The Rumour Thread

2 minutes ago, Blueraven84 said:

Wasn't Thomas just reading from the 4chan list that was also linked here though?

He didn't say.  He just said "we now know"

He did not reveal sources or anything else but I don't go to 4chan so no idea.  Tom usually has a bit more than your average insight but like I said, some grains of salt might be necessary to digest this all.

All of the rumors he stated fall in line with the mini trailers we have seen and hints given by GW but it could be wish list projection and/or just connecting dots based on these things.

Not a rumour as such but recently on here I mentioned remembering that when AoS first launched it was rumoured that the release model they would be following was ongoing small factions which were slowly phased out and replaced with new factions. [hope that made sense] And obviously they haven't added to any of the faction model ranges other than Stormacast which suggested this could be the case- no new FEC, Fyreslayers or  Sylvaneth. BUT on the latest StormCast podcast Wade and Cat [who did the fantastic illustration of a Kharadron outpost with the ships and tentacled cloud beasts] were discussing the value of illustrations which described and implied the cultures/worlds/civilisations the factions operated in and repeatedly mentioned that it would be useful in the future when designers revisited those factions/ranges. 

So they do seem to intend to revisit and expand the factions they have created, obviously at the moment they are more concentrating on increasing the breadth and variety of factions rather than the faction depths. Just thought I'd mention that and the StormCast podcast is definitely worth a watch..

• Like 3

I can see Slaves being the target for Christmas and then getting pushed a month out into January, though honestly I'd sort of expect GW to push things to get it there before. They've done duel battletome launches before and whilst it might not be ideal I'd take GW running out of stock over GW slowing down releases if it was only affecting one month. Then again I've no idea what GW's production end looks like and considering the stocking issues they've had before it might be that they are already pushing things to the comfortable limit.

Still hitting Christmas with Death and Destruction complete and Order basically completed (only a couple of out-dated tomes to update so those armies are pretty safe investments) is still a VERY good achievement when we consider what we started the year with and how things were only just leading up to last christmas. 

• Like 1

Hey all, was sent this pic in a message and asked if I knew anything about it. I have no idea whatsoever so figured I’d ask the community. Anyone have some insight? AoS RPG related? Book/novel? Fan supplement (doubtful)? Blood Warriors kicking their way into 40k and killing everyone so GW can focus on AoS properly (ok... maybe slightly less likely that a fan supplement)?

0ADEAA65-0A57-4E9E-B602-8A33B5327E2C.jpeg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lior'Lec said:

Hey all, was sent this pic in a message and asked if I knew anything about it. I have no idea whatsoever so figured I’d ask the community. Anyone have some insight? AoS RPG related? Book/novel? Fan supplement (doubtful)? Blood Warriors kicking their way into 40k and killing everyone so GW can focus on AoS properly (ok... maybe slightly less likely that a fan supplement)?

I'm guessing a novel

54 minutes ago, Lior'Lec said:

at first i thought the slaughterpriest was a new chaos ogre

i always forget how massive the heroes are compared to the average joe

Edited by TheMuphinMan

9 hours ago, Travis Baumann said:

He did not reveal sources or anything else but I don't go to 4chan so no idea. 

That's word-for-word the 4chan post that got linked a few pages back. And that 4chan post was just everything that people have already been theorizing wrapped up in a nice little package with a 'leak' tag slapped on to get peoples attention. Throw in some disappointing stuff to keep it "realistic", nad you've got an unsubstantiated, uncredited rumor from a site known for making things up that gets spread around for no good reason, and now it's been picked up by someone 'legit', so even more people will believe it. I was in the thread where that was first posted, the guys had everything in the world on what was going on with ogres, just enough to keep people interested with the Death stuff, but you know what he had to say about CoS and Warclans (you know, the ones that are releasing before ogres)? Nothing. When people asked him about what Endless Spells they'd get? Nothing. Tzeentch spells? Nothing. 40k? Nothing. No responses at all, he couldn't even make up an excuse.

