The Rumour Thread

6 hours ago, Mandzak-Miniatures said:

Gotrek looks great, but I wish they wouldn’t loophole deader than dead’s from the end times. I’d like focus on new heroes 

He was one of the few who didn’t die. His last mention was his own book where he decided to step into the realm of chaos and defend a portal for eternity. His coming back was fine for me. 

I personally have more problems with the loophole they left themselves that sigmar is also reforging souls from the old world. 

Basically a couple returning characters is a nice nod to long time players but I agree it’s getting a bit much. 

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Kramer said:

He was one of the view who didn’t die. His last mention was his own book where he decided to step into the realm of chaos and defend a portal for eternity. He was fine for me. 

I personally have more problems with the loophole they left themselves that sigmar is also reforging souls from the old world. 

Basically a couple returning characters is a nice nod to long time players but I agree it’s getting a bit much. 

It got too much ages ago. AoS should have remained its own thing and they should have continued to create new characters. Having put the eight lamentations trilogy on the backburner (which pretty much feels like they have killed that series off) was a bad enough mistake, but to replace it with more old world rehashes, at this point they should say, look the old world is coming back and stop having people buy into AoS as a setting, before people are as invested into it as people were the old world when WFB was replaced.

They didn't even need to change much with the current Gotrek books to still have them work. Could have been any new dwarven hero, that had the familiarity of the Gotrek stories and left a few hints in the books here and there that he is 'Gotrek reborn' or whatever. But rehashing old world heroes every time there is a release has ruin a big part of what made AoS more open and exciting than WFB in the first place.

What makes me laugh even more is the people that get so annoyed when hobbyists use models/characters/ideas from the old world that don't belong or no longer exist in the realms. At this point, it's only a matter of time before said item has found it's way back into the realms anyway. Might as well let people get in on it a bit early.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

There are a few undersea races that we haven't seen any art for, presumably because they are unlikely to be models. GW are unlikely to have two undersea armies I think. 

Kelpdar are meant to be sentient and afraid of the idoneth, there is another group afraid of the idoneth also. 

There are beastmen of chaos who have sea creature bodies to some extent. 

Also lots of huge sea creatures and monsters who occasionally attack. Some of which are presumably large enough to threaten settlements. 

It also seems to be implied that daemons of chaos can manifest in the sea. 

So lore wise idoneth have a few threats, but generally they seem to be pretty dominant. The main threat is not having enough souls or losing too many on raids. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BrownDog said:

That's weird, considering that Reynolds himself posted here only a while ago saying that the 8L trilogy had been put on hold and he didn't know when it would return, if ever. His comment even suggests that he's not written the 2nd book yet. Unless things have changed in two weeks, but they put this together very quickly if the plans did change.

27 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

He's not a god, or even a super powered dude.

Actually he is. He was chosen by Grimnir as his temporary replacement for the End Times. And he spent all those millenia in the Realm of Chaos, so time had no meaning for him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RexHavoc said:

It got too much ages ago. AoS should have remained its own thing and they should have continued to create new characters. Having put the eight lamentations trilogy on the backburner (which pretty much feels like they have killed that series off) was a bad enough mistake, but to replace it with more old world rehashes, at this point they should say, look the old world is coming back and stop having people buy into AoS as a setting, before people are as invested into it as people were the old world when WFB was replaced.

They didn't even need to change much with the current Gotrek books to still have them work. Could have been any new dwarven hero, that had the familiarity of the Gotrek stories and left a few hints in the books here and there that he is 'Gotrek reborn' or whatever. But rehashing old world heroes every time there is a release has ruin a big part of what made AoS more open and exciting than WFB in the first place.

What makes me laugh even more is the people that get so annoyed when hobbyists use models/characters/ideas from the old world that don't belong or no longer exist in the realms. At this point, it's only a matter of time before said item has found it's way back into the realms anyway. Might as well let people get in on it a bit early.

GW can't win here however, some express opinions like yourself, while others want the return on tomb kings and bretonnians. I think they are striking a pretty good balance of nods to the rich history of warhammer while giving a AoS spin on it. One thing I really enjoyed about realmslayer was seeing the mortal realms through the eyes of someone newly arrived there, just like we are. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RexHavoc said:

I totally agree wth this. AoS is losing lots of its uniqueness and becoming too much fantasy. If we see another old character return to lead the death army it’s basically over. At this point we’re getting more fantasy releases compared to AoS ones. No new characters, no truly new armies, and almost no new lore or books for the new characters or new armies. No book about the heroics of Brokk from the KO or High King Volturnos. These are huge major players and all they have is some small blurbs in their dexes. The way new armies get treated in  AoS you would think we’re the bad ones for liking AoS for what it was and supporting it when no one else liked it. Where the hell were all the fantasy fans back in the day if they cared so much about it? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5

12 hours ago, Overread said:

Idoneth game wise are probably the safest faction in so much as their main cities and places of habitation are all under the sea. Lore wise they are not much safer as there are sea races down there in the deep oceans. There's an Inferno (I think 1st or 2nd book) which details undersea creatures on the side of the Sylvanath. Sea Nymphs who tend kelp gardens with mighty sea serpents and more. All open to corruption and war with chaos and all easily able to threaten the Idoneth. 

