The Rumour Thread

The smiling faces of the infantry remind me of samurai oni masks... I'm guessing that was intentional. I also think a different paint scheme might be better for this army... I love the look of the one painted black on the mortarch's base. That scheme might help the basic infantry. 

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Overread said:

3) I take the like/dislike line as being quite positive overall. I can't think of a single army everyone likes, and often strong like/dislike lines can breed a good solid fanbase. Also I think that peoples impressions of models go through several phases of interaction. Artwork sparks the imagination; photos of the store versions crushes some; then eyes open wide again once people hold and see the models and start to see alternative paint schemes and ideas. Plus we don't have much lore on these so getting that rolled out will likely spark some more enthusiasm. 

This reaction is basically the same as when the Kharadron Overlords came out.  The community was deeply divided between the "we love sky dwarves!!!" proponents, and the "keep Squats out of AoS!!!" crowd.  

Fast forward a couple of years, and the line is a popular seller that is just part of the varied look that makes up the AoS tapestry.  Not every army is for everyone, and that's actually a good thing!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Overread said:

Their "multiple souls in one body" is going to be interesting to see how that plays out in the lore. Esp for units like the four headed constructs where they don't just have multiple souls but full established personalities melded together into a single warrior. 

This pulls on some of what came up in the Soul Wars novel. Sigmar is raising up souls, expanding on their potential with the inadvertent cost of their selves, while Nagash is more explict about using souls as resources, stripping out the unnecessary bits and moulding them like clay to fit what he wants of them. It's kind of a matter of degree in some regards - Arkhan's 'both of them are the same/two sides of a coin' is a little disinegnuous but there's an element of truth - and cramming multiple souls into a warrior-construct is like the extreme end of that.

• Like 1

The more criticisms I read that the Ossiarchs are ridiculous ,off and badly proportioned, the more that part of them grows on me.

Not because I like to be contrary, but because it is just so fitting for Nagash. So the big Skelledaddy wants his own elites to face Stormcast and Chaos Warriors. And what does he create? Dignified imposing and expressionless Statues? Terrifying amalganations that have "body horror" written all over them? No, that would be "Death Stormcast" or "Death Chaos Warriors".

Nagash is the guy who thinks wearing a huge pope hat of bones is dignified, the guy who plasters his skeletal mug on everything and thinks it glorious. He creates these things. Pompous mini Nagashes with clunky proportions and goofy not-quite faces, the sort of thing a child thinks edgy. The toy soldiers of an ancient yet immature megalomaniac. They are grotesque and bizarre, but not remotely in the sense Chaos is.

They aren't all that scary, they aren't horror. They look like maybe they where supposed to be, but Nagash just doesn't get people, how could he get what makes them shake in their boots?

Heck, this being Death, they may be elite by that factions standart, but I doubt they'll measure up individually to Stormcast or Chaos Warriors. They aren't Deaths equivalent to the super soldiers. They are the cheap knock-off product.

And I love that. It sets Death apart from the other GAs and the forces of Undeath in other settings and firmly establishes the GA as Nagashes in all his unhinged ill-advised pompous glory.

• Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 6

I'm liking these Deathcast Deathturnals and look forward to playing against them, it's a pretty nice-looking range and it's great that Nagash is getting an "I'm so angry at Sigmar I'm literally going to copy his plan but do it EVEN HARDER" army.

Also, I'm a fan of the bone construct look - it's a good fantasy army angle that they've not used yet, and visually striking. Looking forward to beating them into the dirt with my angry trees. :3

@Rogue Explorator I'd agree that Nagash is basically a Saturday Morning Cartoon villain, like Skeletor or maybe Cobra Commander. I always kind of imagine him with that kind of voice anyway. He's on-the-table scary, but otherwise his doomsday nonsense gets thwarted by rats and stuff.

Edited by overtninja
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Rogue Explorator said:

The more criticisms I read that the Ossiarchs are ridiculous ,off and badly proportioned, the more that part of them grows on me.

