The Rumour Thread

Summing up recent clues and reveals:

- In these promo images there are usually four pictures representing four grand alliances, therefore, the new face belongs almost certainly to someone from the GA Death;

- The face has got some bony jaws underneath which scream GHUR (compare: Untamed Beasts);

- Narrator in the WU: Beastgrave promo said that they (Stormcasts?) escaped Shadespire (to Ghur), but the Katophranes' curse have followed;

- Narrator (probably new death lider)  in the Tithe video said, that he had returned to his homeland;

- The Tithe video smells of some eastern empires, be it music, architecture, etc. (can it be how Ghur feels like?)

There is only one explanation - we will have a new beasty death faction, led by a former Katophrane who originally was born and raised in Ghur, than perfomed some shenanigans in Shadespire and when finally ****** hit the fan returned home to collect the due tithe.

Edited by PaniuBraniu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Only problem is that Katophranes are by lore completely unfriendly to Nagash so much that he cursed them forever 

Was Nagash not Sigmar to imprison them so they would not be in a Stormvault and, would they ever come back, they would not be allies of Nagash...

Edited by alghero81
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

Was just looking through some of the info released and was drawing some threads, that may be tenuous but might paint a picture as to what we're seeing in the last two videos of the reveal; the mentioned underworlds army and the final tithe of bone video. Now you may have to bare with me here but i think some of this lines up so we begin here: 

<iframe src='https://players.brightcove.net/5778310444001/tEqh4qwjNN_default/index.html?videoId=6061545295001' allowfullscreen frameborder=0></iframe>

so the warband has bows and melee weapons
It mentions directly that the curse of the Katophrane followed them, guessing Stormcast narrator, out of Shadespire

which brings us here:
https://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Katophrane
read the society section for ticking the box here on the weapons.

Next we have old ugly:
04DE2536-7434-43E1-A9A9-4CD428268E09.jpe

looks pretty similar to:
s-l300.jpg

In design at least this seems too close to not be the same headdress even if it is now a gruesome morph by comparison.

So by now i'm pretty confident that the new warband is the Katophranes, as for how this lines up with the tithe of bones video we have this character:
https://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Makesh

could this be our main contender as who is being portrayed here? 
Katophrane: yep
Wanabe necromancer: yep
Potentially twisted by Nagash and brought back to undeath: I can't see why not
Smashed by sigmar: ? jury is out on that but i certainly see a big old whole in his narrative that could be exploited and filled as such
Escaped from a prison: ? Maybe depends on what you class as a prison, shadeglass? stormvault? death itself? Temple he died in before his soul flew off?

<iframe src='https://players.brightcove.net/5778310444001/tEqh4qwjNN_default/index.html?videoId=6061538769001' allowfullscreen frameborder=0></iframe>

So in conclusion new army/extension to nagash: Battleome Katophranes + a warband to go with them?

Even if the battletome part might be a miss, which for sure i can accept, seems close enough that the warband will be the Katophranes possibly lead by Makesh. But hey it's all speculation here right...

My own theory is that Sigmar has been sending Stormcast into the Underworld, not only to gather Shadeglass to help perfect the Stormcast remaking process, but also to rescue Katophrane souls from Nagash's imprisonment, and has been turning them into a new Chamber (Ruination?) ready to be his instrument to topple Nagash as the supreme God of Death and replace him with another death god that has so far eluded Nagash's grasp.  

Phew, just realised that was all one sentence.  You may now breathe.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

My own theory is that Sigmar has been sending Stormcast into the Underworld, not only to gather Shadeglass to help perfect the Stormcast remaking process, but also to rescue Katophrane souls from Nagash's imprisonment, and has been turning them into a new Chamber (Ruination?) ready to be his instrument to topple Nagash as the supreme God of Death and replace him with another death god that has so far eluded Nagash's grasp.  

Let it never be said that AoS lacks lore now 😂. I love all these speculations.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Aelfric said:

Your speculation is 👀 The ruination chamber could very easily be damage focused mages and magical weaponry/artillery... "Ruination" is defined as widescale destruction, so my personal guess is that chamber opens when AOS gets siege warfare or large scale ruleset.

