The Rumour Thread

28 minutes ago, chord said:

All the cool stuff is not applicable. And sadly the general order abilities are not good for ranged units (my non Stormcast units).

oh well.  I will hold judgement till I read the full book. But not a good way to attract new ppl.

I would have to agree. To me it feels like we are being shepherded into very specific pens now. Its a shame in my oppinion. Mixed factions are so much more interesting IMO

• Like 1

So, priests are now pretty much mages but better?

Giving them Lores is a big boost, but they can not be unbound and are unaffected by the rule of one.

Frankly, from a conceptual position, I would have preferred no priest lores, that would have kept priests different from mages, but noteither striktly better or worse.

Also apparently stormcast units can get seperate warscrolls and point costs for a weapon swap, but enlightened can not get that for the much bigger change of going with or without disk.

Truly, when it comes to rules, consistency is foreign to GW.

Not looking to bash the release or GWs new way in general, but such game design misteps keep sticking out to me.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, KHHaunts said:

I would have to agree. To me it feels like we are being shepherded into very specific pens now. Its a shame in my oppinion. Mixed factions are so much more interesting IMO

interesting I never thought of it as pens but I totally see your point.

I don't see it that way. Yes, sticking to an allegiance gets you a lot of toys, but not sticking to one gives you the bonus of not having to stick to it. Want Kurnoth Hunters with your Dwarves? Go for it! Want Skaven shooting with your Tzeentch magic? Knock yourself out!

That in and of itself is a massive bonus.
So, priests are now pretty much mages but better?
Giving them Lores is a big boost, but they can not be unbound and are unaffected by the rule of one.
Frankly, from a conceptual position, I would have preferred no priest lores, that would have kept priests different from mages, but noteither striktly better or worse.

Also apparently stormcast units can get seperate warscrolls and point costs for a weapon swap, but enlightened can not get that for the much bigger change of going with or without disk.

Truly, when it comes to rules, consistency is foreign to GW.

Not looking to bash the release or GWs new way in general, but such game design misteps keep sticking out to me.

Priests are different from Wizards but I wouldn't put them as automatically better. Sure they can't be unbound, but they also can't unbind without special abilities. There's also (currently) no modifiers to Prayer rolls, while many Wizards or supporting units give +1 or more modifiers to the rolls. And 2 dice for casting is much more consistent than 1 dice for praying.

Grass is always greener.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Requizen said:

I don't see it that way. Yes, sticking to an allegiance gets you a lot of toys, but not sticking to one gives you the bonus of not having to stick to it. Want Kurnoth Hunters with your Dwarves? Go for it! Want Skaven shooting with your Tzeentch magic? Knock yourself out!

Agreed, but the removal of judicators as generic battleline I think demonstrates a desire to have less mixed armies. Why not have more generic battleline?

2 hours ago, wayniac said:

I would hope that GHB 2.0 might have different points for Enlightened on/off the Disc, it would make some sense and also give a reason to take/not take certain options, since right now there's zero reason to ever not take a particular option since it's "free".

I don't understand why on earth they even included the option to not put Enlightened on discs. It makes no sense to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daedalus81 said:

Judicators as battleline was always just a tad scandalous considering the options open to other armies.  It was a good move - diversity or not.

I agree. Where is my kunnin rukk battleline of bonesplitta archers for my mixed ironjawz army.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Allornone said:

Most of it are just artefacts.

In the end the stormcast have:

A prayer for every priest (basically the equivalent of a spell lore)

1 Artefacts +1 for each battalion, that can be chosen from the following lists:

weapons
armour
talismans
Banners  (for TOTEM)
lights (for Castellant, Azyros and Veritant)

And the trait for the steeds, which is a true addiction.

So...across 5 new tables Quicksilver potion is still easily the best option. The banners are trash, the lights hit bad, underwhelming and 'don't we have a relic that gives+1 attack already? But like guarantees the model that needs it has it?' The armors are all okay-ish or copy pasted except the -1 to hit one which is good, though not exceptional, the artifacts and weapons are just copy pasted or worse versions of the order ones.

The prayers and Steed abilities are awesome and some of the command traits are pretty good, even a few of the relics are worth trying out but ultimately I think if you're not teleporting anything in or doing anything triksy with command abilties then reckless, QSP, reroll battleshock are still going to be your best bet.

Just now, TerrorPenguin said:

It will be interesting to see if prayers are only for non-wizard factions. There's no reason that e.g. Vampires couldn't pray to Nagash as well as using death magic. 

