The Rumour Thread

2 hours ago, Inquisitorsz said:

What could you even do? Fimir? Is there anything else in AoS lore that would fit into Destruction? I'm not really following all the current lore much. 

I think Fimir could definitely be one, Gitmob Grots could be another. They could figure out a way to make gargants into one although I doubt they would. They could give Troggoths and Spiderfang their own armies too, maybe even bring back the scuttlings for spiderfang. There always regular non Ironjawz or Bonesplittaz Orruks as well, although I'm not entirely sure if those actually exist anymore lore wise. Other than those though I don't think there really is a whole lot lore wise at the moment unless they start making new races and factions with playable armies like they did with the Ossiarch Bonereapers. 

4 hours ago, Inquisitorsz said:

I think I read somewhere that with the new season of Underworlds being Ghur focused (Beastgrave).... that AOS will also be Ghur focused for a while.  

Which implies more destruction stuff, and I guess, perhaps Kurnothi could fit in there too.

This is certainly the existing trend but it’s pretty loose, largely just background for Ghur in the same fashion as for the more fleshed out realms, and it remains to be seen how much further GW will take it. 

Re: StD, might be worth noting that Mengel’s review of the Ossiarch tome notes that Katakros has just launched a massive invasion of the Eightpoints, aiming straight at Archaon’s fastness. That could be the event that provides the lead in for a new StD tome.

1 hour ago, Dirtnaps said:

I think Fimir could definitely be one, Gitmob Grots could be another. They could figure out a way to make gargants into one although I doubt they would. They could give Troggoths and Spiderfang their own armies too, maybe even bring back the scuttlings for spiderfang. There always regular non Ironjawz or Bonesplittaz Orruks as well, although I'm not entirely sure if those actually exist anymore lore wise. Other than those though I don't think there really is a whole lot lore wise at the moment unless they start making new races and factions with playable armies like they did with the Ossiarch Bonereapers. 

Grotbag Scuttlers. The goblins that have airships. There's been quite a bit of info on them in recent battletomes, they have even have a proper name already and are being consistently called by it. This rumor engine may be related or not.

Scuttlers.jpg

• LOVE IT! 5

So with StD potential book. What about the fact that the Darkoath Harbinger is the last of the Malign Portents armies to be released. And all the other 3 had huge new releases of models, loads of heroes, all sorts of units. If we are saying that Warcry are all the new models, it's all just incoherent chaff units, in unit sizes of 7, 8 or 9. Is Warcry the big model release for StDs? 

@Tropical Ghost General

With the book now confirmed (well just waiting Blood & Glory to be 101% sure), it still not that big of a surprise. 

As many said, it was obvious StD would get a tome : they are Archaon own army, they have a huge range, their own allegiance abilities in the GHB since 2016, got previewd ruelwise as one army in AOS2 and on the Website, got a Heroes in Silver Tower, a Harbinger in Malign Portents and a dedicated Warhammer Underworlds warband. Then we got Warcry with a tons of new Chaos Monsters and Barbarians, who all got the StD keywords.

But what some people where / are really excepting for a new StD release - even not as big as the Grot, Nighthaunts or SCE ones - is new Maraudeurs and new Chaos Warriors. Maybe 1-2 new Heroes and a big monster like a Aossified Chaos mammoth. The rest of the range being still pretty good.

Because we got teased with Darkoath Barbarians since AOS1, and we started to see artworks and rumor engines in AOS2 that looked like Varanguard on foot, pic related : 

StD_Maraudeurs_Warriors.png.879995cdcc14d40f6d84870ddccf6c38.png

NB : those RE where not from a Warcry war band, not even the Spire Tyrants ! (But the beard one could in fact be the back of the Fomoroid Crusher).

So now we know we'll get New Battletome, Endless Spells, a Start Collecting, and, according to our very @Whitefang :

- A new mounted Chaos Lord,

- New Chaos Knights. 

I'm fine with that.,,, but I would still have preferred proper replacement kits for Warriors and Maraudeurs on foot instead of new Knights (the current kit is fine and we also have Varanguards). Then that doomed fella down here look pretty good (and a bit like the existing kit, with the cape from the old metal one) : 

75625279_2616375088427652_3577524267975180288_n.jpg.23a7bd129eeac56b5c44abf3a31e228f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, TheMuphinMan said:

so the skaven box is the old skaven box with the finecast units swapped for clanrats, and the gloomspite has fanatics with no way to get them on the field (if built by box art). Feels like the boxes didnt have much thought but into them.

GW knows there are a million Nigh Goblins from Skull pass still out there getting your hands on 60-120 Night goblins is easy, I am glad they didnt put 20 NG in the box, it would be a waste

6 hours ago, JangutzKhan said:

In addition, I believe there will be at least one more new model (kind of) for std after new knights 

What ? New knights? Where does it come from? You mean new knights as in "knights that replace the one that we love in SC! boxes and iconic knights"? Or reboxing packaging varanguards and call them new knights?

Please, tell us more!

There have been rumors of Slaves getting new models, however nothing concrete and the recent release leak up to December doesn't show any new models. The only potential new thing is the start collecting set, which could just be a reboxing or an adjustment of existing plastic models. 

Chaos Knights are not that bad a kit and reasonably modern. The Warriors and Marauders on foot are where the range has aged models, with Marauders just looking odd compared to much newer sculpts; whilst warriors are decently sculpted but exceptionally monopose (they are basically all standing square with their arms at their hips holding a weapon and shield). 

