The Rumour Thread

4 minutes ago, CDM said:

Yeah exactly.  That's ask unfounded fear

Each city can enlist Stormcast externals into their armies in allegience just like two of the cities can also do so for Kharadron Overlords and Slyvaneth. It's in the original announcement. 

I dont think it's likely but it's not completely unfounded. 

Edited by Forrix
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, AthlorianStoners said:

I hope everything settles down once people have their books. Every announcement seems to send everything into a tailspin. 

It's worse than normal for AoS because of all the changes to armies and all the stuff that has been lost and hasn't had a tome for the whole life of AoS etc... It's got a lot of baggage which is why its all hyped up far more so by the fans. Once the books are out things will settle down a bit more; things should get a touch more sane and we can go on hoping for updated and more models! 

7 minutes ago, Forrix said:

Each city can enlist Stormcast externals into their armies in allegience just like two of the cities can also do so for Kharadron Overlords and Slyvaneth. It's in the original announcement. 

Yes but he said that it could be another stormcast eternal battletome. It's clearly not going to be that is it!

21 minutes ago, CDM said:

Yes but he said that it could be another stormcast eternal battletome. It's clearly not going to be that is it!

I said that was my worst fear. Its is entirely possible the allegiance abilities and warscroll rewrites could result in the only at least moderately competitive army builds consisting mostly of or entirely of Stormcast Eternals. Hence the battletome serving as another Stormcast Eternal battletome more than new and more modern way of playing the various human, elf and dwarf factions being consolidated. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Forrix said:

I said that was my worst fear. Its is entirely possible the allegiance abilities and warscroll rewrites could result in the only at least moderately competitive army builds consisting mostly of or entirely of Stormcast Eternals. Hence the battletome serving as another Stormcast Eternal battletome more than new and more modern way of playing the various human, elf and dwarf factions being consolidated. 

You're right that is one possible future. Depending on how the stormcast are included it's not too hard to envisage a half decent shootcast list with some cheap chaff screens being possible in the CoS book. I guess that might be the sort of thing you had in mind? But the stormcast have their own perfectly fine allegiance abilities, etc. It seems very unlikely that all other builds will be weak though. Several of the existing CoS units are already strong, phoenix temple have gone 4:1 in tournaments without any book or GHB support. 

It does seem unlikely that all options will be highly competitive. My dwarves will still have 4' movement. So, unless there are serious movement shenanigans new in CoS, a heavily dispossessed focussed force is unlikely to be ever be top tier because they will always struggle to play the objective game to some degree.  

Depending on whether tempests eye is any good, I would guess its more likely KO players might want to experiment with the CoS rules (until there is an updated KO book) . 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Forrix said:

Yeah, this could be a major problem.

Warscrolls of Stormcast are a lot better than of Free People, Disposessed and Aelves. If the rework of their warscrolls is insufficient, we have two options:

Allegiance abilities don't fill the gap: The armies are dead on arrival

Allegiance abilities do fill the gap: Free People, Disposessed and Aelves are merely chaff for the real heroes, the Stormcast (or KO, or Sylvaneth).

I would rather have SC, KO and Sylvaneth be just ally options, this would give GW more options to make the book good for people it's intended for.

I do not have trust in GW to deliver a good book. I am unsure whether they are trying to do so.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Yeah, this could be a major problem.

Warscrolls of Stormcast are a lot better than of Free People, Disposessed and Aelves. If the rework of their warscrolls is insufficient, we have two options:

Allegiance abilities don't fill the gap: The armies are dead on arrival

Allegiance abilities do fill the gap: Free People, Disposessed and Aelves are merely chaff for the real heroes, the Stormcast (or KO, or Sylvaneth).

I would rather have SC, KO and Sylvaneth be just ally options, this would give GW more options to make the book good for people it's intended for.

I do not have trust in GW to deliver a good book. I am unsure whether they are trying to do so.

Let them actually release the models before coming to any judgement. Bottle said himself that warscrolls have bee rewritte, is known to be a huge fan of the army and has good backgroudo n producing good rules.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Thiagoma said:

It was pretty major.  Order Draconis, Eldritch Council, Swifthawk Agents (except shadow warriors), Lion Rangers, Glade Guard, all but 1 wanderer hero, plus a bunch of Free Peoples and Disspossesed.

Pretty much lost 30+ models and A LOT of warscrolls.

