The Rumour Thread

2 hours ago, Realmhead said:

Looks like it could be a Kroxigor's walloper

1 hour ago, zilberfrid said:

That could well be. I would love to be proven wrong like this.

Unfortunately for seraphon, if GW facebook's wording matters at all, it is destruction😅

image.png.5c40a98fa022ba0e7abd3d85ee86fe24.png

Edited by Zanzou

1 hour ago, Overread said:

Campaign stories on their own are not a bad idea; I think the core issue was that they were campaigns released at time when many wanted stories and grounding in the Mortal Realms. Furthermore they were VERY Stormcast heavy, so anyone that wasn't rocking up with Stormcast likely felt left out a bit. Even when other races did jump in they had stormcast allies saving them/helping them. 

Hopefully if GW does a campaign system in teh future the army spread will be far more diverse 

The battleplans were usable by any army, so although the stories were stormcast heavy they were the protagonist of the realmgate wars, and the way the mortal realms/races were being introduced.

IMO, I'm not interested in a grounded mortal realms,  crazy over the top stories are what I was interested in.

1 hour ago, madmac said:

Rumor Engine is a tough one, there isn't any existing model I can think of with a mace like that.

It looks like a very hefty mace though, and battleworn, so I'm guessing Ogors.

The mace head is eight-sided, which is a chaos cue, but the shaft is a bit ornate. Perhaps the other end of the gemmed staff previously shown. Delicate on one end end, brutal on the other. Slaanesh mortal? Warcry?

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 1

Flagellants or Dragon Ogors are what came to my mind seeing that weapon.

Dont see a new release for DO, but the Shaggoth is an ancient ultra sh*tty model, so maybe a new actually nice looking Dragon Ogre Shaggoth ?

....We all know its not gonna be that, but just sharing the general feel I got from seeing that thing.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Zanzou said:

Unfortunately for seraphon, if GW facebook's wording matters at all, it is destruction😅

image.png.5c40a98fa022ba0e7abd3d85ee86fe24.png

Well if “Kunnin” is a clue, and not a joke, I’m stumped. The head is rather nice and the handle manufactured. All the orc and ogor weapons I can think of have cloth wrapped sticks for handles. With the orruk war clans battletome previewed this week, I’d love it to be a big smasha on a new Orruk hero, but the aesthetic isn’t right. With the tassels, what about a new free city hero?

What about sisters of battle? They are releasing later this year, correct

About the realms topic... It would be great if they became fleshed out like the old world. I am just afraid the realms may lack history? How old are they by now?

Also wondering how big these realms really are. Is it like a whole world contained in itself? It would be cool if these things became fully shaped planets over time.

4 minutes ago, Kugane said:

About the realms topic... It would be great if they became fleshed out like the old world. I am just afraid the realms may lack history? How old are they by now?

Also wondering how big these realms really are. Is it like a whole world contained in itself? It would be cool if these things became fully shaped planets over time.

I disagree that it would be a good thing to fully flesh out any Realm. There is too much to be gained by having anything possible in the vast "unmapped" spaces that we can fill ourselves without fear of "official" contradiction. It also leaves the official background space to add anything later. The world-that-was became stale because it was too fixed and prescriptive.

Each Realm is a bigger surface than the world-that-was (and the world-that-was was bigger than Earth). The Realms are not planets - they hang within "Realm Spheres" but they are more like flat "diskworlds" than planets. They have said each Realm is as-near-as-makes-no-difference to infinite, so there won't ever be maps of a whole Realm.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I think its a good thing if they flesh out the CORE regions of each Realm. That is those regions where the most major cities and battles take place. Where the focus of the official lore of the game is centred around. Key realmgates, major landmarks, cities, territories, kingdoms, boarders etc... Ergo allow the reader and lore fan the ability to see how the worlds fit together. This also improves the lore because now if a major City of Sigmar is conquered in a campaign event or major story it becomes something important, both in time and place. Rather like how in the Old World if Nuln fell to Chaos you'd know it was a MAJOR event in the narrative.

