The Rumour Thread

2 hours ago, Eldarain said:

Do we know if the reapers can take any other existing minis outside of Arkhan and Morghasts? Could be new kits with an old hero.

I mean maybe Nagash himself since he's in the army picture but other than that there aren't any other constructs outside of Morghasts and mortarch mounts in the models currently available so probably not.

4 hours ago, KriticalKhan said:

With how full the remainder of 2019 is and considering that GW hates me I'm going to speculate/assume that Mawtribes is going to be an early 2020 release, with the rumored Bonereaper vs Ogre box releasing alongside it.  Like the situation between Gloomspite and Sylvaneth, one faction will release first (Gloomspite/Bonereapers), then several months later, the other faction (Sylvaneth/Ogres) will get a book coinciding with the battle box. The tyrant will be like the Loonboss on Cave Squig, an update to a pre-existing model that's exclusive to the battle box, the store page will still have the old one.

Only issue with this is that Bonereapers are a new faction, so any hero that releases with the box couldn't be an update like the Loonboss, because there wouldn't be a hero to update. They'd have to be a hero that releases alongside the Bonereaper book, which diminishes the value of the battle box (no shiny new model for the Bonereapers), or the hero would have rules in the book, but no actual model for GW to sell, which GW doesn't do, or it would have rules that come with the battle box, and the Bonereaper book would be out-of-date almost immediately.

The more I think about this, the less sense it makes, but I don't see any other scenario where ogres get an updated Tyrant; only updating one model would be kinda weird, and I don't see any reality where ogres get a more substantial update. Maybe the box will be against a different faction, I don't know anything.

I wouldn’t be so sure, we know they’re at least getting the Tyrant and replacements for the Hunter and Saber kits via Beastgrave. That could indicate the rumors of all the Finecast being replaced or cut are true. All they’d need then is a Butcher kit and the king speculated/rumored/extremely desire Yhetee-Gorger dual kit. 

14 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

Maybe the reason Seraphon and Slaves have yet to be updated is because these two may be the next starter box / main plot armies. 

Natural enemies if I'm not mistaken...

Seraphon are the ying to Chaos yang in the lore right?

Seems to me that updating these two at the same time makes sense. 

Just speculation. 

If you mean a new box like Looncurse, maybe.
But if that's the case, shouldn't the Battletomes come first?
Besides 40k's Shadowspear I believe all of those boxes have been repacks of old kits (plus new heroes). And I think at least Seraphons deserve a few new kits that mix with some of their current ones, a la Gloomspite.

If it's a proper starter box (ie. 3rd edition) I'd bet it'll be Stormcast vs. Destruction.
As we first had Stormcasts vs. Chaos and now Stormcasts vs. Death.

7 minutes ago, Tenshi said:

If you mean a new box like Looncurse, maybe.
But if that's the case, shouldn't the Battletomes come first?
Besides 40k's Shadowspear I believe all of those boxes have been repacks of old kits (plus new heroes). And I think at least Seraphons deserve a few new kits that mix with some of their current ones, a la Gloomspite.

If it's a proper starter box (ie. 3rd edition) I'd bet it'll be Stormcast vs. Destruction.

At this point I am not sure if GW will keep on the "Protagonist Faction" like they do for 40k or if they will turn that down. But yes, a Box like Looncurse seems more possible to me.

Seraphon are currently a weird faction. They can go nuts with some of the battalions, but have at the same time several dead warscrolls like saurian knights. Our local Seraphon player really lost any joy in playing them most of the time, sadly :(

27 minutes ago, Charleston said:

At this point I am not sure if GW will keep on the "Protagonist Faction" like they do for 40k or if they will turn that down. But yes, a Box like Looncurse seems more possible to me.

Seraphon are currently a weird faction. They can go nuts with some of the battalions, but have at the same time several dead warscrolls like saurian knights. Our local Seraphon player really lost any joy in playing them most of the time, sadly :(

I must say there is less focus on Stormcast nowadays, which I find nice. I think there will remain more factions in Order than in the other three, but that may be projection.

Updating Seraphon and Slaves simultaneously would patch the largest holes that still exist (after the Ogors, and a few key Skaven units).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

I must say there is less focus on Stormcast nowadays, which I find nice. I think there will remain more factions in Order than in the other three, but that may be projection.

Updating Seraphon and Slaves simultaneously would patch the largest holes that still exist (after the Ogors, and a few key Skaven units).

In general AoS 2.0 introduced a more grimdark aproach to the setting. Stormcasts are more diverse, having also downsides like fanatical stormhosts slaughtering innocents. Yet the decision will be based on business relevant questions: Does a Protagonist Faction increase sales and popularity? With the current way, of GW releasing also Boxes with a neat discount parallel to the starter set we really do not have to complain about SCE being in the startersets so far.

