The Rumour Thread

1 minute ago, zilberfrid said:

Opinions may differ

Could you tell me the differences between them? Except for smaller boots, no backpack, slightly larger knives and females wearing heels. Down to the bolt pistols, Mary Sue status in lore, metabolism, shoulders, being created by the god-emperor/king and task, they are the same post-humans.

Like, eh, SCE can fall in love with each other and be able to do sex?

21 minutes ago, Blightzkrieg said:

But it's been many years since 40k had a Tyranid release, with multiple space marine releases per year. I think that's the situation people would like to avoid with AoS, though arguably we're already at that point.

I don't think AoS is QUITE as bad as 40k. It's apparent who Daddy's Favourite is, but they've done a far better job of projecting different, non-Stormcast armies across the range of AoS' releases. We've had multiple non-SCE releases in a row, compared to 40k wherein it's not much of an exaggeration for other release to be a loyalist Space Marine release. 

The question is whether GW do this because they're conscious of too many SCE releases, or a necessity to just grow AoS' various, younger ranges to the point they can produce full length Battletome: Darc Angelus and Battletome: Spaze Wulfs in the same vain as 40k. I hope it's the former, that's for sure.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I genuinely get excited to discover what new things are coming out for AoS, because unlike 40k, there's a good chance it won't be a release meant for Stormcast players to buy into as an overpowered allied detachment (see: Imperial). 

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Blightzkrieg said:

But it's been many years since 40k had a Tyranid release, with multiple space marine releases per year. I think that's the situation people would like to avoid with AoS, though arguably we're already at that point.

My thought as well. 

Fantasy had the strength of multiple viewpoints and interesting conflicts outside the human point of view. Dwarves and goblins, Vampires working themselves into places of power, skaven vs. literally everyone else, tribal ogres and bands of orcs on the March. Everyone had an interesting perspective to offer, and not everything was for everyone. But they all made one another stronger when taken as a whole.

Stormcast are cool, and I do want to see more of them. But so are Kharadron overlords, dispossessed, soulblight, the ogre tribes, ect. More allies and more interesting enemies will elevate Stormcast more then a new chamber imo. But not be as good in the short term, but it will pay dividends in the long term for narrative health. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Like, eh, SCE can fall in love with each other and be able to do sex?

That is a difference. Until after a few reforgings, then their souls might be too damaged.

There are a few differences, Stormcast have bow bits glued to their guns. They have no functionality, but someone did glue stuff to the guns.

1 hour ago, Blightzkrieg said:

Agree with you.

As fyreslayer player is hilarious that we have 2 boxes of units and 4 boxes of heroes in the almost 4 years since the release but in this time i see how stormcast get every year 4-7 boxes.

In 4 years seeing gw store items

Fyreslayers:22

Stormcast:64 

So in the same time one full new army as fyreslayers got 22 items and stormcast in this same time got 64?

I am fyreslayer player but i started with stormcast,due to this posterboy ultramega care of gw i have grew sick of stormcast and i havent played them in 2 years and i did my disposesed\fyreslayer army.

It isnt so bad as 40k where per example the 95% of the last releases of those 2 last years have been marines and khaos marines but it is pretty close

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, xking said:

Go read a hallowed Knights novel.

Probably won’t happen for me, unless,

Gortrak and Thanqoul would be a part of it.

no offense man, although stormcast have an interesting fluff and some kind of story, I really must say that I enjoy humorous and very dark themed story’s

Oh and don’t forget schemes and manipulations.

And-and backstabbing betrayal.

and some kind of an anti-order story, just like the old times where some kind of hero die-dies to a  some traps laid by some-some devious creatures.

or-or a faction gets overrun by an endless swarm of vermin’s.

🙄

Wow!

Never thought I’d become so obsessed with the skaven faction.

Probably just the warpstone-dust i’d put in my coffee!

6 minutes ago, xking said:

And that's fine, check out Gloomspite. Everybody does not have to like the same thing, there are people that like stormcast models and stormcast stories. And there'll be some people that don't.

But let's stop with the nonsense in this thread.

Went yesterday to the store, trying to get a copy of that book, aaaaand well, I was told that it was sold out and they can’t order it in any way again until it gets reprinted.

wait could this be one of the great schemes of the great horned rat himself, trying to keep his most trusted left claw Verminlord  under control!?😵😵

edit:

although it just might be Thanqoul again😑,

Edited by Skreech Verminking

3 hours ago, xking said:

Are y'all serious, you all start bi*ching about stormcast. Yes, stormcast are big buff dudes in plate armor. So what, Get over it.   

