The Rumour Thread

9 minutes ago, Overread said:

Slaves already got 6 boxes of new toys and 2 more to come from Warcry. 

I think most would be happy if Slaves just got a Tome to bring them up to standard within AoS and clean up the line and get past the "which models might vanish" hump. After that anything else (spells, terrain, new models, updated sculpts) is a bonus. 

Yeah exactly. I don't get why people think they're due for another huge wave of releases. They could make each of those kits a battleline unit (maybe depending on your "stormhost") and Slaves would be one of the most versatile and excellent looking armies around. The variety in body types really sells their aesthetic theme. People talk about a re-release of older kits like marauders but I built 40 marauders recently and I honestly don't get what the problem is. They look miles better than some models that still see regular use imo.

Honestly I can see GW removing marauders and replacing them with the Warbands from Warcry - the warbands being far more dynamic and moderm plus coming with specific flavours for the battlefield. IT also means that those bands will build direct from warcry into a Slaves army. It's easy to imagine getting two or three boxes of a single warband for Warcry and that's already taken you a good half or more on the way to a full unit of a few hundred points in AoS 

1 hour ago, Overread said:

I thought Nurgle was 2.0? 

Nurgle is 1.9 as I call it. Written with 2.0 in mind, but has some old writing conventions.  (effects on 6+ to hit instead of 6s before modifiers/rerolls, etc.) Still, it has the cover and spine of the 2.0 tomes, which makes it unlikely to be updated soon. (Legions of Nagash, Daughters of Khaine, and Idoneth Deepkin are the same)

As result, Tzeentch (or Slaves to Darkness, if those ever show up. We haven't heard anything about those that isn't wishlisting.) are more likely first. (Would be nice to have a non-errataed Changeling.... for a month or so)

24 minutes ago, Overread said:

Honestly considering the timing for what is left of this year Tzeentch getting an update makes more sense for being a simple release; but Slaves makes more sense in a "hitting christmas with the whole of AoS having battletomes". 

But the whole ‘hitting Christmas with all of AoS having battletomes’ Is just something you’ve said about. If anything, I imagine hitting a new financial year with all of AoS having updated battletomes is possibly a bigger deal to GW, if they even see it as a deadline like that. 

1 minute ago, Still-young said:

But the whole ‘hitting Christmas with all of AoS having battletomes’ Is just something you’ve said about. If anything, I imagine hitting a new financial year with all of AoS having updated battletomes is possibly a bigger deal to GW, if they even see it as a deadline like that. 

I've said it as a target purely from marketing purposes - Christmas being a time of high sales volume it makes sense to have it as a major target for the year. If all of AoS was equipped with battletomes then it maximises GW's potential profit earning over that period. Even KO and Seraphon players will still be encouraged to spend (or start new armies) because they've got Battletomes and thus a solid future in the game. 

So yes I'd have expected that to be a consideration for GW. Right now from what we've got confirmed and near confirmed it already looks like we'll hit christmas with only Slaves to Darkness/Everchosen without a battletome and it could well be that before the Sylvaneth delay (which knocked things about a month from what I recall reading) Slaves were set for a near Christmas release. That might well have pushed things and GW might have swapped slaves around with another force etc... They might also have shifted other things about too, we've no idea. 

4 minutes ago, Overread said:

I've said it as a target purely from marketing purposes - Christmas being a time of high sales volume it makes sense to have it as a major target for the year. If all of AoS was equipped with battletomes then it maximises GW's potential profit earning over that period. Even KO and Seraphon players will still be encouraged to spend (or start new armies) because they've got Battletomes and thus a solid future in the game. 

So yes I'd have expected that to be a consideration for GW. Right now from what we've got confirmed and near confirmed it already looks like we'll hit christmas with only Slaves to Darkness/Everchosen without a battletome and it could well be that before the Sylvaneth delay (which knocked things about a month from what I recall reading) Slaves were set for a near Christmas release. That might well have pushed things and GW might have swapped slaves around with another force etc... They might also have shifted other things about too, we've no idea. 

I’m not saying it doesn’t make sense, just that you’re making assumptions about how GW view it. They might not be worried about having them all out by Christmas, or they might have a different deadline if they have one at all. 

35 minutes ago, Overread said:

Honestly I can see GW removing marauders and replacing them with the Warbands from Warcry - the warbands being far more dynamic and moderm plus coming with specific flavours for the battlefield. IT also means that those bands will build direct from warcry into a Slaves army. It's easy to imagine getting two or three boxes of a single warband for Warcry and that's already taken you a good half or more on the way to a full unit of a few hundred points in AoS 

I really like the warbands for Warcry, but I don't agree with your statement that they are the basis for a new StD army. Maybe if you want an army of clones. From the moment you need more than 10, which certainly is needed as their AoS rules are not elite. You run in many duplicates, 

I would agree with you if i.e there would be for Iron Golems an Iron Legionaries box, but alas it is not. It's a box with a drillmaster, Ogor breacher and etc.. . This is also repeated for all the other new Chaos warbands.

