The Rumour Thread

34 minutes ago, Mutton said:

We gonna talk about how one of the Bonesplittaz sub-factions straight up ignores ethereal and ward saves? That's nuts. All of these orruk rules look fun and awesome.

I’m curious to see the reason for them being able to smash ethereals and a bit upset because I don’t think Nighthaunt of all needed to be countered. Sure it’s one subfaction out of of how many out of at least 2 grand allegiances Bonesplitterz can choose from but still creates a precedent with no reason 

But in general this tome looks like gives a lot of new tactics to Orruks, movement faster than Slaanesh now! They will hit hard every army with low defence and potentially reduce the gap with shooting armies a lot...

Edited by alghero81
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, svnvaldez said:

Proxy/count as the boyz as Ardboyz. That way we can all be playing the same game.

I have thought of that, but that would make only his standard Orruks and boarboys usable and then he would need to spend money for the other models on the Ironjaws/Bonesplitterz range as these two units alone would not be enough for an army.

His "Orruk Warboss on War Boar" and "Orruk Warboss on Wyvern” and Orruk chariots  would be unusable as they have no counterparts with similar roles or size/base size in the Ironjaw/Bonesplitterz range either.

He doesn't play at tournaments or FLGs anyway so noone will be affected by the houserule involuntarily xD

Edited by Infernalslayer
  • Like 1

Strength of Purpose

The Ethereal ability has no effect on attacks made by a DRAKKFOOT unit. In addition, any ability that negates wounds has no effect on wounds inflicted by a DRAKKFOOT unit.

This means that against Morathi, her only taking 3 wounds per turn ability doesn't work, right?

1 minute ago, Infernalslayer said:

I have thought of that, but that would make only his standard Orruks and boarboys usable and then he would need to spend money for the other models on the Ironjaws/Bonesplitterz range as these two units alone would not be enough for an army.

His "Orruk Warboss on War Boar" and "Orruk Warboss on Wyvern" would be unusable as they have no counterparts with similar roles or size/base size in the Ironjaw/Bonesplitterz range either.

He doesn't play at tournaments or FLGs anyway so noone will be affected by the houserule involuntarily xD

If you’re playing at home, download the warhammer legends document. It has all the old Wars rolls for retired units, including AOS stats for old world heroes.  If you’re playing fun games with friends, then you should be all set. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, trolemon said:

Strength of Purpose

The Ethereal ability has no effect on attacks made by a DRAKKFOOT unit. In addition, any ability that negates wounds has no effect on wounds inflicted by a DRAKKFOOT unit.

This means that against Morathi, her only taking 3 wounds per turn ability doesn't work, right?

This rule is about "Feel no pain" abilities, like the Bonesplitterz 6+ against wounds and mortals. Morathi just doesnt take any wounds past 3. 

1 minute ago, Gecktron said:

This rule is about "Feel no pain" abilities, like the Bonesplitterz 6+ against wounds and mortals. Morathi just doesnt take any wounds past 3. 

Morathi's warscroll states that any additional wounds or mortal wounds allocated are negated, which is what Drakkfoot ignores so I expect we'll see an errata or FAQ on this

14 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

I’m curious to see the reason for them being able to smash ethereals and a bit upset because I don’t think Nighthaunt of all needed to be countered. Sure it’s one subfaction out of of how many out of at least 2 grand allegiances Bonesplitterz can choose from but still creates a precedent with no reason 

But in general this tome looks like gives a lot of new tactics to Orruks, movement faster than Slaanesh now! They will hit hard every army with low defence and potentially reduce the gap with shooting armies a lot...

I think it counters almost every army. DoK, Nurgle, Fyreslayers, Skaven Verminlords, all Death armies, and any heroes carrying warding artifacts. They're gonna be scary whether you play ghostie boys or not.

10 minutes ago, trolemon said:

Strength of Purpose

The ability reads: "...no more than 3 wounds can be allocated to her in any one turn. Any additional wounds and/or mortal wounds allocated to her in the same turn are negated and have no effect." So does the first sentence overwrite the second? Even if wounds are not technically negated, can they still be allocated to her?  It would honestly kind of suck if it bypassed her ability. It means if you ever took Morathi against these guys, it'd pretty much be an auto-loss.

Edited by Mutton
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Zanzou said:

yeah... Can anyone explain why these guys need to specifically dump on Nighthaunt?  I know the negating wounds thing counters  a wide variety, but ethereal is nighthaunt's one and only strength... This makes no sense to me.

Unless there are serious warscroll changes, Boneplitterz don't have much rend in their repertoire anyway. If we see that they continue to lack rend on most of their units, it may not be that much of a hit to ethereal. I'd still say this has a bigger impact against armies with massive shrug bonuses like Hagg Narr, Hearthguard Berzerkers, Verminlords, etc.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mutton said:

Unless there are serious warscroll changes, Boneplitterz don't have much rend in their repertoire anyway. If we see that they continue to lack rend on most of their units, it may not be that much of a hit to ethereal. I'd still say this has a bigger impact against armies with massive shrug bonuses like Hagg Narr, Hearthguard Berzerkers, Verminlords, etc.

At the moment  the only bonesplitterz units with rend are the Big Stabbas, the Wurrgog Prophet, and the Savage Big Boss

I don’t mind negating the ward save, on Nighthaunt is on a 6, sure on DoK is much worse as they can stack wards, but whatever is random chance.

But ethereal means that I can’t improve my save rolls but still pay the rend. Is basically saying to a KO player if you shoot me you are going to blow up. Nighthaunt are one wound and defence 4. If you add rend and remove the ward you cut them in pieces like a hot knife on fresh butter...

