The Rumour Thread

2 hours ago, Mcprowlington said:

Personally i think you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you ever assumed warband = future army.  Also, i don't think  Shadespire minis have the same 2-3 year production time that main AoS factions are said to.  For many of them, the quality isn't there.  I try to take them as an enjoyable  way for GW artists to vent some of that loose creative energy while also fleshing out some of the mortal realms. I really doubt we'll ever see a full kurnothi faction. The satyr theme already exists in abundance within the beastmen, and there's no way to copyright such a widespread trope, or even really distinguish it for that matter.

But it's nice to see them populate the realms without worrying about  redundancy, copyright issues or  how the faction must fit into the big overarching narrative. The kurnothi are simply a type of nomadic aelf found in small numbers roaming ghur. That's cool. I wonder what other neat realm-specific creatures and cultures are out there. 

You might be correct and it is a good way of populating the setting without massive production costs. 

To add into the idea though they might be using it as a opportunity to test concepts and see which ones have the biggest take up and then develop those ones into full factions for AoS proper. 

Edited by Ollie Grimwood
Spelling
  • Like 1

Gitmobs would surely answer the big question on how to expand the Grand Alligiance of Destruction. If we take a serious look at the factions, both, Destruction and Death lack faction diversity. For a long time the GS Death had only Legions of Nagash and FEC, meanwhile we have also the Nighthaunt and soon the Osiarch Bonereapers.

Meanwhile, althrough Destruction has more different Factions than Death, it yet feels like an GA with the lowest overall Support out there. I don´t know if Ironjaws were a AoS Faction or an Endtimes-Carryover, but beside them only Gloomspite Gits were really redone as a 2.0 Faction. BCR were the only supported Ogor-Subfaction so far and beside them an IJ only Bonesplitters have seen an Battletome.

With what we know, we can carefully assume GW to clear up Destruction into:

• Orruk Warclans (Former Bonesplitters and Ironjaws)
  • Gloomspite Gits (Former Moonclan and Spiderfangs)
  • Ogors (althrough we don´t know if we can already assume a merge with BCR´s)

Althrough there were not many hints at BCR+Gutbuster Merge beside a Banner showing Maneaters together with a Thundertusk, concidering GW merging Orruks together, we would have 3 Factions for all 3 "races" of Destruction. This would be finally a nice, cleaned up, GA Destruction, with a quite easy way for GW to Support them with only 3 Tomes. And this would lead plently of room for GW to add new Factions to the GA. At this point, Gitmob Grots would fit the theme quite nice, bearing enough creative space for GW without loosing a nostalgia factor.

Overall, I am a big fan of GW cleaning up the mess from the AoS1.0-Faction-Split-Times. It makes it easier for people to grasp armybuilding and makes it for GW easier to rework the books. Also, with all factions having a 2.0 supplement, gw has more room for campaign boxes and new factions. Althrough the price for this clean up was mostly paid by legacy army players which have to suffer the CoS-Cuts. At least GW noticed this and seems to adress the issue with Legends-Armies getting finally point costs. If they would also add an own and decent alligience ability and artifacts for them, I think the players would be fine with it.

4 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

Exactly.

I always found it strange how some people say "the mortal realms can be literally anything", and then rush to try and gatekeep anything remotely classic looking out of the world. Basically, "it can be literally anything... but not goblins riding wolves...".

"Anything" can, and should, mean the entirety of the classic-new spectrum. It's up to GW to try and gauge how to distribute releases across that spectrum, and while I don't doubt that the centre of mass of the player base leans on the side of "new", the significant positive respose to this release shows that it's not an either/or situation.

In fact, having classic goblins makes the wacky Moonclan goblins seem even more wacky in comparison. Or, to put it another way, in a world where everything is special, nothing is.

You make a very good point. AoS has many over the top designs that take a while to get used to. All the weird weapons, oversized warriors and floating bits should be like an extraordinary thing, otherwise they appear mundane.