Am I right in thinking that they said these units are still ok for now as they have points in the GH but will drop out next time? If so they can still be played for 10/11months. That's a decent lead time of notice no? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Laststand said:

Am I right in thinking that they said these units are still ok for now as they have points in the GH but will drop out next time? If so they can still be played for 10/11months. That's a decent lead time of notice no? 

Not a great solice if you have been waiting for your battletome just to get the CoS anouncement and see it squatted. 

Technically all i got was more 11 months without support  and nothing as a replacement.

It was a lot of squatted new plastics and no new elven army to collect.

4 minutes ago, Laststand said:

Well, they'll be the only units without updated warscrolls, updated warscrolls for other units can mean their keyword won't work anymore, and for the mounted generals, an updated warscroll would mean they do not get to use a horse, or sensible weapon so they are invalidated as soon as CoS hits.

Them going to legends could also be done by updated legends file (which is neccessary anyway because of the keywords), which is a later publication, thus removing them instantly.

Even if not, loss of multiple armies with less than a year lead time is quite punishing.

I used to enjoy coming here to read this thread but boy oh boy is it full of repetitive whinging these days. It makes for an incredibly dull read and also makes this community appear very entitled and unable to cope with change. Makes me long for the old days; even just a year or two ago this thread community was much more fun.

BTW I don't lay the blame on this change of attitude on gw, who have improved their communication over the time that this form has gotten so salty - let's face it, things are improving on the AoS scene, with only a handful of armies requiring battletomes and the general direction of the game pretty clear, plus there are now frequent updstes/reveald over what is happening and where the lines are going. All the positive vibes still exist out there in other threads on this forum and also WhatsApp or discord servers. Hell even Facebook comments are more fun than this thread. 

I don't know what has caused the change in tone for this thread - or maybe it's always been the same and I'm just less able to put up with it? Anyway I would seriously like to ask the mods: could they have a think about employing a heavier hand of moderation so that this thread  can take a step back from the repetitive whinge-fest it has become? 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 9
  • Confused 5

5 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

I used to enjoy coming here to read this thread but boy oh boy is it full of repetitive whinging these days. It makes for an incredibly dull read and also makes this community appear very entitled and unable to cope with change. Makes me long for the old days; even just a year or two ago this thread community was much more fun.

BTW I don't lay the blame on this change of attitude on gw, who have improved their communication over the time that this form has gotten so salty - let's face it, things are improving on the AoS scene, with only a handful of armies requiring battletomes and the general direction of the game pretty clear, plus there are now frequent updstes/reveald over what is happening and where the lines are going. All the positive vibes still exist out there in other threads on this forum and also WhatsApp or discord servers. Hell even Facebook comments are more fun than this thread. 

I don't know what has caused the change in tone for this thread - or maybe it's always been the same and I'm just less able to put up with it? Anyway I would seriously like to ask the mods: could they have a think about employing a heavier hand of moderation so that this thread  can take a step back from the repetitive whinge-fest it has become? 

GW has not communicated about squatting except less than two words per lost kit in total, nor do they communicate about the book that is the first attention old armies receive in years, except "we're not telling you about it yet".

Facebook comments will always more positive, because GW deletes negative comments.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, The World Tree said:

Let them actually release the models before coming to any judgement. Bottle said himself that warscrolls have bee rewritte, is known to be a huge fan of the army and has good backgroudo n producing good rules.

We'll see. I think it is wise to expect the worst in this case, to be only slightly disappointed that it becomes close to reality.

14 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

While i agree with you on the improvements to the game and GWs communication, i think the salt comes from anxiety about what is in the way.

We got a great begining of year with several tomes, and everyone have their hopes up that their army is gona be next. Gw pumped books like crazy and then we got the Sylvaneth hicup followed by the reeeeaaallly slow release of warcry, holding the factions updates down pretty hard.

Now we are back in the last few model lines wondering if we are staying in the game or not. GW imo messed up deleting armies without a word, in peoples heads it was "old gw stuff". 

Order players are incredibly anxious even in the whatssapp communities with the removal of 30 something models (battlemages just vanished now) and the lack of information. I imagine the same goes to Ogres and Orc players as well. 

As for rumors it is been a long time since we got something.  All we had lately was Tom about the new undead and Vince about an ogre BT. 

