The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, HollowHills said:

Wrong. 

Idoneth are in a similar, albeit slightly better, position to kharadron. In that they are a new model range which has a terrible army book. 

The eel spam build is the only viable way to play the army and that is mostly due to the inherent strength of their warscrolls rather than the army book. 

Thralls, Reavers, Sharks etc are dead units. 

Part of this is just bad internal balance of points costs though. Reducing the costs of most of the non-eel units could make the list a lot better. It's not in immediate need of an entirely new tome.

I would not expect to see any new Tomes after the 2.0 for quite a considerable length of time. With the point adjustments in the GHB and half year revision as well (that's two updates a year) and with Warscroll cards being a thing; GW can update an army with new models and new point costs without having to publish a new book. So yeah I wouldn't expect new books that often.

10 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

There is another precedent for a dark-mirror type of single release - The Geminids.

I don't follow the lore much, but Uhl-Gysh seems to be a thing.

Plus, I feel that if they were separate, we'd have seen one of them already to prevent their sales cannibalising each other (elf people tend to like elves in general - no matter the flavour).

Otherwise, the hypothetical second army would have to be years away, as we haven't even had a hint of the hypothetical first army's model release.

What about that rumour going out that Malerion will become a new Chaos god? In that case it would be a new daemonic army nothing to do with the Light Aelves. It could come years apart from each other or be the starter set of AoS 3.0 light vs shadow.

Although I don’t personally believe this rumour neither know when it started.

23 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

What about that rumour going out that Malerion will become a new Chaos god? In that case it would be a new daemonic army nothing to do with the Light Aelves. It could come years apart from each other or be the starter set of AoS 3.0 light vs shadow.

Although I don’t personally believe this rumour neither know when it started.

The Gotrek audio book cast lists him as a chaos god. 

A bunch of AoS anthologies, audiodramas and novels have been mentioned at the Black Library Weekender: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/10/black-library-weekender-2019-the-reveals/#gallery-14-1

Of particular note is Lady of Sorrows, a novel by Josh Reynolds about the Mortarch of Grief. Great to see him writing death again, his Nagash books have been the best BL works for AoS.

BLWeekenderReveals-Nov10-LasySorrow9srhr

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

A bunch of AoS anthologies, audiodramas and novels have been mentioned at the Black Library Weekender: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/10/black-library-weekender-2019-the-reveals/#gallery-14-1

Of particular note is Lady of Sorrows, a novel by Josh Reynolds about the Mortarch of Grief. Great to see him writing death again, his Nagash books have been the best BL works for AoS.

BLWeekenderReveals-Nov10-LasySorrow9srhr

It's by Clint Werner, actually.  I haven't written any AoS in about a year. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 9

Looking at the black library releases aos is very lacking in the book department. This is probably to do with sales I know no one who has read the realm gate wars books for example. 

I have read many novels set in AOS and by far the best was scourge of fate. The fact that it featured a classic chaos army vs an almost classic old world empire army was great. 

Currently reading code of the skies one of the new novellas and its not the same. The word kharadron is repeated about a thousand times per page. It's not the same... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JReynolds said:

It's by Clint Werner, actually.  I haven't written any AoS in about a year. 

And here I was thinking "I'm taking a break" was code for "writing more books than ever before". Poor Clint getting his book stolen by you! 

Most of the AoS releases right now are fairly expected. The new surprise is the new Lady book; the new Overlord book we knew of before; the anthology of short stories is pretty much expected now that every few months GW lumps all the AoS shorts into a new book (so I'd expect to see most of the current shorts not in a book to appear in there). 

It does seem a bit light, but don't forget we've had 2 full audio novels about Gotrek and a new book this year alone. Futhermore we've got the new novellas. I think that AoS lore, like a lot of other things AoS got a rough start. I think that the quailty now is far better and the authors are also more settled into the setting. I think that all it needs is a few more lead heroes and characters to pull it together. 

Also don't forget 40K didn't get as many books - the show is very much being stolen at present by the Horus Heresy Siege series of books commanding prime place. 

Overall I'm happy; though surprised we didn't hear of a few more combined editions for the Old World as BL has been releasing them at a fairly good rate (we just had Thanquol's and then there is Heroes of Empire coming up). Also many of the Horror novels have so far been fantasy and Old World. 

23 minutes ago, JPjr said:

Having given up on Underworlds, what I'm really curious to see is what faction their AoS rules will be. I'm guessing they're be shoehorned into in Gloomspite Gitz. On a related note, how long did it take them in the past to release the model only boxes for the warbands? Was it after they did all the actual WU releases? I really like nearly all the models for WU, but since I'm not playing that game anymore, I'd much prefer to save myself $10 a set for this round of warbands(especially since I think I'll be buying nearly all this time).

14 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

Having given up on Underworlds, what I'm really curious to see is what faction their AoS rules will be. I'm guessing they're be shoehorned into in Gloomspite Gitz. On a related note, how long did it take them in the past to release the model only boxes for the warbands? Was it after they did all the actual WU releases? I really like nearly all the models for WU, but since I'm not playing that game anymore, I'd much prefer to save myself $10 a set for this round of warbands(especially since I think I'll be buying nearly all this time).

