The Rumour Thread

Just now, Mutton said:

Lovely models, but did they have to call them "Kurnothi"? We already have Kurnoth Hunters and Kurnoth himself. People who aren't intimately familiar with all of this will be confused whether you're talking about giant tree people, a woodland god, or beast-elves. That aside, I just don't think it's an interesting name.

In the Old World the Sylvanath and Wanderers were one and the same army. These might be one small vestige of that old alliance that wasn't shattered aeons ago. So it fits really well for both forces.

They could also be those who were expelled by the Gods of the Trees, but who have held onto their beliefs, just in isolation. 

3 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

Too many tree aelves. 🤟😉😂

Nope, too many not-tree aelves. The not-tree aelves are the boring ones. We're finally getting around to the only aelves that matter. 😋

They could release 13 factions of aelves and if none of them had anything to do with Wanderers there still wouldn't be enough aelves for me. Conversely, if there was only one faction of aelves and they looked something like Wanderers then they could stop there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sorokyl said:

I mean, this version of AoS is centered around the Soul Wars. pretty central to the Soul wars is Slaneesh, and the siphoning of Aelf souls by Tyrion, Teclics, Malerion and Morathi.  We have already gotten Khinerai, Melusai, and Idoneth Deepkin out of this.  The Idoneth were an early attempt with flaws. Presumably they kept trying and successfully created new aelves from this that are something different. 

In the recent  Realmslayer audio drama, Gotrek sees a "Priestess robed in White and blue with a tall miter and crescent moon staff bedecked with symbols of Hysh" and says "I think I've just discovered what's gone wrong in this world"
The battlesmith with him says "I don't understand... it's just a priestess of Teclis"
Gotrek is familiar with Teclis, and the aelves of the old world, so there are for sure some Hysh aelves in the mortal realms that are somehow different. 

That's obviously just one mention, and they are mentioned else where.  
Will they get an army in AoS? Probably. Soon? Who knows. 

My point is, You compared them to dwarves. Dwarves are not currently central to the storyline in AoS. The Soul Wars are, and the pulling of Souls from Slaneesh is a major story point. It's not going to be surprising if more comes from that. 

"Central" is a bit of an exaggeration.  They are an important part, certainly, but the real center of the Soul Wars conflict is (as always) the Stormcast, and their continual denial of souls to Nagash

11 minutes ago, xking said:

Nagash is at war with all life, as he seeks to annihilate it.  He is also enraged at the sylvaneth because they recycle their souls instead of the souls going to him.  He is enraged at all the chaos gods because they devour souls that he thinks belong to him.  And  he is enraged at the aelf gods(Teclis, Tyrion, Malerion etc)  because they steal aelf souls from Slaneesh  to remake their race that he thinks belong to him. 

Yes, absolutely.  But as usual, the primary plot revolves around his hatred for Stormcast and Sigmar.  The other elements are not quite in that league.

3 hours ago, Overread said:

In the Old World the Sylvanath and Wanderers were one and the same army. These might be one small vestige of that old alliance that wasn't shattered aeons ago. So it fits really well for both forces.

They could also be those who were expelled by the Gods of the Trees, but who have held onto their beliefs, just in isolation. 

Image result for an alliance once existed between

4 hours ago, decker_cky said:

The beastgrave models barely do anything to the existing aesthetics of the beastmen - the poses are ever so slightly more dynamic, but most of the details fit right in with the old models. 

Yes, they fit the aesthetic but they’re better poses, better details, better sculpts - generally just better, which is what I would like. The only thing stopping me from starting a Beastmen army is the static old models. Re-do them with modern plastic technology and minus the posing restrictions that the current ones were designed with and I’m all in. Same goes for Seraphon. And Skaven.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikethefish said:

Yes, absolutely.  But as usual, the primary plot revolves around his hatred for Stormcast and Sigmar.  The other elements are not quite in that league.

