The Rumour Thread

1 minute ago, JackStreicher said:

Just google medical codpiece, those had ridiculous sizes.

oh no need, I've seen and touched plenty of medieval junk defenders. I seem to remember Henry VIII's one, currently stored in the Tower of London, is a particularly priapic triumph!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

- the mortarch: this is my biggest disappointment.  GW wanted something new: they did him in a scenery rather than mounted. The miniature is nice. But the concept is weird: we are on a battlefield: moving a scenery is bad. We want dynamism. And a major character, the leader of the army MUST stand upon all his fellows. It'll be hard for me to move this scenery across the battlefield.  If GW wanted something different from other mortarch, they should have done something like a majectis charriot or a platform monster but not a moving half column+stairs!! Super bad concept on the battlefield.

Out of curiosity, do you feel the same about the Morathi model?

Personally I don’t mind the scenic bases like this. Models are all just a snapshot of the character at a specific time. If he didn’t have the base, it’s not like he’s constantly going to be in that pose, either. The scenery isn’t actually moving around the battlefield, just like the other models aren’t actually moving around frozen in one pose. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JPjr said:

oh no need, I've seen and touched plenty of medieval junk defenders. I seem to remember Henry VIII's one, currently stored in the Tower of London, is a particularly priapic triumph!

🤣🤣

**medieval  not medical, stupid Autocorrect 

Edited by JackStreicher

I'm glad they've gone for something OTT and epic for the Mortarch, I think the Lady Olynder model is great for instance BUT when you actually see it in the plastic and alongside other models from the NH range she's actually a little underwhelming in terms of size/grandeur.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

the mortarch: this is my biggest disappointment.  GW wanted something new: they did him in a scenery rather than mounted. The miniature is nice. But the concept is weird: we are on a battlefield: moving a scenery is bad. We want dynamism. And a major character, the leader of the army MUST stand upon all his fellows. It'll be hard for me to move this scenery across the battlefield.  If GW wanted something different from other mortarch, they should have done something like a majectis charriot or a platform monster but not a moving half column+stairs!! Super bad concept on the battlefield.

First of all I wanna say I’m loving this new army and thus I disagree with most of the complaints, but this one has a valid point and I agree.

Not that I don’t like him, I love him, but he would be great on a chariot. And speaking of which, I believe this army needs chariots. They would look crazy!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JPjr said:

I'm glad they've gone for something OTT and epic for the Mortarch, I think the Lady Olynder model is great for instance BUT when you actually see it in the plastic and alongside other models from the NH range she's actually a little underwhelming in terms of size/grandeur.

I feel like Lady Olynder shines primarily through a good paintjob instead.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JPjr said:

It is believed he had syphilis, hence why the enormous cod piece.

• Like 1

There's a lot to say about this preview.

- First of all, as a  Darkoath fan ... the apparence and use of the Marakarrr ( Darkoath  Warqueen) on the book and on the preview image is highly frustrating ... as we still have 0 info about this supposed faction ...

- Same a bunch of you guys, there's something weird that I can't describe about the new Ossiarch miniatures. I think it's proportions or something, but it feels to me like something is a bit off.

Then again, I'll judge when I see them in stores or on the table top, with different paint schemes. That's the only way I can really tell what I feel.

Not sure why people are comparing the foot soldiers to skeletons. They're not the risen bodies of the dead. Think of them more like if you built a robot then put some AI in it. The AI takes over the host it was given. These guys are supposed to be more of a proper military organization for Nagash and not some trash you raise from the ground to do all your work for you. They're not beefy skeletons but constructed war machines with the souls of trained professional soldiers  

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, Still-young said:

Out of curiosity, do you feel the same about the Morathi model?

Morathis is ALONE and super dynamic. The little piece of scenic is...just little.

Here, the Mortarch IS a scenic piece and the character is way more little than the whole scene. Add to this several standing soldiers. 

Theu should have done a superb chariot alongside this AMAZING catapult!!! Once again, a missed oportunity.

4 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Morathis is ALONE and super dynamic. The little piece of scenic is...just little.

Here, the Mortarch IS a scenic piece and the character is way more little than the whole scene. Add to this several standing soldiers. 

Theu should have done a superb chariot alongside this AMAZING catapult!!! Once again, a missed oportunity.

Just glue a hundred skeletal arms and legs under them to carry them around. Like Luggage.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Panzer said:

See people with ridiculous strawman arguments on the rise.

You are comparing old and outdated models with completely new up to date models. A better comparison would be the Sepulchral Guard which don't look generic/boring at all

I pointed exactly at old Skeletons Warriors. Nobody uses Sepulchar Guard as their battleline but many use Skeleton Warriors. It's like with forced old battleline with case of Stabbas for GG or Witch Elves for DoK, which I mentioned...

+++ MOD EDIT +++

Edited by RuneBrush

11 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Not sure why people are comparing the foot soldiers to skeletons. They're not the risen bodies of the dead. Think of them more like if you built a robot then put some AI in it. The AI takes over the host it was given. These guys are supposed to be more of a proper military organization for Nagash and not some trash you raise from the ground to do all your work for you. They're not beefy skeletons but constructed war machines with the souls of trained professional soldiers  

Yeah we know. It's about what people expected/wanted and what we got.