Well, regarding to Slaves, I am quite sure this topic bothers some gw designers more than we belive actually. The fact that we´ve got a lot Darkoath-related stuff seemed like a hint that gw is preparing for a release (similar as it was with Gloomspites, getting warbands, a herald etc.) which didn´t came at all. Also Warcry looks like a stepping stone into more Darkoath Related stuff. Yet GW decided to focus on OBR first. My guess is, that they noticed that the community is quite sensitive on the topic and that there is some dislike for the Darkoath Models (or at least a lack of fandom for them) so they pulled back the release and maybe are currently reworking stuff. Maybe the plan was all along to release them late, for whatever reason, and all thoose "hints" were to keep StD Players at least somehow happy.

In the End we will see in the future :) With The Quality we currently receive from GW there shouldn´t be much to be bothered beside the long wait

8 minutes ago, Charleston said:

In general AoS 2.0 introduced a more grimdark aproach to the setting. Stormcasts are more diverse, having also downsides like fanatical stormhosts slaughtering innocents. Yet the decision will be based on business relevant questions: Does a Protagonist Faction increase sales and popularity? With the current way, of GW releasing also Boxes with a neat discount parallel to the starter set we really do not have to complain about SCE being in the startersets so far.

Well, regarding to Slaves, I am quite sure this topic bothers some gw designers more than we belive actually. The fact that we´ve got a lot Darkoath-related stuff seemed like a hint that gw is preparing for a release (similar as it was with Gloomspites, getting warbands, a herald etc.) which didn´t came at all. Also Warcry looks like a stepping stone into more Darkoath Related stuff. Yet GW decided to focus on OBR first. My guess is, that they noticed that the community is quite sensitive on the topic and that there is some dislike for the Darkoath Models (or at least a lack of fandom for them) so they pulled back the release and maybe are currently reworking stuff. Maybe the plan was all along to release them late, for whatever reason, and all thoose "hints" were to keep StD Players at least somehow happy.

In the End we will see in the future :) With The Quality we currently receive from GW there shouldn´t be much to be bothered beside the long wait

The sales of current StD may also have something to do with it. Their box has been sitting in "Last Chance to Buy" since before I started Warhammer, so I don't think they project a lot of return on investment for them.

The darker approach is neccessary to narrate two Order armies fighting one another, and is an easy way to improve the writing from what it was in the beginning.

My beef for SCE in sets was more about the Underworld base sets, the first three base sets (which you need) had Stormcast in them, and so does "Start to Play".

I have eyed the Darkoath Warqueen a few times, I think the model looks really nice, but the army she needs to support simply isn't worth starting. I may cave at some point though.

The Slaves to Darkness Christmas boxed set has only been on sale since last Christmas. Also like most armies that don't have abattletome the main reason they are not selling well is because they don't have a battletome. New customers don't see any clear rules to use the army; whilst existing ones are cautious at investing into an army that could get some big fundamental changes to it with a new book.

This might include removing models; adding models and changing the role and points of models. No point building your super elite army of chaos warriors if GW then turns around and makes them dirt cheap in points; similarly no point in building an army of chaos chosen if GW then turns around and removes them.

It's the same reason non Plague Skaven weren't shifting well; same reason that many of the Order aelvesa and humans weren't selling etc....

Basically AoS is a big backwards because whilst its got all the models released it didn't have a game released for them (rules). It's more a case that someone had to go last and with GW focusing on Stormcast and Death fighting it out since the start of the 2nd edition; Chaos was taking a bit of a backseat compared to Death (which has now got two full new armies from the 2.0 release - Nighthaunt and Ossiarch)

Warcry is a clear sign that Chaos is fine in GW's view; why else would they make a whole game built around one faction element if they wren't confident. Slaves and Everchosen will pick up once a 2.0 battletome is released and GW gifts them some nice marketing. Darkoath I think has changed, I think originally they were going to appear and I'm surprised there wasn't a Darkoath Warcry warband (though Untamed Beasts look darn close to Darkoath save for the weapons)

• Like 1

I am going to point out that Warhammer Underworlds has moved from the Realm of Death to the Realm of Beasts. Maybe GW has future plans in sight and is going to start hinting at Destruction making moves to set up Gorkamork doing something.   

8 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

The sales of current StD may also have something to do with it. Their box has been sitting in "Last Chance to Buy" since before I started Warhammer, so I don't think they project a lot of return on investment for them.

The darker approach is neccessary to narrate two Order armies fighting one another, and is an easy way to improve the writing from what it was in the beginning.

My beef for SCE in sets was more about the Underworld base sets, the first three base sets (which you need) had Stormcast in them, and so does "Start to Play".

I have eyed the Darkoath Warqueen a few times, I think the model looks really nice, but the army she needs to support simply isn't worth starting. I may cave at some point though.

