The Rumour Thread

9 hours ago, michu said:

Slight 40k offtopic but it brings hope that something similar could be done for AoS (or at least WFB) - EISENHORN IS GOING TO HAVE A TV SHOW!!!

‘it is worth saying now, development is far from a short process, so don’t expect the Inquisition on your TV for a few years just yet’ 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/07/17/heretic-traitor-rogue-inquisitor-tv-stargw-homepage-post-2/

3 hours ago, Kramer said:

‘it is worth saying now, development is far from a short process, so don’t expect the Inquisition on your TV for a few years just yet’ 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/07/17/heretic-traitor-rogue-inquisitor-tv-stargw-homepage-post-2/

As long as they hurry up and announce Idris Elba as Eisenhorn & Scarlett Johansson as his plucky Primaris Space Marine sidekick i’ll happily wait however many years it takes for it to come to a screen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

39 minutes ago, JPjr said:

As long as they hurry up and announce Idris Elba as Eisenhorn & Scarlett Johansson as his plucky Primaris Space Marine sidekick i’ll happily wait however many years it takes for it to come to a screen.

Amen brother!!

(Isn’t his nickname the 007 of the grimdark future? 😉)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JPjr said:

im more interested in who they will get to play Harlon... hands down my fav character from the series and the only one to really survive Eisenhorn's nonsense

22 hours ago, CitizenX said:

I've been looking over this, but other than the Campaign rules mentioning quests for non-Chaos warbands, what makes you think this is the case?

Having specific Order vs Chaos and Destro vs Chaos dioramas on the pages for narrative play, maybe I read too much into that though. It does feel like they'd be better off fleshing out all the rules for the 6 Chaos members before going fully into other warbands for competitive/matched play.

Thinking about how the Warcry warbands would work in AoS, I was originally not too keen on it, thought it was more of its own (more interesting tbh) thing and one which would not really pass on to the tabletop. Minimal visual and themtic coherence compared to most of the other AoS forces, which its fair to say are pretty visually homogenous in a way that WHFB armies usually weren't by virtue of how they tunnel down into a particular old subfaction or focus on exploring a particular theme. Why not just have a core of Darkoath marauders, horsemen, skirmishers, archers, etc?

But I was rereading Rob Sanders' Archaon novels and it struck me that they show a greater and weirder diversity of mortal forces in the chaos hordes than we ever saw on the tabletop. Eastern armoured pikemen, cannibal ogre-worshippers, mutated maggot-men with one mother, steppe horsemasters, a warrior-cult of mirrored knights. That's cool as heck and shows a lot of variation quite distinct from the traditional axes of mortal/beast/daemon or khorne/nurgle/tzeentch/slaanesh.  It's the kind of encyclopedic listing off of different groups that you see in Herodotus when he's listing off the different backgrounds of Xerxes's forces or, to use a more recent and probably more appropriate example, like in GRR Martin's books where Jon Snow sees the different distinct tribes of wildlings.

Could most of this variation be represented by, say, marauders with a variant paint scheme? Probably, rule-wise, but it does lead to a kind of smoothening out of the sheer amount of weirdness. If a new Chaos Hordes book consisted of Everchosen, Slaves to Darkness and Darkoath, the latter could be the opportunity to show the huge range of tribes and peoples that follow chaos in one way or another. Folks from all over the realms that have come to the Varanspire and then left again as part of the hordes of chaos, keeping their fighting styles.

So you could have a core of 'generic' darkoath marauders, horsemen, characters to represent those tribes who maybe don't deviate from the mean so much and to establish a slightly more normal core. Then you have a small phalanx of heavily armoured breachers from Chamon, a band or two of crow-masked skirmishers from Ulgu, fanatic shock troops from Shyish... Lots of visual contrast and variety, nothing else quite like it in AoS, united with a common colour scheme or banner or warpaint or base style. All the chaotic (eh? eh?) variety of a barbarian horde under a stern-faced brute in black armour, bearing the sigil of the Everchosen.

Like, if GW had spent the same amount of energy (as though this sort of thing can be easily transferred) developing a single battletome, there's no way it would ever have as much weird diversity and creativity as these 6-8 warbands. In a certain light it's like Warcry is an excuse to get 6-8 new boxes of unique marauders. Obviously it's not, GW is pushing this hard enough that they clearly want an AoS kill team but as a side effect that has the potential to make mortal undivided chaos more than muscleboys on parade, it's pretty cool. I think it's more meaningful than the simple and kind of halfassed way GW has incorporated the Shadespire warbands into the codices.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 4

8 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

Thinking about how the Warcry warbands would work in AoS, I was originally not too keen on it, thought it was more of its own (more interesting tbh) thing and one which would not really pass on to the tabletop. Minimal visual and themtic coherence compared to most of the other AoS forces, which its fair to say are pretty visually homogenous in a way that WHFB armies usually weren't by virtue of how they tunnel down into a particular old subfaction or focus on exploring a particular theme. Why not just have a core of Darkoath marauders, horsemen, skirmishers, archers, etc?

