The Rumour Thread

1 minute ago, Aryann said:

Warhammer Day seems like a another disappointment as in the preview they mention firstly WarCry and next Shadespire. To be honest I expected two new battletomes to be shown. 

They casually mention "other stuff too" without committing to anything. 

7 minutes ago, Aryann said:

Warhammer Day seems like a another disappointment as in the preview they mention firstly WarCry and next Shadespire. To be honest I expected two new battletomes to be shown. 

I understand where your coming from but they also mentioned:

"That’s not all! There will also be a painting competition, a paint-and-take area, as well as Warhammer Previews that will offer you a glimpse into the future of the Mortal Realms…"

That last bit seems encouraging for potential battletome previews, I think they are just trying to get folks excited about the stuff we already know about (Warcry, season 3 of Underworlds) so they can surprise us with some new announcement, hopefully for AoS itself.

• Like 1

So Warband boxes are going to be around $60-65? Woof. Think they missed the mark there. I was excited to buy multiple as soon as they release, but now I'm likely going to put off buying them for awhile. $40 would have been the sweet spot, especially since we're only getting 8-9 models in each box. This pricing is even more premium than Witch Elves, which basically cost as much as gold.

29 minutes ago, Aryann said:

It's only a disappointment if your expectations are too high. If you take the Studio Previews as what they really are, a preview of some of the things to be released in the near future, and not as wish fulfilment, previews become much more enjoyable.

For me the real disappointment is the 5 pages of salt we'll get on Saturday no matter what will be revealed.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Minis by Night said:

It's only a disappointment if your expectations are too high. 

No, we were told by GW to expect at least one new battletome for each GA by the end of the year. There are not many more "warhammer days" left in 2019 so I worry they will not keep their word. WarCry, Shadespire... These are bonuses, not the main dish. The longer it takes them to update all the armies to 2.0, the longer the game is unbalanced. Ask Kharadron, Ironjawz or Slaves to Darkness players what they think of high expectations. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Aryann said:

No, we were told by GW to expect at least one new battletome for each GA by the end of the year. There are not many more "warhammer days" left in 2019 so I worry they will not keep their word. WarCry, Shadespire... These are bonuses, not the main dish. The longer it takes them to update all the armies to 2.0, the longer the game is unbalanced. Ask Kharadron, Ironjawz or Slaves to Darkness players what they think of high expectations. 

Just because they aren’t previewed doesn’t mean they won’t be released. If there’s no warhammer event near enough to a release to preview it, it’ll still get released. We’ve still got about half the year left, plenty of time for 4 battletomes considering we’ve had more than that in the first half of the year. 

• Like 1

Honestly I'm pretty sure most of the battletomes we got this year were never announced formally for an event. Gloomspite Gits were announced through holiday website trickery, skaven and FEC were sudden and unexpected, lets not talk about Sylvaneth...Really only Fyreslayers, Khorne, and Slaanesh were announced during formal event previews, IIRC.

Which is especially weird given that we had roughly a billion event previews this year with no battletome announcements, but there you go.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Aryann said:

Um its only July - there's still 5 full months of the year to go (excluding July). And we had more than 4 Battletomes in the January -June block - and that was including the mess up with Sylvanath causing delays. 

On 7/12/2019 at 6:05 PM, PaniuBraniu said:

We had evocators last time, so season 3 - no Stormcasts sadly. As for chaos gods Slanesh is more fitting to Shadespire setting. Previously, we had one Chaos god each time, however, there were two Chaos warbands released each season, so maybe we will get both?

My bet on the starter set is new death (Katophranes) vs beasty elves.

I think the next stormcast warband will probably be for whatever chamber is opened next, but that probably won't be season 3

12 minutes ago, Overread said:

Warcry unboxing! https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/07/15/warcry-unboxedgw-homepage-post-1/..

Sprues don't appear to have much customising options, one or two arms here and there might be swappable. That said look at the size of that box its freaking stuffed with models and plastic! 

No duplicate sprues though! Finally!

8 minutes ago, Overread said:

Warcry unboxing! https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/07/15/warcry-unboxedgw-homepage-post-1/..

Sprues don't appear to have much customising options, one or two arms here and there might be swappable. That said look at the size of that box its freaking stuffed with models and plastic! 

Yeah they have a touch less in the way of customisation out the box than I was maybe expecting. Honestly personally, I really don’t mind - I’ve got 4 Necromunda gangs I haven’t touched yet because the sheer weight of options gives me like choice paralysis. I’m more likely to build these up straight away rather than let them sit forever. 

Not sure if this was already known, or is new to the reveals of the past 2 or 3 days, but its interesting that it appears they are bringing strength and toughness back for warcry.  I'm happy to hear that honestly, I think the simplification works fine in AoS due to model volume and I never really missed it, but in a skirmish game you really need more granularity.