Not because I like to be contrary, but because it is just so fitting for Nagash. So the big Skelledaddy wants his own elites to face Stormcast and Chaos Warriors. And what does he create? Dignified imposing and expressionless Statues? Terrifying amalganations that have "body horror" written all over them? No, that would be "Death Stormcast" or "Death Chaos Warriors".

Nagash is the guy who thinks wearing a huge pope hat of bones is dignified, the guy who plasters his skeletal mug on everything and thinks it glorious. He creates these things. Pompous mini Nagashes with clunky proportions and goofy not-quite faces, the sort of thing a child thinks edgy. The toy soldiers of an ancient yet immature megalomaniac. They are grotesque and bizarre, but not remotely in the sense Chaos is.

They aren't all that scary, they aren't horror. They look like maybe they where supposed to be, but Nagash just doesn't get people, how could he get what makes them shake in their boots?

Heck, this being Death, they may be elite by that factions standart, but I doubt they'll measure up individually to Stormcast or Chaos Warriors. They aren't Deaths equivalent to the super soldiers. They are the cheap knock-off product.

And I love that. It sets Death apart from the other GAs and the forces of Undeath in other settings and firmly establishes the GA as Nagashes in all his unhinged ill-advised pompous glory.

You know what, this post actually make me like them. They might have saturday morning cartoon villain style, but yeah, nagash IS this type of villain, with his bone hat and the rest of over the top attire. Now I still think they carry on the spirit of Skeletor, but your take on it made me okay with this :D

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Aryann said:

Orpheon Katakros  reminds me of 300's Xerxes.

xerxes.jpg.523c526a05f386e177137a1476ee4b78.jpg

model1.jpg.61172b213cab037b49e822904e21d831.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's the kind of feel they were going for and if it is they nailed it. I'm really curious about his rules, I have a feeling he'll be an absolute beast on the battlefield. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Dirtnaps said:

I'm pretty sure that's the kind of feel they were going for and if it is they nailed it. I'm really curious about his rules, I have a feeling he'll be an absolute beast on the battlefield. 

We know a bit about how fighting him goes. Essentially he‘s a multi-stage bossfight with an upgrading instead of degrading profile (think Skarbrand). First the scroll guy fights, then the bird guy, then banner guy, samurai guy and finally the Mortarch himself when he‘s down to his last wounds apparently, according to Vince Venturella from Warhammer Weekly (he was the one who also confirmed Morghast as part of the faction).

• Like 2

Edit: One last wish for the Ossiarchs: They absolutely do need chariots and archers. They already have a spiritual follower of half the classic skeleton units of ancient warhammer. Bone Chariots and skeleton archers are missing though. Can you imagine how spectacularly silly a reimagination of the old bone chariots crewed by these would look?

36 minutes ago, overtninja said:

@Rogue Explorator I'd agree that Nagash is basically a Saturday Morning Cartoon villain, like Skeletor or maybe Cobra Commander. I always kind of imagine him with that kind of voice anyway. He's on-the-table scary, but otherwise his doomsday nonsense gets thwarted by rats and stuff.

Yeah, Skaven are the perfect Nemesis for Nagash. They are the only ones who can compete with each others hybris and mastery of going through with excessively bad ideas. At least Gloomspite know they aren't the big shots. Nagash thinks he is Sigmars number one enemy and that he can easily outwit the Chaos gods. And he can't even keep his recurring pest problem under control.

