The Rumour Thread

Guys remember that excluding the Lord Veritant it's been a whole year since the Extremis Chamber and in my opinion Stormcast are much in need for different ways to play them. 

Personally I am not a fan of the fact that most competitive Stormcast lists are a Warrior Brotherhood variant and I would like some other viable options to play with them.

Apart from Warrior Brotherhood and Skyborne Slayers the other battalion warscrolls are miles worse...

• Like 3

I don't really mind the stormcast getting extra units, and I think the battletome was a given. I'm just hoping we get a similar amount of releases as last year and then I'd say we are all in for a treat. 

Im quite looking forward to seeing what they show tomorrow, will it be more sc or something completely different?

• Like 1

Hoping to get more ways to do Lightning Strike, personally. That seems to be one of the defining aspects of Stormcast - five Battalions that grant it, counting Skyborne Slayers as one since it's essentially the same thing, and it's essentially the only reason the Knight-Azyros exists at all. They are pretty limited in builds where they have to hoof it across the board. 

Also hoping that Stardrakes get a slight point decrease, if at all possible.

1 hour ago, StealthKnightSteg said:

I do like the models, but really was hoping for free people here..and not yet another part of SE

I agree completely.  I am super psyched to finally see an official release of gryphounds (hooray!!) this is a bit disappointing to see them further bolster up the sigmarines.  assault sigmarines are here...groan...

Was definitely hoping to see their next Order release to be that of the free peoples, seeing as how they are starting to flesh out the living cities in the mortal realms.

• Like 1

To be fair, if you look at things on a Grand Alliance level (as is the ethos of the game), they have done a good job of balancing the game with the GH.

While there are now loose tiers of armies (Nurgle and Pestilens are near the bottom for example, while Mixed Destruction, Stormcast Eternals, Tomb Kings, Mixed Order, Sylvaneth and Skaven/Sayl Chaos are probably the top tier, it remains the case that off the wall lists can surprise people* and almost everything is hard to beat if you've never seen it before and haven't read the Warscrolls at all, particularly because of the variety of Battleplans.  The mixture of armies at the top of Heat One illustrates this well.

They solved the problem of how to make Death competitive in the interim by giving them the best allegiance pack as a crutch (which was easier than writing an elaborate lore for Nagash and buddies or a Soulblight Battletome). It has the downside of making them the new and faster Nurgle - they frustrate the opponent army and grind them down.

Destruction were by far the weakest in December 2015 when the Everchosen Battletome came out (remember when Varanguard seemed hot stuff - obviously great models). They responded with multiple shots in the arm, so much so that the Monstrous Arcanum (extra monsters for Destruction alone of which at least 3 are epic) has almost been forgotten in a haze of Battlebrew and improbable Arrer Boyz. Thye older Destruction stuff got nerfed, which toned them down to parity with Order in December. Now it looks like Chaos will have their time in the Pink Fire Sun and Battlebrew and 

Death are left waiting in the cold now and exposed to losing their best stuff if compendium scrolls are phased out (Sword of Damocles style - which makes it very hard to plan to play Death in confidence with a view to independent events in particular - since we don't know when they might get reinforced). However, it would only take some new Deathlords allegiance pack or Soulblight (female Neferata-led army would be ideal with lots of new models) to bring them back out of their graves. Wait a minute - Mannderp+Neferata+Arkhan = 3 - surely a Battletome Deathlords DoT style with 3 Allegiance Packs (maybe something instead of Command Traits since the named characters prevent that - 2 Lore spells each perhaps a spell and a passive buff or something that the named characters can take. Nagash unifies everything but costs 900 points in exchange.

The recent change to Escalation has the dual virtues of punishing Warrior Brotherhood a tad (and Skryre quite a lot) and also giving a downside to monsters - even Mixed Destruction. Try getting value out of the Mourngul when it's stuck in the back, has no pew pew and is not able to fly forward many inches a turn like a Stonelord. Also makes the Dread Maw or Magma Dragon a bit more useful. 

