The Rumour Thread

2 hours ago, Kubrick54 said:

So do you know when we should expect a new KO tome?

Probably when @Thomas Lyons stops playing them - or at least stops being vocal about wanting stuff for them.  Let's take a look at things that Tom publicly likes:

Kharadron Overlords - myriad issues (no reason to restate them) that makes the current army a bit of a mess

Moonclan - Tom sold the army he had and then GW immediately gave them a full revamp with the Gloomspite book.  I extend a very heartfelt Thank You to Tom for disassociating himself with this army so that we could have this glorious book.

Spiderfang - Gloomspite was a huge grots overhaul, but for the most part Spiderfang was ignored and got some basic quality of life improvements.  Still considered by most to not really be competitive (hope someone proves everyone wrong).  Why could you have not sold off all of these models as well Tom?  Imagine what we could have now if you had done so...

Fyreslayers - new book gave them nice modern rules, but absolutely nothing new for the range aside from terrain + endless spells

Duardin - radio silence

Daughters of Khaine - a good strong book, but Tom did not play them until after they released.  They will probably be beaten flat by the nerf bat in the new GHB, not because they are too powerful but simply because Tom finished painting them.

Swifthawk Agents - 😂...  Warhammer Legends bound just because of how much Island of Blood models he bought.

The moral of the story is to not pick an army Tom likes.  He is the reason you can't have nice things.  The best strategy for purchasing a new army is to send him a PM and ask him his honest opinion of an army and then to go with the ones he actively dislikes.  Ignore this advice at your own peril!

Edited by Skabnoze
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 21

I can't speak for other factions, but those points would only do the following for the idoneth. 

1) The eel meta / competitive King + soulscryer build dies out. You'd have to take 10 x 3 thralls as a tax which would make the list too weak. Otherwise take 3 x 3 ishlaen, which at 140 you wouldn't want and 160 you definitely don't want. 

2) the points decreases elsewhere don't help, because mixed idoneth was weak already and will stay weak. The points changes just sort of cancel each other out. So your 2k mixed list basically is the same. 

3) thralls and reavers haven't dropped enough to make such a list anymore viable than it is now. 

4) the only viable list basically becomes reverse tide Fuethan which uses thralls for battleline and eels to charge. Maybe you fit an eidolon in there. 

1 hour ago, HammerOfSigmar said:

Since telics refuse to give a hand and have his own business to do in the forbidden power, I don't think the new aelves will come out this year.

Well there is still Malerion's "Dragonite Darkaelveish" which has me stoked for all the possibilities based on the hints dropped so far.

I feel you may be right though as far as the brothers are concerned.  Their dialog in Forbidden Power made it seem that they would be biding their time.  They pretty much outright told Sigmar that the armies of Hysh would not be marching out on his behalf now that the Death entity had been released and what he and the Smith god had done to his gift of enlightenment. (Although to be honest, not exactly sure why he is so mad about this... once you give something, it is up to the receiver to utilize it.  Also not sure why Sigmar doesn't go, oh wait, let me check it out in its original form = perhaps the Duardin god wrecked the original in reverse engineering it)

I kind of wish we had Order split and a new Lawful Evil alliance form but that would just add extra confusion.  The Grand alliances were a good idea in the burgeoning days of AoS but now seem to be creating some limitations in terms of development.  Not going anywhere soon though based on the previews from the events.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forrix said:

I think a rewrite would be nice but not necessary really. Raising GUOs to 380 and Rotigus to 400 though is pure insanity that will just ensure they never see the tabletop in anything remotely competitive. And not cutting points for pusgoyle blightlords and the new plaguebearer heralds is a missed opportunity.  And basically every battalion that isn't Thricefold. 

Those point suggestions look like they came from a player who knows next to nothing about Maggotkin and got touched inappropriately by a Thricefold list once.

Yeah, we aren't getting a new book anytime soon. Honestly if they just changed Blightkings to exploding on an unmodified 6 I'd be reasonably satisfied.

Edited by suedester
Edit
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Saiken said:

This thread is the sole reason I have been postponing any AoS purchase for about a year now 😂

I‘m selling mine 🤔 (Germany) if they get new models I don‘t mind rebuying models I used to own. If they don‘t get new models I don‘t mind the Miniatures I sold no longer taking up precious space

It's even worst than than ... I still haven't started building a single army because of the amount of great ( better ? ) stuff that is supposed to come.

Back to rumors, I have a hard time believing the Tomb Kings rumours,  though the fact Tom says so leaves me speechless.

Wait and see I guess :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saiken said:

This thread is the sole reason I have been postponing any AoS purchase for about a year now 😂

You know that's what they are waiting for right? The moment you pull the trigger... Boom! Bad*ass release by GW. ;) 

• Haha 3

+++ MOD HAT +++

Just to reinforce what a few people have said about the rumoured points leak for the Generals Handbook.  It's a wishlist of point changes from somebody on Reddit - it's just hit social media with no context so people are assuming it's the leaked point changes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Saiken said:

It's even worst than than ... I still haven't started building a single army because of the amount of great ( better ? ) stuff that is supposed to come.

Back to rumors, I have a hard time believing the Tomb Kings rumours,  though the fact Tom says so leaves me speechless.

