The Rumour Thread

12 minutes ago, michu said:

Remember that they were originally from WFB, which was more like fantasy version of our Earth, so it was more justified. AoS is something different and NEW factions won't be using just one culture as their inspiration. 

They are from WFB, but they were already across cultures and time. Witch hunters look nothing like Warrior priests, who look nothing like Greatswords, who look nothing like the sad excuse of guards and crossbowmen we now have. They all have their basis in different cultures and/or times.

You could not field an Empire army in a Landsknecht setting, they would look awfully out of place.

13 minutes ago, michu said:

Remember that they were originally from WFB, which was more like fantasy version of our Earth, so it was more justified. AoS is something different and NEW factions won't be using just one culture as their inspiration. 

Fair point but I don't think that it was most important for GW to consider. I'd lean more towards creating original, not seen before concepts and maybe IP rights.

19 minutes ago, michu said:

Which is why I have ummed and erred about starting Soulblight.

I really want to, but can't help feeling the classic Gothic Vampire trope will soon be replaced by "Two-headed vampire pirates with a combined Japanese, Mesoamerican and Maori" theme, or something.

Then the original Soulblight warcrolls get dumped in Legends, and I'm down a thousand dollars and months of lost hobby time.

If you do anything "classic" - be it classic dwarfs, vampires, skeletons, elves (x3) or humans - you will probably get squatted in the future when a sort-of-similar-but-not-really "unique" army comes out as a "spiritual successor".

Edited by Kyriakin
  • Like 2

Just now, Kyriakin said:

If you do anything "classic" - be it classic dwarfs, vampires, skeletons, elves (x3) or humans - you will probably get squatted in the future when a sort-of-similar-but-not-really "unique" army comes out as a sort-of (i.e. "spiritual successor") replacement.

Which is also why one of my friends dropped his Wanderers army. I also considered a freeguild army, but even with Cities coming out, I still feel that is just a bandaid to appease the collectors for now, until they can release the new shinies. 

I firmly believe none of the classis fantasy miniatures will be considered into the future of AoS, they are just "supported" and are only there because people already paid for them, but I believe GW would just scrap them all if they could.

I would not recommend anyone to start a force which is not uniquely created for AoS, and even then support seems shaky, like Orruks being a hot mess, now receiving what sounds like a bare minimum effort release with just a book and not even an endless spell. 

It is almost unfortunate with the cities book, as that might trap some people into simply helping GW get rid of obsolete models, then after storage has been cleared, we will never see anything for these models again. Same thing happening in 40k with space marines and primaris, how many really believe we will see anything non primaris release ever again?

This design comment also further strengthens my belief that Seraphon as we know them are getting squatted, why else would the oldest and frankly completely unuseable battletome not get anything at all? Either nothing is coming or something completely new, the entire Mesoamerican theme clashes with GWs new design philosophy.

• Like 2

Question: 

are we sure that the battle tomes that haven't  been given about any information since the announcement , won’t have any endless spell and their own terrain rules???

-and if the answer is yes, where can I find the I formation?

I’ve been surfing around in the internet and haven't really found anything that Games workshop stated to be true.

Edited by Skreech Verminking

24 minutes ago, Kyriakin said:

Which is why I have ummed and erred about starting Soulblight.

I really want to, but can't help feeling the classic Gothic Vampire trope will soon be replaced by "Two-headed vampire pirates with a combined Japanese, Mesoamerican and Maori" theme, or something.

Then the original Soulblight warcrolls get dumped in Legends, and I'm down a thousand dollars and months of lost hobby time.

If you do anything "classic" - be it classic dwarfs, vampires, skeletons, elves (x3) or humans - you will probably get squatted in the future when a sort-of-similar-but-not-really "unique" army comes out as a "spiritual successor".

Okay that sounds awesome. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Question: 

are we sure that the battle tomes that haven't  been given about any information since the announcement , won’t have any endless spell and their own terrain rules???

I’ve been surfing around in the internet and haven't really found anything that Games workshop stated to be true.

All we know is that the Tomes are coming; we've had no details about spells or terrain. Most assume they should get both, though there's some greater argument that Cities might not due to how many factions there are - but then again GW had no problem making generic endless spells for all the races of the game. 

Right now we've no idea and I don't think any solid rumour information. The only thing we have is that their release is so close that GW didn't want them in the NOVA. This suggest sat least one might appear this weekend on the pre-order preview. 

13 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Question: 

You mean Orruks and Cities of Sigmar?

Warhammer Weekly from around 23:15 (Vince was at the seminar):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83cLqXZ9YDs

Edited by Kyriakin
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

I would not recommend anyone to start a force which is not uniquely created for AoS, and even then support seems shaky, like Orruks being a hot mess, now receiving what sounds like a bare minimum effort release with just a book and not even an endless spell.

Are we sure or is this just an assumption?

33 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

I firmly believe none of the classis fantasy miniatures will be considered into the future of AoS, they are just "supported" and are only there because people already paid for them, but I believe GW would just scrap them all if they could.

