The Rumour Thread

3 hours ago, Drakensgreed said:

Just in case anyone missed him, ol‘ coffin-head was in the video.

E8C22E9E-4A8E-43AE-B99D-6A9C6ACDD2E4.png

I must say I really like this sort of elite bone construct although I‘m curious how exactly Orpheon‘s story is intertwined with Nagash (and if his name‘s similarity to Orpheus means anything). Definitely a cool take that he‘s like a statue with a diorama.

I am genuinely surprised that he's wearing that thing. I totally thought it was going to be part of the base kind of, a big stone slab behind him. He looked cooler in the drawings unfortunately.

If these guys didn't have faces, I think it would have worked more. Or at least not a derpy smiling mouth. These guys feel overdesigned to be honest. If they were walking statues like terra-cotta warriors or like the old tomb king guys they would look more intimidating (in my opinion) but as it stands the extra bone spurs and bits  just.., just don't do it for me.

I may have to see them in person.

btw, are these the deathcast eternals?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So to sum up a few things:

- CoS and Orruks very soon, probably next week or two, and won't have traditional endless spells and terrain

- they officially confirmed the mawtribe battletome in the q&a. Someone asked if it was a thing and they said they'd already confirmed it. Whoops

- there's more OB yet to be shown, including a flying unit. I imagine most of what we haven't seen is alternate build for multi kits though.

Sure I'm missing some other stuff that wasn't outright said in the article.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Acid_Nine said:

If these guys didn't have faces, I think it would have worked more. Or at least not a derpy smiling mouth. These guys feel overdesigned to be honest.

Totally. Grim, emotionless construct faces would have done it much better for me.

I forgot to mention something in my previous post. While the 40k announcements usually don't matter much to me (I don't play 40k), this one actually has me really excited. I think I have posted this a couple of times, including in a thread with the theme of "what would you do if you were GW?", but one of my biggest hopes is that GW will move away from exclusively relying on single faction releases and move more towards campaign based, multi-faction releases. It looks like this new 40k campaign will be doing just that. With each chapter in the campaign providing new rules for a couple of factions (and presumably corresponding model releases) it gives the opportunity to add a new kit or two to an existing faction without having a full update. If such a system were adopted for AOS it would mean that factions could get more attention outside of major releases and there would be plenty of opportunities for updating outdated kits piecemeal. I very much hope that I am right that GW is going in this direction!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, swarmofseals said:

Totally. Grim, emotionless construct faces would have done it much better for me.

I forgot to mention something in my previous post. While the 40k announcements usually don't matter much to me (I don't play 40k), this one actually has me really excited. I think I have posted this a couple of times, including in a thread with the theme of "what would you do if you were GW?", but one of my biggest hopes is that GW will move away from exclusively relying on single faction releases and move more towards campaign based, multi-faction releases. It looks like this new 40k campaign will be doing just that. With each chapter in the campaign providing new rules for a couple of factions (and presumably corresponding model releases) it gives the opportunity to add a new kit or two to an existing faction without having a full update. If such a system were adopted for AOS it would mean that factions could get more attention outside of major releases and there would be plenty of opportunities for updating outdated kits piecemeal. I very much hope that I am right that GW is going in this direction!

Sounds to me like a way to sell lots more books. They said that each book would focus on two armies, so there's quite a few potential books out there. I'm not too big into 40k either but I was happy to see Eldar *finally* get new howling banshees.

I am sort of on the fence about the new army.  Really like the cav though.  Infantry seems odd. 

Also, this is the nail in Slaves to Darkness right? A fully developed army release out of order with the Malign Portent heralds.  It seems highly likely to me whatever SoD was supposed to be- it turned into War Cry. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

I am already searching through puppets war for alternate heads and I am happy to say quite a few are better. I am really sad they got rid of the Ra heads, but a full army of Anubis headed constructs with officers being either baset or a centurion? That sounds a lot better than the stupid smiles we have now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Austin said:

I am sort of on the fence about the new army.  Really like the cav though.  Infantry seems odd. 

Also, this is the nail in Slaves to Darkness right? A fully developed army release out of order with the Malign Portent heralds.  It seems highly likely to me whatever SoD was supposed to be- it turned into War Cry. 