Scourge Pirates also have vast Krackens that they ride around in huge Black Ark city ships. So lore wise there's lots to be dangerous in the seas, but even if GW did a new "Man O War" game we might not see much of it unless one faction chooses to come onto the land as the Idoneth have done. 

Don’t forget skaven drained an entire sea lol causing an entire enclave to be wiped out. Can’t drain the air from the realms or ark least they haven’t found a way yet but the gobbos did take over a lesser port and turned it grotbag  settlement. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

GW can't win here however, some express opinions like yourself, while others want the return on tomb kings and bretonnians. I think they are striking a pretty good balance of nods to the rich history of warhammer while giving a AoS spin on it. One thing I really enjoyed about realmslayer was seeing the mortal realms through the eyes of someone newly arrived there, just like we are. 

Those things are completely different though. I'm all for bringing back Tomb kings or Bretonnians. Hell, I'd love to see Firmir return. I'm still hoping wood elves finally come back as a battletome.

What I dislike is the rehashing of all the old characters, many of which were mortal and most of which had endings to their story during the end times.

I can understand that they brought Thanquol & Nagash back, as both had huge new models during the endtimes and they wouldn't want to ditch new kits like that so easily. They are very distinct kits as well, would have been harder to pull off introducing them as new characters, espcailly so close to the end times stuff being released. Nagash being a god made is doubly easy to bring him into the realms. (Lore wise Nagash is a silly model to have though tbh, but that's a different rant lol)

But we are a few years into AoS now and they would have had to go through a whole lot of effort and conscious design to bring Gotrek back now, both with the novels and with a new model. They are playing on the sense of nostalgia, trying to bring back  some of that WFB cash they drove off by 'destroying the old world' (as the people that hate AoS would say). It might make good business sense right now, a nice easy injection of cash. But there was a reason that after 30 years of WFB standing still and not moving forward, it became stale and unprofitable . AoS is heading in that same direction the more of the old world they bring back into it.
The end times showed that GW were finally willing to move the timeline on and that put characters in mortal danger. I have never seen a point in reading or watching stories were there is so much 'sales armour' (like plot armour, where GW won't want to loose model/book sales for a 'dead' character, so they stagnate the story line to protect them) that no one is really in any danger. It removes all tension when a hero is about to be beaten in the big show down, but you already know that he's in no danger because he'll be back next week. (YMMV of course, this isn't true for everyone, otherwise people would have stopped reading Marvel comics decades ago)

We have realms of infinite possibility and while many of the old armies should/could be brought back with battletomes (why exclude people from using models they already own or having new models for old lines) bringing back named character after named character is taking away what was special about AoS in the first place. Plus it leads to disappointment from people who didn't see characters brought back- why did Gotrek & Thanquol make the cut to be brought back, but Skarsnik wasn't? Why should any Grot fan care about the plans of the Loonking when we know if we bug GW enough, We can have skarsnik back and the loonking can be forgotten about.

(model wise: I don't care what models you want to play, I'm happy to see cool models used from the old world in AoS. They don't have to be the named character they once were. The Gotrek model is stunning. I'll probably pick one up to paint as is and one to add to my chaos Kharadrons. I don't see me being thrilled to seeing him my AoS games as Gotrek though. I still have tons of named Goblin characters being used for things as grots)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Barkanaut said:

I totally agree wth this. AoS is losing lots of its uniqueness and becoming too much fantasy. If we see another old character return to lead the death army it’s basically over. At this point we’re getting more fantasy releases compared to AoS ones. No new characters, no truly new armies, and almost no new lore or books for the new characters or new armies. No book about the heroics of Brokk from the KO or High King Volturnos. These are huge major players and all they have is some small blurbs in their dexes. The way new armies get treated in  AoS you would think we’re the bad ones for liking AoS for what it was and supporting it when no one else liked it. Where the hell were all the fantasy fans back in the day if they cared so much about it? 

Do you really think a small handful of named individuals being recycled is AoS becoming 'too much like fantasy'? 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Except Gotrek didn't die in the End times, the Bretonnians and tomb kings did however. 

There are way more new characters than one's who survived the End Times. 

