The Rumour Thread

49 minutes ago, Overread said:

Lets not forget most of the stormcast heroes in the lore are pretty new and most only have a few stories to their name. That said it is seeming that more and more knights for stormcast are the way GW is going for unique/character models.

That's true but look at Skagrott or Lady Olynder or Horticulous Slimex, they're all new but are characterful and fleshed out. They have interesting hooks and distinctive personalities. The only stormcast example I can think of in the game with anywhere close to that is Neave Blacktalon and she's still got less to her than those guys.

Basically all the others are nothing more than a flat "he/she was a noble hero before his reforging, he/she a noble hero now" (though Aventis Firestrike and Astreia Soulbright have the barest ghosts of hooks as potential). There's good examples in the background, like Hamilcar Bear-Eater, but interesting memorable stormcast characters just aren't there in the battletome or on the board.

16 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

That's true but look at Skagrott or Lady Olynder or Horticulous Slimex, they're all new but are characterful and fleshed out. They have interesting hooks and distinctive personalities. The only stormcast example I can think of in the game with anywhere close to that is Neave Blacktalon and she's still got less to her than those guys.

Basically all the others are nothing more than a flat "he/she was a noble hero before his reforging, he/she a noble hero now" (though Aventis Firestrike and Astreia Soulbright have the barest ghosts of hooks as potential). There's good examples in the background, like Hamilcar Bear-Eater, but interesting memorable stormcast characters just aren't there in the battletome or on the board.

MUH LOST MEMARIES! MUH FAMLE KILED BY CAYUS

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Harioch said:

The questor is nice but i still wonder when GW will acknowledge stormcasts characters from black library. I mean...Gardus and Balthas are awesome and we still get named-characters-with-no-backstory(or boring one) as release for SCE...I just find it weird..

Agree. The Black Library Stormcast characters feel like a missed opportunity. Maybe Forge World could do something with them similar to the Horus Heresy character series?

• Like 4

This might be one of those "the design team made it go give it a name and rules." Situations where no one in the design team has made a BL character because those who can/do sculpt stormcast either don't like the novels or haven't even read them; whilst management hasn't made the character a focus (like, say, Gotrek) and thus there's no management push. 

It might also be that GW designed up more basic troops and troop types and is now re-using that material as a small line of hero characters; having realised that the stormcast listings are pretty chock full.

Heck on that line of thinking I really hope that stormcast being as full as they are starts GW down the path of breaking up the AoS army structure a bit. I feel that with leaders, troops, monstrous creatures and artillery there's not enough breakup. Troops is a nasty mish mash of infantry, cavalry, support, elites, ranged, close combat, air, ground etc.. all mashed in together. I think if it were divided up a bit and things were moves around a little it would encourage more niche development a but similar to what 40K has - which in turn helps encourage diversity and varied functionality - which in turn leaves more room for more types of troop. Of course it can make small armies at a disadventage till they get an update. Forces like Fyrelsyaers or Flesheaters could suffer under such a system due to their inherent lack of unit variety. 

Personally I think that new stormcast model is very bland. It looks like the kind of thing you could kit bash from one of the unit boxes. It also feels like a bit of a kick in the teeth to bring out yet another stormcast character a week after the cities book came out with no character model release.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Classic-Inferno-Print-on-Demand-Collection-3-2019

A new reprint wave of Inferno books! Only this time instead of 5 there's 10 in the set! This, has had the downside of doubling the price up to £50 for the whole lot (yes each book is still the same price as before £5). Bit of a pain for GW to double the amount without warning, but at the same time this takes us over half way and if they keep going it means only two more reprint runs to get the whole set completed (46 issues). 

Great books too, short stories, cartoons, artwork, cutaways, lore - everything from the early days of 40K, Mordhiem, Gorkamorka, Necromunda, Old World fantasy and more. Heck some of the biggest and longest running series of books started life here in the Inferno. Great reads even if there's no AoS stuff in them. The reprints are also really well done

https://warminiatures.wordpress.com/2018/11/03/inferno-the-classic-era/

There might not be much eye candy on the new SCE model, however it's still nice to see the classic heroic poses every once in a while. Warhammer wouldn't be warhammer without those.

If you want it to look more interesting, treat it as canvas you can personalise to fit your own guys.

Edited by Panzer

I agree with the feeling. Instead of new named character with almost no background, if they need to make new SCE models at least some from the novels. There’s so many cool characters and they don’t need to have special rules. There’s White Dwarf for it. Having only Neave and Vandus is quite a shame.

So tomorrow’s announcement for pre-order would fit with the last possible day for a release in October (26). Will we see Bonereapers? Or would they pre-order the week after and release technically in November?

9 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

So tomorrow’s announcement for pre-order would fit with the last possible day for a release in October (26). Will we see Bonereapers? Or would they pre-order the week after and release technically in November?

It's impossible to tell. But if they are going to release all the models they've shown off then I'd wager its a 2 week release to get it all out and that, to me, suggests that they won't want to have it pushing that far into November when there's already Sisters of Battle in there and potentially Ogres as well. So all that makes me think that we will see the preview for Bonereapers pre-order tomorrow. 

18 hours ago, Gecktron said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/10/11/an-unexpected-hero-arrives/

Better pictures and a 360° view on Warhammer-Community.

I like him. I hope he isnt an event exclusiv model as Id like to add him to my Hammerhal force! 

If you take out the sword, and put a book in his left hand, it's easy to see the Excelsior Warpriest that's missing from CoS.

The priest still looks better, of course (and has a cute griffin), but that's a matter of taste (with good taste preferring the Excelsior Warpriest, and bad this Knight Questor).

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

(with good taste preferring the Excelsior Warpriest, and bad this Knight Questor).

What if I like both?

EDIT: And I believe that Excelsior Warpriest will be back. Maybe with Devoted for Sigmar book release or with AoS RPG.

Edited by michu
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Panzer said:

There might not be much eye candy on the new SCE model, however it's still nice to see the classic heroic poses every once in a while. Warhammer wouldn't be warhammer without those.

If you want it to look more interesting, treat it as canvas you can personalise to fit your own guys.

I second this notion! I happen to like the sculpt, and with a bit of conversion work I think it'll look sweet. I'm thinking along the lines of greenstuffing hair of some kind, maybe a fauxhawk with a man bun, filling the parchments up and giving it a coat of pva+kitchen towel to model the remnants of a tattered scarf, chop off the hammer head and put in a flaming torch modeled with a q-tip and pva, shave off some of the trinkets and the result is going nicley towards some type of witch hunter character.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Aryann said:

I wish diversity and representation didn't just mean black people. As far as I know there are no Far East or Middle East Asians in AoS. Just as in all Western movies, games, etc. 

There are some in the short stories ( Japanese Samurai, Monks etc) but never in real models

Honestly its likely that the sculptors in GW are just like many in the west and used to creating certain styles of model and eastern just isn't in their skill or experience set. You likely get a similar, but reverse, effect in games made in the far east. 

Another aspect is that a LOT of traditional fantasy focuses on the medieval western world. Even if other nations are present they are often the enemy, under developed (in terms of within the narrative rather than as a nation); simply not present etc.... Basically they are often "oh yeah there's asians in far off lands we don't travel too ever" kind of things. 

Heck Ursula Le Guin wrote her famous Earthsea fantasy novels in reaction to the fact that there, at the time, was hardly a single fantasy story about any character who was't a white European. Even today we don't get all that many such stories. 

Personally I don't think its racism so much as just a lack of alternate culture inspiration. I also think that its changed a lot and we are generally seeing more influx and desire for different racial backgrounds and such within fantasy. Though like many things its slow to change. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1