Agreed. OBR spells the end of LoN. May take some time but I think it's coming. I'm thinking the LoN tome was just a soup stopgap to sort out the Death alliance. The sword of Damocles is hanging over my skelly horde army and if I wanna run horde death in the future, need to look to NH.

Edited by lare2

1 hour ago, michu said:

I saw photos of infantry - their bone pauldrons are painted with their shield colour and they definitely  look like ScE.

Look 

Hide contents

image.png.40dc82bf2c8bd2f809bcf7043e5e40ce.png 

Pauldrons being the same colour as their shield is a given, I mean the entire army is based off the Morghast who have the same thing. They definitely do have a bit of a stormcast feel to them but I think how they hold their shields and weapons as well as being made of organic bone structures helps differentiate them enough. My guess is they'll probably be very similar both in physical and unit size to liberators/sequitors.

Now the real interesting thing in this picture is the guy with the sarcophagus, looks like a bunch of skeletons or maybe people holding those big plates of bones going into that pyramid on the back of it. Might be a depiction of their creation or something so my guess is that this character is some kind of priest. Or he's just the guy going around giving people their letter of notice that they're overdue on their tithe payment. Could be both really.

11 minutes ago, lare2 said:

Agreed. OBR spells the end of LoN. May take some time but I think it's coming. I'm thinking the LoN tome was just a soup stopgap to sort out the Death alliance. The sword of Damocles is having over my skelly horde army and if I wanna run horde death in the future, need to look to NH.

What do you think about the fate of kits like the Coven Throne, which are modern in terms of sculpt quality but classic in terms of aesthetics (i.e. Castlevania-esque Elizabeth Bathory vampires)?

Edited by Kyriakin

5 minutes ago, Kyriakin said:

You mean Orruks and Cities of Sigmar?

Warhammer Weekly from around 23:15 (Vince was at the seminar):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83cLqXZ9YDs

Sorry but this is just... well for me it's pathetic. If Khorne and Fyreslayers received their "Endless Spells" there is much more sense that CoS and Orruks received them in the first place. Lazy release. My firend playing Ironjawz sure will be dissapointed.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Overread said:

All we know is that the Tomes are coming; we've had no details about spells or terrain. Most assume they should get both, though there's some greater argument that Cities might not due to how many factions there are - but then again GW had no problem making generic endless spells for all the races of the game. 

Right now we've no idea and I don't think any solid rumour information. The only thing we have is that their release is so close that GW didn't want them in the NOVA. This suggest sat least one might appear this weekend on the pre-order preview. 

I think we'll know the release date of both tomes this weekend.

3 minutes ago, Aryann said:

Sorry but this is just... well for me it's pathetic. If Khorne and Fyreslayers received their "Endless Spells" there is much more sense that CoS and Orruks received them in the first place. Lazy release. My firend playing Ironjawz sure will be dissapointed.

No new plastic is bad.

I do agree that everything that did not receive new plastic will be removed. When that happens to Free People and there is no human faction I can "Counts as" anymore, I'll go over to a new game.

In retrospect, starting AoS was a mistake for me. I like making miniatures very much, but don't care for garish over the top factions. Freeguild inspires me because of the mash of history and fantasy, but if GW is not going to support it, well, I'm not welcome.

I started AoS because people told me about how GW rarely deleted rules for existing models, the Squats and AoS start being the only exceptions in over 30 years, and because the earlier poor communication was supposed to be better.

That proved both untrue, but it seems mostly after may, which is when I started.

If GW deletes my army, I don't feel inspired to go for new ones, I feel inspired to start a Frostgrave group, find 9th age people or find Saga players, and will keep it to Underworld for GW games.

• LOVE IT! 1

27 minutes ago, Kyriakin said:

What do you think about the fate of kits like the Coven Throne, which are modern in terms of sculpt quality but classic in terms of aesthetics (i.e. Castlevania-esque Elizabeth Bathory vampires)?

Mortis Engine to NH (where it belongs), Coven Throne/Bloodseeker Palanquin and VLoZD to updated Soulblight? Morghasts to OBR. Mortarchs and Nagash free to join the others (NH, GK, OBR, and any others incoming) as and when they feel, having an overarching role?

Looking at what GW lists as LoN, anything ghosty (spirit hosts, etc.) to NH, anything fleshy (vargheists, etc.) to GK. That only leaves deathrattle, deadwalkers and a lot of old vamps. Could easily see them being squatted. 

This is all theory based though mind... I really don't want it either. Suppose I'm just feeling pessimistic.  

3 minutes ago, lare2 said:

Mortis Engine to NH (where it belongs), Coven Throne/Bloodseeker Palanquin and VLoZD to updated Soulblight? Morghasts to OBR. Mortarchs and Nagash free to join the others (NH, GK, OBR, and any others incoming) as and when they feel, having an overarching role?

That's what I mean.

The aesthetics of the Coven Throne are so classically vampiric that it would almost force the aesthetic of anything joining it back towards classic Soulblight.

Assuming the kit isn't removed, of course.

Edited by Kyriakin
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

I do agree that everything that did not receive new plastic will be removed. When that happens to Free People and there is no human faction I can "Counts as" anymore, I'll go over to a new game.

