The Rumour Thread

2 hours ago, Ivo said:

Just realized the warcry warband with the asian aesthetic has similar lines on their helmets! Could be some sort of light elves architecture :v sun god shrine!

Or...it could be what it actually is - a shot up aquilla 😜

Edited by mikethefish
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Turin Turambar said:

[insert joke about it being a teaser for primaris battletome release so they can be used in both 40k and AOS]

That would be hilarious, GW missed a April fools opportunity! On the other hand, I specifically purchased Tsaangors and Blue Horrors for my girlfriend so she could use them for 40k and AoS.

Edited by zilberfrid

Honestly, outside weeks that there’s a Studio preview, the threads pretty slow most of the time. GW seems to have been very clever about working with the old, reliable rumour mongers and getting them to sign NDAs.

Oh, I should clarify that when I say slow I mean in actual rumours, not discussion. Apparently we can talk about the differences in the scale pattern of snakes, dinosaurs and dragons or the architectural origin of a pile of rocks for days. 😁

Edited by ManlyMuppet88

9 minutes ago, ManlyMuppet88 said:

Honestly, outside weeks that there’s a Studio preview, the threads pretty slow most of the time. GW seems to have been very clever about working with the old, reliable rumour mongers and getting them to sign NDAs.

I don't think its just GW being a strong-arm in this, but also the fact that in the Kirby era GW wasn't communicating with fans very much at all. They basically had White Dwarf and that was about it. So there was very little interaction, few to no pre-release info bursts and releases themselves, whilst hyped up, were only hyped up very close to launch. Plus releases were slower; sure they were often bigger, but they were far more spaced out. This led to a lot of fans getting very disgruntled because they might not hear anything about their army for month after month. 

I think more staff at GW were more charged up to leak info and more inthe grapevine let out more details to make up for the upper management enforced silence.

Today we've got a very different picture and I think that in itself has significantly helped stem the tide of rumours. In fact right now we hear far less of GW taking legal action on 3rd parties and such. Instead we've got reliable news right from GW themselves and a lot more community interaction. So we've somewhat lost the rumours, but we've gained a lot more direct feedback and chatter. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Overread said:

I don't think its just GW being a strong-arm in this, but also the fact that in the Kirby era GW wasn't communicating with fans very much at all. They basically had White Dwarf and that was about it. So there was very little interaction, few to no pre-release info bursts and releases themselves, whilst hyped up, were only hyped up very close to launch. Plus releases were slower; sure they were often bigger, but they were far more spaced out. This led to a lot of fans getting very disgruntled because they might not hear anything about their army for month after month. 

I think more staff at GW were more charged up to leak info and more inthe grapevine let out more details to make up for the upper management enforced silence.

Today we've got a very different picture and I think that in itself has significantly helped stem the tide of rumours. In fact right now we hear far less of GW taking legal action on 3rd parties and such. Instead we've got reliable news right from GW themselves and a lot more community interaction. So we've somewhat lost the rumours, but we've gained a lot more direct feedback and chatter. 

If I recall correctly, GW were told in no uncertain terms to crack down on leaks as a condition of being given the Hobbit license: Smaug was a very big deal, one of the biggest leaks in hollywood, and GW were full-on rusty sieve at that point, so they were forced to tighten up. I'm not sure how this lines up with "era" talk but I do think the amount of leaks and rumors dropped sharply at around that time, before they started publicising things on WHC etc.

30 minutes ago, LeSwordfish said:

If I recall correctly, GW were told in no uncertain terms to crack down on leaks as a condition of being given the Hobbit license: Smaug was a very big deal, one of the biggest leaks in hollywood, and GW were full-on rusty sieve at that point, so they were forced to tighten up. I'm not sure how this lines up with "era" talk but I do think the amount of leaks and rumors dropped sharply at around that time, before they started publicising things on WHC etc.

If true that's really weird considering the book of The Hobbit was out for 75 years before the movie so Smaug being in it wasn't a surprise at all. Unless you haven't read the book that is.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dirtnaps said:

If true that's really weird considering the book of The Hobbit was out for 75 years before the movie so Smaug being in it wasn't a surprise at all. Unless you haven't read the book that is.

It was likely because of a few things:

1) Smaug's design in the film was unique and the film studio wanted to protect that image for marketing

2) It was a hollywood machine that wanted to be in control of the product and marketing and market smaug on their terms not GW's terms etc...

3) Control - even GW themselves are slaved to the ideal of controlling information and giving out less early on and then buidling up to more and more for a hyped release. It's hard to hype a release if the info is already out there in the world.

So yeah everyone knew Smaug was coming just not in what form plus there's control aspects involved too and marketing theory. 

That said GW was always a bit heavy handed because they went along with the same marketing theories; however it honestly wasn't until GW actually opened up their own massive marketing campaign that we actually saw a proper ending of rumours. 

2 hours ago, Dirtnaps said:

Don't be silly.  It was not the existence of Smaug, but rather the actual appearance.  That kind of thing is a big deal for people looking to cash in on merchandising knock-offs.