The Rumour Thread

They are awesome!!!
They have some minor problems, but nothing important. I see some touch of dark-fantasy here and there, a bit of H. R. Giger organic designs, a bit of story behind some miniatures, etc... 8/10 army.

The catapults are one of their best minis (maybe fighting for first place with Katakros), but what I want to know is how they play. They pointed out that Katakros is "greatest military strategist", so I hope to see that reflected with how they play. Not just some powerful units, but all units beign part of the perfect clockwork war-mechanism. Just go all in!!! Make this army be really awesome to play, or play against!!!

• Like 1

I'm a Legions player - I like the Sarcophagus model a damn lot; more than on the artworks, actually. The catapult is awesome, too - this crawling thing with its many tiny legs is a near-perfect necromantic construct. I never liked the Morghasts, as they are too bulky for me - same goes for the new infantry models to an extent, even though I think that the proportions are way better on those.

Since it's Nagash's take on creating an army, I think he did a really good job on making them resemble him; even the smirks (I usually dislike humour in movies, music and games and prefer the darker aesthetic - but I think that going like: 'Ha, I took 4 souls and crammed it into that Soldier! What does that petty One-Soul-Soldier even want?' is so over-the-top that I think it captures Nagash's personality quite right).

If they're available for Legions to field, I can totally see myself have a hero being sent to Neferata's court to have an eye on her, with some guards accompanying him; and them scheming each other a bit while marching to war together. 

All in all, I think they've done a good job of making Death a tad more Nagash (even though I'd prefer independent Vampires, but I guess that's not how it goes in AoS) while harking back to Nagash's Khemri roots. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

Something I missed, is Katakros the same guy who escaped from Lake Lethis Stormvault? 

No I don’t personally believe they’re the same. I had originally thought that was the plan but theres enough titbits of info across the community pages, recent WD articles, the forbidden power book etc to say that from the past few things I’ve read I’m pretty sure that they’re not, just the timing of releases has conflated them.

This dude is obviously a player for real but the Lethis escapee is, I believe, a much greater cosmic level threat type being.

Saying that the new Mortarch is a stunning model, like some classical artwork come to un-life. I’m not quite all in on the full range just yet but I’ll get him just to own and paint even if I don’t pick up anything else.

EDIT: actually one small thing, it took a second to figure out what felt wrong but as someone who actually does 2 handed longsword as a martial art the way these boneboys are holding their weapons is doing my head in, poor form skeletons, Master Lichtenauer would not approve.

FB50869D-3C88-4625-A045-438928A4E1E6.jpeg

Edited by JPjr
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JPjr said:

No I don’t personally believe they’re the same. I had originally thought that was the plan but theres enough titbits of info across the community pages, recent WD articles, the forbidden power book etc to say that from the past few things I’ve read I’m pretty sure that they’re not, just the timing of releases has conflated them.

This dude is obviously a player for real but the Lethis escapee is, I believe, a much greater cosmic level threat type being.

Yes that’s exactly my thought. It is said Nagash was planning this army since a while and seems weird he would plan it and give it to someone he didn’t remember anymore existed but not totally impossible. I believe we still have to see this mysterious figure from the Stormvault

So... Now that we have a new army on the way WHEN are we supposed to get CoS and the Orruks book?

I know some of you have done some shamanistic-calendar-prevision of the upcoming stuffs.

I mean, it's all cool and fun but I got a cover art 30 days ago and dead signal...

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, JPjr said:

EDIT: actually one small thing, it took a second to figure out what felt wrong but as someone who actually does 2 handed longsword as a martial art the way these boneboys are holding their weapons is doing my head in, poor form skeletons, Master Lichtenauer would not approve.

FB50869D-3C88-4625-A045-438928A4E1E6.jpeg

Have you ever tried holding your sword with two right arms?

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

10 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

Yes that’s exactly my thought. It is said Nagash was planning this army since a while and seems weird he would plan it and give it to someone he didn’t remember anymore existed but not totally impossible. I believe we still have to see this mysterious figure from the Stormvault

I don't think we're going to be getting a model of it, It seems more like it's as JPjr said and it's a cosmic level entity of some kind (maybe another god?) with the Ossiarch Bonereapers worshiping it or are associated with it somehow as you can see a depiction of it on Katakros's shield. We probably won't see an actual full image of it until the battletome drops.

13 minutes ago, Furuzzolo said:

So... Now that we have a new army on the way WHEN are we supposed to get CoS and the Orruks book?

I know some of you have done some shamanistic-calendar-prevision of the upcoming stuffs.

I mean, it's all cool and fun but I got a cover art 30 days ago and dead signal...

If I'm remembering it right in the Warhammer Weekly show today Vince said someone asked about that during the Q&A and the answer was very very soon, so probably in a week or two. Three tops. Mawtribes/Ogres was also confirmed to be getting a battletome accidentally.

50 minutes ago, JPjr said:

Hello fellow HEMA practitioner. I actually dislike the second arm, it hinders a correct cut since it is not a left arm but a second right one. (You can‘t lift the weapon up since the small arm is too short.

I guess I will remove the small arms and replace the head(s) with a left-over head of the cavalry-mount.

my catapult will have no additional legs whatsoever since they look comical to me.

apart from that I see potential though I am only sold on the Mortarch, all of the rest is too static, bulky or too much over the tops concerning exaggeration, even for GW standards (and I mostly dislike almost all heads)

Edited by JackStreicher

See generic/boring models fans are on the rise.

First of all I'm glad we are not having a recycled style faction like DoK, where 50% of models are 10 years old. Was really afraid we will be forced to buy dozens of Skeleton Warriors like in the case of Gloomspite Gitz with Stabbas.