But I was rereading Rob Sanders' Archaon novels and it struck me that they show a greater and weirder diversity of mortal forces in the chaos hordes than we ever saw on the tabletop. Eastern armoured pikemen, cannibal ogre-worshippers, mutated maggot-men with one mother, steppe horsemasters, a warrior-cult of mirrored knights. That's cool as heck and shows a lot of variation quite distinct from the traditional axes of mortal/beast/daemon or khorne/nurgle/tzeentch/slaanesh.  It's the kind of encyclopedic listing off of different groups that you see in Herodotus when he's listing off the different backgrounds of Xerxes's forces or, to use a more recent and probably more appropriate example, like in GRR Martin's books where Jon Snow sees the different distinct tribes of wildlings.

Could most of this variation be represented by, say, marauders with a variant paint scheme? Probably, rule-wise, but it does lead to a kind of smoothening out of the sheer amount of weirdness. If a new Chaos Hordes book consisted of Everchosen, Slaves to Darkness and Darkoath, the latter could be the opportunity to show the huge range of tribes and peoples that follow chaos in one way or another. Folks from all over the realms that have come to the Varanspire and then left again as part of the hordes of chaos, keeping their fighting styles.

So you could have a core of 'generic' darkoath marauders, horsemen, characters to represent those tribes who maybe don't deviate from the mean so much and to establish a slightly more normal core. Then you have a small phalanx of heavily armoured breachers from Chamon, a band or two of crow-masked skirmishers from Ulgu, fanatic shock troops from Shyish... Lots of visual contrast and variety, nothing else quite like it in AoS, united with a common colour scheme or banner or warpaint or base style. All the chaotic (eh? eh?) variety of a barbarian horde under a stern-faced brute in black armour, bearing the sigil of the Everchosen.

Like, if GW had spent the same amount of energy (as though this sort of thing can be easily transferred) developing a single battletome, there's no way it would ever have as much weird diversity and creativity as these 6-8 warbands. In a certain light it's like Warcry is an excuse to get 6-8 new boxes of unique marauders. Obviously it's not, GW is pushing this hard enough that they clearly want an AoS kill team but as a side effect that has the potential to make mortal undivided chaos more than muscleboys on parade, it's pretty cool. I think it's more meaningful than the simple and kind of halfassed way GW has incorporated the Shadespire warbands into the codices.

Great post. I think that once Warcry is established that each warband will eventually be expanded upon and formed into full armies, as they are obviously investing heavily into the lore and characteristics of each tribe. 

Ideally an everchosen battletome would allow for the ability to take these different armies synergising under the slaves to darkness or everchosen keywords. 

Exactly, a disparate bunch of warriors who might not even speak the same language but are welded together by a chaos lord or emissary of the Varanspire.

To be honest I think it would work even if it wasn't full armies for each, just that these were clusters of units within the Darkoath faction. I don't think all of them could individually stand up to being expanded into AoS armies proper but saying 'here are my Iron Legionaries, here are my Iron Golem Breacher Ogres', etc would be cool.

2 hours ago, sandlemad said:

it struck me that they show a greater and weirder diversity of mortal forces in the chaos hordes than we ever saw on the tabletop

this is also my biggest issue with 40k... you have armies upon armies of traitor legion and demons, but no traitor guard models? there's not even that many CSM and they can't make more!

16 minutes ago, Sete said:

Dispointed with Stormcast choices.

Oh well.

lore-wise it makes sense, though I'd guess the only reason Deepkin can use eels is because their range is so limited... otherwise cavalry doesn't make any sense to include. Kinda wish we got prosecutors instead of longstrikes

Edited by CommissarRotke

18 minutes ago, Sete said:

Dispointed with Stormcast choices.

Oh well.

But you get GRYPH HOUNDS how can that be disappointing? I mean I guess it could be if you were thinking on taking other models, but darn it what beats a fearsome ferocious pack of gryph hounds?

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 minute ago, DrJekyll325 said:

It looks like the Iron Golems Signifer and Prefector may use the same body.  If there's only eight Iron Golems in the starter box, does that mean you'll only be able to build one or the other without picking up multiple sets?

Probably? Word on the street is you'll need more than one set to build everything.

• Like 1

Open Day Guesses:

1.  Chaos Undivided/Slaves to Darkness Battletome/Army

2.  New Destruction Battletome (Unified Ogres or Unified Greenskinz)

3.  Preview of other Warcry Warbands

4.  List of upcoming army unification/re-release plans

5.  An announcement about Free Peoples that turns into more Stormcast models as Sigmar opens another chamber.

3 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

the chambers yet to be opened are the most intriguing to me, so I can't say I'd be upset 😅

Honestly I wouldn't be too upset about it either (so long as other factions get stuff too), the Ruination chamber is the one I'm most interested in.

2 hours ago, Blueraven84 said:

Any Aos Open Day guesses? std? underworlds gangs? Two days to go.

Underworld Gangs wise I'm hoping for:

Daughters of Khaine
Either Nurgle or Slaanesh (most hoping for Slaanesh but either would be good)
Flesh Eater Courts

We've the lion cat which suggests and Aelf team 

2 hours ago, novakai said:

Chaos undivided tome or death army tome reveal

I'd wager a Chaos book over a Death, I'd figure a brand new Death Tome would want to be its own big event not sitting shadowing Warcry.