The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, Tonhel said:

Very unlikely, but it would nice to see finally a mini for Abhorash.

This! Would make me so happy to have a mini for him. Probably be let down by under par rules but sod it, I don’t think I’d care too much.

12 minutes ago, El Syf said:

This! Would make me so happy to have a mini for him. Probably be let down by under par rules but sod it, I don’t think I’d care too much.

A friend of mine (who later went on to work as a games developer for GW for a bit) once wrote rules for Aborash as a laugh. He had weapon skill 11. 😬

• LOVE IT! 1

3 hours ago, sorokyl said:

These predictions of which armies per grand alliance are forgetting this tidbit from the Las Vegas Open studio preview: 

At least 1 brand new army, It could be interpreted as multiple, but let's say it's just 1. I would call deathrattle or soulblight a "classic army updated for the new edition", as even though they don't currently have a battletome, they have a keyword, and in 1 case, a start collecting box. Certainly not "New"

So I expect at least a new Teclis faction or a brand new Death faction by the end of the year. 

I still think Darkoath are the most likely “new” army for this year. Just a little more noise about them than anything else.

Dark Oath are still under a big question mark of if they will ever actually come. They sort of copy-cat everything Slaves to Darkness do and GW could even rename Slaves into Darkoath. 

The risk is that they create two chaos armies that are basically very similar in appeal and style and design. Already they've rolled Everchosen into Slaves to Darkness (partly because Everchosen had 2 models to its name, one a super high priced horse the other a super high priced dragon beast) and it might just make more sense to have Darkoath being a subset of Slaves to Darkness. Perhaps limiting Dark Oath to just "slaves" models with no option for demonic allies, whilst allowing Slaves to take demonic allies.

That alone would set them apart from each other lore and style wise 

14 minutes ago, ManlyMuppet88 said:

I still think Darkoath are the most likely “new” army for this year. Just a little more noise about them than anything else.

I think they will release Darkoath/Everchosen/Slave to darkness once all the Warcry warbands get released so all the Warscrolls can be put in the battle-tome at one time

4 minutes ago, novakai said:

I think they will release Darkoath/Everchosen/Slave to darkness once all the Warcry warbands get released so all the Warscrolls can be put in the battle-tome at one time

If the minis are versatile enough, that could be a nice way to do it - use the old StD models as generic Chaos barbarians and the Warcry models as the elite of each tribe.

5 minutes ago, novakai said:

Warcry gangs will have warscrolls for AOS on the launch (GW said that already), but those war bands cannot be the meat and bread of the StD/Darkoath/Everchosen updates : 1. they are non-standard in size (usually 5, 10, 20 models) and also under strength, see the WHU warbands in Battletomes , 2. they are not homogenous in terms of options (there are too many, a pain in the a to play in a large scale game), and 3. they are all equivalent (i.e. half naked light infantry barbarians) in terms of "tactical" fonctions - it would be like GW releasing 6 Liberators boxes with a few armor design differences and call it "a range update". 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ManlyMuppet88 said:

Sorry, Darkoath is not new if half of their range is Slaves to Darkness / Everchosen. 

I am also in the boat of "Darkoath is not happening" , in the sense that I think that Warcry/Underworlds warband makes up the bulk of any new miniatures to the Slaves to Darkness, and we know from Underworlds that these little warbands do not translate well to AoS (though I'm sure they'll have warscrolls, you won't want an army of them).   

Maybe there will be a battletome+spells+terrain release that includes STD + everchosen + warcry. Maybe they will call it Darkoath ( I suspect not) but it's not a new army. 

I'm sure StD/Darkoath/Everchosen is happening sometimes in 2019 (and that it's NOT Warcry, i.e. a distinct, Skirmish-focused IP, see above).

Because :

1. It's an important army. At WHFest they said Archaon is preparing to fight back Sigmar and Nagash. The Darkoath get mentions in the fluff and new artworks since Malign Portents book and short stories, in AOS2 Core Book, and in new Battletomes (lastly Hedonites). Based on that, there should be a new Maraudeurs kit - i.e. the Darkoath, similar to the WHU Godsworn, the Warqueen and the Chieftain - (like we saw ghosts in MP lore and arts that ended up being Chainrasps)  -, and a new Chaos Warriors / Chosen / Varanguard of foot kit (we even saw a close looking Rumor Engine). 

