The Rumour Thread

Just now, SleeperAgent said:

(Realistically probably new Death army related)

I keep reading about a potential new Death army here and in the topic about the AoS Open Day. Is it a pretty established thing?

Thanks for your answers ;)

17 minutes ago, Ghark said:

I keep reading about a potential new Death army here and in the topic about the AoS Open Day. Is it a pretty established thing?

There's still one more Battletome for each Grand Alliance coming this year, so that means there's another Death battletome coming.

The runes look aelven, but also look eldar - looks very similar to the basing on the Harlequin models, for example.

99070111001_HarlequinDeathJester01.jpg

Edited by Still-young
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, Ghark said:

I think that rumour is largely based on the fact that GW announced at least one more battletome for each grand alliance. As all death faction already have a AOS 2 ready BT (provide LON is suited for AOS), it makes sense to expect a new army

Hi, I am also a long time lurker. Just wanted to ask, if a certain thing may mean something.

During the last Black Library preview, they have shown, among other things, the covers of two novellas, which are going to hit shelves before Christmas. One cover has got an image of an Iron golem, which is perfectly fine, as this will be after the Warcry release. However, the second novella, titled Thieves ' Paradise, features somebody who looks a bit elfish, maybe even forest elfish? In lights of all these runes rumor engines, can it mean something in terms of foreshadowing?

11 minutes ago, PaniuBraniu said:

Hi, I am also a long time lurker. Just wanted to ask, if a certain thing may mean something.

During the last Black Library preview, they have shown, among other things, the covers of two novellas, which are going to hit shelves before Christmas. One cover has got an image of an Iron golem, which is perfectly fine, as this will be after the Warcry release. However, the second novella, titled Thieves ' Paradise, features somebody who looks a bit elfish, maybe even forest elfish? In lights of all these runes rumor engines, can it mean something in terms of foreshadowing?

Not really. We've already had a couple of books with both Freeguild and Elves that are on the cover. But neither have gotten new battletomes yet.

It is of course possible they will come, GW have pretty much confirmed that they plan to get battletomes out for all forces that will remain in AoS. But nothing to say they won't remove any of the models before then. Gloomspite gave us a Grot battletome but we lost most of the gits, included a couple of newish models.

12 minutes ago, PaniuBraniu said:

She is most probably a Wanderer aelf.

The covers of many a BL book got characters from the lore (like a female Scourge privateer, many Free people Nobles, etc.), without hinting at new releases - yeah, we got Gotrek and the Warqueen as already out when the novella where released. 

377144704_DisapearingNovellas.png.bfd131b9ce3efc09bf4130231442ad19.png

13 minutes ago, PaniuBraniu said:

As others have said, the cover doesn't necessarily hint at anything, but it's interesting.

I posted the exact passage in another thread, but there's a bit in Forbidden Power that talks about certain native factions being "stirred up" by the intrusion into their sacred lands caused by Stormvault Seekers. specifically Chaos Tribesmen, Seraphon, and Wanderers.  It's interesting to me because two out of the three mentioned are almost assuredly getting battletomes soon, so I do take it as a likely hint.

Scourge Privateers are a good counter-example though, since they get referenced a lot in the lore and yet I don't think anyone expects them to become a stand-alone faction. I do think there's a good chance of them having mercenary rules though.

7 minutes ago, madmac said:

As others have said, the cover doesn't necessarily hint at anything, but it's interesting.

I posted the exact passage in another thread, but there's a bit in Forbidden Power that talks about certain native factions being "stirred up" by the intrusion into their sacred lands caused by Stormvault Seekers. specifically Chaos Tribesmen, Seraphon, and Wanderers.  It's interesting to me because two out of the three mentioned are almost assuredly getting battletomes soon, so I do take it as a likely hint.

Scourge Privateers are a good counter-example though, since they get referenced a lot in the lore and yet I don't think anyone expects them to become a stand-alone faction. I do think there's a good chance of them having mercenary rules though.