Go read a hallowed Knights novel.

Nah. Fiction designed to sell games (e.g. Black Library, or D&D novels) is generally not of the highest quality. There's so much good fiction out there to read---why waste time on boring Stormcast stuff when I could read some Gene Wolfe?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

Nah. Fiction designed to sell games (e.g. Black Library, or D&D novels) is generally not of the highest quality. There's so much good fiction out there to read---why waste time on boring Stormcast stuff when I could read some Gene Wolfe?

You could apply this to basically every BL writer except Chris Wraight and ADB. You could also say, why read boring Gene Wolfe stuff when I could read some Elena Ferrante? It is a pointless argument.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

And yet the best era for cartoons was the 80-90s block which was made only to give toy sales - and darn it a lot of that stuff was leagues better than what they make today. 

BL has its ups and downs and some is a bit weak, whilst others are either clearly first or early time writers getting a break and some being slaved to the marketing. For example the Realm Wars books are somewhat weaker because not only were they the first to be set in teh brand new setting, but they were also supposed to focus on the early battles only. So they are weak in terms of world and character building and downtime between fights because they were supposed t obe all about them. 

Meanwhile something like Warqueen or Pestilens is a great read and a bit freeier and also takes a better look at the world and races. 

Plus there's legions of great classic stuff like the Gotrek and Felix series

3 minutes ago, The World Tree said:

You could apply this to basically every BL writer except Chris Wraight and ADB. You could also say, why read boring Gene Wolfe stuff when I could read some Elena Ferrante? It is a pointless argument.

Does Elena Ferrante write fantasy or science fiction?

3 minutes ago, Overread said:

And yet the best era for cartoons was the 80-90s block which was made only to give toy sales - and darn it a lot of that stuff was leagues better than what they make today. 

BL has its ups and downs and some is a bit weak, whilst others are either clearly first or early time writers getting a break and some being slaved to the marketing. For example the Realm Wars books are somewhat weaker because not only were they the first to be set in teh brand new setting, but they were also supposed to focus on the early battles only. So they are weak in terms of world and character building and downtime between fights because they were supposed t obe all about them. 

Meanwhile something like Warqueen or Pestilens is a great read and a bit freeier and also takes a better look at the world and races. 

Plus there's legions of great classic stuff like the Gotrek and Felix series

I personally thought that the plot of Warqueen was at the level of young adult fiction.

• Thanks 1

Just now, The_Yellow_Sign said:

I personally thought that the plot of Warqueen was at the level of young adult fiction.

I've always found the term "young adult" rather pointless in many respects because it targets an age range which sort or starts somewhere in the teenage years and ends somewhere in the 20s; plus once you breach that upper limit the difference in "age" in terms of what a book might entail whittles down a lot. In general one might expect YA to basically cut out most sexual references and such; but violence they can be reasonably heavy on. 

That said its a short story with a bit more length so in general there's often a slight edge to simpler; its not trying to weave the next Game of Thrones narrative. 

4 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

Opinions may differ

Could you tell me the differences between them? Except for smaller boots, no backpack, slightly larger knives and females wearing heels. Down to the bolt pistols, Mary Sue status in lore, metabolism, shoulders, being created by the god-emperor/king and task, they are the same post-humans.

"Well, for starters, Space Marines are chosen as children, tortured by SCIENCE!, and then drafted into an eternity of being monastic murder machines whose sole purpose is to hold up the crumbling foundations of an omnicidal dystopia in the name of a rotting carcass that eats psykers like chiclets. They're emotionally stunted orphans who were brainwashed and weaponized before being unleashed on a galaxy where EVERYTHING is trying to kill them. They never even had a chance to be people before someone turned them into a gun instead.
Stormcast, on the other hand, are dead heroes, chosen for their valour and faith, resurrected and sent to free the Mortal Realms from the abominations currently running the show, on behalf of a benevolent God-King (Though benevolent is seriously up to debate). They're traumatized heroes who had lives, personalities and histories prior to being crammed into primary colored hulkbuster armor and filled full of lightning so that they could go save their descendants from the eldritch horrors of a nightmare dimension. They endure death after death, losing a bit more of their soul each time, in order to prevent anyone else from suffering the fate which befell them.
One group are so far removed from humanity as to be utterly alien. The other group are so human it causes them pain. One group feels little in the way of emotion, the other group feels emotion as strongly as they did before death. One group hates and fears the alien. The other group allies regularly with space-lizards, skeletors and green monster-men. One group is the personification of the grim future in which they live. The other is a thing born of hope.
The similarities are cosmetic: big guys in easily paintable armor sell better than little dudes with fiddly bits. But the context for those cosmetic similarities is quite different. Think of it this way...Space Marines are Batman and Stormcast are Captain America. Both are super-heroes, both wear costumes, both punch bad guys, both save people. But they ain't the same, are they?"

