The Rumour Thread

12 hours ago, Mutton said:

I have theory that the Ossiarch leak was orchestrated to feed us juicy AoS news, knowing the CoS and Orruk books were still a little ways out.

We know the CoS book is complete as they had a physical copy at the AoS open day. If anything I think leaking the CoS battletome would be the smart move as it could allow for people to start planning their purchases or at least have some idea of how their army will play. I think why people are so impatient for Cities but not as much Warclans is that Ironjawz have coherent, at least semi-competitive, and fun to play rules right now.

I doubt there will be a 2nd culling of models though I very strongly suspect all the random small order factions will just be rolled up into Free People, Duardin/Dispossessed, and Aelf. If there is a 2nd Culling though a sick part of me hopes that there was miscommunication between departments and Great Swords got the axe. It would just be too funny to have a new battletome with a model that was discontinued before it was launched front and center on the cover.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have only been back in the hobby for just under a year (after a  decade break) but it seems to me like this year has been very much about getting as many books out as possible and setting up a solid base for AoS to work with going forward. Unfortunately that has meant new models have to had to take a back seat but it seems like a solid decision to me. With OBR on the way and most of the factions with up to date books I'd say GW are rounding off this stage of development about now.

I think the 2 most interesting factions here are Seraphin and StD. Both need new books and both have tonnes of older models that I'm sure GW would like to update. What if they dont feature in this 2.0 book update because GW has much more significant plans for them; with both a new book and an overhauled model range coming all at once?

Right now the biggest barrier of entry is not having a 2.0 battletome.  Not only does it mean that the army has no single rules resource and a clear one at that; but it also means that existing fans will say things like "Oh they are cool but they don't have a Battletome and GW could remove them from sale at any point!" So from Gw's point of view getting armies into 2.0 is the most important thing.

New models haven't taken a back seat, but its just taht the Tomes were coming out WAY faster than GW could ever produce models for. We'll likely enter into a period like 40K is where some armies get 0.5 battletome updates and new versions when the yget a big addition; and also expansions and such which add a few new units to armies here and there etc... There's also 2 fresh armies on the horizon (potentially) in the light and dark aelves. 

After that who knows what GW could be planning. I'd be shocked if they don't add a new death and destruction factions to the game. Order is pretty chock full and Chaos is as well at present - they have ample room to update lines that are already there. Death and Destruction are smaller. Orruks will likely benefit a big update to add variety tothe force etc... 

Yes I agree there’s super potential for expanding and without going wishlisting too much we know for sure in the lore there are the flying Grots (can’t remember the name), the Golem army from Chamon and another I don’t remember, other than Light and Shadow aelves. And the incognita Kurnothi that could be just a single warband (unlikely), a full army or an extension of Wanderers.

So there’s a lot to think about, existing factions could be revisited and expanded, like Phoenix Temple or others receiving a DoK treatment. Then there’s wave 2 miniatures, rumours want Kharadron being top of the list of a wave 2.

Only thing I’m keeping an eye is how much they are revisiting old 2.0 battletomes. Because while Idoneth and Stormcast are likely to get an update at some point, I would not like soups like LoN and BoC be at the end of their line and slowly replaced by newer armies. I don’t mind models being replaced and buying newer ones if it’s limited to this. If instead they want to totally get rid of warscrolls with no replacements, I just wish they do it sooner than later as the waiting is excruciating.

Beasts of Chaos isn't a soup, its the old Beastmen army rebuilt into its former glory. Right now the only real soups are the Legions of Nagash and Cities of Sigmar. Most of the rest of the armies are simply rebuilding what they once were. Orruks aren't even getting goblins back into their fold, but at least the great warboss is uniting the remnants of the orruk peoples under one great banner of WAAARGH! 

I don't think you'd see Beasts of Chaos retired. Sure some sculpts will be over time and newer designs will slip in and new ideas and creatures, but not a retirement at large. If anything I can get behind Legions of Nagash changing since its almost a catch-all mess of Undead stuff. I think if GW gave Vampires their own book for Death then I could see one of a few things happening:

1) Legions of Nagash expands into the "Grand Alliance Death book". The army doesn't vanish, it jsut becomes the catch-all for the faction which it sort of is now. Though perhaps with some refinement such as how zombie dragons are not royal even though its the same sculpt. 