As discussed, the whole book contains hints you didn't mentioned, about Devoted Of Sigmar, Gordrakk, Light Aeves, Grotbag Scuttler, Ironweld Arsenal, Necromancer on Flesh Palanquin (who also where in a malign portents short story), etc. - given other recent AOS publications, those are more likely to get releases than Wanderer and Seraphon, Chaos Tribesmen being Slaves To Darkness so post-Warcry goodies. 

Edited by HorticulusTGA

49 minutes ago, Ghark said:

On the Warhammer Community page for the  Las Vegas Open (here) where the aforementioned confirmation of each Grand Alliance getting at least one more battletome, the image attached shows a Vampire count. We can guess a Soulblight Battletome is in the future, hopefully a faction of Vampires too stuck-up to kneel before Nagash.  This, if true, would explain why Vampire Knights and Zombies didn't get new miniatures with the Legions of Nagash release. 

LVOStudioPreview-Feb7-NewBattletomes27tceg.jpg

4 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

As discussed, the whole book contains hints you didn't mentioned, about Devoted Of Sigmar, Gordrakk, Light Aeves, Grotbag Scuttler, Ironweld Arsenal, Necromancer on Flesh Palanquin (who also where in a malign portents short story) - given other recent AOS publications, those are more likely to get releases than Wanderer and Seraphon, Chaos Tribesmen being Slaves To Darkness so post-Warcry goodies. 

Eh, yes it's full of mentions of other factions, but I found the framing for those three to be unique. Just because I haven't quoted literally the whole book doesn't mean I didn't read it.

Time will tell which of us is correct, but I don't personally find, for example,  Gordrakk raiding a stormvault and getting a cool battering ram to be on the same level of "these are formerly reclusive factions becoming active because of the stormvaults being unveiled".

Also do you really think Grotbag Scuttlers and Devoted of Sigmar are going to come before Slaves to Darkness and Seraphon? Based on what?

Edit: I think the one thing that works against the Soulblight theory is that nothing about the Forbidden Power story references Vampires in any way.

OTOH, no one has said there is only one new Death army coming, and there has been a lot of Nerferata fiction coming out in recent months.

Edited by madmac

15 minutes ago, Mikarovic said:

On the Warhammer Community page for the  Las Vegas Open (here) where the aforementioned confirmation of each Grand Alliance getting at least one more battletome, the image attached shows a Vampire count. We can guess a Soulblight Battletome is in the future, hopefully a faction of Vampires too stuck-up to kneel before Nagash.  This, if true, would explain why Vampire Knights and Zombies didn't get new miniatures with the Legions of Nagash release. 

LVOStudioPreview-Feb7-NewBattletomes27tceg.jpg

That would be great! Thanks all for your answers ;)

42 minutes ago, PaniuBraniu said:

After Nick Horth is the writer of "Thieves Paradise" my guess would be that it is a story with "Shev Arclis" who was also in Callis and Toll: The Silver Shard

• Like 3

Anything mentioned in Lore or in artwork is NEVER confirmed models EVER. Heck there are loads of old world stories which reference the Araby, even the mighty Gotrek and Felix travel to their lands in one short story. Thing is GW can use lore and art to display things that they have ideas for, but which never make it into models. Perhaps they were going to and then cancelled the idea; perhaps it was never an idea; perhaps its the writer inventing ideas and putting them into the world setting etc...

It's neat to talk about but should never EVER be taken as rumour for upcoming releases. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FFJump said:

"Tomb Kings" are returning, being re-done not as a new army, but a "new " one. In the same manner as Daughters of Khaine and Gloomspite Gitz, with a mix of new and old models and re-named. So, they won't be "Tomb Kings" they'll be AoS-fied Egyptian army in the vein of Tomb Kings.  He also heard about some more Deathrattle, of which The Sepulcharal Guard are a preview at how some of the new skellies will look. Of this part he is not certain, but in his opinion the two are one and the same.

