The Rumour Thread

1 minute ago, michu said:

Do you think that Tome of the Champions could be full skirmish rules for all factions? Or like Gaming Book for AoS?

I'm hoping it's full rules for a bunch more factions as that's what would make it worth it; don't think it's quite Gaming Book level since it does still seem like you'll need the core book. 

I think adding more factions to the book is definitely the smart move, there's not even that many more it would need to cover most allegiances really.

Death just needs to add rules for Bone Reapers, Destruction needs Ogors, Order is missing Fyreslayers/KO/Sylvaneth/Seraphon and maybe some sort of Free Cities faction. Chaos already has all it's new warbands but adding Beastmen and Skaven to the mix would be ace.

• Like 1

I wanna cry when I see all the new miniatures for Warcry and still nothing for StD/Darkoath for AoS. Why is GW playing with us like this?
Since Hedonites of Slaanesh, AoS got new miniatures, Warcry got 40 and counting, WHU got 2 Warbands and 2 announced. Is GW slightly letting done the game? I dont understand their moves. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CommodoreCass said:

I wanna cry when I see all the new miniatures for Warcry and still nothing for StD/Darkoath for AoS. Why is GW playing with us like this?
Since Hedonites of Slaanesh, AoS got new miniatures, Warcry got 40 and counting, WHU got 2 Warbands and 2 announced. Is GW slightly letting done the game? I dont understand their moves. 

2019 was very much a "catch up all the older armies to 2.0 standards" and I mean we're getting Ossiarch Bonereapers in a month, I'm not too concerned. 

That was unexpected. The Fomoroid is decent, got a strong Warmachine/Hordes feel to it. The Spire Tyrant axeman is... fine. Warcry remains the premier game for folks who like their musclebunch but hope the other members of his warband are more interesting.

Fingers crossed on that new book containing more than just reprints of the cards for the non-chaos warbands. Skaven, etc would be cool.

49 minutes ago, michu said:

Agree, It looks like a mix of LotR Troll and Drukhari Clawed Fiend, But he has one eye and it has "Fomoroid" in it's name. It's clearly inspired by celtic fomorians but it could be also a reference to Fimirs.

It think it's both. At any rate the Fimir were themselves a much more direct reference to the Fomorians and specifically Balor of the Evil Eye (ironic that they were an early deliberate attempt to make something unique to GW but were even then pulling closely from myth) so it's two roads to the same destination really.

Well, that Warcry preview is a pleasant surprise.

I like how basic the Spire Tyrant looks. I'm sure many will find him to bland, but while customizing and converting for Warcry, I've found that most of the warbands (all but Untamed Beasts really) have almost too much character and specific detail. Meaning it is very hard to swap in parts from othe kits or make them your own without messing up their style or feeling like taking away their character. So it's nice for me to have a more baseline Chaos warband to go wild on.

The Fomoroid is neat. I feel like he might be a way for Slaves to  get a replacemen that isn't a Destruction pallet swap for Chaos Trolls and Chaos Ogres in the Monstrous Infantry spot moving forward. But even if he stays a standalone, that is a nice model with lots of conversion potential. More importantly, it is a great signal that Warcry will see miniature support besides warbands and repackages in the future.

On another note, I think at this point GW's release strategy after both mainline Games are fully updated is starting to crystalize:

- Warcry, Underworlds and Blackstone Fortress have seen some pretty steady miniature releases since their release. I think this is great, as it really  adds value to those games, supports hobbyists who aren't into collecting big armies and allows GW to release miniatures for a lot of things that where never really viable in the big games. I suspects it also opens the hobby to a lot of people who wouldn't be interested or mostly stick to the sideline (following lore and releases, but not really commiting) and thus brings in more new people into the hobby.

-Interestingly, the same can't be said for Killteam, which saw a lot of rules books (yet still doesn't have an update for the new CSM kit options), but the only dedicated miniature release was Rogue Trader, which had great models, but was, I think, overall a really disappointing product. I wonder if we will see an overhaul or change in direction there.

- Classical army updates, that sees a few new or updated kits coming in along with a new codex/battletome, might be getting rarer or even go all together. This year, Space Marines and Hedonites where the only ones I'd put into that cathegory. Everything else was either a minimum effort update, a much bigger release in the new army launch and almost full line overhaul cathegory or a splash release.