Just to reiterate I know is really circumstantial and I never played agains Bonesplitterz before, but don’t understand why they introduced this rule that seems to penalise incredibly the only army was never at the top of the meta...

Edited by alghero81
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

I don’t mind negating the ward save, on Nighthaunt is on a 6, sure on DoK is much worse as they can stack wards, but whatever is random chance.

But ethereal means that I can’t improve my save rolls but still pay the rend. Is basically saying to a KO player if you shoot me you are going to blow up. Nighthaunt are one wound and defence 4. If you add rend and remove the ward you cut them in pieces like a hot knife on fresh butter...

Just to reiterate I know is really circumstantial and I never played agains Bonesplitterz before, but don’t understand why they introduced this rule that seems to penalise incredibly the only army was never at the top of the meta...

I doubt it was DESIGNED as a nerf of counter. More they had an idea of Bonesplittas that through their crazy belief ignores magic and supernatural protection. They figured Nighthaunt fit the bill. Doubt it was malicious. 

Also, this is a subfaction and requires pure Bonesplittas, which means giving up The Big Waaagh! Points and such, which look amazing.

To each one his own opinion, ward saves are a chance game and I played matches were I missed all of them. Ethereal instead is an ability is always there and they are denying it. And as I said I understand it’s circumstantial and it may not be used many times, still I don’t understand why phrasing it that way. Not that anyone would build an anti-Nighthaunt army on purpose as there’s no benefit. 

Interesting point about them believing they are stronger than magic and death, let’s see what’s the lore explanation for them to cut ghosts like butter, it may make perfect sense and may end up the poorest of all subfactions. 

3 hours ago, WarbossKurgan said:

I disagree that it would be a good thing to fully flesh out any Realm. There is too much to be gained by having anything possible in the vast "unmapped" spaces that we can fill ourselves without fear of "official" contradiction. It also leaves the official background space to add anything later. The world-that-was became stale because it was too fixed and prescriptive.

Each Realm is a bigger surface than the world-that-was (and the world-that-was was bigger than Earth). The Realms are not planets - they hang within "Realm Spheres" but they are more like flat "diskworlds" than planets. They have said each Realm is as-near-as-makes-no-difference to infinite, so there won't ever be maps of a whole Realm.

Ok, but what's the point of having a setting if I can't tell where everything is? The Realms being so unmapped leads to a confusion on relations between places. How far is Hammerhall from some other place? Doesn't matter guys, just play the game. Don't think about trade or logistics. Who cares about territory? Just make it all up. Order lost this fortress? I'm not really sure how that relates to other areas in the realm so I guess it's a bad thing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ironbreaker said:

Ok, but what's the point of having a setting if I can't tell where everything is? The Realms being so unmapped leads to a confusion on relations between places. How far is Hammerhall from some other place? Doesn't matter guys, just play the game. Don't think about trade or logistics. Who cares about territory? Just make it all up. Order lost this fortress? I'm not really sure how that relates to other areas in the realm so I guess it's a bad thing.

I totally get where you are coming from but it isn't as bad as it looks!

Really, this is the wrong thread to have this discussion, but you're forgetting that Realmgates allow instantaneous travel between gates, that are scattered throughout the Realms (some are linked to other Realms, some to another place in the same Realm, some are "open ended" so they can link to several other gates).  The distance between places matters less than access to a Realmgate. The Free Cities have been built around defending important Realmgates. Trade and logistics are considered in the novels.

My campaigns are mostly fought in The Harrowmark, in the Realm of Death. To the players in my group this is a well known region and they know it as well, or maybe better, than many regions of the world-that-was. If you feel the need to get to know an area better you can make (or re-use!) maps and write details about it, in the same way as you can detail a subsector in the 40k galaxy. It will be totally yours then, and no official background can contradict it! Or you can pick an established region that already has maps and background and add more detail of your own choosing.

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 2

23 minutes ago, Ironbreaker said:

I dunno that seems a bit extreme to me: why bother having a setting if there's no nitty-gritty like trade or logistics? I'm all for knowing more and more stuff, but I certainly don't think we need to know EVERYTHING in order to have a valid setting 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Forrix said:

I've tried reading some of them but yeah, I just could not get into them. Basically, if you're not into Stormcast they're a don't bother. Also, BL novels got jacked up in price outside of the omnibuses some years ago so I generally don't get them anyways.

I did eventually read Soul Wars and City of Secrets but I'd really only consider them okay as far as novels go. They were fun to read and helped build the world more even with Soul Wars still having a strong Stormcast focus (I read it for the Nighthaunt really). I feel like GW trying to engineer a space marine phenomenon with the Stormcast has hurt AoS as they were hyper focused on creating supermen when AoS launched..

As happy as I am for Cities of Sigmar it irks me that they are sticking Stormcast in there instead of just having them be allies. It feels like if they put Space Marines in the Imperial Guard codex. I understand GW loves Stormcast more than God loves humanity and I applaud their self-restraint in not releasing a new Stormcast Chamber in over a year but still, GW could have chilled a bit more and let a human be on the cover without a Stormcast looking over his shoulder.

(I think my prev post didn't post for some reason)

As far as my opinion goes, the AoS fiction is just getting better every time - almost every release is an improvement and the new stuff is way better than the old stuff.

My current favourite are the Red Feast by Gav Thorpe and Hamilcar: Champion of the Gods by David Guymer. But all the new stuff is fun. They've really built up an excellent world. Personally I can see how in a few years time the Mortal Realms will be even better than the old world. 

Already places like Excelsis, Shadespire and Hammerhal have loads of stuff going on. 

But I accept as a possible criticism that you need to read the fiction books to get to the good stuff - although the latest core rule book has loads of inspirational stuff too. 

• Like 5