The Rumour Thread

6 minutes ago, Overread said:

Based on your track record I think it best that you tell us what army you're collecting now.

And darn that is some terribly rough luck too! :(

Second this, please tell us your AoS army 😂 

Rumours wise as we are approaching the end of battletome 2.0 sequence do you guys think/heard in 2020 we can expect something similar to the psychic awakening with maybe few new models for each army? Or how many new armies we can expect in 2020? So far the record has been once per year if I’m not wrong with Idoneth last year, Kharadron the year before and I guess Fyreslayers and Stormcast the first year. Do you think we will have more? Or revisited existing sub-factions instead?

So far we have many Aelves related rumours from the most recent Kurnothi to light and dark Aelves. I doubt they would all come the same year. That leaves space for something new maybe in the Gruttbag Scuttlers?

Right now my thoughts are:

1) Underworld Warbands - my gut feeling is that GW is using these more to allow them to display niche factions rather than test-drive big faction concepts. Darkoath, Kurnothi etc... are not likely to get full armies of their own. Now they might do what they did with Darkoath and a few models or even an infantry or cavalry unit might appear within another army. So Sylvaneth might get a cavalry option of Kurnothi centaurs in time; but I wouldn't expect to see them fleshed out as a whole army.

2) GW has teased the two Aelf armies (dark and light) for a long while in the lore. Dark Aelves are even set to be the main population of the Realm of Shadow which I think sets them quite strongly as an army that "should" come around. Light Aelves could still get wrapped into antoher force (rarer now as when I made that prediction I thought GW would unit the Aelves into a single force; rarer now as they are allied to Dwarves and Humans which makes for quite a full faction in itself). They've even got some concept art of the Dark aelves kicking around in the books - so I think they are set to come. When is a big question and GW has already surprised us with the Ossiarch Bonereapers. 

3) I think that we should see GW settle down and indeed copycat the idea from 40K into AoS - that of having campaigns tied to model releases. The big question will be if GW adopts this for AoS or not as there's quite a lotof factions in need of big and modest updates. From armies like Skaven or Ogres where there's a lot of old metal and finecast in need of updating; through to armies like Fyreslayers and Flesheaters where the model range is very small and they clearly would benefit from some diversity and new models. Balance wise GW has made those small armies work in the game (heck FEC were broken powerful); however visually and model wise they are more bland. Some more models introduces new tactics, new ways to run them and more product for customers to buy (heck financially FEC are the cheapest AOS army in terms of the fact that you can buy pretty much everything in start collecting boxed sets). 

As a result I think we'll get both, like 40K has. Some armies will get big revamps of models; others will get a trickle feed of smaller updates. 

4) Hopefully we won't see any more mass removals of models once AoS 2.0 is established (we still have Ogres and Slaves to Darkness to go, both of which could lose models. I don't expect KO, Seraphon nor Tzeentch to lose models). If we do (eg in teh case of Skaven) then hopefully they come with mass releases. Updating old sculpts and releasing new ideas. Skaven are also worth a mention in that, in theory, they did have a lot of revamped models designed, just put onto a very poor sprue system that was paired with a highelf update that made it hard to split the content for both games. A poor business choice that I think GW learned hard from and since then we've seen them be smarter in splitting up duel box sprue into their own sprues not combined. 

5) Warcry should get 2 more warbands and another wave of cards to add the rest of the AoS armies into it. The next big thing will be seeing how GW continues to approach it. They could even use it to add new units to other armies and seeing how they tackle the warbands in Slaves to Darkness will be very interesting to see how it pans out. 

