The Rumour Thread

The early modern HRE look of the old Empire range is unique and offers a good contrast with the rest of the high fantasy AoS range. The honest infantrymen with halberds propped against whatever comes against their city-state. I'm glad they stuck with that rather than churning out some generic fantasy humans.

• Like 3

Just now, Clan's Cynic said:

I must have at least 3000pts of various Dwarf/Empire/Dark-Wood-High ELF models I collected over the years that I can use with this release. Much of that is just grey plastic I thought I'd never brush the dust off again.

I very, very, rarely get hyped for AoS stuff but I am over the moon with this.

My High elves can be used! I am only hoping for a High Elf battleline option so i can keep the aesthetic looks of the whole troop.

• Like 1

RE : Cities of Sigmar tome...

They could very well expand common, AOS humans later with, for example, Devoted of Sigmar (if they aren't in the book, that is !) - just like Nighthaunts followed Legions Of Nagash pretty closely !!

EDIT : 

And how about GW release some CITIES OF SIGMAR scenery that aren't ruins ???

Edited by HorticulusTGA
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Infeston said:

The thing is with all the combined army battletomes I really have to ask why did GW split these factions in the first place? Especially for Destruction it often didn't even make sense lore-wise to split factions. 

because at launch AoS was not a game it was purely a boutique model sales product. So shattering the armies and forming Grand Alliances was, I thikn, GW's way at the time to have a very simplistic 4 faction "game" with super casual rules whilst letting them add and remove models at a whim without long term support. Those 1 model armies might have got their own release slot with 4 new models and then another 4 model army might have been removed as moulds got old etc... GW wouldn't have to worry because both were in Grand alliance order so the order alliance still kicks around and besides, at that stage, it wasn't a game just models so who cares if an army left.

Thankfully they abandoned that idea

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, xking said:

The free cities battletome is not my problem. I just think that normal humans deserved much better. This is age of Sigmar we should have gotten new humans. 

I think we will with time, but for now it ease the feelings of our armies beeing removed in the future, and it is quite a relief!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Azamar said:

There’s a black guard on the lower row (banner 2nd from left) so at least some darklings hopefully are in. 

Hopefully they are as I would like to get entirely new Malerion faction without 10+ year old models. 

6 minutes ago, Austin said:

I think when people say lazy they mean that the very old Empire models are still being used.  Not the concept of the battletome itself which seems pretty cool.

5 minutes ago, xking said:

I can get over the cities tome. I can't get over the normal humans being just empire models. Normal humans deserved new interesting models, they deserved a revamp.

I think that new mortal human models are a 'when' and not an 'if' judging by the banner art on the Community site. However there's only so many projects that they can work on at a time and unlike 40k, AoS gets entire, brand new, sweeping ranges very regularly.

As much as I'm sure most people would love new Free People models, I'd take a stop-gap Legions of Nagash style book in the mean time rather than suffer with unviable rules for another three years or so.

• Like 3

I think this can only be considered a win for everyone. 

Creates two new power dynamics for a bunch of factions that haven’t received much love. Gives a greater sense of direction as to where they can expand with other Non-Souped factions while still letting players with legacy armies to play at a competitive level and get excited for their armies. 

Regarding the topic of humans, this by no means to invalidates future human releases, it actually helps as now they won’t have to content with or step on the toes of a freeguild standalone faction. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

From the article: 

"Cities of Sigmar is an incredibly exciting battletome, taking sub-factions as diverse as the Scourge Privateers and the Ironweld Arsenal and forging them into a single force. No fewer than six sets of allegiance abilities allow you to field mixed forces of Stormcast Eternals, duardian, humans and aelves, with a massive roster of units available. The possibilities for themed armies with this book are limitless – from fast-moving scout forces of Pistolliers backed up by Grundstok Gunhaulers from Tempest’s Eye, to charging lances of Hammerhalian Demigryph Knights.

What’s more, you’ll be able to add Stormcast Eternals, Kharadron Overlords and Sylvaneth into certain Free Cities armies not as allies but as part of your main force, giving you an incredible level of choice when mustering for battle."

Kharadron Overlords joined the party!

• Like 1

The article for the new battletomes says "the new two" so I am wondering if any new factions will be shown at all now. 

I think if Slaves to Darkness are not shown today that is not a good sign for them.

-edit

Is it possible that we will go through this entire weekend with no new models for AoS proper? That would be crazy right?

Edited by Austin
new thought

I have to say that as a Destruction player I like the concept of the Free Cities more than the combined Orruk Warclans. Maybe because I read a lot about it before in the lore and in Firestorm.

I personally think I am gonna skip the combined Orruk battletome. I am now more of an Troggoth, Grot and Ogor guy. I have played too many fantasy games and settings with Orks. So I am craving for new concepts and new ideas. Especially Troggoths and Ogors, because most fantasy settings don't explore Trolls and Ogres that much. This is why I like GW Ogors. They often have a rich backstory and aren't just brainless cave monsters. 

I also really liked the Beastclaw Raiders battletome and concepts. I really hope GW will focus on Ogors one day. I am waiting for new Ogor models and new things since the beginning of AoS. 

• Like 3

Just now, Gecktron said:

What’s more, you’ll be able to add Stormcast Eternals, Kharadron Overlords and Sylvaneth into certain Free Cities armies not as allies but as part of your main force, giving you an incredible level of choice when mustering for battle."

Kharadron Overlords joined the party!

Aye but not as part of the Tome - as a special subset of allies. This might even just be within 1 Battalion option each - much like how Daughters of Khaine can take Stormcast in a specific combination with one of their Battalions 

Just now, Infeston said:

I have to say that as a Destruction player I like the concept of the Free Cities more than the combined Orruk Warclans. Maybe because I read a lot about it before in the lore and in Firestorm.

I personally think I am gonna skip the combined Orruk battletome. I am now more of an Troggoth, Grot and Ogor guy. I have played too many fantasy games and settings with Orks. So I am craving for new concepts and new ideas. Especially Troggoths and Ogors, because most fantasy settings don't explore Trolls and Ogres that much. This is why I like GW Ogors. They often have a rich backstory and aren't just brainless cave monsters. 

I also really liked the Beastclaw Raiders battletome and concepts. I really hope GW will focus on Ogors one day. I am waiting for new Ogor models and new things since the beginning of AoS. 

Beastclaw Raiders.  Toss a drink back to our favorite faction that deserves so much more love!

• Like 1

Just now, Overread said:

Aye but not as part of the Tome - as a special subset of allies. This might even just be within 1 Battalion option each - much like how Daughters of Khaine can take Stormcast in a specific combination with one of their Battalions 

They said not as allies. KO have been part of the Tempest Eye allegiance in Firestorm. My guess is that they can be part of a Free Cities army, they just don't put the profiles in the book.

• Like 2

Ogors, your day will come!

I'm so glad we're getting a free cities book, and while it makes me a little sad that it looks like there will be no dispossessed-only book/revamp, I hope there will be good rules for playing dispossessed-only armies and the like. 

Regarding orruks, I'm kinda  sad because this looks like it would have been a great chance to roll the Greenskinz models into the book with IJ and Bonesplitterz... oh well!

• Like 1

Not having Greenskins in makes me kind of sad, I have thousands of points. Still, the combination looks good. Maybe we'll still see some new models? There is a savage orruk riding a gore grunta on the cover...

I converted some black orcs with savage orruk weapons to use as allies. They'll feel right at home in this soup tome...