The Rumour Thread

Thing is whilst Tzeentch might be the only non 2.0 book, Slaves to darkness have no book at all and even Everchosen is in there. 

It would make more sense to have Slaves this year with no new models released for it save for the Warcry Warbands. It would be rather daft to postpone it until next year when GW is already pushing chaos forces and chaos mortals. Especially since they had a Christmas army box recently. It just seem very odd for GW to front-load Slaves with all these great "potential" releases and then not follow it up with a Battletome.

Tzeentch isn't in a bad spot all told and even has a few new models anyway. It's in far less need of an update. 

2 minutes ago, Overread said:

Thing is whilst Tzeentch might be the only non 2.0 book, Slaves to darkness have no book at all and even Everchosen is in there. 

It would make more sense to have Slaves this year with no new models released for it save for the Warcry Warbands. It would be rather daft to postpone it until next year when GW is already pushing chaos forces and chaos mortals. Especially since they had a Christmas army box recently. It just seem very odd for GW to front-load Slaves with all these great "potential" releases and then not follow it up with a Battletome.

Tzeentch isn't in a bad spot all told and even has a few new models anyway. It's in far less need of an update. 

It depends if they view the Warcry warbands as part of Slaves to Darkness like that. It may be they’re waiting for next year and there’ll be updated Chaos Warriors and stuff with the book. Rather than squeeze it in now before the end of the year with just the Warcry stuff and maybe a new character. Whereas Tzeentch could fit in easily before the end of the year as it’s less of an update. They might not be in a bad spot, but the book has mostly been errata;d as far as I know. 

Edited by Still-young

Honestly whilst they aren't new I don't see the Chaos warriors being "that old" compared to a lot of other models in the AoS range. They at least stand up well in general - though marauders are a bit behind. And GW certainly seems to think the Warbands are for Slaves, they are already showing them in the Slaves to Darkness store page. 

Plus there's Everchosen and Acharon in the Slaves listing, I'd think GW would want the big bad of AoS to get an update before Christmas. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Overread said:

Honestly whilst they aren't new I don't see the Chaos warriors being "that old" compared to a lot of other models in the AoS range. They at least stand up well in general - though marauders are a bit behind. And GW certainly seems to think the Warbands are for Slaves, they are already showing them in the Slaves to Darkness store page. 

Plus there's Everchosen and Acharon in the Slaves listing, I'd think GW would want the big bad of AoS to get an update before Christmas. 

But with Death potentially getting a new faction, maybe they want them to be the big bad for a little bit. 

7 minutes ago, Overread said:

Honestly whilst they aren't new I don't see the Chaos warriors being "that old" compared to a lot of other models in the AoS range. They at least stand up well in general - though marauders are a bit behind.

Dude.  You are really underselling things here.

Marauders are in the discussion for the worst looking kit that Games Workshop currently produces.  They are inferior from a technical standpoint, with messed up scales and proportions on nearly all their pieces, and they are an absolute embarrassment aesthetically.  Bad guys from a Hannah Barbara cartoon look better than these turds.

My opinion of Chaos Warriors is pretty low, but I feel I really need to point out how much of a problem the Marauder kit is.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

I think that the Cities of Sigmar Battletome will be released  with the last Primaris release before the Nova preview. I woudn't be suprised if for CoS there will be only a battletome, no endless spells, no terrain feature and certainly no new miniatures.

With the Warcry 2 remaining warbands, Underworlds starterset en probably two new warbands shortly after, a new battle box and a possible new death army it seems to me that the AoS schedule is full for the rest of  2019.

1 hour ago, LeSwordfish said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Ogors get a release like we're expecting then Slaves will be the only faction without an updated book. Maybe the Dark Aelves too, depends if they're in CoS.

A nice stat is that there are 101ish Order warscrolls not in a battletome, 25ish Chaos warscrolls, 18ish Destruction warscrolls, and 0 Death warscrolls.

GW has been doing a good job transitioning Grand Alliance X books to battletomes over the last 3 years (the 4 chaos god books and LoN did a lot of the heavy lifting). Once we get Ogres, Slaves, and Cities most of these warscrolls will be in a tome. Safe bet the rest will die off over the next year or 2 and not make it into the GH.

AOS is in a better place than 40k model wise imo. With the recent round of squatting we are left with a lot of good plastic kits and limited finecast. If you look at 40k they are releasing the new marine codex but haven't made it full primaris. It is going to suck for players in 2-4 years when they completely phase them out, yet need to buy these old models to stay competitive since they are in the book. We are in a place soon where if a friend is to buy army most models he picks will be relevent for a long time.