6) Looking further ahead next year is possibly the release for Warhammer Total War 3. Now that game could slip over into 2021 and will also have a period of content adding and support for at least a year or so after. However it would give high hopes that CA might approach GW and secure the licence for AoS. Thus letting them take the groundwork into the modern model gaming age. A good pairing for CA and GW. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Tenshi said:

I started with HeroQuest, I always wated some Fimir for Warhammer. As an army, or as orc bosses.
Then I got into wargaming with 40K 2.Ed and I choose to play Squats.
In Fantasy, my first army were Bretonians. I was always buying single blisters from many armies, so when they released Dogs of War it was the perfect army for my. And I went big into it.
And when I came back to Fantasy, I went with Tomb Kings. And we got the End Times in a few months...

I don't know what I did, but GW is clearly after me. 😂

Dude..... I am not sure if laughing or crying reading this :D Id` laugh because laughter is better I suppose but darn thats some bad luck.

Personally I miss TK a LOT. Such a nice range of miniatures with distinct cool look. Unlike these Bonereaper.... Skeletors or wtf is their name. Only one out of those I really like are the "General Kenoby" meme ones (4armed).  Meanwhile with TK most of those units were cool. 

Such a shame for that faction to bite the bullet. 

Edited by Myrdin
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Overread said:

Based on your track record I think it best that you tell us what army you're collecting now.

And darn that is some terribly rough luck too! :(

18 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

Rumours wise as we are approaching the end of battletome 2.0 sequence do you guys think/heard in 2020 we can expect something similar to the psychic awakening with maybe few new models for each army? Or how many new armies we can expect in 2020? So far the record has been once per year if I’m not wrong with Idoneth last year, Kharadron the year before and I guess Fyreslayers and Stormcast the first year. Do you think we will have more? Or revisited existing sub-factions instead?

So far we have many Aelves related rumours from the most recent Kurnothi to light and dark Aelves. I doubt they would all come the same year. That leaves space for something new maybe in the Gruttbag Scuttlers?

This time I've gone for the save army and I have some Stormcast Eternals just in case. 😂
I also have Nighthaunt, Skaven and Gloomspite....

So all 4 Grand Alliances are screwed?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tenshi said:

This time I've gone for the save army and I have some Stormcast Eternals just in case. 😂

Oh GODS! You've either turned your luck around or cursed the whole game! 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

Speculation ahead:

• If they are going to do something with the Kurnothi, it will be this season, they are on the cover of Beastgrave now.
  • I expect that, when everything is 2.0, some additions to the lowest box count new armies will be made. I want to think older armies receive some love, but I don't expect it. I expect new sets for Fyreslayers, Kharadron Overlords, Sylvaneth, Idoneth, Ironjawz and maybe FEC. My expectation would be one box per army, but maybe a box (making two warscrolls) and a hero. This could be a Warcry tie-in.
  • Making plastic variants from existing metal, resin or finecast models makes financial sense, if these units are to be retained.
  • They might sooner add a new faction than add units to existing armies that have a functional roster (counterpoint would be the Kurnothi). A new army will sell more models than additions, but it is also a bigger investment.
  • I expect the Marauders to be squatted before they get a tome. Seraphon may get trimmed as well.
  • A new logical addition could be in general purpose terrain, but I'm not sure. It may sell less boxes than faction terrain, but if it's cheaper points-wise, you could gamble that your army has more use for it than the other one.
  • The AoS Roleplaying game will probably be launched with all archetypes as blisters, and maybe with some adversaries in mixed boxes (which could be shared with Underworld or Warcry).

For 3.0 (which I expect in about three years, maybe two)

• CoS will get trimmed further, with GW maybe replacing a few molds with new ones. Another option would be a condensed Cities with about half units. Third option is everything goes away. 
  • Seraphon is dated throughout the line, and a tie to the old world. They may get removed.
  • Order will keep having about double the roster of the others
  • Either Chaos or Destruction will be the primary opponent. I hope the latter (to give that a turn) but expect the former
Edited by zilberfrid

5 minutes ago, Overread said:

3) I think that we should see GW settle down and indeed copycat the idea from 40K into AoS - that of having campaigns tied to model releases. The big question will be if GW adopts this for AoS or not as there's quite a lotof factions in need of big and modest updates. From armies like Skaven or Ogres where there's a lot of old metal and finecast in need of updating; through to armies like Fyreslayers and Flesheaters where the model range is very small and they clearly would benefit from some diversity and new models. Balance wise GW has made those small armies work in the game (heck FEC were broken powerful); however visually and model wise they are more bland. Some more models introduces new tactics, new ways to run them and more product for customers to buy (heck financially FEC are the cheapest AOS army in terms of the fact that you can buy pretty much everything in start collecting boxed sets). 

