The Rumour Thread

13 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

Just ran another test -- even if it's on the smallest base that I can possibly imagine (the 75mm oval, which is smaller than a skullcrusher base), you can still fit 40 25mm rounds within 3". I got 44 in 3" without optimizing too hard, so that leaves room for the prow of the ship to block a couple of models as well.

Would love to have you buy my side the next time I go shopping for grocery. Bet you pack a mean shopping bag😉

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

Mechanics that test against the target's bravery are much more relevant. As @Charlo suggested, the various Death factions have quite a few such mechanics.

Aye, as a Death player, when I'm targeting bravery I'm not even considering battleshock. I'm more so looking at, to give an example, Soul Stealer which causes D6 mortal wounds if I roll higher than double the targets bravery with 2D6. Horrorghast immediately jumped out at me from that preview - it looks awesome. 

11 minutes ago, Belakor said:

fp.JPG.151e45e4999a89fd5e3c9a37672784dc.JPG

Can this be a thing? What do you think?

There seems to be a new death army coming, could it be a dead army from the "sea"??

The undead Pirate Faction from Total War Warhammer 2 got a lot of positive feedback and I could imagine GW is aware of this. Therefore I guess it is at least something the designers might concider one day, althrough I don´t know how soon.

The quoted piece you pasted really looks like a hint, especially as WarCom Articles really like to do so in exactly this way: Drop a bit of Lore-Rumours for a time before teasing anything.
I would yet be carefull if it is related to a GA Death Faction. Could be also a Stand Alone Kit like the Bugthing for 40k/Blackstone, a completely new faction for one of the other GA´s, an endless Spell, Vol II of Forbidden Power etc.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Charleston said:

The undead Pirate Faction from Total War Warhammer 2 got a lot of positive feedback and I could imagine GW is aware of this. Therefore I guess it is at least something the designers might concider one day, althrough I don´t know how soon.

The quoted piece you pasted really looks like a hint, especially as WarCom Articles really like to do so in exactly this way: Drop a bit of Lore-Rumours for a time before teasing anything.
I would yet be carefull if it is related to a GA Death Faction. Could be also a Stand Alone Kit like the Bugthing for 40k/Blackstone, a completely new faction for one of the other GA´s, an endless Spell, Vol II of Forbidden Power etc.

I really think the key here is "ancient evil trapped on the shores of Lake Lethis" Really lends itself to some more Death goodies. You give me some spooky pirates and Ill buy em sight unseen.

It takes around 3 years to design a new faction according to the studio designer present at the Warhammer fest therefore any undead pirates inspiration coming from total war game is way off this year. It is not to say GW didn’t think about it 3 years ago and therefore they have it ready...

However a new death faction would be welcome but I would prefer a replacement for the existing metal or resin models and an integration with new kits. Especially for Soulblight bats...

Damn !!! They're teasing us really hard ! 
As much as I'd love to see Vlad back, if I remember correctly, he's dead, right ? 

The ancient evil is definitely the shape you see in the background here. 

FPUnboxing-May13-Art22ujc.jpg

Also, can we just take a moment to realize that we're living a very exciting time in terms of hobby ? At least on my end, every release gets me really excited, and I have yet to start an actual AoS army because so many great things are likely to come ! 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Saiken said:

Damn !!! They're teasing us really hard ! 
As much as I'd love to see Vlad back, if I remember correctly, he's dead, right ? 

The ancient evil is definitely the shape you see in the background here. 

FPUnboxing-May13-Art22ujc.jpg

Also, can we just take a moment to realize that we're living a very exciting time in terms of hobby ? At least on my end, every release gets me really excited, and I have yet to start an actual AoS army because so many great things are likely to come ! 

Well of course Vlad is dead. He is a vampire after all...

• Haha 3

The funny thing is the Undead of Vampire coast was already a thing in WFB. Back in....6th ed I think ? They were going to be a forgeworld army, big resin ships the whole shebang. Then Pirates of the Carribean came out and GW got very awkward, concerned that Disney might take them to court and squashed the idea. The most that came of it was their involvement in the Lustria campaign book and a White Dwarf army list.

Now though Pirates of the Carribean is a dead franchise no one cares about (Disney make more money from Marvel movies) and GW can theoretically mine the idea (since the OG idea is very old world based) for an AOS faction.

Vampire coasts did well in the computer game, but

a) So too did Bretonnia and Tombkings - arguably more so

b) Computergame markets are not the same as tabletop. There is crossover and there is no denying that more sold games does result in basically free advertising for GW and increased outreach to new potential customers. But its not the same as all the videogame players being tabletop fans. 
Also sometimes what's fun on one format isnt' in another - eg I love marines in Dawn of War 1 and 2; but I don't play tabletop Marines.

• Like 3

Indeed we are on a very nice time for the hobby. I dont know what ancient evil will come out but cant wait to see it. For now a friend and I are going to start a campaign with the malign portens and all soul wars stuff, he had purchased lady O and Im going to get Celestant prime... 