The stuff he mentioned sounded cool, but we should all be taking it with mountain sized piles of salt.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, KriticalKhan said:

That's word-for-word the 4chan post that got linked a few pages back. And that 4chan post was just everything that people have already been theorizing wrapped up in a nice little package with a 'leak' tag slapped on to get peoples attention. Throw in some disappointing stuff to keep it "realistic", nad you've got an unsubstantiated, uncredited rumor from a site known for making things up that gets spread around for no good reason, and now it's been picked up by someone 'legit', so even more people will believe it.

Indeed, making this stuff up and making  is seem plausible is the easiest thing in the world. My suspicion is that while you probably do occasionally get someone posting a genuine  bit of news on 4chan... it's 4chan. Of course there's going to be fabrications.

Case in point, this set of 'rumours' is being circulated:

d96832a623807ddb9fba23e3a27905cc_56555.j

I think it's fair to say that this is pretty obviously made up of everything plausible which folks already speculate about, with a few disappointing elements lumped in, e.g. the highly unlikely case of Seraphon, the first WHFB army to get rebooted for AoS almost in its entirety, with a substantial plastic range which apparently sold well in WHFB and still does in AoS, being squatted.

I do not see any possible way Seraphon as a faction would be phased out. It may, and repeat may, be possible that after a 2.0 battle tome they stop updating it for many years. It may even be possible they do not update it for 2.0, although unlikely they would miss a so low-hanging fruit! 

Just new rules, endless spells and a faction terrain and Seraphon are good for quite a bit. But phasing then out? Unrealistic, would have been easier phase out all aelves instead of a portion of them.

• Like 2

Also the explanation that these rumors come from "whiteboard pics" is hilarious. Did they really write down "happy with KO and Fyreslayers" on a board along with "phasing out Seraphon" and all of that other stuff. They're obviously fake leaks mixed with real theories people have been floating around for awhile. But hey, it gives us something to do.

Edited by Mutton
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

So they just put rules for the other Space Marine Chapter's datasheets up for download.  That makes me think that we might not just see more space marines codex supplements this week as the pre-order announcement and actually get something AoS-related.

Edited by willange

I don't believe in removing Seraphon. No way. It's GW's original concept. They won't do it. It's like trashing Skaven.

Don't believe in icluding more Dark Elf units in DoK. If they wanted it, they would have already done so.

I don't see a Stormcast vs Ironjawz box coming. There are no new units for Stormcasts lately and it is more likely Ironjawz (if at all) will be paired with something fresh.

Someone from GW already mentioned that they are thinking of expanding KO.

StD won't get a battletome this year. It's too crowded.

This rumour is so unlikely I don't believe in any of it.

• Like 2

I feel like there's two more death factions easily left to do. I was an undead player for many years in my early teens and when they split undead into 2 factions and released vampire counts all of my models were from the tomb kings side and not vampire counts! I asked every week if the new book was out because I was unable to use my models and all I got back was  eye rolls ( bless their patience with an annoying 13 yo🤣 I actually stopped playing before tomb kings  were ever a faction and haven't played a fantasy game until AoS about 18 months ago!

Anyway I wasn't bothered by TK being squatted but did like the reanimated constructs from death magic and loved the end times aesthetics especially the morgasts, which I do remember hearing a rumour that they were a prototype for a new faction idea of death. 

Now though I'm very keen on them coming back just not in the Egyptian theme. A new faction based off of a new mortarch, with more  morghasts , ushabi type monstrous creatures,  sphinxs could use the same kit as well as the stalkers. Throw in some skellies to boot and a few plastic leaders and your good to go.. i would stay away from being direct descendants of TK but have two ways to play from the battletome, loyal to settra and with the grand alliance order or allied to Nagash with a new mortarch of dust.

Future death battletomes. 

-TK

Soulblight ( legion of blood)(vampires, thralls and bats and all the way in between)Might offer a more neutral tale on death who warned completely subservient 

-deadwalkers( new name needed) a rolling tide of stinking decay reanimating as it goes, using slain models to add to your 'summoning pool' building up big enough pools to raise zombie dragons and flesh giants from the available dead at your disposal!! All put together by necromancers and corpse carts. 

I wouldn't  bother with a deathrattle tome.  Skellies do well  in LoN and work well witj every faction  to tie it all together.