One of the things I like the most about AoS lore is the idea that the Realms are stable and nice and normal on their centers, but things get exponentially weirder the more rimwise you are. There are powerful, valuable things in the Rim, but it's a dangerous place where you can be turned into a living crystal or spontaneously combust or get lost for aeons in memory-stealing fog. Great idea to put together the ordinary and the extraordinary. But we need to see the ordinary first.

A common complain back in the first days of AoS was "where's the normal people? Who am I fighting for?" Aside from the novels, they still have some work to do adressing that in the main sources of lore.

24 minutes ago, Lord Panther said:

Is it just me or is that a smaller cavalry base than usual?

They look like the 60mmx35mm ones to me, which is the smallest ones available I believe. They also fit pretty close to the hexes on the Nightvault board with only a tiny bit of overhang.

Another point is scale of armies. Stormcast are extreme warriors, but at the same time they are supposed to be fewer in number compared to rank after rank of regular warriors. Heck most of the Chaos armies they fight are made up of marauders and lower tier warriors with fewer elite warriors interspaced. Granted the launch of the age had massive armies of Stormcast, but its clear that as the boundaries of Chaos are pushed back the Stormcast are thinning their forces somewhat to cover the larger and larger front lines which means more room for regular troops. 

With the soon to be 3 consolidated Destruction factions all uniting a few different themes and races together, I wonder if I’m the future we won’t see any exclusive one race greenskin armies for destruction but rather see orruks and gitz combined to fit themes. 

Greenskin sky pirates or steppe warrior greenskinz using both races could be cool. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, AthlorianStoners said:

With the soon to be 3 consolidated Destruction factions all uniting a few different themes and races together, I wonder if I’m the future we won’t see any exclusive one race greenskin armies for destruction but rather see orruks and gitz combined to fit themes. 

Greenskin sky pirates or steppe warrior greenskinz using both races could be cool. 

All is possible but I don’t think so based on the Grot description also reported up here in this thread. They all follow the Waaagh but seems normally they keep each race on his own. I suppose also Gnoblars will completely disappear from a combined Ogor book, but for this we need to wait a little bit more.

Just now, alghero81 said:

All is possible but I don’t think so based on the Grot description also reported up here in this thread. They all follow the Waaagh but seems normally they keep each race on his own. I suppose also Gnoblars will completely disappear from a combined Ogor book, but for this we need to wait a little bit more.

Nah, gnoblars will stay. Most Ogor models literally come with Gnoblars on the sprue or built into the model, there's no separating the two.

The Wolf Riders having a sun as their faction icon fits perfectly with the new Gitmob fluff, but it remains to be seen how they will work. They could get rolled in with Ogors, with Sky Grots, or something else entirely. Since they are one of the two factions that will roll out quickly after Beastgrave we'll have a good idea soon enough.

I also think people assuming that the Kurnothi, a faction headlining the core box set vs Beastmen being an experiment or one-off are deeply kidding themselves, but that's another topic.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Remember GW design team always comes up with a idea 4-5 years before we finally get to see the products

With nowadays technologies I beliebe this nothing else but...a rumour. See what I did there? ;) Seriously...if the company still believes it themselves...

So, is it a hint towards a new army? In regards of what I just wrote above I believe this to be a testrun. A CAD can be shredded in seconds if the warband proves to be unpopular. If the box will be generally sold well, we will likely see the CADs for more minis go into production. That simple.

3 hours ago, AthlorianStoners said:

I would indeed prefer for exemple steppe ogor + steppe greenskin than steppe ogors + maori ogors 

7 minutes ago, Overread said:

The worst thing from my view is that the longer we wait for Cities and Orruks the longer we wait for Bonereapers!!

Quiet you. Bonereapers, we were told October for sure. Cities, Orruks and Mawtribes we dont have a clue other than vague mentionings at Nova or whatever.

• Thanks 1