The Rumour Thread

21 minutes ago, JudgeX83 said:

Sorry a bit of topic but do we know when the new slaves to darkness book will release and if it will still have units like marauders that can be marked? I just finished converting poxwalkers into nurgle marauders and I'd like to know if I should bother painting them

I’m just guessing but I suspect they will discontinue old plastics like warriors and marauders.

Seems a general trend to only be keeping plastics from the 2004-2006 era (and removing all finecast unless it’s a needed character)

Black Orcs, Chaos Knights, Marauders on Horse, Great Swords, Sav Orcs, Hammers, Iron Breakers etc etc.

2 hours ago, JudgeX83 said:

Sorry a bit of topic but do we know when the new slaves to darkness book will release and if it will still have units like marauders that can be marked? I just finished converting poxwalkers into nurgle marauders and I'd like to know if I should bother painting them

No word. Not before the next four books at least. Probably not until sometime next year.

On 9/8/2019 at 1:04 PM, Luke.w said:

That 40k stuff was announced a few weeks ago, the CoS and the warclans were announced 2 months ago and the only official update we have had is a bunch of Last Chance to Buy with no warning.

Yeah, they were announced at an Age of Sigmar Open Day, which are special events, so of course they're going to tease something for further in the year. Crazy I know, right? 🤯 

In the meantime they have a release schedule, and other product slated to be released. They don't tease everything with a few months wait time. So you'll see new stuff previewed and promptly released. Meanwhile people are coming up with conspiracy theories like GW is ashamed of the battletome, there's been a huge problem, etc.

The only problem they've had was cutting all those miniatures without some kind of statement beyond an email asking you to buy the stuff that will soon be irrelevant.

Y'all need to cool your jets.

Edited by skeen77
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, Kramer said:

Absolutely possible. But it would have to be a big red-con. With two out of three ‘starting’ mortachs being vampires, all lore surrounding them being heavily old Skool blood drinking vampires, and the whole legion of blood thing... it’s going to be a big change. 

So I don’t expect them to change it big. Maybe more a elite classical warrior vampire theme. 

If/when we get a Soulblight book, I can see it covering Vampires from at least two different angles.  You have Neferata - the "queen of court", so likely more orientated on noble Vampires with their armies of thralls and underlings - very focused on debuffing the opposition and empowering your own through devotion & blood drinking.  You then have Mannfred, who's likely to have a more elite focused army with more blood thirsty vampires and likely some kind of peasant chaff to throw in the way - possibly bringing things like dire wolves into the fold.  This has already been (sort of) hinted at in the various Black Library novels out there.

My own take is that Legions of Nagash was a placeholder book - designed to update Death so that it was playable.  Judging from the new Bonereapers, we'll get new battletomes that explicitly include the units we're allowed.  So no more "you can also include units from these other locations", if you're allowed the unit, it'll be in the book.  I could also see some (initially confusing) model re-use - so you may have Legion Grimghast Reapers & Grimghast Reapers in the same way as you have the Legion Black Coach & Black Coach, to ensure people can continue to use their existing model range, but allowing GW the option to tweak how those units interact with the army.

• Like 2

Maybe i'm wrong, and i know some people talk about it from time to time here, but i've a strong feeling we might see the Pirate Vampires from TW:W2 in AoS at soem point. This army didn't exist in WFB, and they developped a whole concept under GW PI. So it must be coming from somewhere.
And it could fit the AoS lore, and they have some very cool models (like the huge construct).
W&S

• LOVE IT! 1

17 hours ago, Furuzzolo said:

Can I ask what do you mean with command squad?

It's based on a comment from the battletome reveal at the AoS open day. https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/07/20/the-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-open-day-2019-live-bloggw-homepage-post-1/

Sam Pearson (rules writer) said "Contained within you will find allegiance abilities for whichever of the great cities your army hails from,from the mighty Hammerhal all the way to the Living City of Ghyran, as well as over-arching abilities such as picking a retinue and personal advisor to accompany your general." (my emphasis) 

No info on how that will be implemented but lots of people (myself included) are looking forward to finding out. For me (and I think for some other people) the idea reminds them of space marine command squads with the commander, sergeant, apothecary, techmarine etc. etc. which I would quite like personally. On the other hand it could turn out like the whole 'packs of magmadroths' thing where most people seemed to be expecting a magmadroth battalion, but it turned out to be Lofnir lodge being able to take 1 extra magmadroth. Anyhow, there's been some discussion over in the CoS thread if you're interested. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

Don’t forget zombies, I can totally see in the future GW expanding the decaying body concept, although they may create a new Mortarch for that if they ever go in that direction. Or give it to Mannfred leaving pure Soulblight to Neferata 

I kind of get the impression that this is an aesthetic aspect of Death - rot, decay, zombies - that GW has more or less handed over to Nurgle in favour of the colder, 'drier' aesthetic with the End Times releases, the Nighthaunt, the Ossiarchs, and Nagash's background in general. It's still there a bit but there's clearly been a lot of effort to make sure there's some conceptual and design room between Nurgle and Death so I wouldn't expect to see it get much attention.

24 minutes ago, Dr Ben said:

Sam Pearson (rules writer) said "Contained within you will find allegiance abilities for whichever of the great cities your army hails from,from the mighty Hammerhal all the way to the Living City of Ghyran, as well as over-arching abilities such as picking a retinue and personal advisor to accompany your general." (my emphasis) 

No info on how that will be implemented but lots of people (myself included) are looking forward to finding out. For me (and I think for some other people) the idea reminds them of space marine command squads with the commander, sergeant, apothecary, techmarine etc. etc. which I would quite like personally.