If their would be anything for StD. I would prefer the Space Marine route. A generic StD battletome and than small tomes for the different warbands that add a couple of characters and a set that provides the basic troop (i.e 10x Iron legionaries) that each warband has. Ideally you would have than a smaller supplement that allows you thave units of Iron Legionaries, more elite units of Ogor Breachers and etc.. .

I wouldn't read too much into what armies get chosen for Battleforce boxes. Last year's included Slaves to Darkness and Seraphon and I remember there being a lot of hype at the time because people assumed that meant they were both due for major releases shortly after. There are still Slaves to Darkness battleforce boxes on the shelves at my local GW.

• Like 2

This was posted at the War of Sigmar site in the commens about CoS, 

NorrikanSupposedly Cities of Sigmar is a passion project of one of the designers who has pushed for this project for a good while now, while GW had very little interest in doing that.

Mind you, I've heard that second hand from one of the guys at a convention, so take that with a grain (or a pile) of salt.

BramGauntI can pretty much confirm that. He basically wrote the thing himself and presented a 80% finished book to GW, all they did was edit and add some artwork.

Norrikan:That aligns well with what I've heard, yeah. Apparently he also had to cash in some favors to get this approved?

It makes a little bit of sense, as CoS is the first battletome in 2.0 that didn't receive something new. Terrain / single character or unit.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

It makes a little bit of sense, as CoS is the first battletome in 2.0 that didn't receive something new. Terrain / single character or unit.

Aligns with my assumption of GW moving away from these old model lines, I still think GW wishes to move away from them, but approving this tome might buy them a couple of years more to phase them out and get people hooked on "the new stuff". I know that is a pessimistic line of thought, but I strongly believe GW is only hanging on to these old models to not lose revenue on old stock and molds and until they have something "better/new" to fill the gaps.

This does not really explain the no new models for Orruks, Ironjawz is even a model line created for AoS and is rather new but very limited, even more limited than Fyreslayers and they got both terrain and spells. A New book but no models is almost more disheartening than no new book at all, as it shows a minimal effort approach and shoots down hopes of a more varied model lineup which both current Orruk model lines desperately need. 

Both Ironjawz and Bonesplitterz are nothing but foot infantry and boar riders, the book needs to be very creative to differentiate this from a rules perspective, but from a pure collectors perspective it is all very similar and the 2 forces hardly compliment each other, no flyers, no warmachines, no monsters, no mounted melee hero except the mawkrusha. As little as a boxed set with a Warboss on a boar would have been something and make sense, even if sort of boring.

49 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

But this does not help to explain why ironjawz, a aosy new faction, will not have terrain or spell or whatever new model they deserve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dreadmund said:

I wouldn't read too much into what armies get chosen for Battleforce boxes. Last year's included Slaves to Darkness and Seraphon and I remember there being a lot of hype at the time because people assumed that meant they were both due for major releases shortly after. There are still Slaves to Darkness battleforce boxes on the shelves at my local GW.

The Slaves to Darkness battleforce is still available on the webstore as well.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

But this does not help to explain why ironjawz, a aosy new faction, will not have terrain or spell or whatever new model they deserve

maybe they listened to all the fans here who incessantly whined made considered arguments about their legitimate grievances that terrain and spells were nothing but a greedy cash grab move by GW

or more likely, for Orruks at least, maybe they'll just add those in later when there's a space in the production schedule it's not like they need to be in their book.

In the mean time players should just buy some Hulk Smash Hands instead and just once per game throw them at the table.

41fXAZENBZL._AC_.jpg

Edited by JPjr
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

5 minutes ago, JPjr said:

maybe they listened to all the fans here who incessantly whined made considered arguments about their legitimate grievances that terrain and spells were nothing but a greedy cash grab move by GW

or more likely, for Orruks at least, maybe they'll just add those in later when there's a space in the production schedule it's not like they need to be in there book.

In the mean time players should just buy some Hulk Smash Hands instead.

41fXAZENBZL._AC_.jpg

giphy.gif

rsz_1foot_of_gork.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Overread said:

prior to AoS GW does not have a track record of removing armies wholesale - the fact we call is Squatting and that was done decades ago suggests it.

Kislev.

Dogs of War.

Fimir.

Then there are the chunks within armies.

Wood Elf chariots and bolt throwers.

Skeletons with great weapons.

Zoats.

And so on.

Squats are indeed the biggest example, but GW does have a history of making your purchase and hobby time spent on those purchases wasted. 

Not bitter, just pointing out that the company is not averse to taking our toys away.

• Like 3

I don't see skaven nor FEC having a new battle force. For FEC, the obvious reason is that you already have almost all kits in the SC! . For skaven, you have 2*SC! and there's been a dual army box. I think that  maybe an ork force, a goblin force, a ogor force, a city force are good contenders, even a stormcast force.

For chaos, maybe Slanesh or tzeentch force.