I gather that this is merely a symptom of GW funneling as little attention to anything not Stormcast as they can get away with. Though that does seem to change in the last month or so.

2 hours ago, ManlyMuppet88 said:

Yes, they fit the aesthetic but they’re better poses, better details, better sculpts - generally just better, which is what I would like. The only thing stopping me from starting a Beastmen army is the static old models. Re-do them with modern plastic technology and minus the posing restrictions that the current ones were designed with and I’m all in. Same goes for Seraphon. And Skaven.

To be fair, more static poses lend themselves well to massed hordes/troops that look like an army instead of large group of acrobatic sword-weilding fighters

5 hours ago, KrecikOwsik said:

I'm not really sure why so many people complain about Kurnothi's hair. I'm not a great fan but it's not a new idea. Look for some fantasy arts from 90's. For example in mtg cards. Most of elves had orange, sometimes spiky hair.

Just because it’s not new, doesn’t mean people will necessarily like it. 

So if the Kurnothi are a soon to be faction, and they were combined with Wanderers, what out of the Wanderers would stay? 

•  Nomad Prince 
  • Wild Riders/Sisters of The Thorn
  • Wildwood Rangers/Eternal Guard

That would serve as a solid base for expansion. 

I’d like to see: 

• Kurnoth or an aspect of him. The new Sylvaneth book makes it clear Kurnoth has the whole live and die with the seasons thing going on. It could be that as he died in his winter aspect, and Gyran was then dying under Nurgles sway, Kurnoth couldn’t return. Now that Gyran is resurgent, so too could Kurnoth. The Battletome also implies some aspect of him lingers, that is where the Kurnoth hunters came from. 
  • Faun units, both Melee and Ranged 
  • Centaurs 
  • Some form of beast units

6 minutes ago, AthlorianStoners said:

So if the Kurnothi are a soon to be faction, and they were combined with Wanderers, what out of the Wanderers would stay? 

•  Nomad Prince 
  • Wild Riders/Sisters of The Thorn
  • Wildwood Rangers/Eternal Guard

That would serve as a solid base for expansion. 

I’d like to see: 

• Kurnoth or an aspect of him. The new Sylvaneth book makes it clear Kurnoth has the whole live and die with the seasons thing going on. It could be that as he died in his winter aspect, and Gyran was then dying under Nurgles sway, Kurnoth couldn’t return. Now that Gyran is resurgent, so too could Kurnoth. The Battletome also implies some aspect of him lingers, that is where the Kurnoth hunters came from. 
  • Faun units, both Melee and Ranged 
  • Centaurs 
  • Some form of beast units

I would think more of the heroes could stay (Spellweaver and Waywatcher spring to mind), and something like Orion could make a reappearance (he fits so well, and chronicles recently available).

Sisters of the Watch might also stay. Not sure why, but I have that feeling.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

I would think more of the heroes could stay (Spellweaver and Waywatcher spring to mind), and something like Orion could make a reappearance (he fits so well, and chronicles recently available).

Sisters of the Watch might also stay. Not sure why, but I have that feeling.

Yeah some of the other heroes would fit visually as well. 

I figure Orion is Kurnoth in age of Sigmar, a lot of there lore seems interchangeable. 

Just now, AthlorianStoners said:

Yeah some of the other heroes would fit visually as well. 

I figure Orion is Kurnoth in age of Sigmar, a lot of there lore seems interchangeable. 

I think Orion was an aspect/avatar of Kurnous before, so just doing that again does not seem out of place.

4 hours ago, ManlyMuppet88 said:

And StD (I’m sorry) 😬

Edited by Lernaean
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

Kurnoth died in the age of chaos, killed by Nurgle peeps. 

They could bring him back, replanted a bit like Alerielle. Personally I think it's more likely Orion will be a named character for them who leads their forces. 

I don't think it's going to be Orion. I mean, in times of copyright claims even if they pick Orion, they will change his name.

• Like 1