Edited by Rogue Explorator

2 minutes ago, calcysimon said:

🤤 I am dreaming or maybe this is a giant construct of something

Screenshot_20190829_130607_com.android.chrome.jpg

Saw this too, didn’t want to to get my hopes too much so assumed it was either a wall/ terrain, active spell or something like that, or maybe just some generic artwork as filler.....but as a  hopeful I’d want a giant half gargant half centipede bone construct with an exotic tomb or warmachine 😂

• Thanks 1

I mean Nagash is a fantastic blend of nihilistic mortal-turned-demigod with designs on becoming a universal force, nearly the only being who can look the chaos gods in the eye without flinching, the true totalitarian (" Only when the cosmos is united under a singular consciousness, with every spirit and body bent towards the directives of that consciousness, will he be satisfied "), a schizophrenic god-king with a thousand different theads of grasping consciousness, the coldly monstrous masterplanner with the colossal arrogance to do what he says is necessity (" I spread it over centuries, and time is on my side. "), a more interesting implementation of many of the ideas behind the 40k Emperor...

but then he's also an incredibly petty saturday morning villain who nurses grudges, lashes out at his subordinates and howls curses to the sky when his evil scheme is foiled by literal rats. That's why he's the best character in AoS.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 2

1 hour ago, Aryann said:

Orpheon Katakros  reminds me of 300's Xerxes.

xerxes.jpg.523c526a05f386e177137a1476ee4b78.jpg

model1.jpg.61172b213cab037b49e822904e21d831.jpg

There is some resemblance, indeed.

He reminds me also of Athena:

320px-Minerva_by_Simart_-_Magasin_pittor

She was not only a goddess of wisdom, but also of warfare, particulary of strategy: "Athena represented the disciplined, strategic side of war, in contrast to her brother Ares, the patron of violence, bloodlust, and slaughter—"the raw force of war." (  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athena )

4 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

Just because I can't work it out, wasn't this big boy meant to be someone from the world that was?

I don't think it was ever explicitly said. He was supposed to be Nagash's ancient ally, but the Old World thing might've been only speculation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Panzer said:

Well different people, different opinions. Nothing to argue here.
However as someone who likes the classic Skeleton look and would agree that the old models look boring I can say that these don't look boring for someone who actually likes that look. ;)

Yes, of course.

"Boring" is shaddy word. You can use it for their design, for their pose, for their sculpt, etc... or just for the whole miniatures. Everyone gives more importance to whatever they want of course. 

Btw, I don't have any problems with classic skellies.

I think I might take the plunge with this new death faction. I really like the "standing army" theme of them, even though I have a nighthaunt army, those guys just feel a bit scattered and without purpose, which makes sense from their fluff, but I like the organized warriors, heavy cavalry and artellery support we have already seen here, much more structure. It hopefully feels more like warfare than skirmishing, if that makes sense.

The foot soldiers remind me a lot of sylvaneth revenants really, sort of the same profile and size by the looks of it. I  fully expected an army from death to match the "over the top" armies of order, chaos and destruction, skeleton warriors is just not an army Nagash would be satisfied with, when going toe to toe with Stormcast, Ironjawz brutes and Archaons Varanguard, these guys fit into this new AoS over the top fighters a bit more. I expected them to match the visuals of the morghasts so that surely came to pass, even more when seeing the models compared to the artwork, where that did not get across as much.

I do not think they look goofy, but there are some missed opportunities as others have pointed out, but I will wait and see the remaining models and some other paint schemes. I could see them looking menacing in all mineral or even metal colors, or mix with maybe obsidian or maprble would look cool and would emphazise the frankenstein constructs even more.

The catapult is awesome but looks like a nightmare to transport, which also goes for the mortarch, who is insanely cool otherwise. I do not have a problem with him being a static character in scenery, and he seems to be a clear indicator of a more defensive army, in contrast to nighthaunt and flesheaters.

I hope to see a few more unit variations, a flying unit, a behemoth or maybe ranged infantry to supplement the ranged capabilities of the catapult and force the enemy to advance on you.

LOn another note I am greatly concerned about the coming Orruk warclans book as an IJ player. It sounds like a super minimum effort release, without even terrain or spells, for armies which by themselves have an extreme lack of variety. IJ and BS do not even compliment each other model wise, as it is just mixing in more boyz on foot or boyz on boars, they double down on the same stuff and fills no holes. No flyers, no warmachines, no behemoths except the MK, no fast cavalry, not even a warboss on a mount. 