2) Legions of Nagash disbands entirely - not ideal but possible since in theory those who collect them can branch into one of the then 3 forces (Flesh Eaters' Bonereapers; Vampires; Nighthaunt) and expand their army without a total loss. 

3) Legions remains as it is and acts as a generic catch- all faction, with a few unique models added of its own. Coupled to renamed models so that GW can ahve different stats for the same model within it to avoid imbalances. 

4) Legions of Nagash gets a do-over focusing heavily on Vampires. This might mean some of the other options get lost or moved into themed battalions rather than remaining part of the "core" army.

Whatever happens I'd be most surprised if GW didn't do something with Vampires. They need a nice big overhaul and a fresh wave of models to bring them up to their blood power once again! They are clearly popular in the lore and for gamers. 

15 minutes ago, Overread said:

Whatever happens I'd be most surprised if GW didn't do something with Vampires. They need a nice big overhaul and a fresh wave of models to bring them up to their blood power once again! They are clearly popular in the lore and for gamers. 

This would be great, but I don't trust GW to not give them a "twist" so they they are almost nothing like the classic Gothic "Dracula" Vampires that are not copyrightable.

There is a decent demand and love for  grumpy, Tolkein-esque dwarfs too, but GW has almost wiped out this archetype in favour of KO and FS.

Conversely, Nighthaunt gives some hope, as they are, basically, an army of bedsheet ghosts and Grim Reaper-esque Wraiths.

As I said in another thread, plastic Blood Knights, Fell Bats and a new foot Vampire Lord and you are good to go. With the existing Vargs, VLoZD, Coven/Bloodseeker and Neferata, that's a solid, if elite, faction.

Personally, I prefer a "all vampires and bats army" (i.e. Soulblight) to "vampires leading lots of different dead stuff" (i.e. Legion of Blood), so I hope this is the direction they take, but, again, I am a bit skeptical.

Edited by Kyriakin
  • Like 5

Yes vampires are needed, and those directions are all good although I would like a bit more clarity as many things don’t make sense. Like today there’s a Legion coach that is the old model not sold anymore, what’s the reason of keeping it there to confuse people? 

Or whats the difference between a Zombie Dragon and it’s Royal counterpart outside of the keywords?

Beasts of Chaos, if you don’t come from Warhammer Fantasy background, is a soup in the sense that it united at least two factions with previous faction allegiances (Brayherd and Warherd) with a third one (Thunderscorn) quite limited in choices but still viable and added Gargants and almost all Monster of Chaos for a bit of oomph (lore wise they also fit). From a pure AoS stand point it’s a soup battletome that fixed 3 Chaos factions altogether as much as Gitz fixed all leftovers from the split with orcs (Moonclan, Spiderfang and Troggoths with a splash of Gargants).

BoC and LoN should probably be discussed separately. BoC are getting new models in Beastgrave for existing warscrolls and there’s always the hope that they introduce more God-specific gors one day like Pestigors, etc. On the other side chaotic beasts are Slaves only instead of being BoC too, the old Furies being some of the few monsters weirdly left over from the merge with BoC. The Raptoryx would have replaced nicely the Chaos warhounds...

LoN has to witness the Ossiarch release and see if it will use those for expansions or lose to newer models, I.e. would the new skeletons be better versions of the old skeletons? In that case why playing LoN when Nagash can pull the same tricks in the new army and do even better? Of course the latter is just speculation and we are off topic anyway...  

This is great, but in a few years (only 3) I build a entire army painted of 6090P of legions of nagash (without Nagash). Actually i don't take more Games Workshop miniatures (except my actual project of gutbusters + beastclaw raiders), i wish play with this army for the next 5-8 years... If Games-Workshop do unplayable my miniatures of skeleton warriors, grave guard, zombies (actually unplayable), blood warriors (I have 10 originals of workshop no proxies, 164 EURS), vampires, etc... Or split my 6 morghast or Arkhan to the legions of Nagash... I would send this game to the toilet... I only like a few miniatures of the bonerippers (the general, the cavalry and the skeletons with a red face as a tengu japan mask), the catapult or the monster are very freaky for me.  And, as I said, in the next years I only will buy traditional ogors.

Workshop must take care of his customers.

Edited by Sartxac

There is an argument to be made that Legions of Nagash wasn't a soup tome either though. It was Vampire Counts updated for Age of Sigmar, with the Caveat that Nagash had usurped the throne from the actual vampires. Like Beasts of Chaos it just put most of the disparate parts of a shattered WFB army back together (barring ghouls).

