The Rumour Thread

9 hours ago, alghero81 said:

I strongly doubt a warhammer quest in age of sigmar before black fortress finishes its cycle, they would compete with each other. Sadly I think we are years away from a fantasy hero quest.

yeah, pretty much agree, still plenty of life left in Blackstone, I see a new AoS Quest game as 2020 earliest (though would be delighted to be wrong) BUT I think there's still potential for some kind of boxed game this Xmas, just makes sense to me.

last year, if I recall correctly, we had Wrath & Rapture, Urban Conquest and Blackstone as the big, just in time for Xmas releases.

trying to think what's been announced... there's the new Kill Team starter set but that's already out, and I guess the whole Psychic Awakening shenanigans could lead to some big release but still leaves a potentially big AoS slot.

lots of things it could be that would work towards a Darkoath/StD type army in the new year, imagine a box like Speed Freaks but with Darkoath Chaos Hound Chariots and Rhinox riders or some other made up fantasy cavalry type stuff.

Anyway if there is something along those lines I'm sure we'll learn about it soon (I think BSF was announced at the end of August last year, so maybe it is too late).

3 hours ago, Zanzou said:

I guess what I am trying to say is, if warcry units (which are brand new warscrolls) were supposed to be the beginning of the battletome treatment, they probably wouldn't be such yawners.

they're not that bad? I mean I look at them as being your rank & file stock troops in a new Chaos army, they're pretty cheap (points wise), can all do at leats one thing reasonably interesting and unlike say the WHU warbands you can take them in units big enough that they won't get wiped off the board straight away.

I think they make a pretty cool flavourful basis for a StD army, one or two decent sized units that you then build on top of with, I'd assume, rejigged buffed and more elite Chaos Warriors. They all have the 'Chaos Cultists' keyword too that might mean nothing but could also open up some more interesting possibilities and abilities when a BT does drop.

2 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

Warhammer quest units are being phased out. You'd expect the Silver Tower heroes to show up in cities, but they don't.

This confuses me. It's like Forgeworld all over again.

They do the expensive and difficult part of designing the models and making the moulds, and then retire them when there is a main-line game that they would still be perfect for. It's not like they are dated sculpts, or anything.

Or was it some stupid mistake like putting different factions on the same sprue, or something? I never owned Silver Tower, so don't know how things were arranged on the sprues.

Edited by Kyriakin

9 minutes ago, Kyriakin said:

This confuses me. It's like Forgeworld all over again.

They do the expensive and difficult part of designing the models and making the moulds, and then retire them when there is a main-line game that they would still be perfect for. It's not like they are dated sculpts, or anything.

Or was it some stupid mistake like putting different factions on the same sprue, or something? I never owned Silver Tower, so don't know how things were arranged on the sprues.

At least the Excelsior Warpriest has its own sprue (with its gryph-puppy), so I expect the rest will also have that.

This also makes Underworlds a bit shaky, though they will probably usually just be used as alternate models due to the rules being awkward.

I imagine if the plan is to use the Warcry tribes as the backbone of the new StD book (which I think would be pretty cool if they wrapped them, Everchosen, all the newer Chaos kits, and a newer more elite Chaos Warriors kit into a book), they will have Warscrolls that cost a varying degree of points, be further differentiated, and be a bit more thought out. For example the Ogre in the Iron Golems won't just have 3 wounds, but will have separate weapon profiles, etc.

I'm pretty sure the current scrolls for the Warcry bands were just put out quickly so people could start using their models in AoS.

@Sabotage! there might be some changes but I actually thought one of the better things about those Warscrolls was that they were simplified them so that they’re much easier to run in decent sized units, not like Underworlds units  where even with just a handful of models they all have with different weapons making them a potential slog to use.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JPjr said:

@Sabotage! there might be some changes but I actually thought one of the better things about those Warscrolls was that they were simplified them so that they’re much easier to run in decent sized units, not like Underworlds units  where even with just a handful of models they all have with different weapons making them a potential slog to use.

That's a good point. I don't think they would need to go full ham on them, just do a few things like make the ogre hit like a normal ogre, etc. The factions unique rules for each warband are pretty flavorful and I think that's really all you need for special rules.

I certainly wouldn't want them like some of the Underworlds warscrolls.

