The Rumour Thread

3 hours ago, smartazjb0y said:

Just saw that the new 40k battle box is $230. I don't play 40k, is that standard? Or when compared to the battle boxes AoS gets (Looncurse, Carrion Empire) that go for $160, does it actually have a lot more stuff inside? 

What the hell. I can tell you now that I hope AoS doesn't head in this direction for its dual boxes. That's an insane price hike, even if you're planning to split it. I don't even know if you're saving any money at that point.

1 hour ago, Mutton said:

What the hell. I can tell you now that I hope AoS doesn't head in this direction for its dual boxes. That's an insane price hike, even if you're planning to split it. I don't even know if you're saving any money at that point.

You are saving money, here's the breakdown in pound:

2 characters: 17.50 x2 (expecting the price is the same as other similar characters)
Howling banshees: 25 (expecting the price is the same as current models, which it probably won't be)
Incubi: 25 (same as above)
Falcon: 32.50
Vyper: 20
Venom: 20
 Scourges 17.50
 Helions: 17.50

Total: 192.50
Savings: 52.50

On the lot you save money sure, but only if you want ALL these models, which a lot of people don't.

My guess is that this is an experiment for GW, they want to see if a pricier box will sell well or not, and if they can do keep doing that going forward. I suppose they don't expect the box to sell that much anyway, it's just Eldars and Drukhari, not Space Marines, so it's not too big a risk for them. It's time to vote with your wallet.

5 hours ago, sandlemad said:

simply noting how very clearly artificial they are. There's no animal in all the world with bones like those on the rear shins

There's also no floating eternal necromancer in all the world with enough back support to hold up a hat as big as Nagash's.

The point is that it matters no one jot if there is a real-world animal comparison for these constructed beasts. The "unnaturalness" of them is, I bet, a big part of Nagash's intention. I believe he _wants_ his opponents to look at them and go "that thing is ... Not Natural!"

Think sort of like how the uncanny valley disturbs us when we see it.

24 minutes ago, Minis by Night said:

My guess is that this is an experiment for GW, they want to see if a pricier box will sell well or not, and if they can do keep doing that going forward. I suppose they don't expect the box to sell that much anyway, it's just Eldars and Drukhari, not Space Marines, so it's not too big a risk for them. It's time to vote with your wallet.

You're missing that it's the only place you cwill be able to get plastic aspect warriors, phoenix lord, incubi and Drazhar. It will sell, people will whine but they'll buy it.

20 minutes ago, michu said:

You're missing that it's the only place you cwill be able to get plastic aspect warriors, phoenix lord, incubi and Drazhar. It will sell, people will whine but they'll buy it.

This is always my fear. There will always be affluent hobbyists to toss money around at anything that gets released; and I worry it's this sub-section of people that GW will only further target. I know we go round and round on the "Is the cost worth it?" debate, but eventually there'll be customers that simply cannot keep up with the prices---regardless of the reasoning behind the increases. You need to keep a middle ground somewhere, and these types of boxes (along with SC boxes) used to be great for people wanting to jump into the hobby at a respectable entry fee. I'd hate to see a world where $230 boxes are the norm, and no one at the shops can afford them except for the particularly well off. And as mentioned above, you're only just barely saving any money, and that's if you even want both armies. We're slowly whittling away at the idea of "savings" and heading toward those hokey online pre-order deals that bundle everything at full retail price.

Anyway, that's enough worrymongering. We always see trends between AoS and 40k, which is why I bothered to say anything. Maybe this is a one-time thing and nothing will come of it; but if it isn't, it shouldn't be slid by us without an utterance of disdain.

Edited by Mutton
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Minis by Night said:

You are saving money, here's the breakdown in pound:

2 characters: 17.50 x2 (expecting the price is the same as other similar characters)
Howling banshees: 25 (expecting the price is the same as current models, which it probably won't be)
Incubi: 25 (same as above)
Falcon: 32.50
Vyper: 20
Venom: 20
 Scourges 17.50
 Helions: 17.50

Total: 192.50
Savings: 52.50

On the lot you save money sure, but only if you want ALL these models, which a lot of people don't.