One of the best things about the mortal realms is there infinite scope, if you can imagine it, it can happen and like I said I do think GW is striking a good balance of history and new stuff

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

Except Gotrek didn't die in the End times, the Bretonnians and tomb kings did however. 

There are way more new characters than one's who survived the End Times. 

One of the best things about the mortal realms is there infinite scope, if you can imagine it, it can happen and like I said I do think GW is striking a good balance of history and new stuff

Exactly so.  

There are a ton of new characters in AoS, and the Fantasy callbacks are either very few in number (ie - Gotrek), made into gods (Alariel) or are just a random little fluff mention (Skarsnik maybe kinda-sorta being turned into an asteroid that orbits the Bad Moon).

While I do see where these folks are coming from, to listen to them you'd think that every single new book had multiple recycled Fantasy characters all equipped with a multi-novel Black Library series.

Edited by mikethefish
  • Like 2

If we're going to get rid of all the old world characters then lets start at the top. That Sigmar guy was already dead long before the End Times! Its thus ridiculous that he's one of the most powerful people in the new setting! They should clearly be more original.

They might need to change the name of the game though...

(I case anyone can't tell, this post isn't entirely serious.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Ok, so if we ignore Nagash, Sigmar, archaon, Gorkamorka, Alarielle and grungni (as the game itself was built around them becoming gods) and I'm ignoring things like the named chaos deamons (like the Glottkin).

Off the top of my head we have:

-Gotrek
-Vali
-Mannfred
-simulacra of the rest of the Von Carsteins
- Arkhan
-Neferata
-Naaima
-Morathi
-Tyrion
-Teclis
-Grimnir
-Thanquol
-Boneripper
- Balthasar Gelt
-Lord Kroak

I've discounted the 'Settra is a stormcast' as that was only ever hinted at as a passing comment and probably just one of those things they threw in there as a joke or to see everyone go nuts over it online. I've ignored one character who pops up in one story as a ghost as it's a spoiler and it's not *really* them, just a dead them. Skarsnik is an odd one, but I do find that his 'return' is a far more fitting reward for him, rather than his Padme Amidala ending in the end times. Again, it was only really hinted at.

While I hold my hands up and agree that it's not exactly a HUGE list, it is a largely noticeable list, even more so when we are getting a 2nd set of Gotrek audios and new book and more short stories, where there are AoS stories waiting to be told or finished.

I'm also not dead against bringing old characters back or making the realms a more 'old world' friendly place. I just want to see AoS be able to bring new things which can stand on their own, otherwise they might as well just say, you know what it  was a mistake to blow the old world up and go back to the WFB setting. Because that's what is currently feels like. I'd like to see what they do with the Von Carstein stuff, that would make a for a brilliant joint reintroduction for the freeguild battletome for instance, and I have the Neferata books to read (and will be buying the new one).

The biggest problem is the future. As more characters are brought back, I've noticed more and more people demand other characters to be brought back. GW will go where the money is of course, but people could just play WFB if they wanted too, or even play AoS rules but set in the old world.

I think its one of those things were both opinions are both right and both wrong, so I'm going to leave this here and get back to painting lol

*Though if we are just bringing back as much WFB as we can to the realms, I'd take a new AoS designed Darkblade model in a heartbeat! :)*

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

Morathi is a demigod and Tyrion, Teclis and Malarion are all gods in the setting as well so they should be up there with Sigmar. Heck Morathi is a cornerstone of the whole Aelf lore in how it was she who enabled them to capture Slaanesh and extract the souls from his belly.

Boneripper also never made it, he's dead. In fact Boneripper died the first time we ever met him. Thanquol just gets new rat ogres and calls them the same name, so long as he's around the rippers will be too. Also skaven hanging around makes sense since they basically just sneaked out of the Old into the New and of all the factions they are almost unchanged from what they were before; in fact most of their change is just being even MORE skaven. Bigger weapons, bigger monsters, more pestilent poxes etc....

Also Gotrek was early in the AoS lore, he came back right around 2nd edition with the first audiobook. Heck for Old World he's probably the biggest hero right up there alongside marines in terms of the volume of books dedicated to him (and Felix). 

Also don't forget those returned heroes feel bigger only because they've more background to them; I'm sure AoS will have many heroes rise to the fore of its own; its still finding its feet lorewise. It's got 30 years to catch up on and the first 2 or 3 years of AoS were a mess from management.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, RexHavoc said:

, or even play AoS rules but set in the old world.

Ekhm, Warhammer Legends?

And as @Ogregut already said Gotrek is the best character for "Tour de Mortal Realms" books as he looks at them as we players do (especially old WFB players that only recently dived into AoS).

• Like 2