The Rumour Thread

3 minutes ago, mikethefish said:

I honestly don't mean to sound harsh, but I think you really need to accept the fact that GW is not really interested in rehashing old Tolkein fantasy tropes.  

Not trying to pick in you particularly, but that is just the gaming world we are all "living" in right now.  At least this strange human/Duardin/Aelf alliance army is relatively fresh and interesting.

rehashing old Tolkein fantasy tropes.

this strange human/Duardin/Aelf alliance army is relatively fresh and interesting

Uhhh...

Humans, Dwarfs and Elves uniting against the other stinkies in the world is pretty damn 'generic'. If anything, the animosity between them in the Old World was pretty refreshing compared to most 'generic' settings.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Uhhh...

Humans, Dwarfs and Elves uniting against the other stinkies in the world is pretty damn 'generic'. If anything, the animosity between them in the Old World was pretty refreshing compared to most 'generic' settings.

They ripped that off of Tolkien. That whole Dwarf vs Elves vs Humans thing is from Toklien works in the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Humans, Dwarfs and Elves uniting

Don't be so naive guys. GW just had to finish ASAP all factions in AoS 2.0 and get all their mini at least in a battletome. Then they can do whatever they want.

To do so, they arbitrary push together several groups into soup battletomes (hence the Orcs one today, and the free cities) and to avoid update and give more build fredom, we can soup...oups...mix even free cities and KO or Sylvaneth ;-).

All of this is purely arbitrary and driven by BUSINESS, not lore. Lore is then adapted.

So, now, I don't give a damn, I'm happy to see those 2 new tomes as they refresh my 20+ yo miniatures.

For the rest (ogors, death) , who knows... My bet: ogor=> same Orc (from today) treatment with mixing beastclaw.  Death, dunno. Maybe half new army to have something new on the AoS front...

• Confused 1

Just now, ShadowSwordmaster said:

They ripped that off of Tolkien. That whole Dwarf vs Elves vs Humans thing is from Toklien works in the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings.

What most people describe as 'Generic Tolkien Fantasy' they mean to be 'Generic Dungeons & Dragons Fantasy'. The vast majority of generic fantasy settings have Dwarves and Elves as tolerated friends, in the same way that 'generic' magic is everywhere, all the humans wear platemail, all of the Orcs are big, muscular, greenish barbarians, etc.

Tolkien's Middle Earth works are actually pretty different to what most would consider 'Generic Tolkien Fantasy'.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

What most people describe as 'Generic Tolkien Fantasy' they mean to be 'Generic Dungeons & Dragons Fantasy'. The vast majority of generic fantasy settings have Dwarves and Elves as tolerated friends, in the same way that 'generic' magic is everywhere, all the humans wear platemail, all of the Orcs are big, muscular, greenish barbarians, etc.

Tolkien's Middle Earth works are actually pretty different to what most would consider 'Generic Tolkien Fantasy'.

Yeah, but that does not excuse the amount of stuff that GW ripped off for Warhammer Fantasy.

Let´s recap:
All in all we had a great lot of new teases and some stuff that allows us some assumptions. Some people may not enjoy the taste of those previews, but all in all that quite stuff incoming:

• Cities of Sigmar und Orruk Warhordes Battletomes
  • Warhammer Legends for some Aelves, Dispossesed
  • Ogors with a new Tyrant
  • WHU Season 3 Name and some model designs including Centaurs
  • The Tithe Teaser

Okay, so far the facts.

In general GW seems to use the Soup Armies in a new manner with the Cities. This one is quite fun as it is really into the soup theme. Also it is kind of a "new old" thing. We basically get a new faction without new models. We can assume that the included Factions won´t see a tome on their own in the near future. Still there is the question, what the Cities will consist of and what units will be removed. Therefore it will be a hot topic here in tga in the next weeks as there is a lot of potential for a heated debatte as there are a lot of yet unknown design decisions.

