The Rumour Thread

19 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

So, not saying you are wrong, but what about that image makes you so certain?

This taken from the GW Halloween video called „Peachy and the Midnight Feast“. We see identical wall and gate elements along with an Eavy-Metal-level paintjob that‘s usually not afforded to custom-made terrain.

21 minutes ago, Raviv said:

On Facebook GW confirmed that this was built internally. It's probably not from am upcoming kit.

Can you link the comment that states this? I find it highly doubtful considering GW made a video that showed it front and center, and it‘s nor like them to present custom-built terrain in a „for fun“ video.

The post in question for those who haven’t seen it. Buried in the comments the Warhammer community account replies:

“They do look very cool! These were made by out Armies and Battlefields team, but we'll pass the interest in a kit along for sure.”

Of course, they may not know much more than we do, but certainly cause to temper our expectations.

Gw expanded their scenery making team a while ago specifically with the intention of making high quality scenery for their publications. It was discussed on one of the official podcasts.

This is clearly the result of that initiative.

The best we can hope for is an article on a future white dwarf explaining how they made it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Overread said:

There have been rumors of Slaves getting new models, however nothing concrete and the recent release leak up to December doesn't show any new models. The only potential new thing is the start collecting set, which could just be a reboxing or an adjustment of existing plastic models. 

Chaos Knights are not that bad a kit and reasonably modern. The Warriors and Marauders on foot are where the range has aged models, with Marauders just looking odd compared to much newer sculpts; whilst warriors are decently sculpted but exceptionally monopose (they are basically all standing square with their arms at their hips holding a weapon and shield). 

Personally I'd expect to see all the finecast lords leave the range as there are plastic alternatives for the leader slot. Then I'd expect to see on-foot marauders go as well. Even if GW didn't remove them its clear that the Warcry Warbands are going to fill the exact same slot in the army and they look a million times better. So even if the old kit doesn't vanish I could see many people just using warcry models as stand-ins. 

There's also the new Warcry monster coming as well as the Spire Tyrants (who really look very marauder). 

I'm thinking if StD are getting any new units (which it's strange the Knights are rumored, because I agree, they are reasonably modern and much better than the Warriors on foot? Maybe they are foot Knights?) It's going to be the first week in January. GW has in the past (and maybe with the OBR? I haven't paid too much attention) released the book, spells, etc, and additional stuff the next week. This way people can spend all their GW gift cards and holiday money on some shiny new models.

1 hour ago, Souleater said:

I thought the rumoured spreadsheet showed StD getting their tome before Xmas?

It does on the 14th of December. Basically the most likely last slot for any major release of the year. So it could well be that they get a two week release and there's more stuff after in January. Though I'd say the warbands alone already gives them a great launch - esp since right now Slaves are not all that popular and are pretty much, of the major game armies, bottom of the barrel. 

20 minutes ago, Overread said:

It does on the 14th of December. Basically the most likely last slot for any major release of the year. So it could well be that they get a two week release and there's more stuff after in January. Though I'd say the warbands alone already gives them a great launch - esp since right now Slaves are not all that popular and are pretty much, of the major game armies, bottom of the barrel. 

Bottom of the barrel yes, only because of the lack of battletome since AoS release.

TBH, with the new battletome plus such a range of nice miniatures (well, yes the warriors are old but I like them) plus the varanguard plus the most expensive kit of GW with Archaon plus the potential of all chaos alignment/marks plus probably ally/mix with so many chaos miniatures/armies, they  simply CAN'T remain in the bottom of the meta anymore. If the soup is "à la city of sigmar", I think we'll have a great tome and a nice army.

Add to this all the things that they can do with the new warcry bands and you have a (potential) superb release. New SC! and new minis are just a bonus.

Let me play honorably StD, GW!!!

• Like 1

Honestly so far GW hasn't released an all round "BAD" Battletome for AoS for 2.0. Nighthaunt are not as strong as they could be and I hear some of the same for stormcast here and there - though as both are heavily marketed as the starting armies and get a lot more marketing attention than others I think we could even make the guess that GW might have underpowered them just a tad to try and avoid the "oh GW only likes Stormcast/Nighthaunt" arguments. Something that can, at times, plague the 40K marketing. 

Plus I honestly think GW doesn't really want to repeat the marketing in the same way. Space Marines being an obscene amount of 40K sales isn't bad in terms of sales but it can result in its own problems, even at the social level of the game. Plus its harder to diversify other armies when one dominates so heavily. I think with AoS their plan is instead of 10 Chambers of Stormcast have 1 and then have 9 OTHER armies in different Grand Alliances all doing well. Cost wise its the same resource investment; but it means a far more potentially diverse playerbase and game scene. 