Edited by svnvaldez

3 hours ago, Overread said:

I agree but GW doesn't follow "Who needs an upgrade". They upgrade whatever they think makes money. Absolutely nothing in the Stormcast Eternal product line needs an upgrade but they get one every 2 weeks.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

33 minutes ago, Kurrilino said:

I agree but GW doesn't follow "Who needs an upgrade". They upgrade whatever they think makes money. Absolutely nothing in the Stormcast Eternal product line needs an upgrade but they get one every 2 weeks.

When was the last time Stormcast actually got an update though? It’s been over a year now. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Still-young said:

When was the last time Stormcast actually got an update though? It’s been over a year now. 

He's being hyperbolic but it's a valid point. Stormcast had the Vanguard update the year before that, then the Sacrosanct update last year. How long have some armies gone without an update?

I really think they were updated more so to have both male and female representation.

In my opinion this was a great move by them. 

I do think it could have been done a bit differently as there is some redundancy across the factions model line but its done. 

Now if I could just get some sweet Destro T&A 🤔.... outside of the Hag that is. 😂

10 hours ago, mikethefish said:

Marauders are in the discussion for the worst looking kit that Games Workshop currently produces. 

Of the plastics kits, yea I'd put Marauders and Saurus Knights at the bottom of the pile. 

However, some of the Finecast is another level of terribad.

Fell Bats <<<<<< Marauders

A possible solution to compensate temporarily the lack of book and new miniatures: release a slaves to darkness battletome with all Warcry miniatures mentioned as specific warbands with their current profiles but also usable as Chaos Marauders all mixed up (unit size 10) with 2 weapon profiles (melee and ranged) to represent the variety of those tribal warriors swearing allegiance to pure chaos.

That way you have new miniatures and you can get the book out quickly maybe with endless spells and terrain. And then worry in future about a real update.

8 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

?

the Models are kind of sloppy though.

Oh yeah for sure not GW models quality.  I always wonder though if these folks are getting info on the sly and use that to know when and what to push out. 

Edited by Austin

Whilst not exactly striking whilst the iron is hot, its hard to see this KS as anything to do with an industry leak given all the art is almost 1-for-1 old Tomb Kings; a King on Chariot, the Necropolis Knight snakes, Carrion Birds, Tomb Guard, an artificial giant scorpion with what looks like an interred body within, and a Bone Giant.

Which is a shame because the Desert Elves look like rulewise they could be reskinned Dark Elves but are at least visually new and interesting.

Edited by MaatithoftheBrand

1 minute ago, Austin said:

Oh yeah for sure not GW models quality.  I always wonder though if these folks are getting info on the sly and use that to know when and what to push out. 

They don‘t. These kickstarters have very short planning times (participated in one myself) and GW needs about 2 years from model concept to release 

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I think this is more a case of wanting to provide options for the various Tomb Kings fans still out there. They are making models suitable for most of the Old TK units, as well as some pretty cool Dark Elf proxies.

Creating models for a niche which Games Workshop has abandoned is likely to be more useful than one which it is about to release some serious competition for!

It looks like a nice selection of models, but I always find these big model haul kickstarters to be a bit too pricey for me. Individually the prices seem fine, but getting an entire army at once is a bit impractical. Hopefully it won't take too long for them to go on sale generally.

Many game KS start you off in the middle to early phase; so you're there for the design and development and often paying for the tooling up and production side of things. So whilst it takes GW 2 years or more it also takes most model companies the same span of time for a KS to deliver; with the catch that you've paid in advance and that they nearly always slip on their release deadline (some by months and some by years). There's also the risk it can all fail; though this one with the Undead is at least tied to Troll Trader so has a good backing of a store for income support. 

Often as not its the running costs that kill many game KS when they go over their deadlines and can't afford to keep staff on because they were paying for staff out of the KS funds. 

I'm confused! Reading a few comments over the last few pages and elsewhere. 

Are we getting a new death faction? Is there anymore to go on other than the right speculation, I'm very interested in a new death faction but not sure if I've missed something

23 minutes ago, CDM said:

I'm confused! Reading a few comments over the last few pages and elsewhere. 

Are we getting a new death faction? Is there anymore to go on other than the right speculation, I'm very interested in a new death faction but not sure if I've missed something

it was told in an event some time ago by GW staff that we would be getting this year at least 1 new tome per grand alliance. This was some time after the release of FleashEaters, so most people have assumed (and some rumour engines point that way) that since all death factions have been updated to 2nd edition a new death faction should be arriving later this year

Considering GW hasn't teased a single new death faction really it could be that the rumour was someone at GW who got their marketing spiel wrong and GW hasn't made any move to confirm nor deny fully. But far as we know 1 more death battletome "should" be coming.