- 40k had quite a few splash releases this year, with the stretched out Chaos line update, the Space Marine mini dexes, the vehicles coming with Apokalypse and, though it cam with a codex, I'd argue Chaos Knights. And it looks like it is ramping up to do that even more with Psychic Power looking like it is build to deliver Splash releases.

- From the above two I'd say in the future for both main games we can expect far fewer traditional army updates, but far more splash releases. While somewhat messy when it comes to rules being all over the place, I feel this is the supperior approach to miniature support, making it less likely players and collectors need to wait years to see a new or updated kit for their factions.

-Speaking of updated kits, I think between Gloomspite, Chaos Space Marines, upcoming Sisters of Battle and the previews for Psychic Awakening, I think we can say that GW is once again updating old kits that aren't demons. Something they haven't done for a while before Gloomspite. Even better, only two of these came with a Codex or Battletome. So there is reason to hope for everyone.

• Like 2

Kill Team was never a new model line, it was always the into game building off the core 40K sets. The idea being you bought into Killteam as a means to buy and play with 40K models without having to buy a whole army to get started. It was more a big marketing and game move to make something that has been in 40K for a very long time (kill team) and make it more interesting, more individual and also more aware to the market. Boosting its popularity to the point where it generates its own games and interest both from existing gamers and with a view toward newbies and oldbies who might have less free time and who still want to game. 

Warcry is broadly the same, only GW has been using it to deliver a bunch of Slaves to Darkness models alongside. I think they've also built it up from the ground to work smoother at being a quick-round quick to start game iwth the terrain cards and the like. I think that was aiming to really make it fast and also accessible. Solving two key issues - fast so that it doesn't waste time for those who don't have much free time; simple for those brand new to wargames who might not even have much of a local gaming scene yet. Cards that define terrain and all the objectives and such from the get-go means that you can play it with very little experience at setup. 

Is it just me, or is that Warrior guy not that well painted? Better than I could do, but for Eavy Metal he seems a bit slack.

Also, the Crusher looks Privateer Press AF. That's not a bad thing per-se, but depends on your preferred aesthetics.

Edited by Kyriakin

1 hour ago, Kyriakin said:

Is it just me, or is that Warrior guy not that well painted? Better than I could do, but for Eavy Metal he seems a bit slack.

Also, the Crusher looks Privateer Press AF. That's not a bad thing per-se, but depends on your preferred aesthetics.

A lot of the studio style painting is a bit simpler today.  I think its partly GW trying to advertise at "standard tabletop" quality which is easier for more gamers to copy-cat. Whilst GW still has Evy Metal quality items floating around. 

Meanwhile some of Foregeworlds models appear to be being given to beginners

1 minute ago, Overread said:

A lot of the studio style painting is a bit simpler today.  I think its partly GW trying to advertise at "standard tabletop" quality which is easier for more gamers to copy-cat. Whilst GW still has Evy Metal quality items floating around. 

Indeed, the Crusher is well-painted. It's night and day between those two models painting-wise.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/09/30/games-workshop-and-marvel-comics-team-upgw-homepage-post-1

Marvel is going to do GW COMICS! Ok so chances are it all starts out 40K but AoS might well get a look in too. 

The question is does this mean we now have to put up with GW adding super-heroes to 40K! Will Space Marines appear in the next massive marvel catch-all-every character we can think of film? Will we have to work out if Superman is stronger than Khorne?! Does this mean we get annual cross over comics where the Emperor of Man appears before the Xmen and fights it out with Dr Xvaier? 

(ps I've no idea which superheroes are DC and which are Marvel since to me they mostly just sorta blur together into a collective superhero soup). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

Well, I won't be getting warcry for Christmas then...

It seems like an odd idea to pull a major starter set just before the holiday season, but hey ho, its not as though there's much of a chance of actually getting to play it anyway.

It's not so much that they are pulling it but that stock is selling out. Considering how fast they are bringing the individual content to retail it suggests that they knew it would sell out pretty fast; but they likely hoped it would make it that far - if not they expected it t obe fully gone by Christmas - and now they know it likely will go well before.

It's a welcome warning. 

I'm also equally glad that they've sped up bringing individual content to sale. We still don't have the new Flesheater nor Skaven leaders from WAY at the start of the year in their duel box. 

• Like 1