• Like 1

Yeah, rules are interesting. It looks like instead of the "glancing wound" mechanics of Kill Team, we have larger HP pools, variable weapon damage, strength, and toughness. Faction ability sheet gives a list of all possible abilities, while the fighter gets icons to indicate which ones he has.

The damage/damage is from what I hear a crit mechanic, natural sixes maybe?

Also for all the talk of lack of variety, I'm seeing a fair number of weapon builds from the preview. It does seem like it's mostly the grunt troops who get build options though.

Edit: Now that I think about it, even though they added toughness, there's no WS equivalent that I can see. So probably flat to hit results (maybe with crits) and then strength vs toughness for wound rolls? No armor save either, apparently. 

It also doesn't specify if a model can use both weapons simultaneously or if it's an either/or proposition. I would guess the later, just because 8 attacks/turn seem a bit much for what looks like a mid-level duder, and the two weapons balance against themselves fairly well.

Edited by madmac

31 minutes ago, Forrix said:

No duplicate sprues though! Finally! 

irongolems.jpg.3230bb174a52234605be2cafde068e2d.jpg

Pretty sure there's one repeated sprue for the iron golems, at least.

One thing I noticed when reading the abilities shown: "Until the end of this fighter's activation..." - Phrasing seems to indicate alternate activations, which is great.

41 minutes ago, Overread said:

Haha I know that this is supposed to be a marketing video but gosh, it really makes me cringe a bit :D

"Yeah, its very heavy...that is a nice feeling"
"It is fully packed of sprues which is....nice"

Like, why not send it out to all the content creators, let them make real unboxings, take the most positive ones and share as "look what our community things about is" (yeah, I know, thats not how GW PR Works). But this video just feels like someone wants to hop on the unbox trip but really do not know how to do it. In general, it is weird to see an unboxing of a box with sprues and the book~ Therefore theit jump to the fully painted éavy metal miniatures feels unneccessary more staged than it already is.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Swooper said:

One thing I noticed when reading the abilities shown: "Until the end of this fighter's activation..." - Phrasing seems to indicate alternate activations, which is great.

Hope this is the case, I am not a huge proponent of alternating activations for AoS, but think its necessary in skirmish games.

10 minutes ago, madmac said:

Yeah, rules are interesting. It looks like instead of the "glancing wound" mechanics of Kill Team, we have larger HP pools, variable weapon damage, strength, and toughness. Faction ability sheet gives a list of all possible abilities, while the fighter gets icons to indicate which ones he has.

The damage/damage is from what I hear a crit mechanic, natural sixes maybe?

Also for all the talk of lack of variety, I'm seeing a fair number of weapon builds from the preview. It does seem like it's mostly the grunt troops who get build options though.

Edit: Now that I think about it, even though they added toughness, there's no WS equivalent that I can see. So probably flat to hit results (maybe with crits) and then strength vs toughness for wound rolls? No armor save either, apparently. 

It also doesn't specify if a model can use both weapons simultaneously or if it's an either/or proposition. I would guess the later, just because 8 attacks/turn seem a bit much for what looks like a mid-level duder, and the two weapons balance against themselves fairly well.

Yeah that is interesting on the no armour or ws front.  I think that's a bit unfortunate, but I guess in the name of speed might be worth it if other game rules compensate for the lost diferentiations those can provide.  Agree the multi weapon profiles prob aren't useable simultaneously, though if the game is activation based as @Swooper picked up on, its entirely possible you can make multiple actions of the same type within your activation like, each activation you have x number of actions, but those actions can be any number of things, like movement, attack etc.

• Like 1

Re: expectations of new battletomes, id be wary of believing there will be 4 more battletomes this year. Ive followed the rumours as  closely as anyone and never seen a named source for this - it feels to me like rumour reverb. This time last year we had stormies and nighthaunt aroumd now, then a complete surprise with beasts of chaos in september. Tje year before we had nothing after kharadrons in may. The year before was sylvaneth, beastclaws and bonesplitterz in august then nothing til tzeentch in january. I think GW use the back end of the year to work on the battletomes for the front end of the following year, with a few exceptions, giving players around 6 months with the meta established by the latest GHB. Happy to be proved wrong, but thats what i think the past few years indicate!

2 minutes ago, Swooper said:

Also possible. Would explain why we haven't seen the Prefector before (afaik?).

We’ve seen him in the video of the iron golems when they were shown. There’s no duplicate sprues, just a couple of minor weapon swap options. 

Edited by Still-young
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Infeston said:

Is the Corpsewrack Mausoleom in any way different to the Sigmarite Mausoleom or the old Garden of Morr?

Or is this just again the newest iteration of the Garden of Morr?

I suspect that it comes with some sort of new extra rules. Something related to it’s snowy theme.