25 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

Your speculation is 👀 The ruination chamber could very easily be damage focused mages and magical weaponry/artillery... "Ruination" is defined as widescale destruction, so my personal guess is that chamber opens when AOS gets siege warfare or large scale ruleset.

The Katophranes were masters of science, alchemy and magic and had knowledge of them enough to use grave-sand to make themselves immortal.  That was why Nagash placed his curse upon them - because they had denied him their souls.  My speculation is that Sigmar will build a chamber of them to fight death magic with death magic to bring about the downfall, or ruination of,  Nagash. 

Of course, this is just theory and yours is just as likely, or it could be something else entirely.  I am, though, looking forward to seeing what each of the unopened chambers is for eventually.

19 minutes ago, xking said:

Remember the Great Oubliette. https://malignportents.com/campaign-narrative/ 

Could have had some of the Katophranes imprisoned in there.

But that campaign is all about attacking Nagash, was it not? The prison below Glymmforge contained tyrants and mad men, there may have been Katophranes but if that was the case they would have been imprisoned before Nagash curse (as otherwise wouldn’t have been tyrants and kings) and they would still be below the city in the Thousand Tombs... the being fred at the end of Forbidden Power is super strong, comes at the very least from the Age of Myth (if not Opd World) and was imprisoned by Sigmar in a Stormvault after which everyone forgot about him!

Not denying Katophranes may come one day but they don’t fit the pattern for this one..

13 minutes ago, xking said:

What are you talking about? The Great Oubliette is an underworld that contains any being that has every opposed Nagash(according to the campaign).

It has nothing to  do with Glymmforge or the Thousand Tombs.

Right the link you provided opened on the Malign Portents campaign and didnt find any reference on the Oubliette. I searched better and my point stand, those in the Oubliette are prisoners of Nagash that I don’t recall being liberated... and even if they were, they wouldn’t stand with Nagash!

Anyway Shadespire, Thousand Tombs and Great Oubliette are not a Stormvault under Lake Lethis were this guy was kept since the age of myth... So none of those references are valid unless otherwise mentioned later on by GW

12 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

Anyway Shadespire, Thousand Tombs and Great Oubliette are not a Stormvault under Lake Lethis were this guy was kept since the age of myth... So none of those references are valid unless otherwise mentioned later on by GW

Do we know how Shadespire was founded? Who was the original founder and inventor of the whole death cheating phenomena? Maybe Katophanes were just beneficiaries of Sigmar sending the founder to Lake Lethis Stormvault for being too potent?

5 minutes ago, xking said:

Hundreds of cells are smashed asunder and the souls within released to recorporeate. Occupants trapped since before the Age of Myth emerge, blinking in the light. Ancient magisters and mages, disgraced vampiric aristocrats, snarling greenskin warlords, ice-hearted queens and Sigmar-touched heroes, blind loremasters, duardin kings and arrogant Skaven clan-lords; all of these and countless others burst from captivity and seek to make good their escape.

Anarchy reigns as battles are interrupted by the resurrection of beloved heroes, the return of long-lost loved ones and the sudden recorporeation of nemeses long thought slain. Some souls are trammelled once again, of course, but many more escape.

This was a year ago now and I don't remember any of the new releases being linked to this part of the story directly. I do wonder if we will see any Great Oubliette escapees being included in the official lore or if they were just giving us something to build into our own narratives. The suggestion about the next stormcast chamber made above, maybe with some anvils of heldenhammer special characters, would be a possible future direction for this lore nugget (there will be another stormcast chamber at some point after all...)

4 hours ago, alghero81 said:

Only problem is that Katophranes are by lore completely unfriendly to Nagash so much that he cursed them forever 

Was Nagash not Sigmar to imprison them so they would not be in a Stormvault and, would they ever come back, they would not be allies of Nagash...

Not all of them were, the Sepulchral Warden was the Lord marshal of Shadespire and sided with Nagash and was killed for it by the other Katophrane and going off the Shadespire novel has been converting the citizens of shadespire into worship of Nagash. Now I don't think whatever's been released from the Lethis stormvault is a Katophrane but it is possible (though unlikely). That said if the new faction were actually Katophrane I will be over the moon, I've been wanting them since I heard about them.