GW products seem to be more expensive in USD than in GBP. This new eldar box is about 25% more expensive than in the UK from what I have quickly worked out in my head. For comparison the SC boxes are about 15% more expensive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mutton said:

This is always my fear. There will always be affluent hobbyists to toss money around at anything that gets released; and I worry it's this sub-section of people that GW will only further target. I know we go round and round on the "Is the cost worth it?" debate, but eventually there'll be customers that simply cannot keep up with the prices---regardless of the reasoning behind the increases. You need to keep a middle ground somewhere, and these types of boxes (along with SC boxes) used to be great for people wanting to jump into the hobby at a respectable entry fee. I'd hate to see a world where $230 boxes are the norm, and no one at the shops can afford them except for the particularly well off. And as mentioned above, you're only just barely saving any money, and that's if you even want both armies. We're slowly whittling away at the idea of "savings" and heading toward those hokey online pre-order deals that bundle everything at full retail price.

Anyway, that's enough worrymongering. We always see trends between AoS and 40k, which is why I bothered to say anything. Maybe this is a one-time thing and nothing will come of it; but if it isn't, it shouldn't be slid by us without an utterance of disdain.

GW has been taking that route for a long time and people have definitely already been prized out a long time ago. I know there where times I looked into getting back into the hobby and found it impossible purely due to cost. I'm only back in due to a combination of slight improvements, patience (getting an army is a very long term prospect for me) and changed priorities.

I feel that is where the strong support for Warcry, Underworlds, Warhammer Quest and Kill Team come in. Getting into AoS or 40k is a huge investment, not just monetarily, but also in time time and effort (and that in a great variety of fields to boot, with assembly, painting, loads of rules, at least basic lore, all possibly entirely foreign to interested newcomers). GW seems to currently recognize that there are big hurdles to getting in or just keeping up.

The smaller games offer a way to engage for people without the time or money for the big games, as well as those without the nerve to build and paint basic infantry guy #54 or assembling one of those damn tanks. And of course, this allows GW in turn to keep or win these people as customers.

As someone who doesn't realistically have the money or energy to really join the fray with a proper army, I'm by and large quite okay with that current direction. I have games where I can realistically participate. And even can still play at trying to build up an army to myself, if occassionally I choose to splurge on miniatures a few months a year.

Only problem with all that is when they ramp up the entry barrier for the smaller games too much, though that hasn't really happened yet if you accept that all cards for Underworlds and all Killteam expansions are only really needed if you want to get really competitive.

As for those big boxes battleboxes, I simply know they are not for me. I know I'll eventually have access to the miniatures in seperate packs in my prize class, even if it stings a little to know that people who actually have the disposable income actually get savings on the total content (though that is hardly an issue exclusive to our hobby). And if an interesting starter is coming I have enough advance warning to save up for a few months, as I did with Warcry.

All things said, while wargaming is certainly not a cheap hobby and is only getting more expensive, there are definitely a lot of hobbys with far more prohibitive cost.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Mutton said:

I probably fall under the "affluent" hobbyists, and I still wouldn't pay that price for some plastic.   But then again I'm not a competitive player, so that may be the difference.  I think competitive players are the ones who will pay the price no matter what.

13 minutes ago, chord said:

I probably fall under the "affluent" hobbyists, and I still wouldn't pay that price for some plastic.   But then again I'm not a competitive player, so that may be the difference.  I think competitive players are the ones who will pay the price no matter what.

When I started historical fencing, I was out about as much as what I paid for a bit over 6k points of cities* in protection and a rapier (and a very cheap rapier at that).

So yes, it is an expensive hobby, and Games Workshop is the expensive on between them, but startup costs in many hobbies are high.

*About 350-400 euros

Edited by zilberfrid

1 minute ago, zilberfrid said:

When I started historical fencing, I was out about as much as what I paid for a bit over 6k points of cities* in protection and a rapier (and a very cheap rapier at that).

So yes, it is an expensive hobby, and Games Workshop is the expensive on between them, but startup costs in many hobbies are high.

*About 350-400 euros

True but the difference is your equipment will not suddenly be unusable via a rules change whereas in WH a model can be dropped from competitive play and that investment is gone.   (Not really an issue for casual players).   