When a new Chaos Undivided book comes it will just be Chaos Warriors (minus the god specific stuff), rather than a soup, per se.

The real exception is Cities of Sigmar, which is basically taking five different WFB armies, and combining them all into the same book.

What I'd kind of like to see is a system where each grand alliance has maybe six or so factions, and then a larger unifying battletome, like Legions of Nagash, which lets you put it all together without resorting to just running the grand alliance allegiance.

Depending on how things work out, that could be some sort of Slaves to Darkness tome for Chaos, Waaagh! for destruction, Cities of Sigmar for Order, and of course Legions of Nagash for Death. Time will tell whether they go in that direction.

1 hour ago, Kyriakin said:

This would be great, but I don't trust GW to not give them a "twist" so they they are almost nothing like the classic Gothic "Dracula" Vampires that are not copyrightable.

There is a decent demand and love for  grumpy, Tolkein-esque dwarfs too, but GW has almost wiped out this archetype in favour of KO and FS.

Conversely, Nighthaunt gives some hope, as they are, basically, an army of bedsheet ghosts and Grim Reaper-esque Wraiths.

As I said in another thread, plastic Blood Knights, Fell Bats and a new foot Vampire Lord and you are good to go. With the existing Vargs, VLoZD, Coven/Bloodseeker and Neferata, that's a solid, if elite, faction.

Personally, I prefer a "all vampires and bats army" (i.e. Soulblight) to "vampires leading lots of different dead stuff" (i.e. Legion of Blood), so I hope this is the direction they take, but, again, I am a bit skeptical.

I strongly suspect them to keep some "Bloodsuckers of the Mortal Realms"-theme, but I guess they'll scrap Vlad and the sorts, kinda like they did with the background of FEC. I'm a Legion of Blood player (will join the OBR-train, though), so I'd love to get a full-on Vampire book, but if we'll get one, I think the background will be heavily modified. 

1 hour ago, AHexInScarletRed said:

I strongly suspect them to keep some "Bloodsuckers of the Mortal Realms"-theme, but I guess they'll scrap Vlad and the sorts, kinda like they did with the background of FEC. I'm a Legion of Blood player (will join the OBR-train, though), so I'd love to get a full-on Vampire book, but if we'll get one, I think the background will be heavily modified. 

Absolutely possible. But it would have to be a big red-con. With two out of three ‘starting’ mortachs being vampires, all lore surrounding them being heavily old Skool blood drinking vampires, and the whole legion of blood thing... it’s going to be a big change. 

So I don’t expect them to change it big. Maybe more a elite classical warrior vampire theme. 

Edited by Kramer

22 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

On an unrelated topic I just noticed that the Chimera does not appear in the new Warcry book index. Would the only way to obtain its card be to buy the model? I hope I’m wrong as this would be a new low...

Not that I wouldn't want too have the card available on its own, but how is this a low, new or otherwise?

If you want the Cypher Lords cards, you get them by purchasing the model (s) as well.

It's probably a "new low" for those who already own a chimera - though if I recall right from what I've heard of reviews, the rules are in the book too. I'm surprised it was the only reboxing along those lines or that GW didn't just produce a mercenaries and monsters card pack with a single card for each monster/merc. Or even four packs (one for each alliance). 

9 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Not that I wouldn't want too have the card available on its own, but how is this a low, new or otherwise?

If you want the Cypher Lords cards, you get them by purchasing the model (s) as well.

Cause all other monsters are in the book except the chimera. If confirmed. Cypher lords are new miniatures so if you want to play them you buy them and cards come with them. Chimera is an old model, why would be the only way to obtain that card if all others are in the new book? Why only the model in the cover?

If to play Stormcast after you have every single model they would tell you you need to buy the Start Collecting Vanguard because that’s the only way to get the cards, would you be happy?

6 minutes ago, Overread said:

It's probably a "new low" for those who already own a chimera - though if I recall right from what I've heard of reviews, the rules are in the book too. I'm surprised it was the only reboxing along those lines or that GW didn't just produce a mercenaries and monsters card pack with a single card for each monster/merc. Or even four packs (one for each alliance). 

I don’t have the book so I can’t say but from the index it seems there’s no rules for the Chimera. Hope I’m wrong or they will make them available for free. But haven’t seen any card of Warcry released for free yet