In retrospect, starting AoS was a mistake for me. I like making miniatures very much, but don't care for garish over the top factions. Freeguild inspires me because of the mash of history and fantasy, but if GW is not going to support it, well, I'm not welcome.

I started AoS because people told me about how GW rarely deleted rules for existing models, the Squats and AoS start being the only exceptions in over 30 years, and because the earlier poor communication was supposed to be better.

That proved both untrue, but it seems mostly after may, which is when I started.

If GW deletes my army, I don't feel inspired to go for new ones, I feel inspired to start a Frostgrave group, find 9th age people or find Saga players, and will keep it to Underworld for GW games.

I understand why you don't like AoS, there are a lot of other games that can take the mantle of old Fantasy:9th edition, KoW, Warhammer Project Army, etc... I still believe that free people are going to be updated with an AoS aesthetics, and become more like this than this.

Edited by Beliman

30 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

You were lied to. GW has removed rules for many, many models and ranges of models over the years. That's not even counting the things that were shifted heavily yet still technically in the range (like netters and squig handlers being two on a base or clubbers that you can 'count as' (blech!!!) other weapons now.

I love GW, but their models are definitely buyer beware.

(Gosh darn it, how do you break up a quote from one poster in this forum?!?!?)

"will keep it to Underworld for GW games.”

Careful. There is a disturbing rumor / movement to ditch the season one stuff. Even a new game like this may soon see you having to throw chunks of what you spent money on in the bin.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Kyriakin said:

The aesthetics of the Coven Throne are so classically vampiric that it would almost force the aesthetic of anything joining it back towards classic Soulblight.

A vamp force would lean towards an elite force as well, a slot now taken up by OBR. This kit does feel like the only problematic one... the Mortis Engine should be kept though as it would work so well in NH. Who knows what GW has in mind. 

18 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

You were lied to. GW has removed rules for many, many models and ranges of models over the years. That's not even counting the things that were shifted heavily yet still technically in the range (like netters and squig handlers being two on a base or clubbers that you can 'count as' (blech!!!) other weapons now.

I love GW, but their models are definitely buyer beware.

(Gosh darn it, how do you break up a quote from one poster in this forum?!?!?)

"will keep it to Underworld for GW games.”

Careful. There is a disturbing rumor / movement to ditch the season one stuff. Even a new game like this may soon see you having to throw chunks of what you spent money on in the bin.

Then I was lied to, or people did not remember those bits. Memory does not always work well.

About Underworld, I have only one season one warband, but I mainly like it as a self contained game, where I have enough stuff for friends to play at my home. If it does not have longevity, I will abandon that as well, unless I like the models, of course. Now these being cards, I can understand the need to errata, remove or rework specific cards. That happens with Magic as well. If that remains limited, I have no issue with it. If entire warbands are removed/disallowed, well, that is a different, and more sordid tale.

I am not looking for a game where models are dumped a left and right. And yes, more research, or just starting four months later would have preempted me from playing. I would not have had these 

32 minutes ago, Beliman said:

I understand why you don't like AoS, there are a lot of other games that can take the mantle of old Fantasy:9th edition, KoW, Warhammer Project Army, etc... I still believe that free people are going to be updated with an AoS aesthetics, and become more like this than this.

If Free People do not get new plastic, they are doomed.

Moulds are the only thing GW seems to value highly. Rules are updated each year, Lore is extremely fickle, but moulds are not.

As for the pictures, I happen to like the first one. It is labelled Empire Demons, so it is a bit of an old one.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I wouldn't say you were lied to per se. The vast majority of models GW released are still useable and the communication is indeed worlds better than it used to be.

It's just that with AoS GW is still in the process of switching from an old game to a new game. They tried the hammer method before and realised it alienated people too much (I'm still surprised it surprised them...), so now they are trying a slow and barely noticeable approach. It's the age old debate of whether one prefers the bandaid to be ripped off in one go or not and there simply is no perfect answer.

6 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

If Free People do not get new plastic, they are doomed.

Moulds are the only thing GW seems to value highly. Rules are updated each year, Lore is extremely fickle, but moulds are not.

As for the pictures, I happen to like the first one. It is labelled Empire Demons, so it is a bit of an old one.

Most of the AoS armies have not had many new models. GW has a limited set of resources to make new things and they cannot update all the armies with new models at once. Right now the primary focus is cleaning up teh listings and getting armies with Battletomes so that they have up to date rules (heck so that they have rules in the first place) and can be played. Along the way we have lost some models; partly because GW is removing some undesirable models; partly because some armies got messed around. 

AoS has been freakishly messy like that and its something GW has never done before and is unlikely to ever do again. Seriously the launch of AoS was an utter mess that GW should never have allowed to happen ;but they did. 

Most armies generally don't lose anything massive like we've seen. Most of the time models get replaced with new sculpts and most of the losses are typically special characters which come and go. Though even then many can easily count as new versions or such. By and large GW doesn't retire things, AoS has been highly abnormal; but the main expectation is that once arimes have battletomes they are "safe". Furthermore they should continue to see updates. I can't see GW dropping humans from AoS at all. 

• Like 1