The Rumour Thread

11 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Kislev.

Dogs of War.

Fimir.

Then there are the chunks within armies.

Wood Elf chariots and bolt throwers.

Skeletons with great weapons.

Zoats.

And so on.

Squats are indeed the biggest example, but GW does have a history of making your purchase and hobby time spent on those purchases wasted. 

Not bitter, just pointing out that the company is not averse to taking our toys away.

Did Fimir have an army in GW? I know Dogs of War and Kisleve appeared and vanished though I believe with Dogs that was partly also at the same time GW was running down fantasy as a whole. 

In general it is more as you say - bits of armies vanish. However most of the time those bits vanish new bits appear alongside. So it can be a right pain to see a model go, but at the same time there's typically a new toy to play with alongside it so the sting isn't as bad. It's nothing like the sudden wholesale removals we've seen with AoS in general. 

2 minutes ago, Overread said:

Did Fimir have an army in GW?

3rd edition Warhammer Armies. They had models and rules. 

There were also lots of monsters that could be taken in armies and they went away as well. I had 10 riderless giant spiders. Gone.

40K Necron pariahs. 40K tyranid squigs. The entire battlefleet gothic game and model range. ManOWar. Titan Legions/Space Marine.

It's actually a pretty huge list of stuff that is toast.

Edited by Sleboda

A bit off-topic from the current discussion, but:

So, there's a new short story that was released today-The Warden in the Mountain

I'm only about halfway through, but the basic premise of the story is that the Kurnothi character is leading a band of aspiring Wild Wood Rangers to the Beastgrave as an initiation test. (Called here the order of the Wardens of the Wild, and describes their green cloaks and ranger daiche's among other things) and, uh...yeah Wanderers. Totally Wanderers. Humans are apparently allowed to join the order, but the majority of aspirants are Wanderers who didn't fit in with the Free Cities for one reason or other.

One of the aspirants is described as having hooves and horns, manifesting the "wild blood" as some "aelves of the hollows" are known to do. There's a lot of talk of (Your Gods are Dead and your People are Dead and your Future is gone) and overall it seems to be hinting that reviving the old Aelf pantheon is one of the goals of the order. I'll come back when I've finished the book, but pretty cool, man.

There's been so little lore about the Kurnothi so far (understandably) so even though it's just a little novella, it's a nice bit of background so far.

Edited by madmac
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

As far as Battleboxes, I have no idea. Gloomspite Gits maybe. Probably too soon for Bone Reapers, and I don't know what you'd do with the Slaanesh releases this year that aren't already in the SC and last years vs box.

Fyreslayers have never had a Battleforce I don't think, but there's so little potential there, and most other races have had at least one. Maybe Ogors to go with Mawtribes, or some larger city boxes, Freeguild seems like an obvious opportunity for that.

1 hour ago, Tonhel said:

This was posted at the War of Sigmar site in the commens about CoS, 

It makes a little bit of sense, as CoS is the first battletome in 2.0 that didn't receive something new. Terrain / single character or unit.

Which means all of us interested in it need to buy it and run it and prove to GW that it is a viable army worth supporting.

Can't say I'm surprised that GW weren't interested. Cities is a niche interest. Didn't Josh Reynolds recently post that his Eight Lamentations novel didn't sell well?

It was more like self-fulfilling prophecy: little support - little  selling - no support. I am grateful to @bottle that he managed to make that book as we can finally show GW that Cities of Sigmar are needed and wanted.

And I'm not sure that rumour is entirely true as GW showed us that they thought about Free Cities - they made Firestorm Campaign. This book is a development of that idea. 

Edited by michu
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Overread said:

It's always really hard to tell what is a pet project and what is commissioned and what goes on behind the closed doors of GW. It might surprise us how many things are pet projects and only exist because of one or two staff pushing them. 

Yup, not to mention regardless of how it came to be its here now. I very seriously doubt GW will squat anything in it within the next couple of years as they gave it a 2.0 battletome and if it sells well (and I think it will be very popular) they may reconsider their stance on the factions within it.

