The Rumour Thread

It helps a great deal to see each realm as a small world; and each city then similar to the cities of the Old World. Reading Soul Wars and a few other stories really helped me with scaling down the Realms from this overwhelming concept of multiple worlds to biomes to cities to buildings to humans to stories being set in a street at night in a specific city, reading about the day-to-day-lives of the people inhabiting the CoS really helps; and I guess the release of the CoS Battletome enhances that further (I'm a LoN player and built my background around these stories, this works for nearly all armies, this way, I'd say - the fluff outside the novels is lacking a bit, though, since we haven't had that many battletome-releases in the few years that AoS is running; and not everything's documented, I guess this will take a few more years). 

Mortal Realms are vaguely described for purpose - so we can create anything in here. For me it doesn't cheapen the experience. On the contrary, it makes my imagination run wild. I think there are two ways to embrace the fun of Mortal Realms.

First, you can start with one place e.g. Great Parch. We already knows a lot about Hammerhal and ancient Agloraxi Empire. There is also the floating city of Bataar, Anvilgard, Tempest's eye, etc... We know that ancient tribes accepted the challenge of Threx Skullbrand and sent their champions for gladiatorial games which helped Khorne invaded Aqshy. We know the history of Vostarg Lodge... And even two most famous characters are from there - Vandus Hammerhand and Korghos Khul.

Second, you can try to create your own corner of the Realms. Take the things we know about particular realm and then add your ideas and snippets from the real history. It works even with less described realms e.g. Hysh. We know that it's the realm of light. What if animals adapted to use that to survive? For example. the Flashray Cobra that spits energy beams to hunt and repel predators thanks to its luminar gland? What if people, inspired by that animal (like in real life), created  guns that contain sun-stones and aetherquartz, so instead of bullets it fires laser beams? Then they constructed Focal Cannon - an array of lens that focus and empower the light created by sun-stones to create devastating beams (obvious reference to Archimedes' mirror).  I think that such thought experiments really helps to realise the potential of AoS setting.

Aaaand maybe we should make another thread for that discussion...

• Like 5

Review of Beastgrave up on War of Sigmar: https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/4168

Some clearer rule details (e.g. the whole hunter and quarry thing) and some interesting background for Ghur. No large scale preview of other warbands but it seems the rule book has short sections on the gobbo wolf riders and the ghouls, suggesting that they’ll be the next ones released.

Looks like the leader of the ghouls is a duke, questing on behalf of his king. Presumably a mid-level hero? Not sure if he’ll be an abhorrent or a mordant.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

Review of Beastgrave up on War of Sigmar: https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/4168

Some clearer rule details (e.g. the whole hunter and quarry thing) and some interesting background for Ghur. No large scale preview of other warbands but it seems the rule book has short sections on the gobbo wolf riders and the ghouls, suggesting that they’ll be the next ones released.

Looks like the leader of the ghouls is a duke, questing on behalf of his king. Presumably a mid-level hero? Not sure if he’ll be an abhorrent or a mordant.

Describes him as a courtier, he won't be an abhorrent/vamp. Still, with how good Grashnak's Despoilers are he may turn out to be an auto include in FEC armies.

I'm hoping the wolf gobbos get good AoS rules, I'd love to see them in Destruction armies on the regular. :D 

6 hours ago, PaniuBraniu said:

That would solve a long standing rumour of a dichotomous light/dark elves army which would turn out to be in fact an army of sun/moon worshipping gobbos.

that wasn't a rumour that was a wishlist, at least i have only seen people wish listing it and not say it like a rumour.

as for the setting, i would like realm maps with locations of famous locations (battlefields  and cities for example) and rough areas of control,  like how 40k has the galactic map. it gives more ideas to bounce off of, while still being vague enough for being creative like 40k allows for more planets. 

15 minutes ago, Turin Turambar said:

as for the setting, i would like realm maps with locations of famous locations (battlefields  and cities for example) and rough areas of control,  like how 40k has the galactic map. it gives more ideas to bounce off of, while still being vague enough for being creative like 40k allows for more planets. 

AoSStartHere-May12-Map5wv.jpg

🤔

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, bsharitt said:

Maybe the Kurnothi being Syvaneth just means that GW is making new models without worry about new armies so they're just throwing them into best fit. I'm kind of hoping for that so maybe those new wolf riding goblins will be Gloomspite GItz.