I think what they are going to do is give them Gitmob keyword so they can ally into Gloomspite.

as for individual models, for Nightvault they release them  when they release the last two warbands (Thundrik and Ylthari) of the season 

8 hours ago, Horseburner said:

I think you're being pretty narrow here. I agree that StD is one of the last factions that absolutely NEEDED a BT to be playable but that doesn't automatically negate the need for others. What I don't understand is how you can call every other faction fine. 

I wouldn't define "fine" as having 1 or 2 playable lists. That would be setting the bar very low in my opinion.

How would you define it?

The question about the definition is a good one. Or to ask about the perspective from which we want to judge about the state of an army. Do we want to see it from a competetive viewpoint? Or from a rather casual viewpoint?

Talking about the situation of tomes from a competetive viewpoint is an neverending story. GW satisfies this quite well by making new tomes having new cool rules. Nevertheless people will always dislike something and call armies utter trash only because they can´t do X or Y. Talking about this, there is really no way to win an award here. Noone will really be happy once their 5 weeks of glory are over after a release. To really balance things in competetive terms, gw would have to slow the pace of new cool rules down to have the time to adjust rulings and wordings and point values. Currently FAQ´s and Point changes are supposed to do so, but are rather a hotfix solution.

Talking from an casual viewpoint updates in tomes are more than just rules. It´s a mix of backgroundstories, ideas how to diversify your game, inspiration for colorshemes and cool hero stories that make that little plastic figure feel like a great hero we love. New tomes were also a long time bound to new releases and therefore the main source of new models (which are important as we need new stimuli. There is joy in having something nice and new). From this point of view, all factions without a Tome were treated like unloved orphans. Look how little Lore Gutbusters had prior to the tome. Slaves are in a similar position, althrough the Campaign around the Eightpeaks etc. was some source I belive, but which simply is no longer available. If you joined 2 years ago into the hobby, there are 3 pages in the core book for Slaves. This is the point that in my eyes distinguishes pretty much Seraphon and Kharadron from StD and Gutbusters which was my perspective for my statement. I admit that the next logical stage would be a tome for the remaining 1.0 factions. And we all know that gw will deliver them soon. I strongly belive until march all Books will be updated before gw introduces something big and new. I know in what a state Seraphon are, I had several talks with my Seraphon buddy about this. But we always came to the conclusion, that beside the lack of spotlight time and love in terms of stories and new lore or models, the faction is ok. Because there is another point: How playable an army is. Seraphon are by no means in a bad shape rulewise. Also GHB had updates for them each year, so they got at least a bit of love. I belibe that Seraphon are harder for GW to tackle as they need a better alignment into the word of AoS as their mysterious stereotype makes them hard to indentify with. Kharadron have plently of lore and are a very well implemented part of the world of AoS. Rulewise they are flawed but not unplayable. The ruleset is simply from another age of gw rulewriting. I know Kharadronplayers who enjoy their army and compete quite well within most games they play. So yes, an Update would be nice and necessery seeing it that way to be up to day. But nevertheless thoose factions do not feel alien to AoS. They are valid, althrough maybe a bit dusty. And yes, I wonder why GW didn´t update them before updating newer books.

5 hours ago, HollowHills said:

Wrong. 

Idoneth are in a similar, albeit slightly better, position to kharadron. In that they are a new model range which has a terrible army book. 

The eel spam build is the only viable way to play the army and that is mostly due to the inherent strength of their warscrolls rather than the army book. 

Thralls, Reavers, Sharks etc are dead units. 

Yeah, for sure. We had this topic here on tga several times~ It´s a thing of internal balance as eels are simply overall good units and jacks of all trades which have no big downsides. This makes everything in the book, no matter how good it is, look bad. Compare f.e. Thralls to other Factions: These are amazing units. The eel spam build is just an easy way to win with IDK. They are the best option to pick as they deliver a load of freedom in positioning, deliver resilient units that can tank a lot. Picking up a blobb of Reavers which are harder to utilise seems worthless, but this doesn´t mean thoose are bad.

Things get even worse by the competetive mindset around~

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Charleston said:

Yeah, for sure. We had this topic here on tga several times~ It´s a thing of internal balance as eels are simply overall good units and jacks of all trades which have no big downsides. This makes everything in the book, no matter how good it is, look bad. Compare f.e. Thralls to other Factions: These are amazing units. The eel spam build is just an easy way to win with IDK. They are the best option to pick as they deliver a load of freedom in positioning, deliver resilient units that can tank a lot. Picking up a blobb of Reavers which are harder to utilise seems worthless, but this doesn´t mean thoose are bad.

Things get even worse by the competetive mindset around~

I don't think it's just about eels being good. The synergies designed to support other units such as thralls just don't work. Ranges are overally restrictive, buffs are often redundant, mechanics such as the res ability are too weak to have any benefit. 

I mean compare thralls at 130 to phoenix guard at 160. They have similar damage output (due to smaller bases on phoenix guard) but the phoenix guard are about 10x more durable. 

The idoneth book is terrible, one strong eel build has covered that up. 

• Like 1