The Rumour Thread

33 minutes ago, Austin said:

Can I just put a little bit of cold water on the expectations of new models (aside from the knights and lord, that rumor seems cruising to be proven correct)?

The leaked release list also shows a Start Collecting StD, and to me that means (new) basic troopers are probably not part of this release.  I mean, I am one of the ones who wants new Chaos Warriors badly, but I think it is a long shot.

I think you are absolutely correct.

All in all, GW has shown itself reluctant to update existing kits all in all. With good reason, I'm afraid, there is less incentive for players to buy a new kit for a unit they already own. But on the other hand, its not even that I want the specific unit updated with a new kit so much as I just want to see its theme and visual get a stronger representation in Chaos again. If they gave Slaves, Tzeentch, Slaanesh and Nurgle a battleline unit and a few heroes in proper full Chaos Plate I'd be happy even if they aren't called Chaos Warriors, just as they may never go back to calling the mortal leaders Chaos Champions. I thought it worked Khorne and the Bloodwarriors and was surprised they didn't do that for the others. Same for beasts, if all the other gods had gotten a unit like Tzaangor I'd even have swallowed beasts being removed altogether.

What really has me concerned that in AoS most mortal releases have strayed so far from the Chaos Warrior look, even when their power level would have waranted it. I wouldn't want a Chaos where only Archaon, his Varanguard and a few Khornates still look like Chaos Warriors.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 10/31/2019 at 7:11 AM, Dirtnaps said:

I think Fimir could definitely be one, Gitmob Grots could be another. They could figure out a way to make gargants into one although I doubt they would. They could give Troggoths and Spiderfang their own armies too, maybe even bring back the scuttlings for spiderfang. There always regular non Ironjawz or Bonesplittaz Orruks as well, although I'm not entirely sure if those actually exist anymore lore wise. Other than those though I don't think there really is a whole lot lore wise at the moment unless they start making new races and factions with playable armies like they did with the Ossiarch Bonereapers. 

On the Idoneth codex there are only 2 references to  greenskins, both beign about orruks, but what I found interesting is that while the second one specifies a "Bonesplitters´ vast raft-flotillas fleet",  the first one talks about a "flotsam islands constructed by the greenskins" without clarifying their faction. 

To make rafts is one thing, but whole islands is another that seems very out of the Bonesplitters league. Furthermore, and while this could be wild speculation for my part, lately some events like it´s been rumoured that Destruction is going to have some love in the next months,  plus GW seems to be eager to "resurrect" old Destruction factions (see Ogres), the fact that Greenskins are legal on the Big Waaagh (they were took out and retaken again later in the WB, and we even get a Faq and update on the orc warboss CA) while their models are no more avaible,  added to that we now have the incoming new Goblin Wolf Riders while the keyword Gitmob is removed from the GW Webstore, and... where the f**k has the Foot of Gork gone to?, it all makes me think that old (regular) Orcs and Goblins are going to be gathered again ala Orruk Warclans in a future battletome. It would continue the trend and makes sense. 

They can be different from the IJ and BS beign more humanized/technological (which will match their aesthetics), this new army could be heavy on cavalry and chariots/machines (where goblins put their doom divers and rock lobber). I can even see their battletome called "Rampaging Destroyers"...it would be cool.

Besides that, if you look at the Legends PDF, there is no warscroll for Orc Warboss or Orc Great Shaman on Boar, maybe because there will be new models with new warscroll that will affect their profile, the same way BS boar boys affected the savage orc boar boys´one, or the Mangler Squigs have there a warscroll ala Gloomspite instead of the former Compendium one.

Just my two cents.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GorbadIronClaw said:

On the Idoneth codex there are only 2 references to  greenskins, both beign about orruks, but what I found interesting is that while the second one specifies a "Bonesplitters´ vast raft-flotillas fleet",  the first one talks about a "flotsam islands constructed by the greenskins" without clarifying their faction. 

To make rafts is one thing, but whole islands is another that seems very out of the Bonesplitters league. Furthermore, and while this could be wild speculation for my part, lately some events like it´s been rumoured that Destruction is going to have some love in the next months,  plus GW seems to be eager to "resurrect" old Destruction factions (see Ogres), the fact that Greenskins are legal on the Big Waaagh (they were took out and retaken again later in the WB, and we even get a Faq and update on the orc warboss CA) while their models are no more avaible,  added to that we now have the incoming new Goblin Wolf Riders while the keyword Gitmob is removed from the GW Webstore, and... where the f**k has the Foot of Gork gone to?, it all makes me think that old (regular) Orcs and Goblins are going to be gathered again ala Orruk Warclans in a future battletome. It would continue the trend and makes sense. 

They can be different from the IJ and BS beign more humanized/technological (which will match their aesthetics), this new army could be heavy on cavalry and chariots/machines (where goblins put their doom divers and rock lobber). I can even see their battletome called "Rampaging Destroyers"...it would be cool.

Besides that, if you look at the Legends PDF, there is no warscroll for Orc Warboss or Orc Great Shaman on Boar, maybe because there will be new models with new warscroll that will affect their profile, the same way BS boar boys affected the savage orc boar boys´one, or the Mangler Squigs have there a warscroll ala Gloomspite instead of the former Compendium one.

Just my two cents.

What little mention I've seen to Greenskinz all make them seem to me like 40k orcs. Still wild and warlike, but also equipped with some haphazard technical aptitude and civilised enough to form actual settlements, trade and work as mercenaries. All things Bonesplittaz and Ironjawz would never do. Seeing how another Orruk faction would need to be sufficiently differentiated from those two, this may well be the only form I can imagine Greenskinz returning and I could absolutely see Gitmob and/or Grotback Skuttlers to be another part of that. And iirc we had a long while back some trusted rumormonger come out in this thread with rumors of what they believed to be new Ironjawz units that didn't materialise. Add the number of scrppy low tech constructions found in the rumor engine and this may well be happening.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Rogue Explorator said:

I think you are absolutely correct.

