The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, Beliman said:

I like how they look and I believe that they are perfect for their job.
But I'm with you that there are a lot of other armies that are in need to new releases/updates than another SCE chamber.

I think even GW is feeling that they can't keep adding Stormcast. AoS has fewer divisions of unit types at present than 40K so you can only add so many units before you start tripping over each other in providing units of very similar performance. Also I hope GW is aware that whilst the marine marketing system works for them it can also work against them. 

I also think its a sign of confidence form GW in AoS when they can step away from the poster-child of the game and focus on other armies. I really hope that they don't throw out a 3rd warband of them. Whilst they are central to much of the story I think it would be sore mistake to keep favouring them over and over again. 

Heck the store page has 59 listings for Stormcast - no other army including the mess of Aelves has more than that and the Grand Alliance Death and Destruction only have just over 80 listings each! Stormcast have the lions share of models for a single army within AoS so yeah time to put them to the side and let others bulk up. 

Edited by Overread
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, rosa said:

Some Wine?

I really like Stormcast and enjoy playing against them.

Oh its not that people "hate" stormcast, just that many people want GW to do stuff "other than" stormcast for a good long while (keeping in mindI don't think they've done much for them this last half a year - though there's a lag effect since GW pushed out so much so often for a long time so it "feels" like they keep doing it longer than the yactually have. 

23 minutes ago, rosa said:

Some Wine?

I really like Stormcast and enjoy playing against them.

It is not about that.  A lot of factions still got Metal and Finecast models. Gw have to clean lines up instead of adding "Random alternate sculp for Stormcast number 86".

Other than that, the story can shift for other factions. Sylvaneth X nurgle on recent stories have been a good example.

52 minutes ago, Overread said:

I think even GW is feeling that they can't keep adding Stormcast. AoS has fewer divisions of unit types at present than 40K so you can only add so many units before you start tripping over each other in providing units of very similar performance. Also I hope GW is aware that whilst the marine marketing system works for them it can also work against them. 

I also think its a sign of confidence form GW in AoS when they can step away from the poster-child of the game and focus on other armies. I really hope that they don't throw out a 3rd warband of them. Whilst they are central to much of the story I think it would be sore mistake to keep favouring them over and over again. 

Heck the store page has 59 listings for Stormcast - no other army including the mess of Aelves has more than that and the Grand Alliance Death and Destruction only have just over 80 listings each! Stormcast have the lions share of models for a single army within AoS so yeah time to put them to the side and let others bulk up. 

I don't mind more Stormcast warbands, but don't put them in the base Underworld set AGAIN. Three in a row with Stormcast and Nighthaunt is bad enough.

Start to play, any freebie model from a store, Storm Strike, Tempest of Souls, Soul wars is all Nighthaunt and Stormcast. The easy to builds are Stormcast and Nighthaunt. That's all the site lists as "start here" and "next steps".

52 minutes ago, Overread said:

Oh its not that people "hate" stormcast, just that many people want GW to do stuff "other than" stormcast for a good long while. 

Such wise words, that's exactly it - I doubt many hate Space Marines in 40k per se either (hell, most guys I know like the looks of both Marines and SCEs), it's just that if those two factions get something it means others don't get anything. And at the moment a few armies/factions could use some love in the miniature department - Aelves, Seraphon, Ironjawz, Slaves to Darkness, Skaven, Free people (with them being such an important part of the setting - representing "normal" civilization - I'd actually put them at the top spot) and so on and on. Meanwhile Stormcast got more kits that some of them combined. I understand that churning out SCE or Marines is profitable and easy as the designers can copy/paste lots of things but still, it would be cool to see others (at least those who sell well) get some love too

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I think one serious concern is that with GW Space Marines make up an obscene amount of their total sales in a year - because they are popular they thus get more attention which increases the amount of sales they make. It basically feeds itself.

Many can see that GW has focused on stormcast in many similar ways to marines and the worry is that they turn Stormcast into the BIG faction for AoS that out-sells all the others. Which means they make GW more money and so get more attention - etc.... That's the worry, that we wind up in 5 years time with Stormcast getting sub-armies whilst other armies are left in the dust. 