At present the lack of firm geographic and temporal elements makes it hard to latch onto the lore and place characters relative to each other and to the world. It also makes it hard to get absorbed in a campaign pack or novel about a major war becauase you've really no idea if the area they are fighting over is "really" important or just a random chunk of realmspace that doesn't really matter.

Then you can leave the boundaries and boarders for players to make their own imaginations and populate with their own stories and such. That gives everyone what they are after -there's the centralised organised core that forms the foundation upon which the lore can be built; and there's the insane utter freedom of the Realms all at once.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WarbossKurgan said:

I disagree that it would be a good thing to fully flesh out any Realm. There is too much to be gained by having anything possible in the vast "unmapped" spaces that we can fill ourselves without fear of "official" contradiction. It also leaves the official background space to add anything later. The world-that-was became stale because it was too fixed and prescriptive.

Each Realm is a bigger surface than the world-that-was (and the world-that-was was bigger than Earth). The Realms are not planets - they hang within "Realm Spheres" but they are more like flat "diskworlds" than planets. They have said each Realm is as-near-as-makes-no-difference to infinite, so there won't ever be maps of a whole Realm.

Thank you for the info! I had no idea each realm was so huge. That really changes my perspective on them.

• Like 1

Realms do have edge, one of the early stories recounts a person walking to the edge of a realm. I think the key is that originally realms were "nearly" infinite; but since then they've reduced in size somewhat and now most are of a fixed size, but with boundaries at the far end which are a sea of turmoil of new land being formed and lost. 

It's mostly a case of GW shifting from a game and lore that was essentially just to push creative new models every time they released stuff; into one with formal armies, races, factions and forces that will last a long time. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Overread said:

Realms do have edge, one of the early stories recounts a person walking to the edge of a realm. I think the key is that originally realms were "nearly" infinite; but since then they've reduced in size somewhat and now most are of a fixed size, but with boundaries at the far end which are a sea of turmoil of new land being formed and lost. 

It's mostly a case of GW shifting from a game and lore that was essentially just to push creative new models every time they released stuff; into one with formal armies, races, factions and forces that will last a long time. 

I see. Thank you for the info. That is really interresting. I like your idea of mapping out cities and landmarks. Since these realms are so huge they could let history and lore be self-contained in these cities. However thats pretty much wishlisting I suppose. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kugane said:

I see. Thank you for the info. That is really interresting. I like your idea of mapping out cities and landmarks. Since these realms are so huge they could let history and lore be self-contained in these cities. However thats pretty much wishlisting I suppose. 

And I think that's what GW and Cubicle 7 are going to do because RPG will focus on Great Parch (that place with Hammerhal, where Realmgate Wars started). There will be some maps for other realms but Aqshy and Great Parch are the focus now. 

• Like 2

Yeah this discussion about the realms feels weird and strangely out of touch when the main rulebook literally does have "named places", "cities and landmarks", "firm geographic and temporal elements" (i.e. maps, histories and timelines) for areas the size of the old world or larger - the Great Parch in Aqshy, the Prime Innerlands in Shyish, the Everspring Swathe in Ghyran, and the Spiral Crux of Chamon - as well as large scale "metaphysical or vague kind of maps" showing the relations between the realms. It's right there, pages and pages of it.

It's not terribly deep, frankly, but there's an almost ostentatious effort spent on outlining different regions' exports or characters or rivalries off the battlefield. GW is very clearly trying for a kind of halfway house, where they have large-ish areas with geographical and temporal detail but then also larger undefined areas for players' own background, to avoid any kind of 'small world' syndrome like WHFB occasionally had. In that, it's close to the 40k model, where you might have every planet in Ultramar mapped out and given background but then the majority of the Ultima Segmentum is still there for folks to fill in themselves.

It's nowhere near the detail that WHFB had amassed by the end but their efforts to link up with the hideous maps from the early campaign books show that they really are trying to go down that road of building up momentum towards a detailed setting (read: viable detailed IP). Hence the focus on these cities (in the Season of War, Firestorm, Malign Portents, AoS 2nd ed., this new RPG and presumably the new CoS battletome) and defined portions of the realms.

• Like 4