13 minutes ago, JPjr said:

Exactly. Plus they are only around 80points for a minimum unit, that's pretty low for AoS in general for troops. So they aren't going to set the world on fire, but they are there to replace or work alongside the marauders - cheaper units used for chaff and such. Though the individual flavours of the Warbands gives them quite a bit of diversity -eg the Iron Golems are clearly an ideal cheap tarpit that is going to be tougher to remove. 
The warband aren't trying to replace Chaos Warriors nor to hand to hand with Stormcast, they are a mob of wild warriors at the lower end. Meanwhile in Warcry you're dealing with the cream of that crop, those who have risen higher than the masses teaming in armies, thus going on the quests to join the upper ranks. Something story based that isn't shown in the game (unless you consider that some Chaos Warriors were once Warband parties)

And this is all before Slaves gets a battletome with supporting leaders with auras and updated allegiance abilities and the like. 

I'd prefer it over them having a dozen rules for each model in the unit which would make them wildly impractical to use. As for the monopose, that's not really any different to many other models coming out at present. Plus once they are all jumbled up in a functional unit it won't appear as strange. 

image.png.92b91491f8163a6686bdf4d422a0f6be.png

New rumor engine is a tough one, extremely elaborate for a hammer. I'd almost say Aelven if an elf carrying a hammer wasn't clearly heresy, so I'm going to say Duardin instead, since Dwarfs also like elaborate weapons.

Looks possibly flame stylized, which is interesting.

A really odd one.

Can't see this being anything but aelven, aside from the style of all decorations being typically aelf, the handle is way to frail for a duradin item and they also tend to have blockier more solid heads on their hammers.

GW likes to have artillery crew walking around with light hammers, so maybe it could fit there. If this is Duradin after all, it could either be that or purely ceremonial.

Alternatively, we've seen aelves that are heir to the legacies of Mathlann, Khaine, Asurian (Phoenix Temple) and most recently Kurnoth. Maybe Vaul is the next on that list? Though a smiths hammer wouldn't be rounded I think?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rogue Explorator said:

Alternatively, we've seen aelves that are heir to the legacies of Mathlann, Khaine, Asurian (Phoenix Temple) and most recently Kurnoth. Maybe Vaul is the next on that list? Though a smiths hammer wouldn't be rounded I think?

I like this Vaul idea. Some hammers for working silver and gold can be rounded.

Or croquet?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Gothmaug said:

Might not be a hammer at all. That oval hole could be a port to attach it to something, or insert something into. 

But it it does look quite hammer-like

The hole has me thinking not hammer at all. Probably something Eldar related with the the new models they're getting around this psychic awakening stuff. 

Thinking about it a little more, I could maybe see 40k Rogue Traders and members of the Astra Telepathica carrying around something fancy looking like that, but it still wouldn't be my first guess.

I'd generally rule out aeldar, except maybe something dedicated Ynarri besides the triumvirate, which I still think is only a matter of time.

55 minutes ago, madmac said:

image.png.92b91491f8163a6686bdf4d422a0f6be.png

New rumor engine is a tough one, extremely elaborate for a hammer. I'd almost say Aelven if an elf carrying a hammer wasn't clearly heresy, so I'm going to say Duardin instead, since Dwarfs also like elaborate weapons.

Looks possibly flame stylized, which is interesting.

I'm thinking it's not a hammer. It looks trimmed. I think it's part of something bigger.

1 hour ago, Rogue Explorator said:

A really odd one.

Can't see this being anything but aelven, aside from the style of all decorations being typically aelf, the handle is way to frail for a duradin item and they also tend to have blockier more solid heads on their hammers.

GW likes to have artillery crew walking around with light hammers, so maybe it could fit there. If this is Duradin after all, it could either be that or purely ceremonial.

My bet is on cities of sigmar book which makes the slaves of darkness book much more closer as slaves of darkness is the chaos equvalent of cities of waaaaagmar thus i just want to share this.

These are the current Hammerer... well, hammers. You can see the 'curly' designs in a few of them, particularly the centre. In addition those tiny gems feature quite a bit in Dwarf/Fyreslayer designs.

99120205025_Hammerers03.jpg

What gives me pause is that the haft of the Rumour Engine is quite slim. 

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 2