The Rumour Thread

8 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

+++ MOD HAT +++

If we could avoid the Marine vs Stormcast discussion that would be good - firstly because this is the rumours (and related discussion thread) and secondly we don't have marines in AoS 😉

It's 9pm EST - so 2am UK time - only a couple of hours to wait

Yup. I'll stop replying in this thread. Still unconvinced the Stormcast are different enough from Space Marines, but that is another thread.

I'm really liking the sheer variety of the warbands. I like the newest one, but its not my favorite of the six. But I showed them to my girlfriend, who was not a huge fan of the others, but really likes these. 

I can't wait to get my hands on the game.

Now I just have to keep my fingers crossed for ogor reveals on the open day.

• Like 1

I really like the look of Warcry, but I can't see myself buying it (yet). The models are awesome and the game may well be great, but I can see this turning out like a lot of GW standalone games where they make some awesome stuff maybe once or twice and then we never hear from it again. Or even that they properly support it, but the other fans don't. 

While I'm sure they will have warscrolls to use in game, I doubt these can be marked and I don't fancy starting a Slaves to Darkness army just to use these in AoS. So I fear that, if I bought them, they'd just end up as cool looking models that sit on the shelf. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

I really like the look of Warcry, but I can't see myself buying it (yet). The models are awesome and the game may well be great, but I can see this turning out like a lot of GW standalone games where they make some awesome stuff maybe once or twice and then we never hear from it again. Or even that they properly support it, but the other fans don't. 

If you look at their recent side game releases, they've all got proper support: necromunda, kill team, blood bowl and underworlds are all still getting new stuff and have thriving social scenes so hopefully Warcry will follow suit since these Warcry models are the best of that (very good) bunch! 

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Just now, Carnelian said:

If you look at their recent side game releases, they've all got proper support: necromunda, kill team, blood bowl and underworlds are all still getting new stuff and have thriving social scenes so hopefully Warcry will follow suit since these Warcry models are the best of that (very good) bunch! 

I'd certainly hope so! But I'll wait and see before buying into anything. 

One thought for consideration is that a lot of the warbands appear like they can, through visual design and fluff, be worshipping two or more Chaos Gods at once. This suggests that GW is playing with the concept of Greater Demons battling  for the worship of mortals to their patron gods. Thus a faction might worship Slaanesh for a while and then another, more powerful, greater demon pushes that Tzeentch Lord of Change aside and a Keeper of Secrets takes over. Or perhaps the warband finds themselves worshipping a God who is giving them less and less whilst another God starts to tempt them with more and more. 

Swapping sides and shifting loyalties as the Greater Demons compete with each other whilst the Warband themselves also demand things of their Gods. One theme that has always been strong with Chaos is the concept of their mortal follows that the mortals GET things from their gods in a very direct sense. They don't worship "Dead Gods" nor those who are without power. As much as a Greater Demon needs the support of its mortal followers, the mortals need the support of their Greater Demons. 

The only one that trumps this is the Great Horned Rat who has a slightly different relationship with his teeming masses of Skaven. 

Edited by Overread
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Enoby said:

While I'm sure they will have warscrolls to use in game, I doubt these can be marked and I don't fancy starting a Slaves to Darkness army just to use these in AoS. So I fear that, if I bought them, they'd just end up as cool looking models that sit on the shelf. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re using Warcry as a way to judge customer interest on different mortal Chaos looks in preparation for a Slaves of Darkness release. I reckon the most profitable warband might influence the look of the upcoming Battletomes.

2 minutes ago, Vomikron said:

I’m out of the loop on this one but I remember hearing there was going to be a new Death Battletome that was seemingly confirmed by GW staff during some event. Did we ever get any additional rumors for that?

It was announced by GW but there has been nothing but speculation and wishlisting since.

1 minute ago, Vomikron said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re using Warcry as a way to judge customer interest on different mortal Chaos looks in preparation for a Slaves of Darkness release. I reckon the most profitable warband might influence the look of the upcoming Battletomes.

If that were the case then the Slaves to Darkness Battletome and update would be around 2 years off - assuming GW spends several months pooling data from warband and then at least 1 year development of tome and models. That would land its release very late and right out of line of the current rough schedule of release we've got (based on GW's pace of releasing).

I personally expect GW to release the Slaves Battletome next, to maximise the popularity of chaos mortals that warcry will spark off. How Warcry interacts iwth AoS is still to be seen. The Warbands have around 10 models each and if they have any degree of weapon/arm/head swapping then they could well be a means to adding quite a lot of mortal models into Slaves to Darkness armies. Much like how you can add Shadspire warbands into regular AoS, but with the Warcry variations being far more viable choices (at present the Shadspire are nice to add but are nothing outstanding). GW could even make the warbands count as things like battleline to further increase their chances of being taken. 

Ergo Warcry is being used as a supporting product to give greater interest in a whole host of new models for Slaves to Darkness. by making it its own game on the side it increases the chances of more people buying into them who might otherwise not buy into a whole Slaves to Darkness army. 

• Like 1

Knowing that Warcry is getting more factions, I really hope the game is used to show different and individual civilizations in the vastness of the mortal realms. You can get vanilla  StD, but you also got all those warbands, and next seasons who knows? We may see a different Aelf warband, or anything.

it could be used to represent all those different pockets of civilization that are not the vanilla factions we see in AoS, but something that evolved differently.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AthlorianStoners said:

They also allow people to fill out their armies and theme to lore friendly guides. 

Imagine in ten years that the Corvus Cabal have developed into fully realized faction with deep lore. 

I would be onboard for that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vomikron said:

I’m out of the loop on this one but I remember hearing there was going to be a new Death Battletome that was seemingly confirmed by GW staff during some event. Did we ever get any additional rumors for that?

The Open Day is in a week, so presumably we'll have the covers pulled off on a fair bit of stuff. My guess is a 'new' faction range (like Kharadrons and Idoneth were) and at least one updated/merged Battletome (Everchosen + StD, Skaven, etc).

Edited by Clan's Cynic

11 minutes ago, Overread said:

RUMOUR!

From Dakka - a photo by Ben Johnson at the ATC event

D_cKBdgWkAEYjLw.jpg

All that fighting on the ruin walls + the Unmade stilt model (look at the size of it!) can't possibly be a good combination!

Looks like another awesome value box ala the KT set.

• Like 2

Wouldn't surprise me if for the upcoming Slaves to darkness that there was a kit for generic chaos cultists that visually worked with all the war cry bands and the warcry factions served as the "stormhosts\glades" for slaves/darkoath

I really don’t think this is a game designed to lead into Slaves of Darkness any more than Necromunda is just to get people to collect Hive Militia armies. This is a stand alone game with custom designed miniatures and rule set. Not a couple of dozen existing miniatures thrown in a box with new terrain a la Killteam. The warbands may  very well get warscrolls like Underworlds teams but I doubt very much they will expand any of these into an army.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1