My expectatins are very low, so I guess I can only be positively surprised and if not, then that is just more to save up for our new dead overlords.

• Like 2

GUYS I've fixed the biggest problem of the immobile mortach

please excuse the poor photoshopping; but --

dxQfmTV.jpg

Comparing the scales and assuming the guys on the mortach base are the same size as the ones on the catapult it should be pretty doable with some chopping and modification! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • LOVE IT! 3

Okay yes yes the new Bonecast Eternals have "me and the boys" faces, and their Mortarch is the most metal thing since Lemmy. 

You're all missing the point.

Warhammer Legends is getting points values for matched play. Within 1-2 years time, I predict a Horus Heresy-style Warhammer Legends ruleset and setting. Expected taglines:

"Fight in the World-that-Was."

"Play your Total Warhammer campaign, but with better graphics and shorter turn times!" 

"Your cake: have it, and eat it too!"

I am legitimately happy about this. Thorgrim Grudgebearer shall march again. The dwarfs endure!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Overread said:

GUYS I've fixed the biggest problem of the immobile mortach

please excuse the poor photoshopping; but --

dxQfmTV.jpg

Comparing the scales and assuming the guys on the mortach base are the same size as the ones on the catapult it should be pretty doable with some chopping and modification! 

See now if anything that actually accentuates the Wayne Barlowe look of this dude. Check this painting of a demon commander atop a Demolisher and tell me you don't see the similarity: https://i0.wp.com/waynebarlowe.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/barlowe_demolishers.jpg

I'm banging this drum but all of the moulded bone and stretched skin stuff is similar to Barlowe's Hell work. Same for the colour schemes in fact, apart from the midnight blue and green. https://waynebarlowe.com/artwork/hell/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Overread said:

3) I take the like/dislike line as being quite positive overall. I can't think of a single army everyone likes, and often strong like/dislike lines can breed a good solid fanbase. Also I think that peoples impressions of models go through several phases of interaction. Artwork sparks the imagination; photos of the store versions crushes some; then eyes open wide again once people hold and see the models and start to see alternative paint schemes and ideas. Plus we don't have much lore on these so getting that rolled out will likely spark some more enthusiasm. 

Actually as far as I can tell the community is pretty much split on these, 50% like it and 50% dislike them heavily (also conerning German Forums and including international  fansites). I don't see how that is good for the game (and I can't remember a release apart from the initial Stromcast launch that had a similar response).
I am myself rather split on these. The HEADS these damn HEADS are just the worst! (the Samurai guy besides the Mortarch has a cool head which makes him the only Construct warrior apart from the Mortarch himself that doesn't look goofy due to a broad smile and a bone-nose)

I wonder if these models can be safed with a good paintjob or some conversions (guess I'll make alternate Heads on Shapeways once they're release).

Imo they should've focussed more on the Nagashi-Armour parts than on over-designing the whole construct part (which makes them look like giant Insectoids, which is nice but doesn't fit a death faction)

Edited by JackStreicher

4 hours ago, Panzer said:

See people with ridiculous strawman arguments on the rise.

You are comparing old and outdated models with completely new up to date models. A better comparison would be the Sepulchral Guard which don't look generic/boring at all:

Even better than that would be to recognize that the new models are not skeletons. They are constructs.

The whole army echos Nagash's ability to warp bone into shapes of his choosing, according to his whim. It's why there is a bone tithe at all. The bones are used to construct soldiers, which are then infused with (multiple) souls, giving them animus (and protecting those heroic souls from being stolen by Sigmar - which may be a major factor in Nagash's desire to build this army).

The only thing they have in common with skeletons is also a thing in common with orruks, humans, and elves - they have bones somewhere in or on their bodies.

• LOVE IT! 2