The Rumour Thread

Just now, Sleboda said:

I just can't believe we care about this stuff in a fantasy world where ghosts float around the battlefield, walking trees teleport though non-walking trees, and gigantic piles of fat can walk around and swing magical bells.

Rule of cool should win.

I am a bit new to Warhammer, so maybe my particular sense of realism still needs to grind away. I play in LARP, where people use high fantasy stuff, but they still need to be able to function, and when I make costumes, it always needs to be in the front of my mind.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

I am a bit new to Warhammer, so maybe my particular sense of realism still needs to grind away. I play in LARP, where people use high fantasy stuff, but they still need to be able to function, and when I make costumes, it always needs to be in the front of my mind.

No disrespect intended, but no they don't use high fantasy stuff. I've known plenty of LARPers, and a healthy dose of imagination is a trait in them all. 

None of them ever flew on gossamer wings, threw actual fireballs, or deftly swung great swords wider and taller than they themselves are.

I understand that verisimilitude helps believability, but man, these are just really cool little plastic dudes.

8 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

No disrespect intended, but no they don't use high fantasy stuff. I've known plenty of LARPers, and a healthy dose of imagination is a trait in them all. 

None of them ever flew on gossamer wings, threw actual fireballs, or deftly swung great swords wider and taller than they themselves are.

I understand that verisimilitude helps believability, but man, these are just really cool little plastic dudes.

Actually, in my group quite impressive fireballs go down, we use staves with electric in them, producing about a 3m flame when the spell goes off.

But it does seem definitions of high fantasy differ, or maybe they have shifted over the years. Something with orcs, golems, elves and magic is high fantasy to me, while historic inspired games with some healing and rituals to receive blessings or visions are low fantasy to me.

Comic book aesthetics is another layer alltogether.

• Like 1

While I'm in the "excited" camp for Ossiarch Bonereapers, I'm in the "super bumbed out" camp that apparently Warclans and CoS won't get endless spells!  I get that not everyone likes them, but I REALLY wanted an endless spell depicting the foot/fist/toof/headbutt of Gork/Mork!  I'm super disappointed that won't be happening.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

35 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

This pic is not from me and sizes won‘t match at all since the constructs are way bigger than ordinary skeletons. Just to show the difference:

EEEEADBE-4A1B-4927-BB95-6742B6772D1A.jpeg.9b45fde93e525b3971f6995c3243ab66.jpeg

from somewhere on belloflostsouls

those may not fit, but if they were theoretically space marine size, then there are endless space marine bits and heads to choose from for these blokes!

8 hours ago, Aryann said:

I pointed exactly at old Skeletons Warriors. Nobody uses Sepulchar Guard as their battleline but many use Skeleton Warriors. It's like with forced old battleline with case of Stabbas for GG or Witch Elves for DoK, which I mentioned...

+++ MOD EDIT +++

No, most people  use these ones https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Deathrattle-Skeleton-Warriors-2017

Not the ones that come in a box of five which says "Warhammer" on it and have square bases

Unrelated but one of the things I'm interested in with these is that it's maybe the first full army that 'Eavy Metal have painted using NMM techniques. Just an observation. I think they will look quite a bit different with  a less comicsy paint job, which dosen't accentuate their stupid faces.  They're like Michael Bay's Skeletons.

Edited by Nos

I have to say this was a bit of an odd reveal day overall.

Starting with Warcry I expected to see the last two warbands revealed that have silhouetted images in the core book, not an entire new expansion already.  I am excited for monsters and potentially for mercenaries but to already start bringing in heroes and other forces seems to bode towards massive bloat in the future as in the discussion they said they have a 3 year plan for expansions and additions.  Also odd they have the War Queen as the poster character which may mean Dark Oath are not as much of a thing as everyone assumed... hard to tell what is up with Slaves/undivided Chaos .

As was mentioned earlier, Vince from Warhammer Weekly, who was present at the panel, said that they had already confirmed Ogre Maw Tribes Battletome which they hadn't but was assumed.   We know it is coming and it is exciting but so few details it is hard to make much of all that at the moment.

