The Rumour Thread

Chaos Knights would be a sensible choice considering GW just launched Apoc and Chaos players will be chomping at the bit to have chaos knights to field in it. That the Chaos Knights are new kits and not just new rules means that all those potential knight players are holding off on buying into knights. 

57 minutes ago, Overread said:

Chaos Knights would be a sensible choice considering GW just launched Apoc and Chaos players will be chomping at the bit to have chaos knights to field in it. That the Chaos Knights are new kits and not just new rules means that all those potential knight players are holding off on buying into knights. 

Not sure if they hold off, especially when GW offers 10 nice detachment boxes, rule boxes and new trays. Many players favor great deal before new full price kits...

Chaos Knights and the Blackstone expansion confirmed.

I suppose on the positive side, pushing out all the 40k releases now clears the air for a pivot back to AoS next weekend.

I would personally guess Sylvaneth next week and then the pre-order for Warcry following.

9 minutes ago, madmac said:

Chaos Knights and the Blackstone expansion confirmed.

I suppose on the positive side, pushing out all the 40k releases now clears the air for a pivot back to AoS next weekend.

I would personally guess Sylvaneth next week and then the pre-order for Warcry following.

well they didn't reveal the chaos armiger units that was in the trailers so it quite possible that there another week of releases for Chaos knight after this

3 minutes ago, novakai said:

well they didn't reveal the chaos armiger units that was in the trailers so it quite possible that there another week of releases for Chaos knight after this

The Armigers in the trailer were conversions from the normal Armigers and the chaos vehicle sprue. They said in the seminar at Warhammerfest. 

1 minute ago, HollowHills said:

It's genuinely a joke that GW will be releasing Sylvaneth two months after the "late bloom" announcement video. 

I will say, if I was GW at this point I'd have shoved the book out at the first opportunity, no regard for release windows and such.

I mean, the entire book contents leaked a month ago, what's left to hype?

8 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

It's genuinely a joke that GW will be releasing Sylvaneth two months after the "late bloom" announcement video. 

We don't know when it's being released and we don't know if they have their shipment yet. Also they didn't have to tell us anything about the delay, they never announced the sylvaneth release it was in response to a leak. 

If they were able to release it I imagine they would, I want to get my hands on the book as well but everything that's happened seems to be out of GW's control.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

Despite GW being genuinely so much better the past few years, you can still figure out why they do things just by asking, what makes the most money for the company? 

If GW was everyone's friend with no regard for the business side, they would have released the digital version of the Sylvaneth battletome along with that delay announcement, or shortly thereafter when it became clear that late meant REAL late.  But, I think its clear they believe that will impact the sales of the hardcopy, so they haven't.  I would bet that whenever they do get the books and models in, it will get slotted into a previously open spot rather than double up or push another release.  The Sylvaneth release is already late, why lose more money (from their perspective)?

I don't blame them for this, they literally have a duty to shareholders that trumps many other considerations.  But, I do think in general a slightly more cynical than the all-is-perfect-and-rosy attitude that GW's brilliant PR department has cultivated would be helpful when thinking about why they do what they do.

• Like 5

Lets face the following:
We had a great start into the year with a nice focus on AoS. We´ve got some new tomes in a fast pace that felt aequivalent to the Codex Releases for 40k last year. Althrough it was communicated by gw between the lines that we can expect a lot of tomes for 2.0, along with terrain and endless spells, gw stayed reserved and only gave us the statement "Each Grand Alliance will see another new tome this year". We don´t have a "you will get all armies updated within a year" policy like 40k had. Nevertheless we had with Gloomspites a fully fledged rework of an iconic warhammer faction, a smaller revamp for Slaanesh which still gave us several new sculpts, Skaven were finally tidied up and are no longer a bloody mess of subfactions and Fyreslayers, Khorne and FEC received Spells/Invications/Judgements, new Lodges/Hosts and were lifted into 2.0 rulewise.

So the first months were fantastic time for the hobby. We had also 2 2 Faction Boxes that were hot on sales, we have a lot of new tomes since january and also a campaign book. Also GHB18 arrived on time and intruduced again a lot of new missions and rules to make the game more exciting.

We know that gw is likely to release a lot for chaos related stuff along Warcry this summer, also the campaign book seems to be the first part of an new narrative arc surrounding the Stormvaults.

We also know that GW has some issues that led us to a drought of releases on the new tome front since may. I understand any players who want to finally start their new Sylvaneth Force and simply can´t as there is no point in buying a tome that will get dated within a brief ammount of time (well, except if you are a SCE player where is became somehow normal). Also we can discuss about what if gw would have continued their release pace: Would we have some more Tomes out already then?

Nevertheless GW has to time their logistics and also can´t influence anything in their favor. We can only assume that they will make logical decisions like @Austin have described in his post! They are interested in the hype beeing there and also in releasing in a way that maximizes profits. This leads to something that somehow buggs me a lot: Why did GW teased the Sylvaneth in the first place? Its pretty out of character, keeping in mind that they usually really do not give us any hints, teaser or releases when there is no known date for release. They could´ve simply remain silent and no one would assume that there are any issues. People would just think that the release shedule is full and more focused on GHB and Apocalypse right now and that there is a break in Tomes and Spells.