Like Malign Portents you mean? ;)

In any case, we have the remaining of the 2.0 books coming out, so there is that. 

Light/Shadow Aelves have popped up a long time in the books, and are likely (but not guaranteed!) to show up at some point in the future. Skygrots were a rumour at some point, but I haven't heard much of them recently.  (though their name has been dropped before and is specific under the aos naming scheme, Grotbag Scuttlers, so who knows)

For existing factions I would expect new characters, if that. More likely for existing factions to stay where they are and instead new factions or campaign allegiances that shift what you can take and hand you different benefits. (LoG and the order one from Forbidden Power for example.)

Slaves/Darkoaths will be.... interesting. Could be a combined tome, could be a new tome based on the warcry blokes, hard to pin down what that could be. Assuming we ever see any tome of them though. The only thing I heard about them is wishlisting. 

Skyrgots has always seemed to be a bit like skyskaven - ergo neat ideas that are more thrown out there to encourage someone to go buy a load of two armies and build their own conversions based on the KO models (esp since a lot of those sky factions are described as having gained their skyships by stealing and modifying KO ones). 

They might also be the sort of things that could be fleshed out if GW ever does a warmaster scale game for AoS or a Man-O-War style game. Ergo games where big skyships and dragons and leviathans and such work within the game well. 

6 minutes ago, Overread said:

Skyrgots has always seemed to be a bit like skyskaven - ergo neat ideas that are more thrown out there to encourage someone to go buy a load of two armies and build their own conversions based on the KO models (esp since a lot of those sky factions are described as having gained their skyships by stealing and modifying KO ones). 

They might also be the sort of things that could be fleshed out if GW ever does a warmaster scale game for AoS or a Man-O-War style game. Ergo games where big skyships and dragons and leviathans and such work within the game well. 

Yeah, I don't really believe in the skygrots, but they've had more rumours than a Slaves to Darkness book, so I felt I had to mention them :P

Aeronautics of Sigmar is something I can see existing, with skygrots and Ko and shiprats.

22 minutes ago, Tenshi said:

Nighthaunt already got a taste of ethereal not counting that much, but now it’s official Skaven are the first 2.0 army to not make it for 3.0 😂😂😂 jokes aside I guess you are fine with that selection 

8 minutes ago, Overread said:

That would be the goblobber and doomdiver catapults :)

41 minutes ago, Overread said:

Yes and no.

The Skaven and the Moonclan specifically were called out as stealing KO airships - it is these that best for your assertion as being GW giving their player base a few conversion ideas to have fun with.

The Grotbag Scuttlers, on the other hand, are described as crafting their own "scrap ships" that they fly around in.  They are apparently not KO tech.  It's POSSIBLE that these are geared towards mad converters/sculptors who want to build their own ships from scratch, but it's far more likely (though of course, not certain) that these will be realized as actual models from GW someday

Edited by mikethefish

44 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Speculation ahead:

For 3.0 (which I expect in about three years, maybe two)

• CoS will get trimmed further, with GW maybe replacing a few molds with new ones. Another option would be a condensed Cities with about half units. Third option is everything goes away. 
  • Seraphon is dated throughout the line, and a tie to the old world. They may get removed.
  • Order will keep having about double the roster of the others
  • Either Chaos or Destruction will be the primary opponent. I hope the latter (to give that a turn) but expect the former

I am really not sure about a squatting of Seraphon, as I feel that there is far more love for them that there is for the late Bretonians and Tomb kings. And when you see the sculpts they did with a recent kickstarter that is a complete rip-off of GW line, I strongly believe that GW could do an amazing overall of the faction. with great success.