2 minutes ago, chord said:

True but the difference is your equipment will not suddenly be unusable via a rules change whereas in WH a model can be dropped from competitive play and that investment is gone.   (Not really an issue for casual players).   

That is true, but I am more of a builder/converter/painter than a player.

That said, a rules change has rendered my mask unusable for tournaments, so that is quite a similar situation, and rapiers can't be superglued together if they break.

59 minutes ago, xking said:

Interesting. I found Overlords of the Irondragon partly quite tough to read compared to other stories but it will be interesting if this book will be a prequel or sequel to it.

Another point. Do we have any information what stories will be in "The hammer & the eagle: Icons of Warhammer" and "Inferno 4"?

Edited by EMMachine

19 hours ago, mojojojo101 said:

GW products seem to be more expensive in USD than in GBP. This new eldar box is about 25% more expensive than in the UK from what I have quickly worked out in my head. For comparison the SC boxes are about 15% more expensive.

As far as I can tell, the prices of all the products in a  region are multiplied by the same factor compared to the UK, so the percentage of saving is the same. For example, all the Canadian prices are exactly 2:1 compared to the UK (a price of 10£ = 20$cad). So the price of the box is double, and so is the price of all the products it contains.

The difference in price between countries can partly be attributed to extra shipping costs.

6 hours ago, EMMachine said:

Interesting. I found Overlords of the Irondragon partly quite tough to read compared to other stories but it will be interesting if this book will be a prequel or sequel to it.

Another point. Do we have any information what stories will be in "The hammer & the eagle: Icons of Warhammer" and "Inferno 4"?

It was a pretty quick read for me - did you just not like it?  No judging here - the book was not exactly Shakespeare.

10 hours ago, mikethefish said:

It was a pretty quick read for me - did you just not like it?  No judging here - the book was not exactly Shakespeare.

It would fit better into one of the Novel threads but to say that much.

It's possible that it was the entire "we are greedy duardin, we are greedy duardin, we have a codex, we are greedy duardin" theme (it's possible that is was inflicted by the Prismatic King) and the point that the book has quite long chapters (not the best thing if you are communter mostly reading while travelling (2-4 hours per day), where you have to find a good starting point for the next part of traveling before leaving the train. I have basicly seen the same problem with the first Realmgate Wars Omnibus Book with the amount of text on the page).

It took quite long for me to read Overlords of the Irondragon(and that with the german version). I think it took me between 1-2 months until I finished . I didn't had that feeling with Shiprats (which is with the irondragon crew too). And in comparison I have read Ghoulslayer (the german version) in about 1,5 week nearly only by traveling and have read about 300 of 400 Pages of Hamilcar, Champion of the Gods (there is only an english version) in about 2 weeks.

6 hours ago, xking said:

Don't know.

Sadly I have expected that. Well Inferno 4 should be on preorder on saturday, so it will take me 1-2 weeks to find out what AoS Stories are in it. Really hope that there are some of the 16 quickread stories in it that don't have a physical release yet

With "The hammer & the eagle: Icons of Warhammer" I have to wait until end of January. I only hope they do not print "Prisoner of the Black Sun" or "Great Red" again after I already have 3 Books with those stories in it (Realmgate Wars Omnibus Volumn 2, Hammerhal & other Stories, Sacrosanct & other Stories)

Edited by EMMachine

12 minutes ago, AdamR said:

That Knight Questor looks awesome, and hopefully with its different wargear loadout, it might have slightly less bad rules than the regular one!

This will be the third Knight Questor with a distinct load out? Though one is a store anniversary model, so probably not relevant at large.

So are knight questors becoming the primaris lieutenants of AoS? I mean the model looks cool but even the stormcast have heroes from the lore that would be cooler than another generic hero, not to mention the nearly limitless number of excellent heroes from other armies that could use a resculpt or even a first plastic model.

• Like 3

Lets not forget most of the stormcast heroes in the lore are pretty new and most only have a few stories to their name. That said it is seeming that more and more knights for stormcast are the way GW is going for unique/character models. 

A shame as they've such a host of other factions that they could pick from 

• Like 1