The Rumour Thread

Tbh not really feeling the infantry, cavalry or four-armed dudes. There’s some excellent ideas there but they have the posing and vague feel of an evil faction in a chunky 3rd party starter kit. More random outcroppings of bone than the interesting development of the broadly central Asian/Japanese/Roman aesthetic. A lot less subtlety and good design work than the Nighthaunt, for example.

The characters and catapult are great though and the new Mortarch is perfection itself. I get why folks might not like the way he’s set up to be supervising the battlefield but I love it, it’s got more dynamism in the slight twist of his hips than any ‘charging forward’ model. He tells a story and develops a whole character with his pose and gear.

Seriously though, google ‘Wayne Barlowe hell’ and you’ll see what I mean, in sculpting and painting he looks like he walked straight out of an illustration of a demon general or duke of hell.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I love the Reapers. Granted I have been very insistend that elite constructs of Death as answer to Stormcast are exactly what is needed. So I am getting exactly what I wanted.

Looking at them closely, there's a few things to say:

-They do indeed look quite stiff. For one, I think it's appropiate, they are automatons of Death. It makes me think of they way Skeletons move in Total War:Warhammer. Also, it's only really the infantry and cavalry unit kits and I think that is because these are designed oldschool- less fancy posing, but more interchangability and customization. If I am right, I feel that is a good thing. Some recent unit kits have been damn near monopose and that is not a good quality in models you need in many multiples for an army.

-Some of them, particularly the infantry unit, look rather goofy. The cartoonish studio paintjob doesn't help. I myself like it, it's got some real Saturday Morning Cartoon Villain vibe, which really is Nagashes vibe. And with some slight modification and a grimdark paintjob they won't anymore.

-The big star for me is the Catapult. Such an amazing engine and truly a worthy inheritor of the Screaming Skull Catapults legacy.

-The other big star is that Mortarch. I really love everything about that model. Might even be enough to finally get me to buckle and get a special character, with I usually avoid like hell. My one disappointment is that the two warriors are his attendants, which means they aren't another elite unit or heroes.

-Speaking of heroes, I count two besides the Mortarch, both of them Caster types. I really hope there will be martial heroes forthcoming as well. I don't like the idea of such a martial force, headed overall by the "Realms Greatest General" wouldn't have some martial Commanders to lead them.

-So far a rather small unit count. One Elite, one cavalry, one infantry, two heroes, a behemoth and a unique. They said there is more coming, but knowing GW, this might well mean just a few more heroes or even just alternative builds. I hate minifactions with wastly limited range (stuck that way gods know how long) and they'd need quite a few more units to leave that area.

On to other news AoS, there is only one book for Warcry with no new models. I guess they took their mouth a little full with their big list of games that would get news, but seeing how they've shown of a good batch of two armies each, I won't complain. It's nice Warcry gets ways to include more existing miniatures and quick support, though there's also serious bloat potential (*cough* Killteam). Of course there are still the two warbands unshown, so this sort of news is rather lackluster against the perspective of shiny new models.

Not commenting on all the 40k except for this:

Psychic Awakening - New Storyline with multiple expansions and splash releases - Called it just a few pages back (along with a bunch of stuff I got quite wrong of course)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, xking said:

So it's a Morghast army. 

99120207028_DeathLordsMarghastsArchai01.jpg

Well... that the answer I'll search. Now you pointed it out, the color scheme and general aesthetic (including the lack of dynamism) are damn the same. That explain the lack of warscroll. 2 more with Morghast...  

Edited by Djoblo

Wait a minute I just realised these really are Deathcast. 

"These are not risen warriors or malignant spirits – they are bespoke war-constructs forged from harvested bone and gifted the soul animus of great warriors and heroes."

Basically Stormcast who've died to many times and been reforged but with more souls stuffed into them. I mean I'm totally on board (and will need to be selling a kidney soon to pay for these) but damn I thought that was just a joke.

4 minutes ago, Dirtnaps said:

Wait a minute I just realised these really are Deathcast. 

"These are not risen warriors or malignant spirits – they are bespoke war-constructs forged from harvested bone and gifted the soul animus of great warriors and heroes."

Basically Stormcast who've died to many times and been reforged but with more souls stuffed into them. I mean I'm totally on board (and will need to be selling a kidney soon to pay for these) but damn I thought that was just a joke.

Well there is a difference, Stormcast are a single soul infused with a power of a god and remade closer in that god's image. These constructs are multiple souls stitched together and jammed into a skeleton body. But in a way you are right, this army is for people who want a more elite force for death. If someone likes death but has an aversion to hordes of models I would recommend this army 

The backbone (see what we did there?) of the Ossiarch Bonereapers are the legions of Mortek Guard and spearheads of Kavalos Deathriders. Each contains the souls of dozens of mortal warriors, and each is a brutally effective combatant, fighting with utter discipline even in the most chaotic battles. These warriors aren’t automata – they have personalities befitting their roles in Nagash’s dark regime. While Mortek Guard are forthright and dutiful, Kavalos Deathriders are possessed of towering arrogance, as suits their role as heralds of the Great Necromancer. 