Wait and see I guess :)

Pro Tip - there will always be something better on the horizon until the day that GW goes into liquidation when the CEO runs off with the sectary and all the money to *insert name of random country that doesn't have an extradition agreement with the UK*. 

Honestly sometimes its good to get your feet into things with an army that you like the look of now rather than wait to make "the best choice". Even 40K still has stuff to come; many are hoping for a big new Eldar release; others are fingers crossed for other stuff. There will always be an army waiting for an update or a new army in the waiting or a new game or a new whatever.

Esp currently with GW communicating and shifting their release pattern around so that they are releasing stuff around 50ish times a year (almost once a week every week for most weeks). 

Of course if what you want is one of the armies that hasn't been updated with a Tome yet then waiting is prudent. Whilst some forces (like slaves to darkness) are pretty safe and you could easily invest into troops and basic models to build up; others are a bit more iffy (eg the Aelves) in working out what might stay and what might go or change. 

Edited by Overread
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Life is a cycle. This (meta) game  is also a cycle. The main rule of this game is lead by heart more than brain.

If you're always waiting for something next because next is better, you won't do anything at all. Chose what you like, then eventually optimize. You're lucky, this game is already pretty well balanced.  You won't go wrong except if you want super competitive.  Even if you chose the super best now, it won't last.

I started StD recently but I'm not in hurry. I know that in the near future, GW will do something with "humans of chaos".  In the meantime, I have the army I like ;-) (Well, to be honnest, it is not my first army, I'm in the process of assembling my FEC atm).

• Like 7

If tomb kings are coming back I hope it is all new models. The Egyptian theme doesn't fit the mortal realms and we've got ghost, skeletons and zombies already, let's have a construct army with troops made of stuff cobbled together. I'm hoping if anything the background hints at the origin being from khemri, like the flesh eaters hint at being bretonnians, but that's it. 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

If tomb kings are coming back I hope it is all new models. The Egyptian theme doesn't fit the mortal realms and we've got ghost, skeletons and zombies already, let's have a construct army with troops made of stuff cobbled together. I'm hoping if anything the background hints at the origin being from khemri, like the flesh eaters hint at being bretonnians, but that's it. 

I'd also like some new kits, though I think there are lots of great old ones in there. I'd be interested to know why you don't think the Egyptian theme fits in the mortal realms? A lot of the new scenery has a kind of 'Egyptian' style to it, and Nagash has a giant black pyramid! 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NazbitWeirdstabba said:

I'd also like some new kits, though I think there are lots of great old ones in there. I'd be interested to know why you don't think the Egyptian theme fits in the mortal realms? A lot of the new scenery has a kind of 'Egyptian' style to it, and Nagash has a giant black pyramid! 

It's only really Egyptian feel because of the colour scheme shown and the statutes are gryph chargers not jackals. And pyramids aren't just Egyptian. 

A lot of the old warhammer armies drew on our history and stories: Arthurian knights, ancient Egypt, Aztecs etc. The mortal realms don't, they have a favour of their own. It seems GW even want to stay away from the standard fantasy troupe of elves, dwarfs and human, which I think is a good thing.

Give a nod to the old tomb kings but give us something new. 

Edited by Ogregut
Spelling mistake
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Ogregut said:

It's only really Egyptian feel because of the colour scheme shown and the statutes are gryph chargers not jackets. And pyramids aren't just Egyptian. 

A lot of the old warhammer armies drew on our history and stories: Arthurian knights, ancient Egypt, Aztecs etc. The mortal realms don't, they have a favour of their own. It seems GW even want to stay away from the standard fantasy troupe of elves, dwarfs and human, which I think is a good thing.

Give a nod to the old tomb kings but give us something new. 

That's fair. I think if they do bring back a TKish army, the lore and themes will be updated to fit with the mortal realms. But there is so much infinite space and possibilities in the realms they can easily fit some of the old and better sculpts into the lore. If they're releasing lots of ancient and forgotten stuff from the Stormvaults, they can pretty much make whatever they want come out of them!

• Like 1

I have a hard time  with the concept around the "fit or doesnt fit with AoS".

If you think about it, AoS have such a variety of ideas and concepts that it seens to be hard to pinpoint its Style.

We go from normal orcs to steampunk flying dwarfs. Insane canibals undead to crazy moon workshiping goblins!

With the right lore, you can insert pretty much anything in AoS. I can imagine an army of aliens strand in the mortal realms because of a portal malfunction  that settled in a corner of a mortal realms with the objective to learn how to use the all gates to go home. 

Nagash have an egypt vibe. You can pretty much imagine the Kathopranes (sp) as egyptian looking guys, maybe made of older TK souls. Who knows? It is one of the cool aspects of AoS, the infinite space to create and recreate things of the World That Was and more!

Edited by Thiagoma
So much misspellings
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, NazbitWeirdstabba said:

That's fair. I think if they do bring back a TKish army, the lore and themes will be updated to fit with the mortal realms. But there is so much infinite space and possibilities in the realms they can easily fit some of the old and better sculpts into the lore. If they're releasing lots of ancient and forgotten stuff from the Stormvaults, they can pretty much make whatever they want come out of them!

That's true and you're right about the sculpts, I've always liked the snakes and queen kalidia is a awesome model.

Regardless of what comes out, I'm excited to see it!