I'm kinda hoping they stick them with the ogors/mawtribes, from a purely aesthetic standpoint I think their mongolian inspired look fits better with the ogors.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Double Misfire said:

AoSStartHere-May12-Map5wv.jpg

🤔

This is the opposite of what the poster asked. The 40k galaxy is outlined, but mostly left vague so that you can fill it in. AoS has developed a small part of some Realms, and left all the rest blank. Not even vague, just nothing.

As Michu said, this is not really a problem. I like running wild and making up free cities with a random features generator I've put together on Microsoft Excel. The problem is that the lack of a clear timeline and the relative vagueness of the setting makes it difficult to focus on theme or consistence. When I think about Lochainn's Pit and its green copper mines, shuld I make up the ruling class characters? Because if generations go by fast, then all of my characters are dead. Kind of pointless.

And the names... Toponymia in the Age of Sigmar has taken a deep dive towards the corny and the unoriginal. But that's the problem of language; since English is the generic common language, we have English names similar to those we'd get if we translated names in the world in a literal manner. And then, turned the lazy fantasy up to eleven (especially in Shyish, where names are ridiculously campy). Because "Flamescar Plateau" is a silly name. It is.

ZDPOsoH.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jymmy said:

I guess that the only way to create your own named characters and ignore the time factor  is to make them inmortal somehow (or using a race that already is)

In fact, I highly doubt that we will see any mortal independent character in AOS in the future

I think we will once:

1) Things settle down a bit

2) GW gets the cities of Sigmar out there  and thus human people back into the narrative in a big way not just as a side. 

Right now the start of the AoS era is indeed a time for gods and the immortals; however I think that once the initial surge of pushing back Chaos is over for the Stormcast we will see the story contract somewhat. We'll start to see more political elements such as interior cities and leaders pushing back against Stormcast Rulership/aid (being by then generations since the Chaos Age and also far from the front lines). We'll start to likely see issue with Stormcast purging the innocent (already happened at least once); we'll see forces like Nagashs' Bonereapers provide additional pressures against the Stormcast. 

Perhaps even see other major events unfold that will weaken the mighty forces of the Stormcast which will give ample room for mortal heroes. Heck if nothing else Gotrek is now running around and whilst he's not a normal mortal he's not the kind of character who's stories tend to span vast ages. He's not going to spend a thousand years with his boots up doing crosswords like some elf! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Overread said:

We'll start to see more political elements such as interior cities and leaders pushing back against Stormcast Rulership/aid (being by then generations since the Chaos Age and also far from the front lines). We'll start to likely see issue with Stormcast purging the innocent (already happened at least once); we'll see forces like Nagashs' Bonereapers provide additional pressures against the Stormcast. 

Perhaps even see other major events unfold that will weaken the mighty forces of the Stormcast which will give ample room for mortal heroes. Heck if nothing else Gotrek is now running around and whilst he's not a normal mortal he's not the kind of character who's stories tend to span vast ages. He's not going to spend a thousand years with his boots up doing crosswords like some elf! 

This would be a neat narrative.

As for Gotrek, there's plenty of Chaos warp portals he can get into and get lost for a thousand more years.

I don't want to panic anyone but the Greater Demons and the demon princes from Forgeworld are all delisted from AoS and 40K at present and only listed under Horus Heresy! I've contacted FW about this however considering that the greater chaos spawn vanished from sale without much warning this might be a worrying sign of restructuring or even impending removals. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Overread said:

I don't want to panic anyone but the Greater Demons and the demon princes from Forgeworld are all delisted from AoS and 40K at present and only listed under Horus Heresy! I've contacted FW about this however considering that the greater chaos spawn vanished from sale without much warning this might be a worrying sign of restructuring or even impending removals. 

They better keep their paws off the broodhorror xD

Someone just dropped this in the facebook slaanesh group, it's pretty interesting imo. (It's from the September white dwarf, can't believe I missed this.) You know when people said that the Unmade are going to be slaanesh? Seems the white dwarf is hinting that its most likely the splintered fang that will be the place where Slaanesh leaps off from. 

70376129_2461668503870431_91106109905080

Edited by shinros