The Rumour Thread

3 hours ago, Goodapollo4 said:

So new Beastgrave Black Library book coming out https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/08/03/from-darkness-to-death/#gallery-4

The image has a beastman fighting against a pretty cool looking branchwraith...new sylvaneth warband? Just good art?

They just had Ylthari, which looks nothing like the cover, which looks more like a Branchwych, which looks nothing like the Beastgrave elves.

i can’t help but wonder if the rumor that the creative teams don’t always talk to each other is true.

4 minutes ago, Fairbanks said:

They just had Ylthari, which looks nothing like the cover, which looks more like a Branchwych, which looks nothing like the Beastgrave elves.

i can’t help but wonder if the rumor that the creative teams don’t always talk to each other is true.

The story could easily be: beasts of chaos overrun sylvaneth war grove, branchwraith escapes, calls in the kurnothi, but the story is all told through her eyes? Hence she’s on the cover. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

The story could easily be: beasts of chaos overrun sylvaneth war grove, branchwraith escapes, calls in the kurnothi, but the story is all told through her eyes? Hence she’s on the cover. 

Or the novel has nothing to do with the warbands in the box but rather with the setting...

Kurnothi may even have a battalion or special allegiance abilities that allow to use Sylvaneth as a throwback to Wood Elves... unlikely but not impossible 

Having a look at what is gone forever and they wiped out Eldritch Council, Lion Rangers and Order Draconis. Only the Shadow Warriors are left of the Swifthawk and Excelsior and Flagellants of the Devoted of Sigmar. I’m ready to bet these factions will be gone forever and just integrated in cities of Sigmar.

Wanderers and Dispossesed also took a hit so will be interesting to see if warscrolls and points will just disappear or if they will be usable at least until the next GHB before ending like Greenskinz and Gutbusters.

To note also that the squat was almost entirely ex high aelves, could this mean something is coming from Hysh? Could dark elves be further behind and so have a little longer lifespan?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, alghero81 said:

Wanderers and Dispossesed also took a hit so will be interesting to see if warscrolls and points will just disappear or if they will be usable at least until the next GHB before ending like Greenskinz and Gutbusters.

To note also that the squat was almost entirely ex high aelves, could this mean something is coming from Hysh? Could dark elves be further behind and so have a little longer lifespan?

wanderers are definitely in the CoS, as they feature prominently in the displays for that tome, so what they have left should be fine (underline should be), 

Imagine if the Marauders kit gets replaced by a new double purpose kit that can make either vanilla combat based barbarians or magic based chaos cultists, and the last 2 Warcry warbands have no kits cause you can make these warbands out of the StD kit!!

Yeah, I know. I’ll see myself out 😬

• LOVE IT! 4

2 hours ago, Turin Turambar said:

wanderers are definitely in the CoS, as they feature prominently in the displays for that tome, so what they have left should be fine (underline should be), 

I mean only the models that have been removed not the entire faction. In the past models not available anymore like the Spire Guard were still available in matched points, now they get axed as well (like the Silver tower models, Greenskins and Gitmob to mention few).

I believe CoS will make many factions disappear and mostly leave keywords so will be interesting to see which ones remain with some flavour and some hope to see them expanded in the future. Looking forward to see the book!

As someone else said we will probably need to wait September to see if the Kurnothi are something separate or an extension of an existing army like DoK

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The weekly pre-order announcement is up and it's all 40k. No explanation yet from GW on the last-chance-to-buy stuff, so I'm guessing we probably won't get one. I was hopeful we would see cities pre-preorder today, but I guess it'll be another week at least! Seems like a big miss by GW to me. I can't see any reason not to coordinate the "last chance to buy" announcement with the official beginning of the Cities of Sigmar release cycle.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lernaean said:

Imagine if the Marauders kit gets replaced by a new double purpose kit that can make either vanilla combat based barbarians or magic based chaos cultists, and the last 2 Warcry warbands have no kits cause you can make these warbands out of the StD kit!!

Yeah, I know. I’ll see myself out 😬

But I want a dual purpose Marauder kit and the next two warbands...😩

Would actually love a kit like that though.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2019 at 5:48 AM, Austin said:

What does "last chance to  buy" mean to you?

I guess it could mean last chance to buy this summer, or last chance to buy at the current currency exchange rate. 

Reboxing does not quite seem to fit, particularly when they gave us a heads up a few weeks ago that the Free Cities battletome meant a culling was coming.  I did not think it would be quite this much though.

Last chance to buy in this configuration? With these square bases?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

The weekly pre-order announcement is up and it's all 40k. No explanation yet from GW on the last-chance-to-buy stuff, so I'm guessing we probably won't get one. I was hopeful we would see cities pre-preorder today, but I guess it'll be another week at least! Seems like a big miss by GW to me. I can't see any reason not to coordinate the "last chance to buy" announcement with the official beginning of the Cities of Sigmar release cycle.

I don't think it's a miss. It makes sense, get rid of everything that's not going in the book so when it's released the only things on sale are units in the book. Yes it sucks we're losing stuff but it's happened before and will happen again.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

I don't think it's a miss. It makes sense, get rid of everything that's not going in the book so when it's released the only things on sale are units in the book. Yes it sucks we're losing stuff but it's happened before and will happen again.

They also want the disappointment to die down before they do a release. Wait a few weeks, and the affected players may have left the hobby entirely. If they don't give any sound to this, new players may not know they are buying into quicksand.