We can look at 40K and see the patterns - multiple Space Marine forces and yet big old armies like Eldar still have a lot of very old finecast sculpts and even old plastic guardians - armies that really show their age

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 minutes ago, Overread said:

I think one serious concern is that with GW Space Marines make up an obscene amount of their total sales in a year - because they are popular they thus get more attention which increases the amount of sales they make. It basically feeds itself.

Many can see that GW has focused on stormcast in many similar ways to marines and the worry is that they turn Stormcast into the BIG faction for AoS that out-sells all the others. Which means they make GW more money and so get more attention - etc.... That's the worry, that we wind up in 5 years time with Stormcast getting sub-armies whilst other armies are left in the dust. 

We can look at 40K and see the patterns - multiple Space Marine forces and yet big old armies like Eldar still have a lot of very old finecast sculpts and even old plastic guardians - armies that really show their age

Yeah that's one of the main reasons I'm not interested in 40K. It feels like everything is space marines or chaos space marines, and it's boring as. I would be extremely disappointed if AoS goes the same route and starts producing "Chaos Stormcast" etc.

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 minutes ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

Yeah that's one of the main reasons I'm not interested in 40K. It feels like everything is space marines or chaos space marines, and it's boring as. I would be extremely disappointed if AoS goes the same route and starts producing "Chaos Stormcast" etc.

It should be noted its far from that - armies like Tyranids have massive models and huge diverse range - indeed many 40K armies are reaching a point where they are pretty well rounded out! 

Personally I'm very excited for both the last Warcry reveal tomorrow and I'm also looking forward to the Underworlds preview next week. I've been in the hobby for about 20 years now, and in the 15 or so I've known of Hastings ( mostly back from when I used Warseer), they have generally been very reliable. So I think their is a good chance the list that they provided is mostly correct. And it doesn't look to bad.

I would love to see FEC or new Free Peoples models (how cool would a Sigmarite Witch Hunter and retinue be?). I also would really like to see some Undivided Chaos Warriors, because I would love to see them made to GW's current abilities. Maybe they could be two Chosen or Varangard on foot and be the first two model warband? I don't think we will see this though, GW has seemed to really doubled down on all god specific stuff. All the non god devoted  new Chaos stuff is mostly just barbarians (soon to be very interesting barbarians thanks to Warcry).

I also would like to see no new Stormcast. I really like them and all, but I'd rather see an Order Warband without representation in the game get something. DoK, IDK, Seraphon, Free Peoples, Dispossessed......lots of options. 

• Like 2

I think more than anything, forcing Stormcast into the next core starter for Underworlds would be a missed opportunity. Stormcast have 4 warbands in underworlds already, including the just announced spin-off for kids. They've got the Warrior, Vanguard, and Sacrosanct  chambers all represented, there's no imminent chamber release that we know about, it's the perfect time to skip them for just one season and let the other order factions get a little more coverage.

That said, I'm not really worried about it. The first hint we got for the next season was the lion, that tells me Aelves will probably be in the starter set so we've almost certainly dodged that particular bullet.

3 hours ago, Overread said:

Oh its not that people "hate" stormcast, just that many people want GW to do stuff "other than" stormcast for a good long while (keeping in mindI don't think they've done much for them this last half a year - though there's a lag effect since GW pushed out so much so often for a long time so it "feels" like they keep doing it longer than the yactually have. 

GW want to make money so they make what sells the most. 

SC will always be by far the most populated faction in AOS for the same reason Space Marines are in 40k. 

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Nos said:

GW want to make money so they make what sells the most. 

SC will always be by far the most populated faction in AOS for the same reason Space Marines are in 40k. 

Exactly: Because GW choose to have them as "protagonist" Main Faction of the Game.