10 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

I compare them because with Bonereapers on the horizon we have very little chance of another Skeleton army in AoS (GW themselves called them Skeletons on warhammer-community). Thus, they are THE PRESENT SKELETONS. No Deathrattle update happening, I'm pretty sure. Too similar.

• Sad 2

13 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

They're not beefy skeletons but constructed war machines with the souls of trained professional soldiers  

They do, however, very much *look* like beefy skeletons due to their tyranid exoskeleton look thay have going for them. And if someone doesn't like it, 'fluff says they're not skeletons' doesn't make it ok ; )

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Panzer said:

See people with ridiculous strawman arguments on the rise.

You are comparing old and outdated models with completely new up to date models. A better comparison would be the Sepulchral Guard which don't look generic/boring at all:

60120707001_SepulchralGuardENG02.jpg

They are still boring... they are like...every other skeleton.
Their sculpts are nice, but their design... Necrons at least have some type of simplification to make them more in line with sci-fi stuff (no teetch, etc...), fantasy skeletosn are just... skeletons, doens't matter how good you sculpt them, they are still boring.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beliman said:

They are still boring... they are like...every other skeleton.
Their sculpts are nice, but their design... Necrons at least have some type of simplification to make them more in line with sci-fi stuff (no teetch, etc...), fantasy skeletosn are just... skeletons, doens't matter how good you sculpt them, they are still boring.

Well different people, different opinions. Nothing to argue here.
However as someone who likes the classic Skeleton look and would agree that the old models look boring I can say that these don't look boring for someone who actually likes that look. ;)

• Like 4

I awaken and return to the internets! 

A few thoughts:

1) The way the bone bodies are designed you could easily paint them terracotta in colour or indeed any material colour and they would work. The way the bone is clearly rendered down and then reformed into a body makes them both bone formed, but also ideal for creating out of any other material you choose. Heck they basically ARE a terracotta army, only instead of using clay they've used bone-clay!
This also explains why they have noses, faces, codpieces and such. They aren't simply a skeleton, its like a skeleton was given clay and a chance to go wild in the art room for a while. It gives them a great fusing aspect to their form

2) A flying unit would be great fun to see! I hope that rumour posted earlier turns out true. I also hope that if there is more to come that GW hasn't shown (and it isn't just the guy wearing the coffin in the video - which GW has done before with "we've not revealed it all" translating into "we didn't show a photo of something in the video"); that there's at least one more bone construct to show off!

3) I take the like/dislike line as being quite positive overall. I can't think of a single army everyone likes, and often strong like/dislike lines can breed a good solid fanbase. Also I think that peoples impressions of models go through several phases of interaction. Artwork sparks the imagination; photos of the store versions crushes some; then eyes open wide again once people hold and see the models and start to see alternative paint schemes and ideas. Plus we don't have much lore on these so getting that rolled out will likely spark some more enthusiasm. 

4) It's a "tiny bit cheap" that they are basically death stormcast in concept, but otherwise I really like them. They are beefy but without copy=catting stormcast. Instead they look far more like skeletons wearing armour levels of "beef" with some suitable fantasy exaggeration thrown on top.

5) Their "multiple souls in one body" is going to be interesting to see how that plays out in the lore. Esp for units like the four headed constructs where they don't just have multiple souls but full established personalities melded together into a single warrior. 

6) Someone said it above "Ray Harryhuston" And I see it too! But also with some Necron, Tyranid and Skeleton Warriors. I personally think its a great melding concept!

7) Whilst they aren't a skeleton army I'm actaully partly glad that they are unique in appearance. It gives GW some room to flesh out (joke har har) some of the regular skeletons that already work within other death armies. It's taking the same concept and really going different

Edited by Overread
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Túrbóbelja said:

What if he is immobile? That would be super on point with him laying siege to cities and leading from the back and playing on the tabletop like a living terrain piece.

I would love that. There's no need for every general to also be their army's greatest warrior. I'd love it if this guy was a hero whose presence on the board buffed his army significantly, but didn't offer a threat by itself. Sort of like Epidemius for Nurgle.

I'm surprised that nobody is speaking about an interesting news in Nova: a new terrain, modulable, probably compatible with AoS (just a bit off scale maybe)

"the new Rohan terrain kits are incredibly modular, flexible and scalable."

I think that it'd be a nice addition to do some village battle. House are interesting on the battlefield: you have to chose a side to go, you have to think about  the unit coherency, you can protect a side of your  units etc... And they look great.

Can't wait to see this.

• Like 2

While there are things to like, the Yoshimitsu (a poster here pointed that out, and I love it - thanks to you it clicked why I like their weird faces)/Giger look (like biomechical Necrons) is unique so I think this army falls into a love it or hate it category. It's funny that Nighthaunt do as well as I find they are magnificent and totally in-line with a fantasy world - these bio-Necrons are a bit more unusual, so i understand if someone isn't a fan.

Still quite unhappy we can't get new Chaos Warriors (or Chosen, or even 5 good sculpts for armored Chaos loons for Warcry... anything in that vein) (CW are arguably the most iconic Warhammer infantry) or a normal faction that grounds the setting though. Cities of Sigmar seems to get almost no love and that is a damn shame as we've got so many terrors but nobody to terrorize. Stormcast are fearless exterminators, we need the guys who fight these things and be scarred for life if they happen to suvive an encounter with such things to ground this setting. The horror people felt in Praag was what made that particular story interesting in WHFB, not some OP (Chaos) Warlord. 

• Like 5