Orruks and Cities are coming so soon they are not worth talking about?  Seems like something really important to talk about!  What is going on with these?  What can we expect with army structure, etc.  Any new named characters?  I am ok without devoted Endless Spells and Terrain and what they said about new ways to use existing stuff is all fine (a number of Malign Sorcery E.S. had a very Orukky feel to them anyway) and Vince's idea of Destruction actually being able to destroy stuff would be a great way to go but not entirely sure what Cities will actually be like in terms of army construction, abilities, or fun level.

The new Ossiarchs are a mixed bag.  I love the cavalry, war machine, and stand alone heroes.  I am OK with the infantry.  Absolutely HATE the Tyranid feel of the four armed guys.  A one second glimpse and I was NOPE (and they are on the cover).   Vince said a flying unit was confirmed in the discussion and we know Coffin Carrier guy is coming (by the way in the video you can see the hanging heads of kings on hooks Rumor Engine is part of this model... not Ogres as I was thinking) but curious what else.  Some sort of Giant or other massive Behemoth construct would be awesome.  Also hard to believe that every single rumor about a strong shooting presence was wrong so I am hoping some archers/missile troops are yet to be revealed.   This army lends itself well to conversions galore so even the worst offenders of aesthetic assault can be reformed into more pleasing shapes.

I was hoping they were not so heavily tied to Nagash but oh well.  Vince implied that the Mortarch IS the escapee from the Forbidden Power but as others have stated, a bit disappointing if so just because it does not fit with the narrative given in that book and how it cliff-hanged the entity escaping.

So from all this we can speculate:

Orruk Tribes and Cities of Sigmar are September release - no new models, no spells, perhaps old terrain repackaged for Cities.

New Death faction Ossiarchs preorder in October - big release, still unknown number of units so may stretch in Nov.

Maw Tribes now confirmed but with zero info to go on.  Might be anywhere between next week (unlikely) to December.

Battle Box with Maw Tribes also now in question with no mention of it.  Sort of odd disjointed approach to discussing these non-Ossiarch releases, especially if a box is on the horizon that contains said Ossiarchs.

No mention of Chaos anything.  Plate is already super full.  Not sure if they will try to sneak another Tome in before the end of the year but you can be pretty assured that it will NOT be the guys that need the biggest overhaul and perhaps extensive miniature expansion if one comes.   

Depending how fast the battletomes come out I think there's room at present for one more Tome after Mawtribes. 

Slaves/everchosen would be the best as it will (at that point) but the only army without ever having had a tome EVER through the whole AoS period and hitting christmas with every army with a Tome would be fantastic. Also whilst many speculate, their range is still quite large and can survive without any new models being released. 

Tzeentch could get one as it would be a minor update. KO and Seraphon are also in the same boat; room to add stuff but can easily get away with just a rules update. All 3 of these are potentially small updates (Tome, spells, terrain or even just a Tome). 

Whilst cases can be made for updates and additions to most armies in AOS, we are at a point where really most of them, provided they don't lose a a swath of models, can go through a basic update of rules and come out strong and decent. 

DarkOath - honestly I think the fact that they've got the belt-buckle design and the overall design of some of the Warbands - like the Untamed Beasts - suggests that DarkOath might well have started the design process for Warbands; or even that they were going to have one but GW decided to refocus. 

1 hour ago, JackStreicher said:

This pic is not from me and sizes won‘t match at all since the constructs are way bigger than ordinary skeletons. Just to show the difference:

That saves them as well as saving me from nose-grin-skeleton ptsd

3 hours ago, FractalRain said:

Ah, but the realms being what they are allow the possibility of other substances of bone.  Think of petrified skeletons - they have a wide range of colors.  Perhaps the bones were taken/tithed from certain areas in a realm and when left out were transformed into another mineral/color?  Perhaps the creatures the bones are from (stonetusk creature has stone skeleton) have bones made from another substance.  Lots of ways to justify it in AoS.

Katakros does say "ensorcelled ivory" so basically a wizard did it and that works for me!

Interesting you mention the stonehorns--could that be the basis for a potential Mawtribes-Ossiarch battlebox? Nagash wants only thr coolest bones, and the Ogors won't give 'em up? 😄

2 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

That would be SO much better!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sleboda said:

I just can't believe we care about this stuff in a fantasy world where ghosts float around the battlefield, walking trees teleport though non-walking trees, and gigantic piles of fat can walk around and swing magical bells.