Edited by shinros
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Harpo2 said:

Ossiarch Bonereapers are slated for October so Free Cites and Orruks will probably out by the end of September and Ogors will be in October to go with the box set along with the Bonereapers.

Where did you hear this? Or is this just a guess?

4 minutes ago, GutZilla said:

According to the community page, pre-orders for Bonereapers are in October, since Sisters are in November it makes sense that the Bonereapers would release towards the end of the month, near Halloween. There's nothing after Space Marines that we know is coming in September, and since CoS/Warclans were announced before Bonereapers, it makes sense they'd release before as well. The ogre thing is just a guess/"rumor" right now, but based on the dialogue of the tyrant teaser it makes sense they'd have a versus box, with the battletome releasing alongside it, like Sylvaneth and GG.

My guess is that pre-orders go up at the beginning of October, the main release finishes around the end of the month, then Sisters, then the ogre tome+possible VS box. Or the ogre stuff comes before Sisters. Or GW is mean and ogres don't come until 2020.

5 minutes ago, GutZilla said:

The preview video said October. Warhammer weekly are doing  a summary video right now. In the QnA they said that the cities of sigmar and Orruk warclans are coming so soon that they aren’t worth talking about. They won’t be getting new scenery or endless spell kits but will get some interesting rules in that regard. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were coming next after the 40k plane game.

Hopefully these guys are allies to Legions of Nagash. So far I'm not liking it enough to do a whole army, but I'd bring along that cavalry and and a catapult.

Point for Legends are nice. Hopefully Dwarfs get the full compendium treatment soon with so many kits going away. I'd love to bring out the whole classic Dwarf army beyond even what was recently Disppossed and Ironweld. Sure it likely won't be tournament legal, but it'll be nice to have something between that and no points so it'll be easy for a casual pick up game.

9 minutes ago, Chikout said:

The preview video said October. Warhammer weekly are doing  a summary video right now. In the QnA they said that the cities of sigmar and Orruk warclans are coming so soon that they aren’t worth talking about. They won’t be getting new scenery or endless spell kits but will get some interesting rules in that regard. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were coming next after the 40k plane game.

They said no Terrain and endless spells for Orruk and CoS?

1 minute ago, KriticalKhan said:

Watch their terrain just be a wall that you can only use the gate to get through

They've also got some bone pillars with mini pyramids in the background, but they could just be part of the wall kit. There's also a plastic tree limb with birds coming off of in the scene with the Reapers. Lots of little things in the background.

terrain 1b.png

Terrain.png

bird terrain.png

Birds.jpg

I hate to say this, but this new faction is just not doing it for me. The detail is incredible, and there are some aspects that I really like but overall it's a pretty big miss for me personally. First off, the positives:

• I really like the basic concept
  • The catapult is pretty interesting
  • really like the basic design of the mortarch as a kit. Adding bulk to the kit by making it a diorama instead of just making it a big monster or a guy on a big monster is a really exciting development in design. I know not everyone is going to like it, but for me it's a big hit. It's taking something like the Contorted Epitome and taking it up three levels. 

That said:

• Although I like the basic concept, almost everything else is a pretty big miss for me. It all seems very confused with too many details from different sources of inspiration. I also am not a fan of the bone armor, although I think it's more an issue of the execution on these kits as I like the morghasts a lot. Part of the problem is that many of the kits just seem really derivative. You've got your knockoff liberators, your knockoff varanguard, and some, uhh, tyranid warriors? 
  • There is so much that I like about the mortarch kit. The stuff I mentioned above, all of the amazing details... I love the messenger dude with his undead carrier pigeons. The problem is that every time I look at it, my eye is drawn straight to the center, which happens to be a bone codpiece that makes Orpheon Katakros look like some sort of nightmare Ken doll.
  • To me there is a big disconnect between the fluff and the models. The fluff is very dark, but a lot of the models just look silly. I think the bone masks are a big part of the problem, but I think it's also that horror depends on at least some element of familiarity. These guys have a lot of very subtle elements of familiarity, but none of them evoke horror -- they just look muddled and, dare I say, silly.
  • Overall, the faction very much reminds me of poorly thought out fusion cuisine. Fusion cuisine works when it takes familiar elements from different cuisines and combines them in a way that both captures something essentially attractive about the inspiration while also creating something new and harmonious. Bad fusion happens when you take inspirational elements that don't work well together and cram them into something that becomes totally unrecognizable. There are design elements here from so many sources and poses that are reminiscent of so many different existing sculpts that the design ends up feeling both too unfamiliar to evoke horror and yet still somehow derivative. 

Just my personal take on it -- I very much hope that others like it a lot!

• Like 10