As for the dude in the Beastgrave artwork I think there's definitely a chance it could be one, it does look very similar to the design of the mask tile and if there were ever a game where it would make sense to first introduce the faction it would definitely be Warhammer Underworlds imo. To me it doesn't look fully formed, like the skin is missing from what little fleshy parts we can see of it's face, perhaps one of the Katophrane figured out a way/tricked someone into somehow giving it form possibly using bodies and bones found in the Beastgrave, kind of like how Nagash is sometimes described as being formed of masses of bone and flesh when he appears in the novels. Or it could just be another Darkoath or something which I don't think would be as interesting but it'd still be cool, I can't wait to find out.

Ah ok sorry @xking I was replying to someone else who hypothesised the great being as a Katophranes.

Interesting point about those heroes being liberated but to be fair to me it seems more an excuse to create new special characters than a faction, they look too heterogeneous.

While it is possible Nagash imprisoned some Katophranes outside of Shadespire they would definitely be in the minority of the entire faction as most of them are still under Shadespire.

That face in Ghur could mean anything, even just being a logo with no actual reference as Nightvault logo. But I’m looking forward to see what will be the theme of season 3 as it looks quite “wild” (pun intended).

We still don't know anything about this new faction and I guess we will not know before September considering previous timelines between teaser video and actual announcement? Can we expect something previewed in the next few events? In that case which ones are there? Gencon next week and Nova at the end of August?

3 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

That face in Ghur could mean anything, even just being a logo with no actual reference as Nightvault logo. But I’m looking forward to see what will be the theme of season 3 as it looks quite “wild” (pun intended).

That face does not belong to any existing Death faction, while it is certainly a face of death (glowing eyes). On that promo image they have included only new items - covers of the two battletomes for Order and Destruction, Warcry dude for Chaos and this face for Death. Moreover, the face matches 100% all the Shadespire aesthetics.

So it can not mean anything. It means one of two things (or both):

- it is a personification of Katophranes' curse that followed all the existing Shadespire bands into Ghur

or

- it is somehow connected to the Tithe video and foreshadows a new Death faction.

1 hour ago, JackStreicher said:

I played little with the contrast

CFAF09E3-6B5D-46C6-B618-89BC1B9E107C.jpeg.6f46428dc832850f81e8d4981798bfff.jpeg

It is certainly elven. And you can make out the Pauldron on it’s left side.

It seems to wear a big belt-buckle/stomach protection and a helmet?

Looks like he's carrying a spear/javelin in his right hand? Id even say he has a shield in the other hand

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PaniuBraniu said:

That face does not belong to any existing Death faction, while it is certainly a face of death (glowing eyes). On that promo image they have included only new items - covers of the two battletomes for Order and Destruction, Warcry dude for Chaos and this face for Death. Moreover, the face matches 100% all the Shadespire aesthetics.

So it can not mean anything. It means one of two things (or both):

- it is a personification of Katophranes' curse that followed all the existing Shadespire bands into Ghur

or

- it is somehow connected to the Tithe video and foreshadows a new Death faction.

It could just be the new logo of Season 3, every item in the banner represented something new presented in the open day and there was nothing from Underworlds. It could be the entity escaped from Shadespire and now in Ghur but not necessarily be a miniature or a new faction...

The new death faction has to be loyal to Nagash as the video says “my master raises the army I will lead”

I suspect people read to much into the face. I think it really just is the logo for underworlds season 3.

I think the escape from the great oubliette is an excuse dor players to use old world characters. It says the escapees are from before the age of myth. Also their descriptions match old world characters: vampiric ariatocrats - von Carsteins, blind loremasters - eltharion in a later retconned storyline, etc. 

I don’t think this event will result in new characters in the lore. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, elfhead said:

I suspect people read to much into the face. I think it really just is the logo for underworlds season 3.

Gotta agree with this. Shadespire and Nightvault both had comparable logos which didn't feature as playable characters. 

Edited by lare2