2. The Darkoath (who have StD keyword) got the same treatment as Stormcast (Sacrosanct), Nighthaunt and Gloomspite Gitz : a Malign Portents Harbinger, a WHU Warbands, and the last three got a full army release and a new Battletome.

StD will maybe get a smaller release (Barbarians, New Warriors, 1-2 Heroes, maybe a big kit like an AOSified Chaos Mammoth), and the current StD/Everchosen range (chariots, war-shrine, chimera, sorcerer and lord on foot and on manticore, chaos knights, marauders riders, Varanguard, Archaon and Gaunt Summoner) + scenery and endless spells of course. 

--

A few hints : 

https://malignportents.com/story/the-scent/

Hedonites Of Slaanesh Battletome, page 25. 

Darkoath_MP.png.9db640b52f0e071a7a4583e4d8a30d76.png

1954822619_Darkoath_VsFreePeople.png.a710c467d3b617a9c5f7d31bfdc042f0.png

NewCW5.png.386b783f15bfbe09f739d399bfb48df9.png

• Like 6

1 hour ago, HorticulusTGA said:

Warcry gangs will have warscrolls for AOS on the launch (GW said that already), but those war bands cannot be the meat and bread of the StD/Darkoath/Everchosen updates : 1. they are non-standard in size (usually 5, 10, 20 models) and also under strength, see the WHU warbands in Battletomes , 2. they are not homogenous in terms of options (there are too many, a pain in the a to play in a large scale game), and 3. they are all equivalent (i.e. half naked light infantry barbarians) in terms of "tactical" fonctions - it would be like GW releasing 6 Liberators boxes with a few armor design differences and call it "a range update". 

well I mean along with new chaos models, the Warcry model would have entries in the battletome but the release would at least include a range refresh (varanguard on foot and new marauders). since they confirm that the Warcry warbands are part of StD I would think that the Darkoath release would happen when all the warband are release so everything is all in the same book, I say that because GW has started to make an effort to put shadespire warbands in battletomes now.

4 minutes ago, novakai said:

well I mean along with new chaos models, the Warcry model would have entries in the battletome but the release would at least include a range refresh (varanguard on foot and new marauders). since they confirm that the Warcry warbands are part of StD I would think that the Darkoath release would happen when all the warband are release so everything is all in the same book, I say that because GW has started to make an effort to put shadespire warbands in battletomes now.

Oh well I think you're right

(Maybe the only difference is that WHU warbands were always envisioned as different versions of the same baseline units and Heroes - with a few exceptions - while Warcry are Skirmish-focused gangs of individual warriors. Like the Traitor Guardsmen got 40k rules with WHQ Blackstone Fortress, but didn't got thrown into the new Chaos Space Marines codex or in Vigilus Ablaze).

Is it wishlisting time yet?

So we are on week 20 out of 52. In those 20 weeks, we saw the release of 7 new Battletomes(I'm counting Sylvaneth because it should already be out). Let's imagine, in our wildest wishlisting dreams, that this represent the average of the whole year. That would give us about 18 battletomes for the year, with about 11  releases left. Isn't that an insane number? Actually no it's not, it's the number of codex released for 40k in the year following 8th edition.  In one of the podcast, someone from GW said that they want ALLthe armies to have a battletome within a year or two, so we have to reason to doubt they'll slow down until they're done.

Let's suppose that Forbidden Powers and Warcry each take one of these slots, because they are big releases. That leaves us with 9 beautiful slots open for speculations. We can also note that at this point that this year we've had a major release (Gloomspike Gits) and a moderate release(Slaneesh), and a bunch of "Endless spell + terrain" package.

Now for the real speculation:

Order: Seraphon, Kharadron, some sort of new Aelves army (major release), Free people
Chaos: Tzeench, Slaves to Everchosen (with maybe a pinch of barbarians)
Destruction: Soup Orruks(Ironjaw and Savage and maybe some repackaged greenskins), Soup Ogors(Including BCR)
Death: Flying pirate zombies. Because it would be cool.
Since pretty much all the Death models are already in a book, it would be either a major release or a new type of battletome that would either put some models in multiple armies, or expend on one from LoN (probably Soulblight).

30 minutes ago, Minis by Night said:

Is it wishlisting time yet?