Reveal hidden contents

RumorsPic.PNGTomb Kings - Info Blocked.png

With all of the  Egyptian-fitting forbidden power scenery, pyramids, etc, it is hardly a stretch of the imagination to see them trying to bring them in.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, madmac said:

Eh, yes it's full of mentions of other factions, but I found the framing for those three to be unique. Just because I haven't quoted literally the whole book doesn't mean I didn't read it.

Time will tell which of us is correct, but I don't personally find, for example,  Gordrakk raiding a stormvault and getting a cool battering ram to be on the same level of "these are formerly reclusive factions becoming active because of the stormvaults being unveiled".

Also do you really think Grotbag Scuttlers and Devoted of Sigmar are going to come before Slaves to Darkness and Seraphon? Based on what?

Yeah, sorry if I wasn't clear : GS et DoS may be coming sometimes and surely AFTER StD. Wanderer and Seraphon may be getting the BT + scenery + spells treatment.

And what I meant is that I disagree with you about your interpretation of that specific paragraph, that's all.

IMO the paragraph you quoted is very benign in comparison with the numerous hints in Malign Portents, the Core Book, Malign Sorcery, Hedonites of Slaanesh and other recent Battletomes, and more importantly, the rest of the FB book.

Tyrion and Teclis, or Devoted of Sigmar, get longer screen time, and certain units too. The Gordrakk paragraph mentions his "wars to come" and even give us a new, specific unit description (the battering ram), I mean it's more hint-y than "and then the Seraphon defended a ziggurat", which just give us several reason to have different armies fighting over the Stormvaults.

Other things to take into account is the repetitions of mentions, like that "Necromancers flesh palanquin" that was also in Malign Portent short stories (those stories that also contained the first mention of the penumbral engines that ended up getting a model). It's like the union of the Collegiate Arcane, Eldtrich Council and Swifthawk Agents in Malign Sorcery ; those factions were not updated, even with a paragraph looking like the one you quoted...

Edited by HorticulusTGA

30 minutes ago, Overread said:

Anything mentioned in Lore or in artwork is NEVER confirmed models EVER. Heck there are loads of old world stories which reference the Araby, even the mighty Gotrek and Felix travel to their lands in one short story. Thing is GW can use lore and art to display things that they have ideas for, but which never make it into models. Perhaps they were going to and then cancelled the idea; perhaps it was never an idea; perhaps its the writer inventing ideas and putting them into the world setting etc...

It's neat to talk about but should never EVER be taken as rumour for upcoming releases. 

And yet, we had TONS of hints in fluff and artworks about new releases, months, sometimes YEARS in advance (see the first AOS core book and the Kharadron, for example). 

Of course, one mention here and there doesn't mean anything. But when we don't have other rumors, it's interesting to screen the current fluff to search for hints ;) 

And I really believe you can discover patterns and repetitions, and  sometimes explicitly clear announcements in the fluff, like the Malign Portents stories that straight out described the Nighthaunt soul stealers models. 

Edited by HorticulusTGA

It varies and even then things come out wrong. Eg the new horse-headed ghosts were originally described as undead skaven in one novel. Sometimes the writers only get a hint at new releases if they get anything at all. Also sometimes when you get a new model that was hinted at years before its not because the author was inspired by the design team, but the other way around and the design team ran with an authors idea. Or perhaps a concept idea that someone came up with gets used by an author and that pushes it forward.

Patterns are hard to work out, though normally somethign that GW is marketing heavily in a big buildup like Malign Portents "can" be more reliable to guess from rather than, say, a short story in Inferno. But still its all hard to fathom - great to chat and speculate, just don't get your hopes up (or get them up high enough to convert your own inspired by the creatures of the stories) 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Overread said:

It varies and even then things come out wrong. Eg the new horse-headed ghosts were originally described as undead skaven in one novel. Sometimes the writers only get a hint at new releases if they get anything at all. Also sometimes when you get a new model that was hinted at years before its not because the author was inspired by the design team, but the other way around and the design team ran with an authors idea. Or perhaps a concept idea that someone came up with gets used by an author and that pushes it forward.