I personally do not want to see Soulblight as an expanded faction.  You have two vampires as Mortarchs and can run a Vampire force with either one more or less.  and then you have the FEC which is sort of a Vampire led army as well.  Vampires should be super elite and I just don't see a reason to expand them lore wise or figure wise compared to all the awesome possibilities the Mortal Realms  hold.

I do think Deathrattle or a Skeleton heavy army led by Wight Kings and Liche Masters can be aesthetically improved upon (the Underworlds Sepulcher Guard taken to 11 for example) and would make a different playing style hopefully than super ****** horde (zombies) to super elites (Morghasts and what I would think an all Vampire army would have to be).

The rumors of either a Mongolian-esque thing or some throwback to TK don't really interest me all that much.  Skeleton giants, ogres, dwarves, Skaven, Gobo's, maybe even monsters and big things... that interests me a lot.  I used to have quite a large skeleton army 20+ years ago with chariots and archers and cavalry, a giant, a skeleton war mammoth and even a giant bone rhinoceros with howdah on his back (some of this stuff was not GW but I don't remember what was what).  That type of aesthetic and play style could really alter the Death shtick in a good way.

• Sad 1

Honestly if we go down the "what if" faction line we can go on forever. The Realms themselves have no defined boundaries to really stop any race or faction living within any realm and each realm is distinct enough to adapt any race that lives there into a diverse different kind. So even within each faction there's mutliple possible lore friendly subfactions that could arise to large enough numbers to be a full faction.

Plus any niche can be expanded upon whilst any new themes can too. We can basically go on forever. GW did this intentionally; rather than the Old World where they sort of had to do certain armies even if they didn't have designers who wanted too - eg in Old World there was Araby, Cathay and Nippon as 3 established factions to develop likely before any others could be potentially added. Even then with the world being mapped out more and more you run out of space to hide a new faction. 

It's why some fantasy wargames never explore the whole world and leave huge regions undiscovered even if they've got the tech to explore them. 

Age of Sigmar can pop up a faction almost anywhere GW wants. 

A Nurgle faction based heavily around the Knights of Nurgle 
A human faction that rides horses in a knight in shining armour style force
A Skaven sky raiders army - heck GW could go full SKYRAIDERS the minigame with every faction stealing or building their own airships; or taming wild beasts of the skies; or floating islands of rock; or demonic beasts or not chopping the wings off and having flights of burning dragonbeasts etc... 
An underground army of molemen, riled at the corruption of the land and of the Skavens tunnels bursting randomly into their domain. Striking forth from the earth with monstrous weapons and powerful earth magics; massive golems rising from stone; whilst gemsone and crystal encrusted creations focus the very burning powers of the stars above to blast the enemy into atoms. Or the dreaded dark magics of the deep; ancient forgotten spells that suck the enemy into the void of blackness deep beneath the earth. 

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 4

3 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

Perhaps Seraphon not getting completely removed but more of a total reboot in design.

A change to something more copyrightable and less of a Mayan, Aztec, approach to the faction. 

I have always thought the Lizardmen concept (aside from the name, which has been solved) was pretty unique.  Would be quite unexpected if they were trashcanned. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, willange said:

So they just put rules for the other Space Marine Chapter's datasheets up for download.  That makes me think that we might not just see more space marines codex supplements this week as the pre-order announcement and actually get something AoS-related.

I don’t think we’ll see more supplements, but there’s still more Space Marine models to come out from this wave. 

I'm not sure what this means, but I was looking at the warscrolls for the Warcry models, and they all have the unique "Cultists" keyword. I wonder if this means something for how they'll be used in an upcoming StD book, if they'll have a special battalion or unique allegiance abilities. Hmmmm.

52 minutes ago, Zamik said:

I'm not sure what this means, but I was looking at the warscrolls for the Warcry models, and they all have the unique "Cultists" keyword. I wonder if this means something for how they'll be used in an upcoming StD book, if they'll have a special battalion or unique allegiance abilities. Hmmmm.

Could be something that ties into a future warcry release too. Like if they add a Heroes expansion they might have AOS rules that only affect 'cultists' models.