Still by and large AoS is in a very good spot. I fully agree Slaves are bottom because they've never had a tome; as soon as they get one I evnision then jumping right up. Heck because of the way Chaos works they'll get an instant likely boost from everyone collecting a demon army or two even if just to have slaves allies. Plus all the people who have started warcry chaos warbands.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Overread said:

Honestly so far GW hasn't released an all round "BAD" Battletome for AoS for 2.0. Nighthaunt are not as strong as they could be and I hear some of the same for stormcast here and there - though as both are heavily marketed as the starting armies and get a lot more marketing attention than others I think we could even make the guess that GW might have underpowered them just a tad to try and avoid the "oh GW only likes Stormcast/Nighthaunt" arguments. Something that can, at times, plague the 40K marketing. 

Plus I honestly think GW doesn't really want to repeat the marketing in the same way. Space Marines being an obscene amount of 40K sales isn't bad in terms of sales but it can result in its own problems, even at the social level of the game. Plus its harder to diversify other armies when one dominates so heavily. I think with AoS their plan is instead of 10 Chambers of Stormcast have 1 and then have 9 OTHER armies in different Grand Alliances all doing well. Cost wise its the same resource investment; but it means a far more potentially diverse playerbase and game scene. 

Still by and large AoS is in a very good spot. I fully agree Slaves are bottom because they've never had a tome; as soon as they get one I evnision then jumping right up. Heck because of the way Chaos works they'll get an instant likely boost from everyone collecting a demon army or two even if just to have slaves allies. Plus all the people who have started warcry chaos warbands.

I don't think GW ever intends to overpower or underpower an army. I honestly believe their overall goal is to make an internally and externally balanced book each time. We can see that in the relatively immediate nerf of Iron Hands.

However, the execution of that intent varies wildly. It seems the book writers vary quite a bit in their abilities and the playtesters miss quite a lot. We just need to compare  Sylvaneth and Slaanesh to see how two books released relatively close together can be so different in power level.

Now if we wanted to accuse GW of favoritism on the basis of quantity of units released for a faction, that is absolutely fair.  Stormcast and Space Marines have upwards of 4x as many units compared to their peer armies, and that is absolutely ridiculous. Fyreslayers have had one battleline unit for two years while Space Marines got 3 new tanks this summer.

Tying this back to rumours: I really hope the delay for STD is due to its magnitude. I  hope its a big release (even though I don't play them). The codex should be a big deal and it should tie the chaos armies together similar to how Stormcast ties the Order armies together. 

• Like 2

I honestly hope only that the AoS 2.0 books will all come out soon so that we can move to the next phase and see what’s planned for AoS as a game. 

I wish they would publish a non-binding high level roadmap giving us an idea of where things are going or what to expect...

I don’t expect some books to have any update any time soon, outside of the occasional warhammer underworld warband or similar, like BoC or the Gloomspite.

Regarding battletomes, Stormcast and Nighthaunt were probably 1.99 books instead of full 2.0, where they were still tuning. While I don’t expect Nighthaunt being updated anytime soon, we do know Stormcast have at least 2 more chambers to open so it is possible they will get an update “soon”.

On 10/30/2019 at 3:15 PM, dekay said:

We can safely assume that Tyrion/Teclis army will be 'light elves' in the same way Fyreslayers are 'fire dwarves' - something heavily themed and non standard. Not just high elves but shinier.

Maybe with wings and shiny armour. An elvish version of this :)

569313b6377d03d879533635b3e36caf--brian-blessed-daddy-issues.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 5

I wonder if we might get a release for Slaves to Darkness either side of new year. If the new kits are upgrades of existing ones it won’t be necessary to put them out alongside the book. With the marines book it was several weeks before all the new kits were released, so the slaves tome could have a similar schedule. 

It really is crazy to think that every single AOS faction with be in a battletome by the end of the year. I don’t think anyone predicted that. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Overread said:

NH and SCE tomes are a bit lacking, the former being a bit weak and the latter, partly due to the huge roster, weak in internal balance.
NH is a little sad in that they didn't even get subfactions like basically everyone else.

35 minutes ago, Indecisive said:

NH is a little sad in that they didn't even get subfactions like basically everyone else.

Or faction terrain

or Mortal Wound bombs.

or powerfull heroes, reliable battletraits, functioning endless spells and units of different strenghts and weaknesses.

Honestly, I love my ghosts and Legion of Grief did finally provide us with some serious bravery debuffs but fighting competively with Nighthaunts is an uphill struggle.

• Sad 2