Patterns are hard to work out, though normally somethign that GW is marketing heavily in a big buildup like Malign Portents "can" be more reliable to guess from rather than, say, a short story in Inferno. But still its all hard to fathom - great to chat and speculate, just don't get your hopes up (or get them up high enough to convert your own inspired by the creatures of the stories) 

Nice.

Things that can mean something, or can mean nothing, and aren't really sources or rumours, but are often treated as if they were evidence of something:  Black Library stories, various webstore status changes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FFJump said:

Hello everyone, so I've been a long-time lurker, first time poster. So, for the past half a decade (been in the hobby for 10 years), I've been collecting and cataloging rumors in my spare time for fun. Literally all rumors I come across from any source, trusted rumor-lords to even /tg/ ones just to piece things together because I like making predictions based off the data. Most of its 40K related, so not much AoS (Attached so you can see I'm not lying lol). Anyways, I come today because in the past few years I've had a friend who has been telling me things that have increasingly come to pass. Now, to be honest a lot can be considered "obvious", but a few stand-out examples was when he told me shortly after the release Legions of Nagash that Warherd and Brayherd were being combined into a battletome in a similar format, and 2 years ago he told me in a couple years we'd get a Keeper of Secrets and daemons seperate from an Emperor's Children release (something else he says is coming next year but has been repeated by many). Now, the thing is, most recently, he has come to me with a very particular rumor. I trust the guy complicity, but even I had to swallow a bit when he told me. Going through my collection, only one other non-4chan rumor-lord that I know of has posted anything similar, and that was over a year ago in the comments of Naftka by a person that hardly posts rumors. (Which I attached with info redacted as I don't think the person wants to be put on the spot). So I've decided to post my friend's rumor, because if it comes to pass he get's bragging rights. The following is from my friend paraphrased by me:

"Tomb Kings" are returning, being re-done not as a new army, but a "new " one. In the same manner as Daughters of Khaine and Gloomspite Gitz, with a mix of new and old models and re-named. So, they won't be "Tomb Kings" they'll be AoS-fied Egyptian army in the vein of Tomb Kings.  He also heard about some more Deathrattle, of which The Sepulcharal Guard are a preview at how some of the new skellies will look. Of this part he is not certain, but in his opinion the two are one and the same.

I personally have a Tomb Kings army, so I have to be honest and say I'm very biased in my belief in his info lol. He has no info on date, but from my personal experience his rumors have come to pass as soon as 6 months to as far as 2 years so who knows. So maybe its the upcoming Death Battletome or maybe we'll see it after all the tomes have been updated. That's all I've got on that. I don't have much else AoS-wise, I've got a collection from various 40K rumors but its all just stuff I've screencapped like I said. An interesting tidbit  though regarding the recent rumor engine pics that look like dinosaurs: I have a couple screencaps where Atia said a few years ago that we may get Exodites (for 40K) in a few years (from that point in time). My friend has also said that Seraphon were not getting a major release of models outside of spells, terrain, and tome for a while, so maybe a correlation.

Reveal hidden contents

RumorsPic.PNGTomb Kings - Info Blocked.png

No offense but after reading it over 10 times i am not sure if you trolling the TK fans.. especially mentioning 4chan.. your entire post reads like a 4chan post.. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Overread said:

(Off topic, but can you tell us which novel that was, please ? Because it looks too close to the general misconception people made when Soul Wars came out. even if as JR said here, authors sometimes get told the wrong names.)

And I was only responding to your quote saying : "Anything mentioned in Lore or in artwork is NEVER confirmed models EVER", which is quite an exaggeration ;)

Anyway, what you say about the relation between authors and models designers just prove further that we should talk about the fluff and artworks as it may contains different kind of hints.  

Once more, we are guessing and reasoning about rumors in the rumors thread. As you say, everybody should remains cautious about that, and there is no absolute truth in the rumor business until releases. Yet it's interesting and sometimes helpful to discuss about possibilities based on educated guesses, which is quite different as baseless speculations, as the Spirit Torments, Penumbral Engine, Kharadron Overlords, etc.etc.  proved already.