53 minutes ago, Kelsicle said:

If they release the Battletome they’ll be releasing the rules for the new endless spells for Sylvaneth, and open the door to players who want to use them spending money on proxies rather than ordering the models from them.

The sylvaneth endless spells rules have already been leaked..I imagine there are people out there that have already got proxies for them. 

I think the big part of the release is to get the new wyldwoods. 

I also wonder after the looncurse shortage if GW are now reboxing the arch-revenant as a single figure to go with the release.

16 minutes ago, Lenwe Seregon said:

The sylvaneth endless spells rules have already been leaked..I imagine there are people out there that have already got proxies for them. 

I think the big part of the release is to get the new wyldwoods. 

I also wonder after the looncurse shortage if GW are now reboxing the arch-revenant as a single figure to go with the release.

A leak is different from an official release. Leaked rules aren’t allowed in tournament play or most likely any other matched play unless agreed with your opponent. If they release the digital Battletome it means those rules are available to use and if the models aren’t available alongside people will look to alternatives.

4 hours ago, novakai said:

All the other knights in the trailer including th armiger were just the normal models using bitz from the chaos vehicle upgrade sprue you get with rhinos and land raiders. So I would say this one kit is it.

29 minutes ago, Charleston said:

Why did GW teased the Sylvaneth in the first place?

This was probably because potato cam pictures of the tome and spells were leaked beforehand and then the delay happened so they were forced to address it since once something is leaked a release usually isn't that far behind, if there wasn't a leak we honestly wouldn't even know there was anything coming for Sylvaneth or that they was any kind of delay in releases for that matter.

Edited by Dirtnaps
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Austin said:

If GW was everyone's friend with no regard for the business side, they would have released the digital version of the Sylvaneth battletome along with that delay announcement, or shortly thereafter when it became clear that late meant REAL late. 

If they released digital only then the customers who like physical books - and there are a lot of them, this is a physical hobby after all - would be upset that they are forced to buy the book twice. Also, perhaps they genuinely didn't know how long the books would be delayed for.  We could be talking hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of stock.

Agree this is a terrible situation and I hope it is resolved soon.

24 minutes ago, Dirtnaps said:

...if there wasn't a leak we honestly wouldn't even know there was anything coming for Sylvaneth or that they was any kind of delay in releases for that matter.

This one was different I think, we know the release was planned to come out months ago as we saw the new wildwood in White Dwarf back then. (It's also in the General Handbook too).

26 minutes ago, Dirtnaps said:

This was probably because potato cam pictures of the tome and spells were leaked beforehand and then the delay happened so they were forced to address it since once something is leaked a release usually isn't that far behind, if there wasn't a leak we honestly wouldn't even know there was anything coming for Sylvaneth or that they was any kind of delay in releases for that matter.

Thanks! Didn´t knew (or at least forgott) that there were potatoe cam picks involved

Where possible, and with a few exceptions, GW likes to market in absolutes. That is they say something is coming on X date and it turns up on that date without error. In addition they dislike forecasting too far ahead. 

These are sensible approaches because many a company, esp miniature ones, has come unstuck when they promise X will come in "5 months" only for that to turn into 6, then 8 then "whenever". GW has likely had such things happen more than once, however gamers are, by and large, unaware because GW never gave them the super early notice. Instead GW focuses on much closer targets when things are locked in pretty tight and the deadline is pretty much guaranteed to be met. 

This results in lots of hype around a release and easily planned releases that yields happy gamers. 

Compare it to something like Spartan Games who would preview and sneak peak stuff that took years to develop or which never came around. It led to annoyed gamers who didn't quite know when things were going to happen; who got little notice when things did slip and could never trust the company announcements. GW, by and large, you can trust that when they announce something its going to happen.

Sure there are cases where things don't go to plan, but its abnormal rather than normal. Sylvanath is one of those abnormalities that we are aware of; though its hard to say if we were made aware because of the leak and GW then resolving it, or if the leak just happened because certain protections got relaxed at head office and they were going to release the video anyway. Suffice to say with Gloomspite out the market already knew we were supposed to get the Tome, so GW did had to act anyway to absolve concerns by gamers confused that they weren't getting something when all signed indicated they should be. 

The salesman at my local GW told me that the Sylvaneth leak was a mistake by their IT people, the pictures spontaneously started appearing in the cycle of adverts on the in store monitors. Th at suggests that there was a miscommunication internally, the schedule changed and it wasn't announced in time, but the tech priests didnt get the message to pull the ads.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Austin said:

If GW was everyone's friend with no regard for the business side, they would have released the digital version of the Sylvaneth battletome along with that delay announcement, or shortly thereafter when it became clear that late meant REAL late.  But, I think its clear they believe that will impact the sales of the hardcopy, so they haven't.  I would bet that whenever they do get the books and models in, it will get slotted into a previously open spot rather than double up or push another release.  The Sylvaneth release is already late, why lose more money (from their perspective)?

I suspect they probably wouldn't be allowed to release the book early even if they wanted to. If they put the digital version out months ahead of time, they would be actively undercutting independent stores that don't have the option to distribute it in that way. Aren't GW bound to release new products day-and-date with independent stores? I believe that's why they tend not to release new books/models early at events.

• Like 2