies that were already present during the old world and have been expanded on and that the new armies are not as strongly supported. KO, Ironjawz, FYreslayers IDK, etc. 

Otherwise why on earth would they bring back the old world??? Just to annoy even more the people thst burnt all their models on pyres and left the hobby forever??? 

Definitely don't think that's the case at all. AoS is more successful than WHFB and that's not due to old armies. It could easily be relegated for Forge World like Horus Heresy, which definitely is not a case of "AoS is only good because of old armies!" 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Icegoat said:

To undercut the competition. If the models are forgeworld as well there are going to be people willing to drop the cash. Also AOS armies are selling well, the fact AOS is doing well enough that GW can take this risk shows that. 

Edited by shinros

Agreed, this is more GW respecting that there's a viable market of Old World fans and that the Old World system can exist alongside Age of Sigmar. GW is clearly looking at things like 9th Age and Kings of War and going - well those are doing fine against our fantasy product of AoS. Plus our Horus Heresy is doing well against our 40K line. So yeah we can do this- we can have two fantasy age games running at once.

AoS will still most likely, be the poster-child game and the one that gets the lions share. But the Old World game could certianly do well and develop its own niche of gamers. 

I think this is further proof of a big attitude change at GW where they are willing to have profitable series of games without having to make each one a blockbuster of a game. Not that they don't want blockbuster sales; just that if its profit then its good for them. Plus its also respecting that wargamers are a segmented market and that there are niches GW can specifically target

• Like 3

1 minute ago, michu said:

I'm intrigued. I still think it won't be old WFB as so many miniatures were squatted. I think they should make it in different scale to not cannibalise AoS. Warmaster-like game would be perfect.

I agree, I don't think it will be the same as well.