The prayers that make your opponent re roll 6's could be incredibly irritating - especially as you can cast it on more than one unit in your army

I think they have to be a 'reward' for staying all in an allegiance with no wizards.

Alternatives to spells don't need to exist when an allegiance has access to spells. Unless I misunderstand you slightly.

36 minutes ago, BURF1 said:

The banners are trash, the lights hit bad

I think this is a little short sighted. In general I see mostly upsides to sticking to pure Stormcast Eternal now.

I think the bit that strikes me is there's quite a lot of "free" upgrades for SE armies - priests get an extra prayer each, totems get an extra ability etc.  Will be interesting to see how this changes the armies we see being fielded and how long it takes for other armies to be brought up to v2 status.

Would have loved to see unbinding for priest vs priest (my god's better than yours) ;) 

• Like 1

I think I get the logic behind this release. Note that various teleport battalions are gone, namely Warrior BroHood, Skyborne Slayers and Wardens. Instead we have a high risk high reward deep strike system with reserve rolls, cheaper banners, teleport prayer and highly mobile Vanguard elements. This will make the army building less polarized and the risk factor adds balance to the mix. I like it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Immersturm said:

I think I get the logic behind this release. Note that various teleport battalions are gone, namely Warrior BroHood, Skyborne Slayers and Wardens. Instead we have a high risk high reward deep strike system with reserve rolls, cheaper banners, teleport prayer and highly mobile Vanguard elements. This will make the army building less polarized and the risk factor adds balance to the mix. I like it.

I think some battalions might get tweaked to make the lightning strike more secure, ie 2+ (or no roll) needed as their battalion bonus. The new equivalent of the WB or SS.

At the same time, I don't think that is needed. I prefer high risk high reward with the extra tools for units already deployed.

Maybe a +1 to the roll is enough of a bonus for the points cost and battlion unit requirements.

4 minutes ago, Turragor said:

I think they have to be a 'reward' for staying all in an allegiance with no wizards.

Alternatives to spells don't need to exist when an allegiance has access to spells. Unless I misunderstand you slightly.

I think this is a little short sighted. In general I see mostly upsides to sticking to pure Stormcast Eternal now.

The issue isn't entirely that the new artefact items are bad(although some REALLY are) it's that compared to how insanely good reckless and quicksilver potion both are these relics seem, on paper, to fall flat. Most people will still take stormcast allegience for the deepstrike and the new command abilities, which are quite good if a bit situational compared to reckless. I just think that you'd have to be 2-3 battalions deep to see anything but quicksilver potion and the -1 to hit relic being picked up. 

Breaking up the army into something more interesting than 'warrior brotherhood with TWO knight Azyros' this time!' is a good direction to go in, I just worry it ends up being an(admittedly slight) downgrade based on how conservative the rules so far have been.

That said, we can't know for sure until the battalions get leaked too.

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

I think the bit that strikes me is there's quite a lot of "free" upgrades for SE armies - priests get an extra prayer each, totems get an extra ability etc.  Will be interesting to see how this changes the armies we see being fielded and how long it takes for other armies to be brought up to v2 status.

Would have loved to see unbinding for priest vs priest (my god's better than yours) ;) 

The only thing they get that other armies don't is abilities for Steeds. Getting a prayer is the same as other armies getting extra spells. Totems don't get extra abilities, it's just one of the options for artifacts same as other armies get. You only get one artifact in your army unless you have batallions.

Edited by Nevvermore

1 hour ago, BURF1 said:

how insanely good reckless and quicksilver potion both are....

Technically, reckless is stilla aviable under the banner of the Vexillor and the potion is still here.

The vexillor is taking a cut in points but i wonder how he has changed with all that hype on the "do not let the opponent deepstrike under the 9" belt.

1 minute ago, kozokus said:

Technically, reckless is stilla aviable under the banner of the Vexillor and the potion is still here.

The vexillor is taking a cut in points but i wonder how he has changed with all that hype on the "do not let the opponent deepstrike under the 9" belt.

After seeing the Knight Azyros warscroll and the fact he is cheaper, my gut tells me that the Vexillor will most likely have kept only the meteor banner as an option...

11 minutes ago, wayniac said:

Yeah but even so why would you ever not take it on a disc? Being on the disc is better in every way the fact that they cost the same points notwithstanding.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Slightly off topic as not a rumour but I would say either because of the following....

1. Person likes the model not on a disc
  2. Person is playing a narrative campaign and for some reason they can't have a disc

That goes in wherever it's matched/narrative or whatever. Personally I agree with you but I can see why some players wouldn't do it. ;) 

• Like 3