The Rumour Thread

Yes please! I knew* randomly buying a necromancer and box of bone boys when I got back into this dumb money sink of a hobby, before even reading any rules, would one day pay off. For the first time I’ll actually have a fully painted, based and ridiculously backstoried army to play with just like the big boys.

* Totally didn’t, had absolutely no clue whatsoever.

Edited by JPjr
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, HollowHills said:

No one I know seems to greatly care about Warcry. The belief seems to be that it may get played for a few months and then drop out of popularity. Whereas with AoS you can largely expect the same people to be playing it for years. 

Maybe it appeals more to an audience unfamiliar with wider AoS. 

I totally agree. I also cant understand GWs fascination with all that mini games from a pure business perspective. I understand that they try to diversify and esp get people into gaming that don't want to paint or collect huge armies, but in the end they are the only ones worth catering for. So they get a few extra people to buy a warband and then? While dedicated AoS and 40k players will buy new minis and armies on a big scale for years and years if GW doesn't mess up.

If I were GWs consultant I would strongly advise on firstly getting all fractions of AoS done and then maybe thinking about gimmicky side games. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

19 minutes ago, Naem said:

I totally agree. I also cant understand GWs fascination with all that mini games from a pure business perspective. I understand that they try to diversify and esp get people into gaming that don't want to paint or collect huge armies, but in the end they are the only ones worth catering for. So they get a few extra people to buy a warband and then? While dedicated AoS and 40k players will buy new minis and armies on a big scale for years and years if GW doesn't mess up.

If I were GWs consultant I would strongly advise on firstly getting all fractions of AoS done and then maybe thinking about gimmicky side games. 

Warcry as the Killteam equivalent is early in my view as well, I would have thought we'd have seen it around Christmas rather than Mid-year since by Christmas we should have the bulk of the game with Battletomes. That said Warcry isn't a gimmicky side game; its the intro game. Perhaps GW's plan is that they generate loads of Warcry interest now and then have another massive marketing bash around Christmas focused at purely new players. By which point Warcry has an established fanbase playing at many clubs; by which point most Battletomes are out. Now you've got the intro game being played at stores and clubs to welcome the newbies who just walked in and bought their first box of miniatures. The Battletomes are ready so that when they've had some fun playing with their Gutbuster force they can grab the Tome and move on toward Meeting Engagements. Heck by Christmas I'd wager Warcy will have expanded possibly toward 2000 point armies (based on its own internal point structure) or at least branched out a bit. Giving more of a buffer period between it and jumping into 1K games in AoS proper

Edited by Overread

50 minutes ago, Naem said:

That may be a reason why you are not a consultant. In general the boardgames market is worth much much much more than the niche wargames market. A small piece in the former may be worth more than a monopoly in the latter.

• Like 13
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Double Misfire said:

Doing the rounds on WhatsApp, no idea if real:

Ii5pvAy.png

eSLdiIo.png

So, using well-armoured guards with missile and melee as Vanguard Hunters, Gryph hounds as themselves and armoured Handgunner leaders (either with long guns or repeaters) should work as a replacement for SCE. 

Alternatively, Brutes can be replaced by Greatswords and Ardboys by guard.

Or Thralls by Guard, Reavers by militia, Akhalian guard by Demis or General on Horse (but they are too heavily armoured).

I don't think DoK or Death units could be adequately represented by Free People.

Squig hoppers could be some spare cav with melee weapons, but it's not brilliant, and squig herd has no Free Peoples counterpart.

Savage Orruks could be guards, but it's not a very interesting list.

All on the right bases, of course

It should be possible to make a Free Peoples list from this.

• Like 1

Plus GW is all about bringing in new customers from other markets. Boardgames are an ideal geeky market to tap into and recruit new gamers. It's important to remember that GW is on its own mostly in being the big drawing force in the wargame market. By and large all the other companies are too small or lack resources/investment in the right areas to actually branch out in a massive way. PP does some boardgames and are certainly doing decently, but they are small compared to GW. 

So for the wargame market to get bigger GW really has to push it to enlarge. All the smaller companies are simply mooching off the market GW builds. So a lot of the increased market competition is direct competition for GW's customers. Esp in the home region such as the UK. 

Board games, books, computer games, school outreach programs, supporting events, kids books, etc... There are loads of ways GW is working to reach out and bring profits in from other markets, but also increase the chances of attracting new customers. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Doing the rounds on WhatsApp, no idea if real:

Ii5pvAy.png

eSLdiIo.png

I doubt that list is real based just off the Stormcast.  Why would Stormcast be the only ranged warband in the game?  Also, raptors are way to overpowered for a skirmish game, they usually take on large monsters or hordes.  Liberators would be on that list at a minimum too.