Personally I'd expect to see all the finecast lords leave the range as there are plastic alternatives for the leader slot. Then I'd expect to see on-foot marauders go as well. Even if GW didn't remove them its clear that the Warcry Warbands are going to fill the exact same slot in the army and they look a million times better. So even if the old kit doesn't vanish I could see many people just using warcry models as stand-ins. 

There's also the new Warcry monster coming as well as the Spire Tyrants (who really look very marauder). 

It would be a really big misser opportunity not to release new undivided (but markable) chaos warriors for AoS. They are such an iconic part of warhammer. Stormcast are the ‘order’ opposite of the chaos warriors. But that isn’t properly represented in the models. You could argue khorne and nurgle have decent replacements for their warriors but Tzeentch does not and Slaanesh has no devoted mortals... 

I wouldn't get hopes up of new warriors or anything other than a model or two. It has been a stellar year for AoS with, including a StD book, 12 battletomes!! That's crazy.

What it seems to be happening is that GW is setting the groundwork, getting the books this year which gives them freedom next year. 

We could see lots of new armies but I suspect we'll see things along the lines of campaigns and supplements that could come with replacement models for armies, much like the blood of the phoenix for 40k.

Again tho, 12 battletomes!!! That's insane!

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

50 minutes ago, elfhead said:

It would be a really big misser opportunity not to release new undivided (but markable) chaos warriors for AoS. They are such an iconic part of warhammer. Stormcast are the ‘order’ opposite of the chaos warriors. But that isn’t properly represented in the models. You could argue khorne and nurgle have decent replacements for their warriors but Tzeentch does not and Slaanesh has no devoted mortals... 

As long as the finecast models are updated and maybe a new hero that would be OK, although new warriors would be sick. 

13 hours ago, Whitefang said:

What I said 4 months ago, I will say it again

And to the lad who was planning to sell his std, hope you did not. 

I did and after that i actually felt surprisingly good. even with the new book rumours and all that.

If i look at Wacry it's just nott what i look for in StD. I expect 7 feet tall heavy armored killer machines with sword n' board.

Even if the new book is true i can choose now from deep sea divers, Harry Potter Slitheren,  Moulin Roughe dancer or Bird people right of the carnival.

It's just not my cup of tea anymore

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, JangutzKhan said:

As long as the finecast models are updated and maybe a new hero that would be OK, although new warriors would be sick. 

I think it was on one of the recent Stormcasts recently where one of the model designers said that, because they had to design with mass rank units in mind it's of the older models cann be quite square and lack dynamism, I think Chaos Warriors are particularly bad for this.

A new kit that opens their poses up but doesn't really change them much thematically would be great.

• Like 3

Remember when in this thread was a guy who claimed lots of rumours but we (as a community) jumped him and put lots and lots of salt on what he said.

Anyone remembers around which page he posted? I'm curious if he was right in the end.

Edited by Zerthin

2 hours ago, Zerthin said:

Remember when in this thread was a guy who claimed lots of rumours but we (as a community) jumped him and put lots and lots of salt on what he said.

Anyone remembers around which page he posted? I'm curious if he was right in the end.

The one who said there will be a unified duardin tome?

Yeah I think he was either very misled by someone or intentionally seeding false rumor. Either way pretty much every rumor they had was quickly proven wrong. 

As for the whole 8 month thing eh based on GW's current track record 8 months from now isn't a bad time frame to guess that they'd release another army within that span of time. Or if not release at least start teasing and showing previews. 
Thing is there's two that we know of - light and dark aelves - but we've also got loads of legacy models and quite a few armies that are very small. Heck Daughters of Khaine have less kits than Ossiarchs are going to launch with. Same for Fyreslayers and Flesheaters. So there's a good few armies that might get a big expansion or a trickle of models for several armies at once etc... 

Plus we've got armies like Skaven and Seraphon with large blocks of old models due for an update. 

So there are a lot of ways GW could go, plus it seems that after the Death story/lore focus they are going to shift toward Destruction Grand Alliance. 

On 10/30/2019 at 12:16 PM, EccentricCircle said:

Here's a thought about the Kurnothi.

There's debate as to whether they will be their own thing, whether they should be part of Sylvaneth, etc. But what if we're seeing the start of other factions getting what I'll call the "Stormcast Treatment".

Phil Kelly recently referred to Kurnothi as "a type of aelf-like Sylvaneth that worships the hunting god aspect".

I believe it was in the 40 strange facts about the Mortal Realms in the last White Dwarf.

Going from that, I take it they will be a subfaction of Sylvaneth but hard to say how they will introduced into AoS proper.  It could literally be a White Dwarf mini-tome entry for the time being and then rolled into Sylvanth in the follow up Tome in the future, or it could be their own stand alone Tome but retaining the Sylvaneth keyword.  Alternatively they could be Ally only but with a combo battalion that allows cross use of traits but that seems counter-intuitive to refer to them as Sylvaneth at all in that case.

• Like 1

Well right now they appear as units for the Sylvaneth. They might well remain as just a warband and nothing more. Underworld lets GW make warbands like that without having to commit to a full army range. 

If they do become a new force it might be a good few years yet. Sylvaneth are not too bad for new models and are quite up to date. So I'd expect other forces to get a few more updates (or would hope so) before they get a big update like that .But who is to say, only GW knows the plan and the future.