Rule of cool should win.

Obviously we're all here because we enjoy fantasy. That's a given but some people really appreciate fantasy grounded in reality...

Ghosts float because they're not tied to our physics based plane of existence....

Walking trees "teleport" through a radically accelerated growth and breakdown cycle in their genetic make up...

Gigantic fat piles can walk around because, well, that fat pile is tied to a muscle system....

A good portion of us want to look at these fantastical things and have them be believed in our minds that it "could" work. 

My personal appreciation of this kind of art is heavily linked to this. I like "believably " functional fantasy. 

To each their own but what one fan finds cool that rules others will breakdown in there minds that it doesn't work and isn't cool. 

Room for all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Rule of cool should win.

Agreed. Age of Sigmar has long since been grounded in any kind of logic or reality. That's what the Old World was. But the Mortal Realms are a universe of bonkers magic and unpredictability. It's mythical fantasy where anything goes. If anyone expects otherwise, it might not be the setting for them (or at least accept that "realism" is not a thing here).

Seeing how loaded is the end of this year (war cry, planes, sisters, SM, new death, CoS+Orruks,...)I'm more and more pessimistic about my so long awaited StD/Everchosen battletome for this year, meanin that the remaining chaos tome for 2019 is probably Tzench.

Not that bad considered that I just started Thousand Sons and giving up Magnus for a Lord of change (for both 40k and AoS). As a result, I'll have 75% of my army already ok...(30 Tzangors + LoC + 2 daemon prince + all my stuff from StD, just missing some sky fire/and characters then lol)

• Sad 1

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but I think the grinning faces on the infantry might be masks.  Have a look at the catapult crew, from behind it looks like they're wearing masks over normal skulls.  So maybe there're alternate heads without masks like the cavalry's in the box?

I like the Bonereapers, they look pretty cool and far-out, the sort of whacky thing Nagash would do to pettily one-up Sigmar and his Stormcast.  I'll definitely be picking some up to go with my Death collection.

Colour scheme-wise, I'm thinking of painting them with some more metallic colours, especially on the faces if they are masks.  I am looking forward to seeing the different colour schemes people come up with!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Carstein said:

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but I think the grinning faces on the infantry might be masks.  Have a look at the catapult crew, from behind it looks like they're wearing masks over normal skulls.  So maybe there're alternate heads without masks like the cavalry's in the box?

I like the Bonereapers, they look pretty cool and far-out, the sort of whacky thing Nagash would do to pettily one-up Sigmar and his Stormcast.  I'll definitely be picking some up to go with my Death collection.

Colour scheme-wise, I'm thinking of painting them with some more metallic colours, especially on the faces if they are masks.  I am looking forward to seeing the different colour schemes people come up with!

Yeah, I've noticed that they are at the very least are made to resemble mask. Doesn't really matter if they are or not considering their entire bodies are made from sculpted bone either way.

But I think it's a cool nod to them being Nagashes "counter-Stormcast". And I think painting the faces in a set of colour as if they where mask would really change their vibe.

I actually already did a quick and dirty coloring in gimp to test some things out. Most ideas need an overhaul but I think I'll do the eyes and face this way.

colortest_01.jpg.847660a1f1bad7764b1750638b5dd5ae.jpg

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Carstein said:

Oh wow, I'm really digging the red skull, changes the vibe of the model I think.  It looks completely unhinged, which I guess it probably would be if Nagash "Frankensteined" a load of souls together and stuck them in an artifically created body!

Yeah, I've also added painted on pupils, which really ramps up the unhinged-freak-factor.

I think a good approach to these guys will be to do them majorly in some variation of bone, but mix in other elements, seeing how they are constructs any given individualpart could be done in stone, wood, metal, ceramic, shardglass, other Realmstone, like amber bone from Ghur, or whatever else you can think of. There is also the possibility of decoration, the bone could be painted, glazed, jewel encrusted or covered with gold leaf (with the opportunity for some unusual battle damage).

The head or just mask/face is of course a standout target for these sort of shenanigans, being such a natural focal point and these particular guys most unusual and controversial feature.

It's almost poetic, so many factions run around with their faces, masks and helmets shaped or painted to resemble skulls in Warhammer and here we get these skull headed bone guys with faces shaped to resemble the living.

• Like 5