*Beastmen had the best combat synergy in the entire game on the release date and yet no-one in the UK at least bothered to check until it was too late and infinite loops were comped. Little Archaon plus a few Doombulls plus Bullgors = -2 rend 3 damage to infinity - they also charge miles with Sayl and banner. Still very good today except against pure gunline bunkers.

Edited by Nico

<Dancing in the rain of tears due to more SC releases>

My golden nipple meter had depleted [||-----] and I was painting beastclaws and thinking about Tzeentch and everything, what a fool I've been!

Golden Nipple Meter charging... [||||||||] PING

(PS I do feel for anyone still waiting for their favourite faction but must point out that the God King gave everyone nipples for a reason, to cover in luscious gold)

Edited by Turragor
  • Like 3

And here we go again- SE get something and the drama begins. Just chill out, all factions are going to be covered eventually and Stormcasts despite being the face of AoS haven't gotten a big realease for quite some time so it's not like GW is spamming them and forgetting about everyone else. We just got Tzeentch and tommorow another release will be revealed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wayniac said:

I really hope that we don't get Chapter Tactics, but its the Grand Battalions for each stormhost like the cults in the Tzeentch book.  Chapter Tactics will be a huge mistake IMHO, grand battalions might make sense.

I'm surprised that that they didn't arrange it like Slyvaneth/Beastclaw/Bonesplittaz as well. I'm starting to get a little concerned about rules bloat.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BlooDeck said:

I'm surprised that that they didn't arrange it like Slyvaneth/Beastclaw/Bonesplittaz as well. I'm starting to get a little concerned about rules bloat.

yes, this is my growing concern too.  as awesome as the Tzeentch release is, and as fluffy and poignant as the new rules are, are we about to get overly bloated with rules?! 

Man, I am soooo glad I just picked up a bunch of Stormcast. Super exciting, gives me something to work on when I get tired of painting another million rats...Which, lets be honest, is almost never. But for real though, this will be fun, and the new direction they are taking with the battletomes is a welcome shot in the arm. 

• Like 2

Whilst I think the models way way nicer than the rest of the stormcast range, I am simply worried for rules. I don't want the DoT to be rubbish because the stormcast become fantastic. The fact they made Kairic Acolytes so meh I guess shows they are willing to tone down new shinies.

12 minutes ago, Blueisola said:

yes, this is my growing concern too.  as awesome as the Tzeentch release is, and as fluffy and poignant as the new rules are, are we about to get overly bloated with rules?! 

I doubt it. I think the core rules and TGH will remain as simple as they currently are, and then each army will just have their gimmicks. It's much easier to learn "Sylvaneth make woods and teleport, Bonesplittaz throw a bunch of dice, Tzeentch manipulates results, and Stormcast zap in from the sky" and then have your opponent fill in the details, as opposed to reading and memorizing a 200+ page rulebook. 

4 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

Whilst I think the models way way nicer than the rest of the stormcast range, I am simply worried for rules. I don't want the DoT to be rubbish because the stormcast become fantastic. The fact they made Kairic Acolytes so meh I guess shows they are willing to tone down new shinies.

Unlikely imo. Sylvaneth, BCR monsters, and Bonesplittaz (at least Kunnin Rukk, anyway) weren't made pointless with DoTz, so I don't see this blowing out the last one either. 

26 minutes ago, Blueisola said:

I feel the same. I'm already confused about how to build an army. Bloated + scattered rules.  Yikes.

4 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

I feel the same. I'm already confused about how to build an army. Bloated + scattered rules.  Yikes.

I have a hard time understanding this. You can bring anything you want as long as it's in the same Grand Alliance. If you want to build an army purely out of one faction, you buy the Battletome if they have one and follow the instructions in there, which boil down to "make sure all of your units have the correct Keyword". 

I mean, I know it's harder than "pick anything", but that's pretty freaking simple for a tabletop game. Baseline all you need is the free app and TGH. You might need one more book if you want to play a specific force. I don't call that scattered at all, and if it feels like too much to handle for some reason, you can buy those books on the app and literally only need a device.

• Like 8