I'm crossposting this from the Cities of Sigmar thread. Pure conjecture on my part, but I hope it helps! :) 

List of confirmed "safe" Cities of Sigmar kits from the Open Day article and photos:

• General/Battlemage on Griffon
  • Freeguild Guard
  • Freeguild Handgunners/Crossbowmen
  • Demigryph Knights
  • Pistoliers/Outriders
  • Steam Tank
  • Lumminark/Hurricanum (components used as scenery)
  • Cogsmith
  • Ironbreakers/Irondrakes
  • Nomad Prince
  • Wild Riders/Sisters of the Thorn
  • Eternal Guard/Wildwood Rangers

D_6Ca3-WsAAsf8_.jpg

Worth adding that the plastic Battlemages were on display at the Open Day as part of rules writer Sam Pearson's personal collection, while large parts of his longstanding Free Cities army created using axed and long OOP kits (Freeguild General multipart kit, Battle for Skull Pass Dwarfs) were not, so it's pretty safe to assume they're probably getting (re)repackaged as a box of two.

If we go by the kits seen on display in Sam's army, and this collection of models representing the inhabitants of the various Free Cities, originally painted and converted for Season of War: Firestorm (models that were later axed like Freeguild Archers and Swordmasters had been removed or replaced for the display), we can add the following kits to the list:

• Battlemages
  • Flagellants
  • Burricanum/Luminark (confirmed as a miniature, not scenery)
  • Runelord
  • Longbeards/Hammerers
  • Phoenix Guard
  • Shadow Warriors/Sisters of the Watch
  • Black Guard/Executioners

PLg8fpW.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Carnelian said:

Yeah I’d agree, there’s just so much repetitive negative commentary that’s not really adding anything to a discussion. 

Hopefully once all the books are updated there’ll be less of it and people can start looking forward to the future.

Bringing it back to rumors: 

- Mawtribes have now been confirmed, with rumors from various individuals indicating that BCR and Gutbusters will be confirmed. We also had dubious rumors indicating there would be some cuts to the range, with finecast particularly at risk. Replacement models for some cuts were indicated. 

- Cities of Sigmar has obviously been gutted and partial or whole factions have been removed. Wanderers, Duardin (Dispossessed + Ironweld), Dark Aelves, Humans (combined human factions) and Phoenix Guard being the survivors. The initial announcement of the book indicated there would be seven allegiance abilities. 

- Orruk Warclans will be combining Ironjawz and Bonesolitterz, each with new allegiance abilities. There will also be a third combined allegiance, presumably a mixture of the two armies. 

- Once all the above come out, we’d only have four to go (Tzeentch, Seraphon, Kharadron Overlords and STD/Everchosen/Darkosth). It would be reasonable to assume STD would receive some cuts, so I’d be prepared for that. Kharadron and Seraphon have been heavily rumored for some time to be receiving expansions, so I think them being saved for next year could actually be an indicator for that. 

• Thanks 2

Honestly most of the rumoured expansions are often just wishlists going around in circles. Most armies in AoS you can make a very logical argument that GW will add more models. Either because they are like Skaven or Seraphon with a lot of older sculpt sand older materials that need replacing with updated versions; or because they are like KO, Fyreslayesr etc... where they've just a very small roster of units and thus ample room to add more. 

In the end what overrules all is GW's production capacity. I'm sure they'd love to do a massive update to almost every force - adding new, replacing the old. 

Personally at this stage I think the biggest thing is getting a 2.0 Battletome. That not only brings the army up to par with the rest, but also makes them safe to invest into. I'd really hoped that GW would have got all of AoS onto Battletomes by Christmas, leaving only 3 or so to update from earlier Tomes. I don't think we'll get that but still hitting Christmas right now it seems we'll get there with only 4 armies to update and of them only 1 without ever having had a Tome before. The only oddity is that Slaves to Darkness ,being the army with Chaos Warriors, is really odd in that its supposed to be the big bad enemy of all for the whole game and yet its never had a major rules release through the life of AoS.

Granted Nagash has been stealing the lime light since the end of the early phase of the Realm Wars, but still Chaos needs that shiny update. 

• Like 1

Yeah I agree, having the game be fully ready for the future with all battletomes being 2.0 quality would be awesome, but still we’ve had an extremely awesome year of releases. 

Seraphon and Kharadron have been fairly consistent in the rumour about their expansions, granted they’ve been happening since both had their initial books dropped so they were bound to be right at some point haha. 

Discussing a book even before it has been released seems premature. CoS will be what it will be and now seems likely just few weeks away. Either on pre-order the 14th or the 21st depending on if Beastgrave releases with the book the 21st or goes on pre-release that day (comparing with Gotrek release the latter is most likely).

Warcry expansion was probably a bit too soon but I can see it as providing more ways to play, probably even single player or multiplayer / cooperative options. And as a cheap book that’s a good solution.

Edited by alghero81