Well this is the self fulfilling prophecy. Of course a box set will have limited sales with such poor support from the company. Several in my gaming group were tempted because they like StD as a concept, even the models are decent but somewhat outdated, but the box was great value for an instant 1k army to enjoy, although everyone knew the rules are terrible and basically unplayable in any game with just a slight competetive flavor, so nobody bought them.

Then GW goes "oh these did not sell well, better not focus on that" which results in even less sales. I choose to believe this is so obvious, that GW does not do business like that. Looking at Seraphon and StD christmas boxes now, it feels like a way for them to clear out old stock more than anything, as these are the 2 top neglected AoS armies currently.

Right now its not really neglect its just the order of releases. Some armies were first and some were last; thus far GW hasn't double-released any faction in the 2.0 releases. Some armies were first and some were last; heck lets not forget Destruction started the year with 1 working Battletome and maintained that right up until just over a week from now where they get a second and then there's a potential third at the very end of the year. 

Seraphon, Tzeentch, Slaves and KO should be seeing new Tomes early into 2021. At GW's current speed then at worst end of April should see all of 2.0 with battletomes. This might come sooner if they duel release any and could come later if they throw out another surprise like Ossiarchs. Otherwise April to May should see AoS finally arrive at a fully functional 2.0 system! 

At least that's my guess based on 1 tome a month and GW's current release pace, and assuming no more trade hiccups.  And that's forgetting that October is going to have 3 battletomes (Orruks, Cities and Ossiarch) so clearly if GW wants to they can push them out fast (though granted in the grand scheme of things Orruks and Cities are apparent delays after sylavaneth)

Edited by Overread
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

Well this is the self fulfilling prophecy. Of course a box set will have limited sales with such poor support from the company. Several in my gaming group were tempted because they like StD as a concept, even the models are decent but somewhat outdated, but the box was great value for an instant 1k army to enjoy, although everyone knew the rules are terrible and basically unplayable in any game with just a slight competetive flavor, so nobody bought them.

Then GW goes "oh these did not sell well, better not focus on that" which results in even less sales. I choose to believe this is so obvious, that GW does not do business like that. Looking at Seraphon and StD christmas boxes now, it feels like a way for them to clear out old stock more than anything, as these are the 2 top neglected AoS armies currently.

It's the same they had with Fantasy, that had mostly been stagnant, and thus it did not sell well, so GW did not invest in it, etc.

But now, we do see that Ogors are going to get love, and these were not going so hot either. I don't know. I can suspect quite a lot, but I don't really know.

I would actually love it if Warcry and Underworlds were used as vessels for replacement models more.

• Make a Skaven group that consists of new versions of the metal models
  • Make a Lizardmen Underworld one that replaces finecast heroes and a few old troops, and repeat that with a Warcry warband
  • Hunter with Frost Sabres seem to get this treatment already
  • FEC gets something, but how it relates to the current products we do not know
  • Give Cities a warband that replaces roles we lost in the culling

Again this is something we are seeing the beginning of (in BCR), but to what extent we do not know.

• Thanks 1

A rumor I heard and posted on here early this year(or maybe late last year, it was a while ago either way) was that GW was making a concerted effort to replace square bases with round in 2019 and everything would be shipping on rounds by the end of the year. They did it with Skaven, basically redoing all the photos with round bases and shipping round alongside the old square bases, but the old goblin stuff didn't get the same treatment for the Gloomspite release, at least not as advertised on the website. They've updated a lot of the Cities of Sigmar stuff with round bases and also hit other random units like the Gorger, a couple Vampire Lords and bat swarms that I noticed on a quick scroll through the store(US). What I'm wondering about now is unadvertised packing of round bases. In the past 6ish months, I've only gotten 3 kits that still appear to be sold with square bases, Chimera(at the time), Tomb Banshee, and Scuttleboss on Giant Spider. The Chimera only came with its rectangle base(but maybe the warcry variant was already in the pipeline so they didn't bother with it?), the scuttleboss came with both round and square, and the Tomb Banshee came with not only a round base, but updated retail packaging. 

So has any one else bought any "square base only" models from GW recently with a surprise round base in the box? Have they finally fixed their base problem?