Turning to rumors, I would love to see old tomes that have been mentioned as soon as they can but for sure a new death army would be SO great, and if they are pirates I can´t wait! But thinking of times I dont think a new army will come soon. They have warcry on July so I dont see a new army before Warcry because that game will need money. Next is August that I dont think is a good time for releasing a new army because everybody is spending money on vacation. Then comes September and some people take vacation there or theres no much money to burn. So now we go to almost end of the year. That's my guess, I hope we would have it sooner but I dont see it viable

War Cry is sounding less like Kill Team for AoS, and is sounding more like a weird (and cool) hybrid between Kill Team and Necromunda.

The warbands mimic the concept of the Necromunda gangs, and apparently you can even "level up" some of your guys.  On the other hand, being able to use many of the already existing factions is very evocative of Kill Team - as well as the board size and terrain setup.

Yeah, I think this is rapidly becoming a game I am really looking forward to

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Warcry to me is still a big unknown. I'm preparing for it to be a bit like Looncurse and Carrion Empire, just on a bigger scale. I think if I expect that and it turns out better or more long term I'l lbe more than happy; whilst if it turns into a summer game format only that mostly just delivers some cool chaos models then I'm not left disappointed. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Overread said:

Warcry to me is still a big unknown. I'm preparing for it to be a bit like Looncurse and Carrion Empire, just on a bigger scale. I think if I expect that and it turns out better or more long term I'l lbe more than happy; whilst if it turns into a summer game format only that mostly just delivers some cool chaos models then I'm not left disappointed. 

At Warhammer Fest, they made special note to say that War Cry was a big product that would be continually supported.

As an aside, they also said that the non-Chaos factions (so Gloomspite, Stormcast, etc) would receive War Cry-specific models eventually.  Just not at initial release

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mikethefish said:

At Warhammer Fest, they made special note to say that War Cry was a big product that would be continually supported.

As an aside, they also said that the non-Chaos factions (so Gloomspite, Stormcast, etc) would receive War Cry-specific models eventually.  Just not at initial release

I'd not heard about non-chaos models being potential content. I'd heard that non-chaos armies were getting rules at launch or near after so that other factions could join in. 

19 minutes ago, mikethefish said:

They can't claim otherwise. They just repeat the same thing to every single warcry-like game. The only one being a succes to date is kill team. All the others are slowly (or quickly) vanishing  in the deepness of oblivion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saiken said:

Also that Kraken you see on the picture is very reminiscent of their banner : 

99120212003_BlackArkCorsairsNEW01.jpg 

Yep, in the novella Heart of Winter the black ark in it is build into a giant tentacled sea creature as well. Wouldn't be much of a stretch to put a Cthulhu spin on them.

29 minutes ago, Overread said:

I'm exactly the same. As far as I care right now, it's a big box of terrain and some chaos models to add to my warbands (for skirmish) AT THE MOST.

The shadow war fiasco annoyed me and I brought into kill team on their advertising hype and it was nothing like they originally made it out to be (Thankfully the stuff I brought for it was a good deal for terrain and models for my bits collection anyway and it's all usable in other rulesets) and the necromunda rules release put me off buying into it all.

I currently don't hold much hope that warcry isn't going to be anything but Kill team with a fantasy skin slapped on top. It might have touch of necromunda rules in there, but other games already give me more than kill team with necromunda leftovers.
The first big give away was the tacked on warbands. It's good that they have added them- means more people will be interested. But it does seem like they only intended it to be Chaos Vs Chaos, while that has it own interesting concepts it does also limit what/where they can go with the game. 

I *want* to be excited for the game. I only play skirmish now and only really want to continue to play skirmish level games at this scale (I prefer other scales & rules for my mass warhammer games now) but I can see warcry being released in the same kill team style or 'buy it now before its gone' and in small pieces. I'd rather stick with the skirmish rules and just pick up the individual releases of warcry models/terrain I want when they releases them separately. 

I also don't trust that warcry will be well supported and still be receiving new releases 2 years down the line (I stopped believing them when they say this since they promised the same with Epic 3rd edition, and look how that turned out). Kill team has appeared to become a bit of a mess already- too many books, rules spread out over sets, sets/rules going OOP way too quickly. I don't get enough hobby time as it is, let alone wanting to waste what I do chasing down limited releases or having to rush about on a Saturday morning trying to preorder an item that may or may not have already gone out of stock in the time it takes to mess about with their website inadequacies.
So much easier just buying models than trying to mess about with GW rulesets now. I buy the models I like, print out a warscroll, (take 12 months- 2 years to) paint them(!), and can get them out on the table. So much less stress.  One of them main reasons I've been 'happy' to chase down as much of the new AoS stuff as I have been this past year, as this will be the last edition I ever buy anyway, so I only have to chase all those limited releases this once.

• Like 2