From a flavor perspective, I can see Vanguard Rangers being the only Stormcast infiltrating around All-Points or whatever, but man that's a boring list for the faction with the largest roster in the game, not to mention conveniently the units most people don't have. (Personally I can swing it, but I haven't bothered painting any Gryph Hounds, so meh.)

It's also weird that Idoneth get access to their very powerful Eel Calvary and Gits can bring their squig riders, but Bonesplittas can't bring boars?

I won't say that list can't be real, but it's disappointing if so.

Also, we don't know what their actual stats will look like in Warcry so it is hard to say that raptors will be overpowered. I really want the SCE options to be Vanguard based, because I love those models but currently have no reason to take them instead of my Sacrosanct guys. Also, if hounds are on the list I am going to make an SCE list that is as much doggo as the rules allow.

Edited by CitizenX

24 minutes ago, madmac said:

From a flavor perspective, I can see Vanguard Rangers being the only Stormcast infiltrating around All-Points or whatever, but man that's a boring list for the faction with the largest roster in the game, not to mention conveniently the units most people don't have. (Personally I can swing it, but I haven't bothered painting any Gryph Hounds, so meh.)

It's also weird that Idoneth get access to their very powerful Eel Calvary and Gits can bring their squig riders, but Bonesplittas can't bring boars?

I won't say that list can't be real, but it's disappointing if so.

Squighoppers are very different then Boingrot bounders.  And it seems like only one of the options is there.  

The hidden part of all of this is how much of what is allowed.  Can you bring eel riders as a warband, or just one as a powerful leader?

Just now, JackdawGin said:

Squighoppers are very different then Boingrot bounders.  And it seems like only one of the options is there.  

The hidden part of all of this is how much of what is allowed.  Can you bring eel riders as a warband, or just one as a powerful leader?

It's a list of boxes/kits not units, so no reason to think Bounders are not allowed.

I don't doubt Eels will be very expensive, and I get that Idoneth have only two unit options otherwise, it's just odd to me that some factions get Cav and others don't.

Kill Teams was a massive success and kept the 8th Ed. wave rolling last year. For people with limited time these smaller games are huge. I think Warcry is going to follow in those footsteps and end up being a lot more popular than people give it credit for.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Neinball said:

Kill Teams was a massive success and kept the 8th Ed. wave rolling last year. For people with limited time these smaller games are huge. I think Warcry is going to follow in those footsteps and end up being a lot more popular than people give it credit for.

My (little) group dropped 40k and Necromunda to just play Kill Team. We will do the same for AoS to Warcry if it is even half as good as Kill Team!

We are VERY excited.

• Like 7

Kill team and warcry parallel...

Kill team was (is?) well appreciated at launch. The rules were nice and the starter set was top noch with an impressive content. Too bad that this starter box became soon no longer available. This was the first super bad point.

What happened next was less enjoying. The game transformed in a cash cow with many extensions. And the game quickly transformed itself in a multi rules multi extension multi everything that many players didn't follow. Too complex. too expensive.

As a result, most of my locals aren't playing it anymore. 8 were regular players, then 2 (very) occasional, then the game dive into the deepness of oblivion.

We can't avoid the comparison of Warcry to kill team. Same marketing, same content, same game approach. 

4 of my armies are ready for this game (SCE, NH, LoN, FEC) but I'll have to buy some additional things to be able to play them. hummmm, no way.

My heart (read: my addiction to plastic as a plastic junky) tells me to get the box but my brain will probably win by just pass on it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

What happened next was less enjoying. The game transformed in a cash cow with many extensions. And the game quickly transformed itself in a multi rules multi extension multi everything that many players didn't follow. Too complex. too expensive.

You'll aware that you don't need to use all expansions at the same time? Want simple game - core rules, want something more - add Commanders and/or Elites. The rules are as complex as you want.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, michu said:

You'll aware that you don't need to use all expansions at the same time? Want simple game - core rules, want something more - add Commanders and/or Elites. The rules are as complex as you want.

That is the problem. GW didn't include all the minis into the core rules: HQ, elite...that means that to play the minis you want, you need 3 boxes/expansions. I know that the core rule is enough to play (start!). but no, I don't like to buy some more extensions of warcry to play my elite AoS, or HQ AoS...too restrictive.

At least, GW didn't do this with apocalypse: everything is include in the box. All profiles/datasheets are available online for free. IMMEDIATLY.