I don't think that conclusion follows. Didn't both DoK and Idoneth come out after the heralds? 

• Like 2

On Facebook a few days ago, i called the Legends announcemnet being a one-time (due to non-changing meta from finite number of armies) points allocation, and got shot down for it.

Usually, if enough peiple call for something that doesnt require too many resources, nuGW will do it, and the calls for Legends points were over 90% of the responses to every Legends-related post I saw on the official Facebook accounts.

They got that message loud and clear.

Edited by Kyriakin
  • Like 1

I'm a fan of this aesthetic. It's the unnatural formed from the natural---it's bizarre and unpredictable. From what we've read and heard so far it also sounds like their units might have more interesting rules than we're normally used to.

Edited by Mutton
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Austin said:

Nah! StD will just take a little longer. I wouldn’t worry.

It’s just that... AoS is more narrative and seasonal, right? And we’re still in Death season, we’re still in Soul Wars mode, Slaanesh is practically still missing, and Chaos isn’t the no1 threat atm. 

Archaon is making his move right now, calling forth and seeking new champions as we saw in Warcry. Chaos is in preparation, but not ready yet. Same with the release.

• Like 4

Hey Necrons 👋 

The Mortarch is an outstanding kit but faction is otherwise a conceptual and aesthetic mess.

Fundamentally- fat skeletons. That’s your problem. Even forgetting the already very concrete archetype of fantasy skeletons, your Ray Harryhausen guys, We are conditioned by nature to understand skeletons as being a fragile form which needs protection.

Which, they do. The creators of He-man appreciated that you can’t have a guy whose name is skeletor, one letter away from skeleton, and have him be an actual Skelton if you also wanted a buff dude. GW themselves designed a race of metal skeletons with big guys but they still followed the essential laws of the natural world, they just accentuated the areas we associate with strength-chest, back, shoulders, upper arms-and kept the rest of the body in appropriate proportion to that.

But these Ossiarch  guys never miss leg day,  they’ve piled on the beef. Except-they have no beef.  They’re bone. Buff skeletons are conceptually a violation to us as human beings. It would be like to trying to make a race of water people who are perpetually on fire. Every time you look your brain will just establish a disconnect. 

The other (better) alternative was a living Terracotra army but conceptually speaking that’s Stormcast. I *think* the idea was specifically to sort of give a mirror image of SC and where the excesses of its eugenics are headed if Sigmar doesn’t chill out, but designing a character to make a narrative point usually just leads to the creation of a week unfocused character, because the character only exists in the first place to make a point, otherwise they wouldn’t be there. To justify their existence you have to make them into living exposition which just because new sermonising and tedious.

Case in point: saying so and so is the greatest strategist ever is an utterly meaningless piece of fluff in the circumstances . What made actual generals the archetypes we still look to after hundreds, thousands of years in some cases comes down to mastery of logistics, morale and the capacity to manipulate tens/hundreds of thousands of men despite there being sometimes hours between their instruction/vision and it’s execution. 

Pretty sure if you gave anyone an army that immediately executes orders at your will without the considerations of morale, psychology and the general constraints of mortality and physics acing upon them, they’d probably manage pretty well.

But it’s also a lazy device. Most great generals were also men of great vision and it was their interest in science, philosophy, geography and Human behaviour  that gave them the tools to be able to outwit other generals. Frequently they were outsiders and opportunists whose lack of comparative social advantage was used as a strength to outwit the battlefield truisms of aristocracy who at least in Western history comprised the majority of generals, men who commanded soldiers not by dint of military virtue but by dint of social hierarchy. 

+++ MOD HAT +++ Edited to remove political "joke" - let's keep TGA a politics free zone

First misstep AOS has made in its faction design, for my money. They are baaad. Very PS3/Xbox 360 era generic videogame, that is to say a hollow amalgam of visual inspiration with no clear identity or focus.

Edited by RuneBrush
Removed political comment
  • Like 5
  • Confused 3

Here's some speculation:
1) We see the Ossiarch release October. Then, in November or December (because it's Everwinter, ya see?) we get the Mawtribes (maybe boxed with the new faction, but maybe not...maybe Feast of Bones didn't mean anything after all).