As for 3.0 speculations, my feeling was (still is?) that they would go Destruction as the main antagonist, and monsters heavy after the endless spells with lots of roaming beasts on the battlefield. My hopes are up again since the announcement of Beastgrave and the Warcry first expansion. We'll see...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pseudonyme said:

I am really not sure about a squatting of Seraphon, as I feel that there is far more love for them that there is for the late Bretonians and Tomb kings. And when you see the sculpts they did with a recent kickstarter that is a complete rip-off of GW line, I strongly believe that GW could do an amazing overall of the faction. with great success.

As for 3.0 speculations, my feeling was (still is?) that they would go Destruction as the main antagonist, and monsters heavy after the endless spells with lots of roaming beasts on the battlefield. My hopes are up again since the announcement of Beastgrave and the Warcry first expansion. We'll see...

Oh, I hope Seraphon will get updated, but it will be an investment because pretty much the whole line needs doing. Having a kickstarter making better models than GW, is sadly speaking against it. Seraphon will have better competition, at probably better prices, so they won't sell as well. Things that do not sell well do not get much love from GW, even though they often hold the cards as to why they may not sell well.

I really hope Destruction will become the 3.0 bad guys. They haven't been much in focus in 1 and 2.

• Sad 1

" A Tie to the Old World" You mean like more than half the AoS range? Cites, Skaven, Seraphon, Daughters of Khaine, Flesh Eaters, Most of the Legion of Nagash, Sylvaneth, Ogres, Orruks, the core central themes of much of Gloomspite Gitz, Almost the ENTIRE Chaos Grand Alliance? 

I mean I can't see GW getting rid of the vast majority of the game. Now if we're talking about replacing old Seraphon sculpts with new updated ones I'm right here with you; but nope I can't see them squatting Seraphon nor indeed any major factions once they are into 2.0. To do so would be daft now since they'd seriously throw a LOT of confidence in AoS as a model line into question. 

• Like 3

Seraphon by all accounts are a popular faction that sells well and shows up a lot at tournaments, despite their dated unit line and ancient armybook. There's no reason for GW to get rid of them. Their battleforce box last year also sold out almost instantly, as I recall.

Plus honestly, the model range isn't that bad. There's a lot of finecast and old cruft, but also a good number of modern plastic kits. The big impressive kits are all solid, Stegadons, Bastilladons, Carnasaurs, and the Flyers are their most modern kits, along with the Skink Starpriest.

The things that need updated are primarily the characters (Slaan, Kroak, Astrolith, Skink Priest, Sunblood, Starseer, and Eternity Warden are all finecast) and the extremely dated Saurus unit range. The Kroxigors and Salamanders/Razardons are also still finecast and could use new sculpts.

I think the problem with Seraphon is just GW struggling to know what direction to take them in combined with the model range being all over the place and not easy to update.

All that said I fully expect we'll get their updated armybook early to mid next year.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, alghero81 said:

To each one his own opinion, ward saves are a chance game and I played matches were I missed all of them. Ethereal instead is an ability is always there and they are denying it. And as I said I understand it’s circumstantial and it may not be used many times, still I don’t understand why phrasing it that way. Not that anyone would build an anti-Nighthaunt army on purpose as there’s no benefit. 

Interesting point about them believing they are stronger than magic and death, let’s see what’s the lore explanation for them to cut ghosts like butter, it may make perfect sense and may end up the poorest of all subfactions. 

Well, bonesplitterz are sold as THE monster killer army and the biggest and meanest hero monsters out there (read VLoZD or Frostlord on stonehorn) can be ethereal with an amulet, so I think it is really fitting for them to be able to bypass ethereal.