It´s like a self fullfilling prophecy: GW creates a higher demand on SCE or SM by adding them into each starter set. A huge ammount of new players will be therefore more likely SCE players. Bigger Playerbase means more potential buyers and therefore a better profit from releases that affect that faction, as there are simply more customers than to an army like Free People. I wouldn´t expect gw to do anything to stop this, as it is easier for them to write a narrative with a protagonist faction and they can sell the product easier as these faction get a higher rate of recognition among not-players as there may be a good chance that people see thoose. Also, both are more or less "typical 40k/AoS" and therefore a good starting point to diversify from generic Fantasy. WHFB did it in another way, which was cool, but I guess gw won´t do it again as they might fear it to be a worse business strategy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Charleston said:

Exactly: Because GW choose to have them as "protagonist" Main Faction of the Game.

It´s like a self fullfilling prophecy: GW creates a higher demand on SCE or SM by adding them into each starter set. A huge ammount of new players will be therefore more likely SCE players. Bigger Playerbase means more potential buyers and therefore a better profit from releases that affect that faction, as there are simply more customers than to an army like Free People. I wouldn´t expect gw to do anything to stop this, as it is easier for them to write a narrative with a protagonist faction and they can sell the product easier as these faction get a higher rate of recognition among not-players as there may be a good chance that people see thoose. Also, both are more or less "typical 40k/AoS" and therefore a good starting point to diversify from generic Fantasy. WHFB did it in another way, which was cool, but I guess gw won´t do it again as they might fear it to be a worse business strategy

I mean- yeah, exactly. 

GW don't grow AOS and 40k Lore as some sort of charitable creative artistic gift to the universe. They do it to sell their product and get rich. 

As I've said elsewhere the Space Marine-Stromcast comparison is facile and lazy, but the Stormcast have absolutely been designed as a protagonist for the AOS universe in the same way that the Space Marines have become that for 40k. Not only in respect to lore, but in respect to commerical and hobby aspects as well. 

• Like 3

Does anyone know why 9pm EST? That’s like middle of the night in UK, usually those announcements are in UK reasonable hours. Is anything interesting going on in USA this weekend?

I mean for the last warband reveal...

Edited by alghero81
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

Does anyone know why 9pm EST? That’s like middle of the night in UK, usually those announcements are in UK reasonable hours. Is anything interesting going on in USA this weekend?

I mean for the last warband reveal...

They have the America Team Championship in Tennessee this week end

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nos said:

I mean- yeah, exactly. 

GW don't grow AOS and 40k Lore as some sort of charitable creative artistic gift to the universe. They do it to sell their product and get rich. 

As I've said elsewhere the Space Marine-Stromcast comparison is facile and lazy, but the Stormcast have absolutely been designed as a protagonist for the AOS universe in the same way that the Space Marines have become that for 40k. Not only in respect to lore, but in respect to commerical and hobby aspects as well. 

I absolutely agree that the Stormcast design is a lazy and facile offshoot of the Space marines.

I mean, an upgraded version of humans made by the god-emperor, ehh, god-king to spearhead his demands. 10 ft tall superhumans with oversized shoulder pieces both of them. Different metabolism from humans, spearheading assaults, hogging all the spotlight.

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3
  • LOVE IT! 2

The comparison of SC and SM is not in and of itself lazy, don't be ridiculous @Nos. They are both a faction of big, chunky, armoured, ostensibly human protagonists, designed to be an entry point into the hobby, given the lion's share of the support, organised into distinguishable groups to let players customise them. One could definitely take that too far but there isn't nothing behind it.

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

5 hours ago, Overread said:

It should be noted its far from that - armies like Tyranids have massive models and huge diverse range - indeed many 40K armies are reaching a point where they are pretty well rounded out! 

But it's been many years since 40k had a Tyranid release, with multiple space marine releases per year. I think that's the situation people would like to avoid with AoS, though arguably we're already at that point.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

16 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Opinions may differ

19 minutes ago, Nos said:

Oho we got a live one here!

Could you tell me the differences between them? Except for smaller boots, no backpack, slightly larger knives and females wearing heels. Down to the bolt pistols, Mary Sue status in lore, metabolism, shoulders, being created by the god-emperor/king and task, they are the same post-humans.

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • LOVE IT! 1