EDIT: I also got some Dragon Princes that only came with their rectangle bases, but I guess we know why they weren't updated

Edited by bsharitt
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

It is a very nice model indeed. I got her for a female Beastlord conversion project, because at one point I decided that it would be cool to have 4-5 different looking custom built Beastlords  (One typical goat made from a chaos chosen champion, one female one from the warqueen, one from a tzaangor and the last one another typical goat type but with different distinct look...), since the old metal one does not do it for me... instead turned him into BSB back in the WFB times. Maybe one day I might run a unit of 4-5 Beastlords, just for the lols ^__^

If you are also enjoying the hobby part, not just the gaming one, I would recommend getting one of these for yourself. Works great in vacuum but also offers great conversion material for some nice kitbashing :)

Edited by Myrdin
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Myrdin said:

It is a very nice model indeed. I got her for a female Beastlord conversion project, because at one point I decided that it would be cool to have 4-5 different looking custom built Beastlords  (One typical goat made from a chaos chosen champion, one female one from the warqueen, one from a tzaangor and the last one another typical goat type but with different distinct look...), since the old metal one does not do it for me... instead turned him into BSB back in the WFB times. Maybe one day I might run a unit of 4-5 Beastlords, just for the lols ^__^

If you are also enjoying the hobby part, not just the gaming one, I would recommend getting one of these for yourself. Works great in vacuum but also offers great conversion material for some nice kitbashing :)

Thanks! I'll add het to my shortlist. I am mostly interested in building, though still paralysed by the uncertainty not knowing what COS brings gives me.

I mainly want to build and paint, but then when I actually need to choose stuff and I don't know what the warscrolls will give me, I can't choose.

16 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

A rumor I heard and posted on here early this year(or maybe late last year, it was a while ago either way) was that GW was making a concerted effort to replace square bases with round in 2019 and everything would be shipping on rounds by the end of the year. They did it with Skaven, basically redoing all the photos with round bases and shipping round alongside the old square bases, but the old goblin stuff didn't get the same treatment for the Gloomspite release, at least not as advertised on the website. They've updated a lot of the Cities of Sigmar stuff with round bases and also hit other random units like the Gorger, a couple Vampire Lords and bat swarms that I noticed on a quick scroll through the store(US). What I'm wondering about now is unadvertised packing of round bases. In the past 6ish months, I've only gotten 3 kits that still appear to be sold with square bases, Chimera(at the time), Tomb Banshee, and Scuttleboss on Giant Spider. The Chimera only came with its rectangle base(but maybe the warcry variant was already in the pipeline so they didn't bother with it?), the scuttleboss came with both round and square, and the Tomb Banshee came with not only a round base, but updated retail packaging. 

So has any one else bought any "square base only" models from GW recently with a surprise round base in the box? Have they finally fixed their base problem?

EDIT: I also got some Dragon Princes that only came with their rectangle bases, but I guess we know why they weren't updated

Totally agree, their website isn't super clear about bases and new AoS-branded boxes. For example the Bestigors are shown on the website as square bases but someone told me their order came with both bases, and I'm not sure if they're in the original WFHB box or a new AoS-branded box. And then with CoS some of the units have gotten new pics with round bases but not all of them, but I'm sure they'll all at least have round bases thrown in. 

56 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

I received rounds and squares in

• Pistoleers
  • Demigryphs
  • Greatswords
  • General on Griffin
  • Chaos Familiars

The last one no longer even has a warscroll.

4 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

I received rounds and squares in

• Pistoleers
  • Demigryphs
  • Greatswords
  • General on Griffin
  • Chaos Familiars

The last one no longer even has a warscroll.

Nice, sounds like GW might actually be sending out round bases for everything. Though I think the Chaos Familiars have been on round bases since early AoS.

2 minutes ago, smartazjb0y said:

Do they just ship them in WHFB-branded boxes and like open them up and throw in some round bases in the box? 

EDIT: Oops responded too fast @bsharitt haha, thanks for the response 

It's probably worth noting that one of my more recent purchases that didn't have the round bases(the Dragon Princes) were still in the old WHFB box. Everything that's had a round base or come with both has been either in new retail packaging or in the plain white boxes/clamshells.

1 hour ago, bsharitt said:

Mixed bag.

My last purchase was made with a selection of models that were discontinued.

Archmage and Dragon Blades are in WHFB with squares

Dragon Noble and White Lion charriot came in white boxes with round bases.

2 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

It's probably worth noting that one of my more recent purchases that didn't have the round bases(the Dragon Princes) were still in the old WHFB box. Everything that's had a round base or come with both has been either in new retail packaging or in the plain white boxes/clamshells.

Kind of a shame they do white boxes haha, for whatever reason I like getting branded boxes. Obviously I'd prefer AoS boxes, but honestly WFHB boxes might be preferable to plain white boxes (though I guess the AoS boxes are largely plain white) 

7 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

Mixed bag.

My last purchase was made with a selection of models that were discontinued.

Archmage and Dragon Blades are in WHFB with squares

Dragon Noble and White Lion charriot came in white boxes with round bases.

Makes sense I guess. Stuff in WHFB boxes is old stock so they're probably not reopening boxes to add bases, just adding them in for more recent packaging. Either way it's a good move. Shame it took them so long. Once AoS 2.0 hit with measurement from bases being in the rules and bases sizes that while suggested, were obviously the way it was meant to be done, GW's practice of shipping only squares was pretty indefensible and a slimy way to squeeze a few more bucks out of their players.