Edit: As for other battletomes this year, outside of Mawtribes and Bonereapers, I don't think we'll see any unless GW breaks tradition and does a battletome release in December. The schedule is just getting too full even with Cities and Warclans being released together. Though maybe there will be room if Bonereapers and Sisters are just 1 week releases but that feels unlikely to me.

Another tinfoil hat theory for the break in AoS battletomes releases over the summer (besides the Slyvaneth shipping issues) is they might be reviewing rules a bit more closely now. Skaven, Flesheater Courts, and Slaanesh have all been criticized for being over the top. 

Edited by Forrix

21 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Also Battlemages not axed if anyone needed any more confirmation:

Although this would be FANTASTIC NEWS if true, sadly being included in a battletome picture does not mean anything any more...  For all who have already forgotten, this year GW included the Skaven unit Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team in pictures in the new Skaven battletome, even though the warscroll and the model were both completely axed from the game WITH THAT BATTLETOME.  This is not the only time that has happened btw.

Corporate GW and the designers (love those guys) are not at all on the same page.

HOWEVER, I am very excited to hear that the battlemages MIGHT stay!

Also @Tonhel, whoever you are at GW who saved the old models, you are a saint!!! What a legend!

Edited by Zanzou
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Televiper11 said:

Which means all of us interested in it need to buy it and run it and prove to GW that it is a viable army worth supporting.

Can't say I'm surprised that GW weren't interested. Cities is a niche interest. Didn't Josh Reynolds recently post that his Eight Lamentations novel didn't sell well?

Oh? is that why the sequel hasn't been shown yet? 

18 minutes ago, michu said:

Then you expect something that won't happen @Turin Turambar, GW won't show a map with all continents for each realm as they want us to invent our own.

I didn't say all, I meant very vague, with named places from all over the realms, includeing major realm gates, but leaveing out most of the map as blank to allow for creativeity. I think it would be nice to have a large map of the realms with no real features other then dots and crosses labled as battle sites of super famous battles or cities. with everything inbetween blank. maybe with relevant stuff for a specific faction and half dozen stuff that is relevant to all. 

but what ever, i am not expecting it. just hoping for it. there is a difference.

@madmac now i kinda want to build a themed arm around that.

Talking of Battlemages, of all the old human Empire models I would not be surprised if they or some version thereof are one of the few that get a new set of models once the current release schedule/battletome blitz has run its course.

There's quite a bit of art that's been doing the rounds for at least a year or so now of realm specific spellcasters, so I could easily imagine a set featuring (or individual releases of) wizards that tie in with that.

Now of course that could just be a nice imagery for the sake of it but it does mean time has been spent thinking about what they would all look like, and it would be a nice way to add more realm specific models into the range without having to go the Warcry route and produce 8+ whole units.

Just now, svnvaldez said:

“forging your much-loved collections of aelves, humans and duardin into a single, deadly force”

At least we know cities will be an incredibly strong book. GW said they will be “deadly”... just like GHB ogres ;)

No, no. no, they said "deadly as always" - their power didn't change so they were right. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Overread said:

Also their endless spells always count as empowered by their various realms. That sounds like instead of getting their own endless spells they are getting the universal ones powered up all the time as compensation! 

Wonder what that means for Orruks since I can't imagine they'd get their own spells but also can't imagine they'd get the same "buff" as CoS is getting 

1 minute ago, smartazjb0y said:

Wonder what that means for Orruks since I can't imagine they'd get their own spells but also can't imagine they'd get the same "buff" as CoS is getting 

Honestly if Orruks don't get their own spells that's more surprising, perhaps they'll get "can take any from all of destruction" or something who knows. Cities is certainly going to be a very special and different tome. 

Cities of Sigmar have perhaps the largest potential army roster in all of Warhammer Age of Sigmar, capable of bringing units from (deep breath now) the Freeguild, Ironweld Arsenal, Order Serpentis, Dispossessed, Wanderers, Shadowblades, Collegiate Arcane, Phoenix Temple, Devoted of Sigmar and Darkling Covens.

SO, the Swifthawk Agents are 100% removed from Cities of Sigmar and it seems that Shadow Warriors have a new keyword perhaps?