So we are on week 20 out of 52. In those 20 weeks, we saw the release of 7 new Battletomes(I'm counting Sylvaneth because it should already be out). Let's imagine, in our wildest wishlisting dreams, that this represent the average of the whole year. That would give us about 18 battletomes for the year, with about 11  releases left. Isn't that an insane number? Actually no it's not, it's the number of codex released for 40k in the year following 8th edition.  In one of the podcast, someone from GW said that they want ALLthe armies to have a battletome within a year or two, so we have to reason to doubt they'll slow down until they're done.

Let's suppose that Forbidden Powers and Warcry each take one of these slots, because they are big releases. That leaves us with 9 beautiful slots open for speculations. We can also note that at this point that this year we've had a major release (Gloomspike Gits) and a moderate release(Slaneesh), and a bunch of "Endless spell + terrain" package.

Now for the real speculation:

Order: Seraphon, Kharadron, some sort of new Aelves army (major release), Free people
Chaos: Tzeench, Slaves to Everchosen (with maybe a pinch of barbarians)
Destruction: Soup Orruks(Ironjaw and Savage and maybe some repackaged greenskins), Soup Ogors(Including BCR)
Death: Flying pirate zombies. Because it would be cool.
Since pretty much all the Death models are already in a book, it would be either a major release or a new type of battletome that would either put some models in multiple armies, or expend on one from LoN (probably Soulblight).

They tend to wind down their releases during November and December, plus sister of battle will take up a month so realistically we only have 4 month release window for AoS Battletomes so I doubt it be 11 times I think 5 to 4 is more realistic number of battletome release this year

46 minutes ago, Minis by Night said:

This makes sense to me. Each of the orc factions is so small, having more options within a single orc faction would make them more appealing. Overall the factions seem too fragmented, especially elves, so I hope this is the trend going forward.

Edited by ChaosLord

Anyone got any idea when exactly Warcry should be starting to show up as a whole? Do we think the overly long release time is tied to the Sylvaneth problems, or is it just gw building long-term hype?

Edited by Gaz Taylor
Removed content around politics

10 minutes ago, Mayple said:

Anyone got any idea when exactly Warcry should be starting to show up as a whole? Do we think the overly long release time is tied to the Sylvaneth problems, or is it just gw building long-term hype?

A friend of our local shop owner claims that GW is expecting delays and short supply on pretty much all their 2019 releases (example, the severe lack of Forbidden Power boxes).  Not sure on the credibility of that though, it may just be their sales rep making assumptions.

13 minutes ago, Mayple said:

Pretty sure that's not going to work out the way you want it to. Reconsider your approach. 

July acording to gw.

17 minutes ago, Mayple said:

or is it just gw building long-term hype?

This is my guess. I reckon they'll draw it out until they've revealed the models for the last chaos warband then they'll start doing rules and tactics for each warband including the 9 non chaos ones and then we'll finally see it up for pre-order. It'll probably be done similarly to the Kill Team release.

Edited by Dirtnaps

2 hours ago, ChaosLord said:

This makes sense to me. Each of the orc factions is so small, having more options within a single orc faction would make them more appealing. Overall the factions seem too fragmented, especially elves, so I hope this is the trend going forward.

This is one way to fix things. The better one however would be to simply add 2-3 units to both Ironjawz and Bonesplitterz. That would help with army building options and remaining unique themes for those armies. Simple as that. Don't tell me I'm expecting too much. If GW can release Stormcasts every year or a dozen of Warcry warbands then it can easily create just a few more models for existing factions. 

• Like 4

unfortunately, and as sad as it is for those armies, i think at this point its safe to assume that any army with an existing battletome that gets updated (Seraphon, Kharadron, Tzeentch, Ironjawz etc) will only get the Endless Spells + Terrain (maybe a Hero model) release.

i expect there are 2 exceptions to this however.
-Slaves to Darkness/Everchosen will get new models (Darkoath), how they are released however is anyones guess. for all we know theyll release darkoath via warcry and then end up as a spells + terrain only release
-Soulblight/Deathrattle. if either of these are the upcoming Death battletome, then itll be a Gloomspite/Slaanesh type release, as neither one can function properly as a standalone faction with what they currently have

Edited by Joseph Mackay

On the Darkoath release, I see one of two things happening. As the range is still quite big it will either be a new tome and maybe one/two new units like the last few tomes have been. If so it could be quite soon, or it will be awhile. Because realistically if they choose to replace marauders I’d assume they also would want new warriors of chaos. But that means changing the knights, chariots, chosen maybe the heroes to keep the same aesthetic  as well 

Edited by Gaz Taylor
removed political stuff
  • Like 3