The old 40k daemonhunters codex had a good trick with this. If your inquisitor had, say, a warrior in their retinue that must mean that they're at least a bit martially minded, so it boosted their weapon skill (as well as having a tough bodyguard model). If they had a savant or bonded psyker, that boosted another stat and gave some other effect. GW used a lesser version of the same thing later on  for imperial guard advisors, though it was more about the special rules. It was a nice effect anyway, where the makeup of a retinue/command squad both customised your hero and made a unique kind of squad.

19 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

I kind of get the impression that this is an aesthetic aspect of Death - rot, decay, zombies - that GW has more or less handed over to Nurgle in favour of the colder, 'drier' aesthetic with the End Times releases, the Nighthaunt, the Ossiarchs, and Nagash's background in general. It's still there a bit but there's clearly been a lot of effort to make sure there's some conceptual and design room between Nurgle and Death so I wouldn't expect to see it get much attention.

The old 40k daemonhunters codex had a good trick with this. If your inquisitor had, say, a warrior in their retinue that must mean that they're at least a bit martially minded, so it boosted their weapon skill (as well as having a tough bodyguard model). If they had a savant or bonded psyker, that boosted another stat and gave some other effect. GW used a lesser version of the same thing later on  for imperial guard advisors, though it was more about the special rules. It was a nice effect anyway, where the makeup of a retinue/command squad both customised your hero and made a unique kind of squad.

In Total war, there's a similar effect. I would have liked the martial retinue to show up there, and I think in AoS this is almost a neccessity.

1 hour ago, Hystarion said:

Maybe i'm wrong, and i know some people talk about it from time to time here, but i've a strong feeling we might see the Pirate Vampires from TW:W2 in AoS at soem point. This army didn't exist in WFB, and they developped a whole concept under GW PI. So it must be coming from somewhere.
And it could fit the AoS lore, and they have some very cool models (like the huge construct).
W&S

They did exist in Fantasy, they had a white dwarf army list a while ago. So it’s not a new concept. 

1 hour ago, Hystarion said:

W&S

As someone else pointed out, that army idea came from a White Dwarf. However, I do think GW will make an army like this. They could also make them sky pirates. Lore wise, I could see Nagash wanting a faction to hunt Deepkin as they keep stealing souls. 

When it comes to "what if" armies the AoS setting is so open and free form that pretty much anything is possible for GW to create. 

Pirate Skaven Ninja Skyship Raiders?

Chaos Worshipping Undead Beastmen?

Aelf Pacifist Kingdom of the Great Elephant

Basically anything that can be done could be done within the setting. What GW chooses to do is going to depend on what they want to create and on what the market seems to like. Keeping in mind that much of the market doesn't know what it likes until it sees it; and a large part of it will react well to good designs and lore no matter the theme. 

• LOVE IT! 3

3 minutes ago, Overread said:

When it comes to "what if" armies the AoS setting is so open and free form that pretty much anything is possible for GW to create. 

Pirate Skaven Ninja Skyship Raiders?

Chaos Worshipping Undead Beastmen?

Aelf Pacifist Kingdom of the Great Elephant

Basically anything that can be done could be done within the setting. What GW chooses to do is going to depend on what they want to create and on what the market seems to like. Keeping in mind that much of the market doesn't know what it likes until it sees it; and a large part of it will react well to good designs and lore no matter the theme. 

GWdesignteam.gif

1139465631_giphy(42).gif.3f11b9c9c66ee13aae4aaae393f7eaf9.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

I think the heavily talked about sky grots, undead pirates etc should be covered in a aeronautica/ dreadfleet style aerial dual game. 

Factions could include 

-undead pirates

-sky grots 

-KO

-ironweld

-reintroduction of swifthawk agents!

Loads of scope for a great game. Shame they went with Aeronautica

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

8 minutes ago, CDM said:

I think the heavily talked about sky grots, undead pirates etc should be covered in a aeronautica/ dreadfleet style aerial dual game. 

Factions could include 

-undead pirates

-sky grots 

-KO

-ironweld

-reintroduction of swifthawk agents!

Loads of scope for a great game. Shame they went with Aeronautica

I'd prefer if GW did a full Man O War for AoS. That way you can bring in the skyships but also all the fleets on the high seas as well as have dragons and kracken on the same table! 

And that preview image looks very ork.. er Orruky! 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, madmac said:

Definitely Destruction, though I'd be amazed if Grot Pirates were close enough to release to be getting a rumor engine.

I really hope that if it comes someday, it will not just be “grot”. Even if kharadron book said so. It would be awesome if we saw a full range of privateers from various races. Human, grot, ogor, dwarf, aelf and ******. 

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

44 minutes ago, Cèsar de Quart said:

Bugman?

34 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

To me the sign look like a lion or gryphon 

B23F82CB-775F-44AA-BC99-FBD6A6957ADF.jpeg

Same initial thoughts. Though classic bugman's was XXXXX! 

1 minute ago, sandlemad said:

A really poorly-constructed tiller on a goblin airship? I'll selfishly hope it's something ogre-ish - terrain? - but if this is a sign of future Gortbag Scuttlers, hey, cool.

Grots pirates is an idea. But we know Ogors are coming and the ogor kits (like the ironblaster especially) have plenty of planks and bits scavenged from the Empire. So part of a new ogor kit is my bet. 

19 minutes ago, Dr Ben said:

Grots pirates is an idea. But we know Ogors are coming and the ogor kits (like the ironblaster especially) have plenty of planks and bits scavenged from the Empire. So part of a new ogor kit is my bet. 

If the ogre release does prove to be more than a plastic tyrant and a new merged battletome, I will flip out.

• Like 1