Quote is from Josh Reynolds.

In some ways they are more like mostly friendly necrons.

They also provide a good entry point for people to join the hobby. Fantasy really suffered from that before. If you wanted to be the default "Good Guys" then you needed to get real used to painting a lot of puffy pants and human skintones, or really like lizards, or the french etc.

• Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 2

2 minutes ago, Satyrical Sophist said:

Quote is from Josh Reynolds.

In some ways they are more like mostly friendly necrons.

They also provide a good entry point for people to join the hobby. Fantasy really suffered from that before. If you wanted to be the default "Good Guys" then you needed to get real used to painting a lot of puffy pants and human skintones, or really like lizards, or the french etc.

Also some-not all, but a good amount-of Stormcast are essentially pro-human. 

Whereas all Space Marines are fascists who believe humanity is pitiable at best and tainted and deserving of blanket condemnation at worst and not infrequently commit genocide in the millions at the merest whisper of heresy among a population  

• Like 3

Bretonnia was a "good knights of the round table" type faction, though it didn't play too heavily on it and was sort of caught between trying to be realistic french and knights of the table fantasy. In fact I really wish GW would introduce a monarchy and knights based faction for the humans. It would be an ideal counter to the more democratic/religious Free Peoples. 

The boarder kings - a selection of kingdoms, that range the fringes of the Free Peoples territories. Those who might follow Sigmar but don't bow to the rule of the government of the Free Peoples. Lots of little kingdoms each broadly following the same codes and laws etc...

1 minute ago, Nos said:

Also some-not all, but a good amount-of Stormcast are essentially pro-human. 

Whereas all Space Marines are fascists who believe humanity is pitiable at best and tainted and deserving of blanket condemnation at worst and not infrequently commit genocide in the millions at the merest whisper of heresy among a population  

Stormcast have slaughtered innocent humans as well in a "purge the infected" style. The key is that both Stormcast and Space Marines, whilst being based from humanity, are quite separate in functionality and attitude. They also play the long-game. They view the campaigns they are in beyond the lifespan of mortal humans. So whilst the Stormcast are better than marines in that they are typically more loyal and protective of them; they are not above killing the potentially corrupt in their desire to fight chaos. Indeed the more they are reforged the more it seems this singular desire gets amplified above all else. 

One big difference is that Stormcast are not xenophobic. Instead they come at things from the other angle. To the Stormcast its not about the survival of man, but instead the eradication of Chaos that drives them. This is an important distinction and actually gives Stormcast the potential to be even darker and more cruel than Marines ever could be. Because a Stormcast cannot ( thus far as we are aware) fall to Chaos, but they can and will do ANYTHING to prevent its spread. The more reforgings the more those mental barriers and memories in (most) of them are broken down; leaving them less and less humanity and more and more of the God-King Sigmar's burning desire to beat Chaos. 

• Like 2

I see the unwinnable debate on Stormcast and Space Marines is still going. As much as I desperately want to jump into the discussion again, maybe we should move it to a new thread since it's so far off topic. Unless there are any actual rumours or an upcoming release for Stormcast that is.

Not too long now until the warcry reveal, I'm dying to know if the warband is actually a hyshian one or not.  If it is from Hysh this will be the first time we'll see the design of something actually native to the realm as far as I know which is pretty interesting. If it is from Aqshy I kinda hope they go a little overboard with the whole fire thing, might even be able to use one as a conversion for a bright wizard if it's fiery enough.

• Like 2

If they are from Aqshy they need to turn it up to 11 and do something totally new for the realm. With that said I really feel like it is going to be Hysh for a variety of reasons (the pairing with ulgu and the feel of the symbol for the warband being the main ones).

• Like 2

Just now, AthlorianStoners said:

Can we not do the Stormcast vs Marines thing in the rumour thread? It’s been done to death. 

How long until the war cry reveal happens?

over 2 hours - and what else can we do for those 2 hours?!! We have to fill the time with something

*and I don't want to face another 20 curved Slaanesh chariot blades to clean*

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

+++ MOD HAT +++

If we could avoid the Marine vs Stormcast discussion that would be good - firstly because this is the rumours (and related discussion thread) and secondly we don't have marines in AoS 😉

23 minutes ago, AthlorianStoners said:

How long until the war cry reveal happens?

It's 9pm EST - so 2am UK time - only a couple of hours to wait