All in all, GW has shown itself reluctant to update existing kits all in all. With good reason, I'm afraid, there is less incentive for players to buy a new kit for a unit they already own. But on the other hand, its not even that I want the specific unit updated with a new kit so much as I just want to see its theme and visual get a stronger representation in Chaos again. If they gave Slaves, Tzeentch, Slaanesh and Nurgle a battleline unit and a few heroes in proper full Chaos Plate I'd be happy even if they aren't called Chaos Warriors, just as they may never go back to calling the mortal leaders Chaos Champions. I thought it worked Khorne and the Bloodwarriors and was surprised they didn't do that for the others. Same for beasts, if all the other gods had gotten a unit like Tzaangor I'd even have swallowed beasts being removed altogether.

What really has me concerned that in AoS most mortal releases have strayed so far from the Chaos Warrior look, even when their power level would have waranted it. I wouldn't want a Chaos where only Archaon, his Varanguard and a few Khornates still look like Chaos Warriors.

I would love for a new 3-4 model 40/50mm Chaos Warrior kit, make them more elite more like the 7th/8th edition codex fluff. Then new marauders  would be amazing. 

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Austin said:

I would love for a new 3-4 model 40/50mm Chaos Warrior kit, make them more elite more like the 7th/8th edition codex fluff. Then new marauders  would be amazing. 

Or just give us proper Varanguard/chosen on foot, ideally with enough bits to make them look god-specific. Tzeentch and Slaanesh could use some armored troops to be complete, Nurgle and Khorne kinda got theirs already. Either way, updating Chaos Warriors would be a wise move - lots of aligned armies would be potential buyers and they are kinda iconic.

And if I'm wishlisting: I want a plastic Curseling. The finecast one is lovely but Finecast is not. Or give us a proper Tzeentch Chaos Lord. You know, one that is like they used to be - very powerful in close combat (not as strong as Khorne champs) and a full-fledged sorcerer on top. 

Right now I really miss that Chaos champions and warriors are really good at what they are supposed to be good at. Why sell your soul if your're just average? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MitGas said:

Or just give us proper Varanguard/chosen on foot, ideally with enough bits to make them look god-specific. Tzeentch and Slaanesh could use some armored troops to be complete, Nurgle and Khorne kinda got theirs already. Either way, updating Chaos Warriors would be a wise move - lots of aligned armies would be potential buyers and they are kinda iconic.

And if I'm wishlisting: I want a plastic Curseling. The finecast one is lovely but Finecast is not. Or give us a proper Tzeentch Chaos Lord. You know, one that is like they used to be - very powerful in close combat (not as strong as Khorne champs) and a full-fledged sorcerer on top. 

Right now I really miss that Chaos champions and warriors are really good at what they are supposed to be good at. Why sell your soul if your're just average? 

I'd love a plastic Curseling, but we need a plastic Fatemaster first - that model is absolutely ancient. I would love to see the Fatemaster get updated to be a model worth taking and synergize with whatever comes out of this book along with the Ogroid, Kairic Acolytes, etc.

Edited by Barbossal

4 hours ago, MitGas said:

I would love Varangard on foot. I love the idea of Chaos Warriors, but I think having all the heavily armored murder machines be very elite (significantly stronger than a Stormcast) and very few in number would be more fitting. Even though their were armies of them, back in WHF and into AoS I imagine Chaos armies as horses of mortals, mutants, and monsters with a small number of heavily armored elite that have been blessed by the Chaos gods.

From a financial standpoint it seems odd to not update the traditional Chaos Warrior, which is probably the most iconic unit in the entire history of WHF.

• Like 1

I just dug out my half painted Ogroid Thaumaturge (Todd 'Turge to his friends) from the pile of shame and slapped a few layers on him yesterday,  delighted to see that his less academically-inclined brother has burst onto the scene

Such a great mini, it seemed like it was  originally just designed as a cool-looking thing for Silver Tower and even the fluff was like "uh nobody really knows where these things come from but they're absolutely baller"

• Like 1

Saw a comment on Dakka that got me thinking. They said what if there's a monster for each Warband. I was looking at the long boi and thinking well that looks amazingly oriental and Tzeentchian  in theme.

Ogroid - Spire Tyrants?
Long boi - Cypher Lords?
Formoroid Crusher - Iron Golems?

Would be awesome if this were true. I'll ascend with joy if there's a big snake thing for the Splintered Fang.

• Like 1

I think the Monsters for Warcry might even be more exciting than the warbands. I’m definitely going to need that Myrmidon.

So, there is a lot of talk about new models for Slaves to Darkness...... Is there any reason to believe that? Or are we just wishlisting?

We had the spreadsheet leak with the Battletome on it and the warcry warbands but that was it, right!? I just can’t see GW releasing a new Battletome first, then new models later. 

Not too long until we find out. Hopefully.

At the moment the only hint of new slaves to darkness models that aren't released through Warcry is the new getting started set listed in the spreadsheet leak. However it could be a rebranding/boxing of the current one or an alternative content box with existing models. So its very hard to tell. 

• Like 1

The community speculation of Warcry Warbands beeing rereleased either with multiple or even new additional sprues is something I start to get more and more comfortable with.

I also noticed that my issue of the Warbands beeing from different Realms is bollocks as all can be easily justified with the Eightpoints.