Few people argued that Skeletons are just perfectly fine and should stay. C'mon, it's just silly when you compare new vs old (the other sculpts aren't much better)

Nova-Aug29-AoS-Models3grd.jpg.1895db3184d6708bbc154f242e8fbe51.jpg99120207008_SkeletonWarriors5modelsNEW01.jpg.9ee7741e07507dad62f8fd3f1edd8308.jpg

Even if they are not the same faction - it's not a gap in terms of quality. It's an abyss.

I really dislike funny models in AoS (looking at you Nurgle). These guys however are not. These smiling skeletons look like madmen. Far from silly nurglings or horticulus. Army full of elite crazy oriental skeleton deathcast? Count me in.

Also, in my opinion Warhammer had problems with skeleton horses. Now we have skellies riding sort of rhino, sabretooth and God knows what else. A joy to watch and paint. And those samurai-like riders... Great.

Caterpillar-skelleton-contstruct catapult? Masterpiece.

As for the big boss of Ossiarch Bonereapers maybe it's good that we have one static Behemoth. He seems to be more of a tactician rather than Bloodthirster type of character and I assume we will see more of support warcsroll with command abilities and magic instead of damage dealing machine.

I'm defenitely buying that stuff. Silly thing it will be my 8th AoS army but hell, who needs sanity? Good job GW.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, skeen77 said:

They're not skeletons. Plain and simple. Your comparison to Stormcast is accurate. They are suits of fused armor made out of magically forged bone and had some spirits shoved inside to control them. And they're not mindless automatons, they do have distinct personalities. Yes they're in service to nagash but they exercise their own actions.

I didn’t say they were skeletons.

I was talking about their design in respect to some of their concept but primarily in respect to their visual identity, which is what interests me.

Within that context, I said aesthetically, they are primarily, fat skeletons. Necrons aren’t skeletons either, they’re blah blah blah fluff blah. But they’re robot skeletons in aesthetics . I mentioned Skeletor from Heman not because I think he’s from Hyssh but to illustrate my wider point. After which I then specifically went on to compare them to Stormcast because I know that was at least in part the intention of them.

I really don’t follow how after very clearly explaining my interest in their design you can miss all that just to paste a press release at me.

Suffice to say that I  do not think they are literally fat skeletons, but that nonetheless they look like fat skeletons, which for me rather undermines the fact that they are meant to be something special, but nonetheless just look like fat skeletons. They’re not remotely dynamic, which I think is meant to highlight their sort of visual statue/automata quality. But they’re not that either! So you have a design choice which contradicts what they arent on two counts, without giving any real confident suggestion as to what they are, reducing them to fat skeletons

The one guy who they got right, the Mortarch, is astounding. But he is a completely separate design from the rest of the faction. He’s a C’taan essentially.

14 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Hello fellow HEMA practitioner. I actually dislike the second arm, it hinders a correct cut since it is not a left arm but a second right one. (You can‘t lift the weapon up since the small arm is too short.

Reminds me of this video (the guy is also a HEMA practitioner). :D

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Aryann said:

See generic/boring models fans are on the rise.

First of all I'm glad we are not having a recycled style faction like DoK, where 50% of models are 10 years old. Was really afraid we will be forced to buy dozens of Skeleton Warriors like in the case of Gloomspite Gitz with Stabbas.

Few people argued that Skeletons are just perfectly fine and should stay. C'mon, it's just silly when you compare new vs old (the other sculpts aren't much better)

Nova-Aug29-AoS-Models3grd.jpg.1895db3184d6708bbc154f242e8fbe51.jpg99120207008_SkeletonWarriors5modelsNEW01.jpg.9ee7741e07507dad62f8fd3f1edd8308.jpg

See people with ridiculous strawman arguments on the rise.

You are comparing old and outdated models with completely new up to date models. A better comparison would be the Sepulchral Guard which don't look generic/boring at all:

60120707001_SepulchralGuardENG02.jpg

• Like 9

First, I'll say that I'm a big fan of death factions. Love them. Love them all. Love my skellies. And super love the morghast + mortarchs .

When you go for an army, you generally fall for a concept and/or one or few specific units. For me, it is often a big character or cavalry or some elite guys.

But here, I have a problem with few things.

- the infantry looks weird to me. Maybe it is their shape or their face. But something is wrong.

- the elite also look strange. The four faced head is too little for this body. The morghasts  are way more  balanced and dynamics. Those stalkers make me think about the tyranids warriors. I definitely need to see them IRL.

- the mortarch: this is my biggest disappointment.  GW wanted something new: they did him in a scenery rather than mounted. The miniature is nice. But the concept is weird: we are on a battlefield: moving a scenery is bad. We want dynamism. And a major character, the leader of the army MUST stand upon all his fellows. It'll be hard for me to move this scenery across the battlefield.  If GW wanted something different from other mortarch, they should have done something like a majectis charriot or a platform monster but not a moving half column+stairs!! Super bad concept on the battlefield.

I want to love them but it is hard to command feelings.  But few thing are helping:

- I really LOVE the catapult. I hope that I can field it with my skelletons, at least as ally. SUPERB !

- I like the mid sized characters.

At the end of the day, I think that the decision will be guided by the rules and how they mix&match with other death factions.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Harpo2 said:

Ossiarch Bonereapers are slated for October so Free Cites and Orruks will probably out by the end of September and Ogors will be in October to go with the box set along with the Bonereapers.

End of september, that would mean September is more of an "incomplete building" month than painting. I want the updated warscrolls before I commit to weapon choices for my Freeguild, as well as the alliance options to make the "counts as" things.