If, however, they release now, there will be more disappointed players that still care enough to let potential new players know how GW operates.

I can't see anyone leaving the hobby over this. GW were up front about it. They revealed that cities of sigmar is coming and said some units won't be supported and heading to legends, then they announced what's going to last chance to buy. 

Everything has sold really well yet I suspect a lot of it is by people who think they can flip them for inflated prices on eBay. I bet in a few days there will be skycutters and dwarf warriors on sale for £60 -£75 

I'm more curious as to what endless spells cities of sigmar will get as this is the first book with wizards from different factions.

• Like 3

I can see those who had large High Elf armies leaving or at least being VERY bitter about it. They will join Tombking and Bretonnia players; only its worse for the HE because they had a decent chunk of models hanging around for quite a long while into AoS (well until last saturday really). Even though they'd lost many core models like spearmen, the army still had a functional core to them. 

So yes I can see some leaving; thing is Cities might bring them around and the rumoured new "light" aelf army might well do so as well - right now its a down period, where we've only had removals. We need a boost of gaining models, but that might not happen until the new light aelf army (if that even comes, GW might even kill them off in the lore before geting to models). So it could still be a year or two. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

I can't see anyone leaving the hobby over this. GW were up front about it. They revealed that cities of sigmar is coming and said some units won't be supported and heading to legends, then they announced what's going to last chance to buy. 

Everything has sold really well yet I suspect a lot of it is by people who think they can flip them for inflated prices on eBay. I bet in a few days there will be skycutters and dwarf warriors on sale for £60 -£75 

I'm more curious as to what endless spells cities of sigmar will get as this is the first book with wizards from different factions.

They were upfront that a handful of models were going to be removed. 26 sets were removed, which is a far cry from a handful.

They were also upfront that they would give a full list of what was going to be removed, and they didn't. Except for the New Zealand guy, that added a list in the email warning players. In other countries, that email came when half of the models were gone. Some sets entered "last chance to buy" when they were sold out worldwide.

"Wizards from different factions" is only Dark elves and College, the rest is removed.

I will probably get CoS, as it's the only thing I expect to happen for Freeguild, if it's even halfway decent.

I can absolutely see people leaving the hobby over this. If you've been strung along for four years, maybe starting with an AoS branded kit which no longer has any models for matched play, you have been quite badly burned.

Edited by zilberfrid

42 minutes ago, Overread said:

only its worse for the HE because they had a decent chunk of models hanging around for quite a long while into AoS (well until last saturday really). Even though they'd lost many core models like spearmen, the army still had a functional core to them. 

Tbf they can proxy them as dreadspears yet.

• Like 1

While its never fun to see an army to go and I am surprised at some of the high elf models being retired it isn't realistic to expect all armies to be supported indefinitely. A customer who bought an army 10+ years ago and then never buys anything else and quits when that army gets retired isn't a real lose to GW. The only real mistake I see GW making in this is repacking the Isle of Blood as Spire of Dawn as I would expect models in a starter set to be supported for some time after I brought that kit. Though I can't imagine many people would take offense to proxing Swordmasters as Executioners when Cities of Sigmar hits.

Edit: I hate being a GW apologist but come on, people rage quitting over this are being ridiculous.  It sucks when stuff gets retired but there's no way GW can continue to produce new products if they have to support all their products indefinitely.

Edited by Forrix
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Overread said:

I can see those who had large High Elf armies leaving or at least being VERY bitter about it. They will join Tombking and Bretonnia players; only its worse for the HE because they had a decent chunk of models hanging around for quite a long while into AoS (well until last saturday really). Even though they'd lost many core models like spearmen, the army still had a functional core to them. 

So yes I can see some leaving; thing is Cities might bring them around and the rumoured new "light" aelf army might well do so as well - right now its a down period, where we've only had removals. We need a boost of gaining models, but that might not happen until the new light aelf army (if that even comes, GW might even kill them off in the lore before geting to models). So it could still be a year or two. 

Yeah, it's a bit of a different thing to TK if Tyrone and Chuckles are still established characters in the setting who are clearly implied to have forces of their own mustering in Hysh. As opposed to the very minor Easter eggs about Settra, and Bretonnians being implied to have become the deranged cannibal race. Its still a pretty big leap of faith though with nothing new announced and so much HE stuff going though

I don't remember, what happened to the Night Goblin fanatics and other old goblin models that got superseded by the Gloomspite release? There could theoretically be an updated Light Elf release that includes new sculpts like reimagined high fantasy Spireguard etc alongside whatever this new stuff is somewhere down the line, but I don't remember there being a corresponding bonfire of Moonclan stuff causing ruffled feathers at the end of 2018, I feel like it was quite a quick changeover?

- A guy who spent the last 6 months painting 10 Spireguard, and folks they don't even look great

4 minutes ago, Jefferson Skarsnik said:

I don't remember, what happened to the Night Goblin fanatics and other old goblin models that got superseded by the Gloomspite release?

They got dumped into Last Chance to Buy or just straight up dropped with no warning (I can't remember exactly). The fact that they gave early warning about model kits being retired this time was a big flag as its normal for kits to be retired when their armies get a battletome for the first time.

So as much as this frustrates me as a wanderers players, can we please keep squatting discussions in the squatting thread or respective army threads.  I came to Rumors thread to escape all the negativity and disappointment of the other threads.  Let's get back to rumors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1