2) The October release for the Ossiarch IS this year's boxed set with Mawtribes, with additional models, tome, etc., sold separately (how they did it with Nighthaunt). Because they didn't have a second brand-new army to pair with the Ossiarch (like Sancrosanct previously), that may be a reason to box them with old Ogor stuff.

I really like the bone dudes. Much more than I was expecting. They’re quite Geiger-esque, which I’m a big fan of. The Mortarch makes me think of Xerxes from 300 (crossed with the Engineers from Alien/Prometheus) and I love the diorama base, although I can see why some people wouldn’t. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Nos said:

Hey Necrons 👋 

The Mortarch is an outstanding kit but faction is otherwise a conceptual and aesthetic mess.

Fundamentally- fat skeletons. That’s your problem. Even forgetting the already very concrete archetype of fantasy skeletons, your Ray Harryhausen guys, We are conditioned by nature to understand skeletons as being a fragile form which needs protection.

Which, they do. The creators of He-man appreciated that you can’t have a guy whose name is skeletor, one letter away from skeleton, and have him be an actual Skelton if you also wanted a buff dude. GW themselves designed a race of metal skeletons with big guys but they still followed the essential laws of the natural world, they just accentuated the areas we associate with strength-chest, back, shoulders, upper arms-and kept the rest of the body in appropriate proportion to that.

But these Ossiarch  guys never miss leg day,  they’ve piled on the beef. Except-they have no beef.  They’re bone. Buff skeletons are conceptually a violation to us as human beings. It would be like to trying to make a race of water people who are perpetually on fire. Every time you look your brain will just establish a disconnect. 

The other (better) alternative was a living Terracotra army but conceptually speaking that’s Stormcast. I *think* the idea was specifically to sort of give a mirror image of SC and where the excesses of its eugenics are headed if Sigmar doesn’t chill out, but designing a character to make a narrative point usually just leads to the creation of a week unfocused character, because the character only exists in the first place to make a point, otherwise they wouldn’t be there. To justify their existence you have to make them into living exposition which just because new sermonising and tedious.

Case in point: saying so and so is the greatest strategist ever is an utterly meaningless piece of fluff in the circumstances . What made actual generals the archetypes we still look to after hundreds, thousands of years in some cases comes down to mastery of logistics, morale and the capacity to manipulate tens/hundreds of thousands of men despite there being sometimes hours between their instruction/vision and it’s execution. 

Pretty sure if you gave anyone an army that immediately executes orders at your will without the considerations of morale, psychology and the general constraints of mortality and physics acing upon them, they’d probably manage pretty well.

But it’s also a lazy device. Most great generals were also men of great vision and it was their interest in science, philosophy, geography and Human behaviour  that gave them the tools to be able to outwit other generals. Frequently they were outsiders and opportunists whose lack of comparative social advantage was used as a strength to outwit the battlefield truisms of aristocracy who at least in Western history comprised the majority of generals, men who commanded soldiers not by dint of military virtue but by dint of social hierarchy. 

This guy though, just, really good at The War, I guess. A general as designed by Donald Trump. A fantastic general, just, the greatest. You won’t believe how good he is guys.

First misstep AOS has made in its faction design, for my money. They are baaad. Very PS3/Xbox 360 era generic videogame, that is to say a hollow amalgam of visual inspiration with no clear identity or focus.

They're not skeletons. Plain and simple. Your comparison to Stormcast is accurate. They are suits of fused armor made out of magically forged bone and had some spirits shoved inside to control them. And they're not mindless automatons, they do have distinct personalities. Yes they're in service to nagash but they exercise their own actions.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Mutton said:

I'm a fan of this aesthetic. It's the unnatural formed from the natural---it's bizarre and unpredictable. From what we've read and heard so far it also sounds like their units might have more interesting rules than we're normally used to.

My Tyranid/Necron fanfiction came true!

59 minutes ago, Still-young said:

I really like the bone dudes. Much more than I was expecting. They’re quite Geiger-esque, which I’m a big fan of. The Mortarch makes me think of Xerxes from 300 (crossed with the Engineers from Alien/Prometheus) and I love the diorama base, although I can see why some people wouldn’t. 

Not nearly enough genitals for Giger. :D

• Haha 2