Orks are fine I guess, the merge will improve the issue of too small model variety by allowing the souped style. Terrain and magic may be expected. Nothing really hot here untill we have some rule previews.

Ogors are quite interesting: Having only one new hero it may be a sign of them getting a Tome soon as well as be Part of one of the 2-Faction Sets. Rumours about such a box with wanderers are already around for some time. But why would gw only show the Ogor half? Maybe it is linked to the Cities of Sigmar, as they will contain wanderers? Maybe it is related to the Tithe. Maybe something completly different (Release in a SC!-Box?). Also we have a new Lore Elements mentioning the Bone Pact.

WHU Seasons 3 may once again include new elements like Nightvault did with magic. Also we have some elvish and centaur like looking new models. A lot of room for speculations here, especially as centaurs are something new to AoS

The Tithe. A lot of Room for Rumours and theories. It might be a second part to Forbidden Power, so we have a 2 Part Campaign like we did with Vigilius for 40k. Might end in a new faction. Might end in a new model. Who knows?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Both the Ogor and Tithe reveals very clearly mention bones in specific ways. Cue the oriental theme, and it seems quite clear that those are linked.

Ogors vs Death? I am willing to bet on that. Feel sorry for the ogors trying to feed on dusty bones though. :)

Edited by Yokai
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, Aelven supremacy said:

Celtic?!?!?!  It’s really really oriental...

I heard it three times now.

1. Time I thought it was Egyptian

2. Time I could have sworn it was Celtic/Nordic

3. time it‘s obviously Chinese/Mongolian wtf!? 🤣

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Haha 2

For me it was oriental since first hearing. I don't think it's Vlad (or Settra - he's defending Glymmerforge for now ;) ). And I don't think it will be Soulblight - more likely Deathrattle because those buildings (which look oriental too) are clearly made of bones. and "tithe of BONES".

And with Cities of Sigmar - finally a reason to build my Free City of Al-Nephtis force. Who want's to see laser cannons made of Luminark of Hysh? I just hope GW won't discontinue Shadow Warriors as they're going to be converted into Freeguild Soldiers. Same goes for Lion Ranger chariots and infantry.

34 minutes ago, Charleston said:

In general GW seems to use the Soup Armies in a new manner with the Cities. This one is quite fun as it is really into the soup theme. Also it is kind of a "new old" thing. We basically get a new faction without new models. We can assume that the included Factions won´t see a tome on their own in the near future. Still there is the question, what the Cities will consist of and what units will be removed.... 

Ogors are quite interesting: Having only one new hero it may be a sign of them getting a Tome soon as well as be Part of one of the 2-Faction Sets. Rumours about such a box with wanderers are already around for some time. But why would gw only show the Ogor half? Maybe it is linked to the Cities of Sigmar, as they will contain wanderers? Maybe it is related to the Tithe. Maybe something completly different (Release in a SC!-Box?). Also we have a new Lore Elements mentioning the Bone Pact.

WHU Seasons 3 may once again include new elements like Nightvault did with magic. Also we have some elvish and centaur like looking new models. A lot of room for speculations here, especially as centaurs are something new to AoS

My (high speculative) guess is you've answered your own question on 'Why show only the ogre half' of a theoretical elf vs ogre box. The new centaur and elf from ghur look like a 'wild elf' new faction to me. possibly styled off an expansion of the old wardancer concept similar to how DOK was drawn from old witch elves (with centaurs instead of medusae/medusas) . But separate to wanderers who seem to have been folded into free cities (also the same with other old dark elf stuff). And hey presto you have an interesting battle box of slow tough ogres vs fast and fragile elves, centaurs and friends. 

PS RIP swordmasters 

Edited by Dr Ben
Adding comment

So yeah interesting-yet-intriguing day. When is the next Preview Seminar ? 

At least Gencon 2019 is in 10 days, apparently :

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/05/14/a-summer-of-warhamer-eventsgw-homepage-post-3/ 

(the article doesn't mention a preview seminar, but then for the ATC neither and yet we got a Warcry war band revealed there.....)